Dallas Cowboys Metathread - Oh No We Suck Again!

Hermanator

19 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Hopefully he and Pat Mcafee blow out all four knees in a 69 related fiasco. 

Jerry wants to win in the same way that I want to sleep with Charlize Theron. Sure, its been my plan for like 20 years now, and I'm sure I'd enjoy it mightily, but tbh  I'm not really putting in the work to make it happen. 

Your odds are better than Jerry's.

• Rage+1 1

With every WR class being touted as the bestest ever, I wonder how many teams are going to opt to go with the "let them walk and draft another guy" approach. I always thought that the further away you are from the ball, the more expendable you are. This seems especially true for receivers as all the best athletes tend to play that position.

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

With every WR class being touted as the bestest ever, I wonder how many teams are going to opt to go with the "let them walk and draft another guy" approach. I always thought that the further away you are from the ball, the more expendable you are. This seems especially true for receivers as all the best athletes tend to play that position.

I think we're getting to the top of the WR market, where more teams just won't play in that space and therefore the top of the market starts to stall, sort of like you saw with RB's.  Now, will it be as pronounced as RB's?  No.  Will you still see some big contracts for guys?  Probably.  But could you see top % of cap contracts stall out or even recede?  I would guess...... yes, slowly.  But who knows with the salary cap appreciation.  I do not think you'll see the entire position just undercut like RB's were. 

BUT, remember when the league had moved on from paying RBs, especially those who didn't have elite hands, and it was thought the Rams had set the market, foolishly, with Todd Gurley???  And then a really dumb front office who made a dumb draft pick by picking a RB in the top 10, when 90% of the league wouldn't do that anymore, decided before his contract was up to re-set said market with a really dumb contract?  Remember that..... Yea, that Zeke extension was so fucking fun.

We're going to pay CeeDee, like we should and have to, and it going to be for a lot of fucking money.  Remember, Jerrah's that option quarterback, just wanting to see more cards played..... Ha, ha, ha!!!  Fucking moron.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

CeeDee's deal should have been done back in April....

All of these contracts should have been done sooner if they were actually interested in doing them. I guess we're left to assume that they aren't?

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Lamb has all the leverage to demand that JJ money.  If the plan is to let Dak walk and keep Lance or a rookie, prob makes sense to keep Ceedee, but that's a lot of money. 

If you let Dak walk for fucking Trey Lance, you let CeeDee go too because that’s full tank and rebuild mode. Neither of them are the problem, it’s the coaches, and the guy who hires them, period.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I haven't read anything about Overshown and his rehab. He was having a good preseason until he tore his acl last year. Anyone know if he's participating in workouts? 

Here's a quote from an Athletic article about Cowboys linebackers on May 29:

Overshown is a key piece because he showed so much upside to the coaching staff last year before suffering a season-ending knee injury in Dallas’ second preseason game. The third-round pick’s rookie season ended before it ever really got started. But the Cowboys again have high hopes for him in year two. McCarthy said last week that he thinks Overshown is ahead of schedule in his rehab from the torn ACL in his left knee.

Overshown said last week that he has gained about 13 pounds.

“That was more of a me thing,” he added. “Seeing my future in this league and what was going to be best for my body and being productive on the field. … Gaining lean mass, muscle weight, getting stronger.

“I’m going to go into (training) camp a little bigger and drop to where I want to play at, which would be around 233 (pounds).”

Sounds to me like he'll be good to go.

• Hook 'Em 2

Should have been done after year 3 honestly. Eagles front office is good about getting out in front of the players they plan on re-signing. They just extended Devante Smith. I believe he was drafted after Lamb.

Dallas always waits until other teams set the market and then have to match that. Not surprising since they have no real vision.

On 6/4/2024 at 11:24 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

CeeDee wasn't going to do a deal in April without seeing what the market looked like unless the Cowboys wanted to set the market, which they're really bad at.  If you wanted to re-sign him, you could have said last summer before he blew up, but it would have been early.  No excuse not to re-sign Dak last summer coming off a statistically okay year, but checking under the hood, he had some bad luck.  Now he's coming off a 2nd place MVP season and his market probably went up 10m per.  Again, the front office is really bad at contracts, especially big ones....

8 hours ago, 'stache said:

If you let Dak walk for fucking Trey Lance, you let CeeDee go too because that’s full tank and rebuild mode. Neither of them are the problem, it’s the coaches, and the guy who hires them, period.

