Week 6, 2023: Red River shootout.

Wulaw Horn

36 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I'm seeing a handful of computer models picking OU by 4+. Non homer stuff and pretty solid.

Also seeing a handful of computer models picking Texas by 7.5+.

Conclusion: OU sucks.

prediction tracker updates:

line is at 6.5

average is Texas, 2.05

median is Texas 0.70

Texas is at 54% to win and 44% to cover

~34 of the 52 pick Texas. 15 have either Texas or OU by 1 point or less.

13 of the 17 that pick OU pick them by less than 3 points. Payne has them at 8 points and change but thats the largest out there. only 2 pick them by more than 3.0 points

will have the rest of the picks in probably later today or tomorrow AM and I will do a final update then.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 2

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I feel like our coverage needs to prioritize speed over height when it comes to OUs receivers, so yeah Holmes may be better to have on the field. Most importantly, just don’t blow assignments 

OU needs to go 4 WR sets often. We can’t run the ball out of any personnel groupings so we may as well take our shit TE off the field. 6’4 and 6’5 Anderson and Gibson on the outsides with Anthony/Stoops/Pettaway working out of the slot. 

Just now, NoName said:

line is at 6.5

average is Texas, 2.05

median is Texas 0.70

13 of the 17 that pick OU pick them by less than 3 points. Payne has them at 8 points and change but thats the largest out there. only 2 pick them by more than 3.0 points

will have the rest of the picks in probably later today or tomorrow AM and I will do a final update then.

If this was home game Texas would be double digit favorites. If this was road game it would be a 2-3.5 point spread in Texas favor. We cover IMO.

6 minutes ago, Constant said:

OU needs to go 4 WR sets often. We can’t run the ball out of any personnel groupings so we may as well take our shit TE off the field. 6’4 and 6’5 Anderson and Gibson on the outsides with Anthony/Stoops/Pettaway working out of the slot. 

I would love to see this and then Texas plays Cover 2 with Ford in the middle, and Burke, Sweat, Murphy, Sorrell on the D-line.  Good luck.

• Hook 'Em 5

They’re using Chip Brown the right way these days. He’s just a useful idiot. The notion that Sarkisian is letting anyone feed that guy exclusive injury information is flat out laughable. Good sign for both players being good to go. 
We won't know the truth until warmups on Saturday. With the track record of injury vagueness if not outright secrecy this program is able to maintain, I wouldnt be shocked if Sanders is either ready to play at near 100% or in street clothes with a walking boot.

So, for real....it's been a long time since I've attended the game.  I usually hop over to I-45, so I'm approaching the fair from the Southeast, through that neighborhood.  Used to park on the field behind James Madison High school, I understand that's not in play any longer.  So...where to park over there that's reasonably safe/won't get my car windows busted in?
The neighborhood is sketchy, there's no denying it. Having said that, I've been to numerous concerts at either Gexa energy/Smirnoff/Starplex/whatever the fuck it's called these days as well as Cotton Bowl in the late 90's and sporadically through the 21st century. Why is this relevant? Well, we were almost always running late due to either the incompetency of one of the group, traffic or both...and that usually means parking in the hood and paying some sketchy looking character 20-$30 to let you park in front of their house with the promise they will watch it all night and it wont be harmed. Guess what? Worked out fine every time, and once I drove my own car (Lexus IS350 that was only 3 months old) and there wasnt a scratch on it when we returned. As always, ymmv.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Texas is #48 at 2.42
OU is #99 at 1.62
Last night I fired up YT on my tv to see where most of the sports talking heads are leaning with this game, and although most picked Texas to win outright...a suprising number are going with bloU. I guess it makes sense because we've burned people so many times and they have the notion last years game was an abberation, (can't honestly disagree with either thing) but still surprising considering who we've beaten versus bloU.

3 minutes ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, NoName said:
Texas is #48 at 2.42
OU is #99 at 1.62

Last night I fired up YT on my tv to see where most of the sports talking heads are leaning with this game, and although most picked Texas to win outright...a suprising number are going with bloU. I guess it makes sense because we've burned people so many times and they have the notion last years game was an abberation, (can't honestly disagree with either thing) but still surprising considering who we've beaten versus bloU.

Some people are just going to go contrarian just for the hell of it. Watching other YT and media randos score predictions has always seemed so stupid to me. I know Corso has made a career of it, but even his picks are irrelevant. 

Some people are just going to go contrarian just for the hell of it. Watching other YT and media randos score predictions has always seemed so stupid to me. I know Corso has made a career of it, but even his picks are irrelevant. 
Wasn't all randos, even the national guys put pick clips on YT.

1 minute ago, TXSooner518 said:

One of my favorite OU-Texas stories, way back in the day my dad was going to the game and pulled into this long series of yards, pays the guy at entrance, then there's a string of guys who keep waving him forward, waving him forward, until finally the last guy just waves him back out into the street again. 

