2023 Dallas Cowboys Season Thread

Hermanator

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39624631/cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-take-paternity-test-judge-rules

I came here just to rep that report with the FAFO rep - but nobody else has posted it,
Y'all are falling down

How does she stand to gain financially from this?

Does Jones have to include his children in his will?

Is she entitled to some back child support because JJ and mom made a deal out of court for support?

Is this just a big fuck you admit your my father only law suit?  

There has to be a pot of gold to chase, otherwise why spend the attorney fees?

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

How does she stand to gain financially from this?

Does Jones have to include his children in his will?

Is she entitled to some back child support because JJ and mom made a deal out of court for support?

Is this just a big fuck you admit your my father only law suit?  

There has to be a pot of gold to chase, otherwise why spend the attorney fees?

Maybe it’s as simple as a personal voyage of discovery- she has a father and siblings and nieces and nephews. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, 'stache said:

Just more proof that the organization’s stench is the problem. Guys would rather be coddled by the owner than win fucking playoff games.

And the franchise that scored the worst just won their 3rd Superbowl in 5 years. 

Maybe instead of trying to make players happy it's best to train them mentally and physically to be savages on the field. 

8 hours ago, Hermanator said:

And the franchise that scored the worst just won their 3rd Superbowl in 5 years. 

Maybe instead of trying to make players happy it's best to train them mentally and physically to be savages on the field. 

The Cowboys choose brand over substance....that's the problem. 

Being a Dallas Cowboy > Being a champion

15 hours ago, statsman said:

Maybe it’s as simple as a personal voyage of discovery- she has a father and siblings and nieces and nephews. 

So you're suggesting this isn't a money play, but rather a determination of whether or not the young lady should kill herself?

17 minutes ago, slorch said:

So you're suggesting this isn't a money play, but rather a determination of whether or not the young lady should kill herself?

What money is there to get here? She's over 18 and there's no legal right to any of Jerry's money. 

Seems like she wants acknowledgement. She wants it to be on the record who her dad is, where she came from, and for him to not be able to hide from it any longer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Can you imagine if Mahomes was drafted by a team with a nice locker room?  Would he even still be in the league?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Mahomes would not have made any real difference to this organization. It stinks to its very core, starting at the top, and the coaches he hires. Jason Fucking Garrett probably would have tried to change Mahomes' entire playing style and ruined his career. Or Jerry would insist he play cornerback or something. I 100% believe that to be true.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Over 30 years ago, I lived across the street from this 17/18 year old kid, named (coincidentally) Jerry. Jerry would come over to hang out, because he wasn’t getting along with his stepdad. 

One day he came over and wanted to talk about his situation. He had gotten his girlfriend pregnant. He was wondering what to do. I told him, “Well, Jerry, you’ve got a couple of decisions to make. One of them isn’t ‘whether or not you’ll be a father’, because,…it looks like you’re going to be a father. 
“You have to decide whether or not to marry her. Some people will tell you that you have to, but you don’t. You need to figure out if that’s what’s best, if you two can love and commit and be a good marriage. It may be that you know it’s not right, that it won’t work out. If so, you don’t have to marry her. 
“You also have to decide whether you’ll be a good father or a bad father, and that’s a completely different decision than whether you marry. If you don’t marry, you’re still a father. Are you going to be a good one or a bad one? That’s up to you”. 

He ended up marrying her, getting a job, and last I knew was making it all work. 

Jerry Jones wanted to be a bad father-to have no contact or involvement with his child- but not be known as a bad father. He wanted to pay for silence. He wanted to maintain the image as a doting father for his children with Jean, and not have anybody know of his other child. 

He has made it clear that he has paid as much as he was going to, and won’t pay any more, that he won’t acknowledge this daughter, won’t let her into his or his family’s lives. He’s a bad father. 

Maybe the girl has decided she doesn’t want to support this fiction, that it was a deal her mother made, but she’s not signing on. Maybe she doesn’t want to support the fiction that Jerry Jones’s a good father. That’s her right. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, 'stache said:

Mahomes would not have made any real difference to this organization. It stinks to its very core, starting at the top, and the coaches he hires. Jason Fucking Garrett probably would have tried to change Mahomes' entire playing style and ruined his career. Or Jerry would insist he play cornerback or something. I 100% believe that to be true.