They are totally the problem at upwards of 55mil and 35mil per year and the owners would be dumb to sign both.  Either keep one or the other, or yes drop both and rebuild.  I think they are close to the latter as they're willing to let Dak and Mike roll on a 1 year deal. 

20 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

They are totally the problem at upwards of 55mil and 35mil per year and the owners would be dumb to sign both.  Either keep one or the other, or yes drop both and rebuild.  I think they are close to the latter as they're willing to let Dak and Mike roll on a 1 year deal. 

I think its weird in this thread that the Dallas Cowboys seem to be the only team that can't, or shouldn't, pay their pro-bowlers their market rate. The consternation over Zeke's contract wasn't that we couldn't afford it but whether running backs were worth that rate still, which it turns out they are not. But many teams have highly paid QB/WR tandums. If they are worth it, you find a way to pay. Why hamstring the QB by letting his best target go, or vice versa? I think if you let one go, you let the other go too and rebuild. Otherwise you're just half-assing it hoping a bunch of rookies or cheap free agents win you a SB.

16 hours ago, 'stache said:

Dak not the problem?

The Big Lebowski Brandt GIF

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It's almost as if the Jones' are a backwater, cash poor, cheap ass, idiotic ownership group with nothing of value to offer the world other than the fact that they own the Cowboys. I don't think they have other streams of revenue for their family like the other billionaire owners.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

The spending comparisons between franchises doesn’t make sense to me. Everyone operates under the cap. So year to year dollars out the door could vary greatly, but the NPV of spending of every franchise should be similar because they all spend up to the cap limit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

It's almost as if the Jones' are a backwater, cash poor, cheap ass, idiotic ownership group with nothing of value to offer the world other than the fact that they own the Cowboys. I don't think they have other streams of revenue for their family like the other billionaire owners.

He is killing it in the natural gas business. 

• Like 1

It’s almost as if you don’t understand how the cap works. The article is misleading as it really has to do with how the roster looks from contracts. A lot of the roster extensions will never be paid. The lions extended a lot of stars. The cowboys didn’t extend Dak (probably $240m) or CeeDee yet ($140 m) so that’s $380m on two players.

Every one has the same $255.4 million cap for 2024. That counts the 53, the practice squad, rookies, and dead cap. Jerry spends every dime of it. Thats the problem.

Jerry and family are making a fortune in oil and gas. They have lots of real estate holdings. The stadium and star bring in a billion a year.

20 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

It’s almost as if you don’t understand how the cap works. The article is misleading as it really has to do with how the roster looks from contracts. A lot of the roster extensions will never be paid. The lions extended a lot of stars. The cowboys didn’t extend Dak (probably $240m) or CeeDee yet ($140 m) so that’s $380m on two players.

Every one has the same $255.4 million cap for 2024. That counts the 53, the practice squad, rookies, and dead cap. Jerry spends every dime of it. Thats the problem.

Jerry and family are making a fortune in oil and gas. They have lots of real estate holdings. The stadium and star bring in a billion a year.

Huh?  We've already been through this, the salary cap is just an accounting mechanism to try and create equitable spending but it really doesn't account for cash flow or cash spending which is the real cost of doing business.  How many times have we watched Roseman of Philly outspend us and somehow get out of owing so much money?  Because he understands the rules an can manage the risk a lot better than our dopes.  The Jones' ain't poor..... they just spend on their team like they are and then sell the fans on it's the player's who are to blame.  Stephen operates like he's a small market team in baseball.... Now, that cash flow will jump in the next 3 years if he does what he's supposed to and pays the big 3.  Our front office really sucks at negotiating big contracts and the timing of them.

On 6/6/2024 at 12:38 PM, Dbeasy said:

The spending comparisons between franchises doesn’t make sense to me. Everyone operates under the cap. So year to year dollars out the door could vary greatly, but the NPV of spending of every franchise should be similar because they all spend up to the cap limit. 

It can be really hard for a team to spend the salary cap max. When you consider the length of the contracts, a team may be underspending this season because multiple contracts will be paying more next year and then you'd be over the cap in 2025. Therefore you couldn't sign CeeDee or Barkley or Henry to a good contract in 2024. That said, several different pundits rank the Cowboys offseason at #32.

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Show me a fucking loss this season !!!!!!

IMG_0718.thumb.jpeg.0b4a71397e71b7ff225737c8a0b44f21.jpeg

career playoff records:

Spoiler

15-3                                                                                                                     2-5

Edited by tokamak