Sounds like you parked in the aggy lot. 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So, for real....it's been a long time since I've attended the game.  I usually hop over to I-45, so I'm approaching the fair from the Southeast, through that neighborhood.  Used to park on the field behind James Madison High school, I understand that's not in play any longer.  So...where to park over there that's reasonably safe/won't get my car windows busted in?

You're welcome. Small lot that is attended by the same dude and his family. Parked there for 20 years probably. Always in nice cars. Nobody touches anything. 8:00 will be plenty early. 

IMG-0039.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I park for free on the street around there every year. Occasionally you'll get a resident claiming the public street in front of his house is off limits, but we've had no other issues.

36 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I bet Sanders and Watts play. This is not something they will want to miss if it’s borderline 

“JT looks great. He’ll be good to go Saturday,” Sarkisian said.

From the media availability today.  Watts is game time decision.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LonghornSean said:

I park for free on the street around there every year. Occasionally you'll get a resident claiming the public street in front of his house is off limits, but we've had no other issues.

If you drive a Hyundai or Kia, I’d advise against this. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, ousux said:
3 hours ago, closetojumping said:
They’re using Chip Brown the right way these days. He’s just a useful idiot. The notion that Sarkisian is letting anyone feed that guy exclusive injury information is flat out laughable. Good sign for both players being good to go. 

We won't know the truth until warmups on Saturday. With the track record of injury vagueness if not outright secrecy this program is able to maintain, I wouldnt be shocked if Sanders is either ready to play at near 100% or in street clothes with a walking boot.

The update from Sarkisian has already been published. Chip Brown was full of shit. Sanders is good to go and will not be a game time decision. 

The update from Sarkisian has already been published. Chip Brown was full of shit. Sanders is good to go and will not be a game time decision. 
That's great to hear if true. Havent had a chance to watch the presser today

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Your first reply to it proved accurate. I love that FCB mouthpiece strategy also makes him look like an idiot.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

line is at 6.5

average is Texas, 2.05

median is Texas 0.70

I think we're a 31-17 or so winner. But if what keeps us from winning this game outright is sloppy effort by the FG team, I will not be gruntled. Get that fixed, fellas. 

40 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

One of my favorite OU-Texas stories, way back in the day my dad was going to the game and pulled into this long series of yards, pays the guy at entrance, then there's a string of guys who keep waving him forward, waving him forward, until finally the last guy just waves him back out into the street again.

Is your dad also the guy who pulls over in the middle of East St. Louis to ask for directions?

spacer.png

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

He also dances too much at the line. He needs to make a cut and get up field. I believe that’s just part of the learning process for a true freshman at this level.

This has been what I've noticed most about him too. A few plays (at least in the Kansas game) where he got very dance-y instead of hitting holes or at least moving forward, leading to minimal gains. I think it was him that got knocked from behind on one of those plays.

That's not to say I don't think he'll be a solid to great RB down the line, or that he won't be able to handle lead back duty if Brooks does head to the draft. Just the biggest thing my very untrained eye sees as something to improve.

Just now, Doc Daneeka said:

I can neither confirm nor deny any conversations took place between myself and Mr. Mar.

Like I said, I love a good caper. I'd like to think that you and several other lunatics pulled a Horrible Bosses kind of stunt on the guy. Maybe a little True Lies with Kevin Mar replacing Bill Paxton.

• Like 1

Just now, NYCHORN2013 said:

This has been what I've noticed most about him too. A few plays (at least in the Kansas game) where he got very dance-y instead of hitting holes or at least moving forward, leading to minimal gains. I think it was him that got knocked from behind on one of those plays.

That's not to say I don't think he'll be a solid to great RB down the line, or that he won't be able to handle lead back duty if Brooks does head to the draft. Just the biggest thing my very untrained eye sees as something to improve.

He's young and inexperienced. I am sure he was rewarded for the dancing in HS but he'll learn quickly to hit the fucking hole when he sees daylight. He had a few he could have housed already and I figure he'll start getting there. It's got to be obvious on tape and coachable.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Nahlin is reporting that Kevin Mar and crew will not be working the Texas-OU game this weekend.

My guess is that the powers that be passed that on to Burton, so I feel really good that this could be true. Now I'm wondering if someone got involved and helped make something happen. That's the story I would like to believe, so I am going with it. Strong work.

Was he actually kidnapped?

Just now, Constant said:

Starting to see Savion Byrd could be back this week. He’s been out with a concussion. He brings some strength and nastiness to LG but also misses assignments too often. We’ll see if he’s a factor. 

To say he was awful when he was playing would be an understatement. I hope Bedenbaugh throws him back out there this week.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1