Dallas would have squandered Mahomes' talent and hindered his development as a player. The Cowboys are a totally dysfunctional organization, and Jerry is at the root of the rot. Like BO&W said, the Cowboys choose brand over substance. Jerry would like to win a Super Bowl, but only if he can take all the credit for it. He still gets paid either way. We're doomed as long as the Jones clan owns the team.

caseclosed.gif.a266691f1c9201f9e6b0426ff10fe70c.gif

Edited by General Colt
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

Goddamn I was hoping he’d get a ring.  He will likely get one now that’s he’s leaving Dallas 
Ware got one. Hitchens got one with KC I think. Flozell didn't win one but he immediately went to the Super Bowl when he went to Pittsburgh for his final season.

Tyron still has talent but he's not durable anymore.

Posted (edited)
On 3/1/2024 at 3:47 PM, tokamak said:

Sportrac prediction for Dak's extension, just to give you a little Friday afternoon ragebait.

Hide contents

Screenshot_2024_02_28_at_5_04.17_PM.thumb.png.ca173ae517da514ad7bced6e97e22f98.png

I wish.

its gonna be WAAAAAAAAY worse than that.

Edited by lilMAC25

So who on that list would you rather pay? Or are we going with “just draft Brock Purdy in the seventh round.” It literally doesn’t matter. As long as Jerry and his cunt coaches are around there is zero hope.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/2/2024 at 1:58 PM, Mother mopar said:

He's been a liability for years...between the injuries. This is a great move.

He's been a liability between the injuries?  Are you sure?  He was elite last year when he played..... Better than Zack.  I severely doubt he can play more than 14-15 games total anymore, but give the dude his flowers when he played.  I have no idea what he told Dallas he wanted and I tend to think this is Stephen thinking he's smarter than everyone and negotiating through the press, but this will take major planning to overcome his loss.  We knew it was coming and not sure why everyone is shocked (maybe not here), but add another fucking position of desperate need -- OT, along with LB, DT, CB.  But.... we're all in.  

I would guess the plan right now is to kick out Tyler and start Bass, who I think can play at guard.  But we still need to figure out center and frankly, we need another starting caliber lineman because Zack while still good, definitely started showing cracks and don't get me start in how fucking terrible Steele was last year.  Hopefully 2 years removed from the ACL will make a difference.  It needs to... a big one.

image.thumb.png.e53a82cd79ef467c0443c2aeebaa46b3.png

“Dak is an elite quarterback in this league and that’s why we feel he deserved an extension guaranteeing him $60MM/year for the the next four seasons.  We are committed to Dak moving forward.”

-Jerry Jones, soon

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, statsman said:

Reminder- in the first round playoff game, at home, with a couple minutes left in the first half, Dak was 7-13 for 63 yards, 2 picks, down 0-27. 

Against the 7 seed

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

If they cut Dak and signed Russell Wilson's washed up ass for 2 seasons while getting Trey Lance ready to start how much worse would they be?

So we go from one high paid QB who can't win to another? Russell Wilson has been a big bag of meh since Seattle stripped one of the better modern day defenses we have seen from him. Doesn't improve us at all and the dead money we have to eat on Dak's contract upon cutting him plus Wilson's salary, seems we are in a worse position than we are now. If you are going to cut Dak, then might as well go the younger route at QB. See what Lance has in training camp running the offense. Go find one in the draft maybe. Signing Russell Wilson would be going in the opposite direction we need to.

When is the last time this franchise actually was serious about finding its next QB, Troy Aikman over 3 decades ago? Once Aikman retired, we went into a dark place of QB hell. A who's who of dogshit. Romo stuck around on the practice squad because Parcells/Payton saw progress in him. But even at that, he was about to be cut until Quincy Carter got arrested and it allowed Romo to stay on the roster. Signed washed up Testaverde and Bledsoe who led us nowhere. Parcells finally had enough of Bledsoe and put Romo in on a MNF. And he was our guy for about the next decade. Then insert Dak, who only became the starter because Romo wasn't reliable health wise. But he was never drafted to be the guy. He was going to carry the clipboard for Romo for his tenure here. They backed their way into the last 2 starters we have had for about 2 decades now. 2 guys who never made the team suck enough to find a top QB in the draft but neither were good enough to beat good teams in the playoffs. So we went round and round in the circle of mediocrity.

I don't trust this front office to find the next QB, I don't even think they are confident, which is why they will do the comfortable decision and stick with Dak, a guy they know exactly what they will get.

It doesn't matter who is at QB. When your senile piece of shit coaching staff prepares like 5 plays for a fucking playoff game, is incapable of adjustment when the opposing defense plays well, and your defense puts you in a 21 point hole right off the bat, nobody is going to survive that nonsense. Everyone was covered every play and nothing changed, fuck Jerry, fuck fat mike, fuck quinn, fuck all of them, for real.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

So we go from one high paid QB who can't win to another? Russell Wilson has been a big bag of meh since Seattle stripped one of the better modern day defenses we have seen from him. Doesn't improve us at all and the dead money we have to eat on Dak's contract upon cutting him plus Wilson's salary, seems we are in a worse position than we are now. If you are going to cut Dak, then might as well go the younger route at QB. See what Lance has in training camp running the offense. Go find one in the draft maybe. Signing Russell Wilson would be going in the opposite direction we need to.

When is the last time this franchise actually was serious about finding its next QB, Troy Aikman over 3 decades ago? Once Aikman retired, we went into a dark place of QB hell. A who's who of dogshit. Romo stuck around on the practice squad because Parcells/Payton saw progress in him. But even at that, he was about to be cut until Quincy Carter got arrested and it allowed Romo to stay on the roster. Signed washed up Testaverde and Bledsoe who led us nowhere. Parcells finally had enough of Bledsoe and put Romo in on a MNF. And he was our guy for about the next decade. Then insert Dak, who only became the starter because Romo wasn't reliable health wise. But he was never drafted to be the guy. He was going to carry the clipboard for Romo for his tenure here. They backed their way into the last 2 starters we have had for about 2 decades now. 2 guys who never made the team suck enough to find a top QB in the draft but neither were good enough to beat good teams in the playoffs. So we went round and round in the circle of mediocrity.

I don't trust this front office to find the next QB, I don't even think they are confident, which is why they will do the comfortable decision and stick with Dak, a guy they know exactly what they will get.

Obviously I wouldn't offer Wilson big money. 

It was a hypothetical asking the question "how much worse would the team be?" How much worse say for 2 years with Wilson and how much worse 3+ years from now if they believe Lance can be developed Jordan Love style. 

If you want to miss the playoffs and compete for a top ten pick in the draft, then yeah, consider Wilson or go with Lance. The team finished 12-5 and won the NFC East. The roster has the talent, its the coaching staff that is pathetic, and it shows when faced with good competition, especially the playoffs. They are incapable of preparing for good competition and can't deviate from their pregame script when it isn't working.

So "how much worse can it get" is, it can get a whole lot worse, like 3-14 worse if we go back to a bunch of washouts and nobodies at QB. I'm not going to lose any sleep if they just let Dak go, but not because I think he's the problem, because it doesn't matter, as long as Jerry and his shit for brains coaches that nobody else wants are in charge, there will be zero playoff success, period.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Dak reminds me a lot of Alex Smith. Nice in the regular season, but you know that what he does and the way he plays is never gonna translate to playoff success.

On 3/4/2024 at 12:25 PM, Pam Cummings said:

We wasted an oline with multiple hall of famers on it. We won two whole playoff games with them. Meanwhile Detroit has an elite oline for one single year and wins 2 playoff games.

giphy.gif

In retrospect, does the decision made thirty years ago, by the owner of the most talented roster in NFL history, to create a league salary cap, rank as the dumbest fucking thing ever?

This is wrong. Shittiest era of football ever. Not even close to the most talented roster.

Somewhere in that timeframe it was asked why there were no NFL QBs from Texas. Because those with power in Texas at the high school and college level lacked any foresight.

No 7 on 7. No summer conditioning. Few, if any, wide open offenses. As the offenses opened up, the defenses had to adjust so more speed and agility.

Fast forward and there’s an article saying 25% of NFL starting QBs are from Texas in 2020. One from the prior year saying 16 different high schools produced 18 NFL QBs. That’s one discussion point. I’d bet the number of WRs was limited too. Lotta muscled up dipshits with limited mobility.

So virtually eliminate the state that produces the best talent at the most important position and start there on your talent evaluations.

Yeah we need a real playoff winner like Jordan Love. Such a transcendent talent, just incredible how he completed pass after pass to wide open receivers without a defender within 5 yards. And he did so despite having a young innovative coach, the type that never succeed in today’s game. Old ass retreads that nobody else wants is where it’s at!

• Haha 1

All this talk about QB when the team should be hellbent on improving line play on both sides of the ball. 
Blaming the QB for every single thing is just low hanging fruit activity. They get paid the most so sure, there is going to be a lot of blame placed there. But absolutely, the trenches on both sides are not good, especially on defense. The defensive unit as a whole is dogshit against good teams.
  • Like 1