Week 6, 2023: Red River shootout.

Wulaw Horn

33 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

FCB with an injury update

According to team sources, neither Sanders nor Watts has been a full participant in practice this week. Treatment continues, but both will likely be game-time decisions, sources said.

Why the hell would they be?

A little tape, adrenaline, and maybe some chemistry and who knows. Texas will beat OU’s ass without them and it would suck for them not to be able to participate in the beating, but there’s potentially more at stake than this one game, especially when they may well get a change to help beat their asses again in December. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, YGIFS said:

No politics, but thought this was pretty cool.  Third in line for President and highest ranking cabinet official stopped off at UT, shouted, "OU" while we all yelled "SUCKS!", graciously accepted this jersey, and regaled us with a former NATO ambassador of a different party who bleeds burnt orange.  Best part was Hartzell quoting, "Harry Ransom said the UT campus was a 'Field of Ideas' to which the Secretary replied, "But only the second most important field this week, right?"  

So we had these three thought leaders of all political stripes.  Meanwhile, OU had Brent Venables interviewing the shift manager of a local Bucc-ees.  Truly remarkable.  FUCK OU!  Somehow though, the Big XII and the SEC will both be smarter for their departure.  

IMG_5792.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They’re using Chip Brown the right way these days. He’s just a useful idiot. The notion that Sarkisian is letting anyone feed that guy exclusive injury information is flat out laughable. Good sign for both players being good to go. 

I don’t doubt that they’re being held out of practice but the notion that they may not play in this game is ridiculous and pure gamesmanship to make OU have to prepare for the possibility of something else.

Edited by Billy Pilgrim
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I don’t doubt that they’re being held out of practice but the notion that they may not play in this game is ridiculous and pure gamesmanship to make OU have to prepare for the possibility of something else.

That’s what I think too. Remember when we had Quinn in pads warming up during his injury? 

Texas isn’t going to tell Venables who is and isn’t playing. Sanders wanted to go back in, no limp or boot once he got into street clothes and no boot or limp a few days prior to the game. He will play. 

So, for real....it's been a long time since I've attended the game.  I usually hop over to I-45, so I'm approaching the fair from the Southeast, through that neighborhood.  Used to park on the field behind James Madison High school, I understand that's not in play any longer.  So...where to park over there that's reasonably safe/won't get my car windows busted in?

OL grades from Kansas (via Alex Dunlap on OB, long post)

Spoiler

Skill Player Snap Counts and Game-by-Game Percentages of Offensive Snaps (2023 Through Week 5)
image.thumb.png.f9775987340474454ea3067022c492b6.png

***please note that exact snap-count numbers may differ from other sources at times, as the Deep Dig does not count plays as offensive player snaps that are blown dead due to penalty, punts, extra points, field goals, spiked balls, victory formations, kneel-downs, etc.***

Personnel-Grouping Frequency Overall and by Game (2023 Through Week 5)
image.thumb.png.6f569439c050bc6e21333e571070d124.png

Tight End Total Snap Counts and Alignment Data (2023 Through Week 5)
image.thumb.png.c477d83187e6281a7d0ee7615fba9db7.png

Team Target Share By Week (2023 Through Week 5)
image.thumb.png.9e7589b0144c44f8a73ea4a1819d7066.png

Deep Dig OL Grading Scale (each snap by each player is graded as its own independent event)
image.thumb.png.ebcf3715a48c0c61707829dd542f3c33.png

OL Grades (Kansas)

LT Kelvin Banks - 81 snaps
1 run-stuff, 2 pressures allowed
DEEP DIG GRADE: 78.58

LG Hayden Conner - 81 snaps
2 run-stuffs, 1 QB hit allowed
1 knockdown, 1 pin
DEEP DIG GRADE: 78.21

C Jake Majors - 81 snaps
1 run-stuff, 1 QB hit allowed
1 bad snap
1 knockdown
DEEP DIG GRADE: 78.21

RG DJ Campbell - 81 snaps
1 holding penalty
2 knockdowns, 1 pin
DEEP DIG GRADE: 80.19

RT Christian Jones - 81 snaps
2 QB pressures allowed
3 knockdowns
DEEP DIG GRADE: 79.94

Reserves

RT Cam Williams - 5 snaps
No disruption allowed

RG Neto Omeozulu - 5 snaps
1 run-stuff allowed

C Conner Robertson - 5 snaps
No disruption allowed

LG Sawyer Goram Welch - 5 snaps
No disruption allowed

LT Trevor Goosby - 5 snaps
No disruption allowed

OL Grades by Week (2023 Through Week 5)
image.thumb.png.2791afb22f0d71403d801f1a36d8a5cb.png

OL Snaps-per-Disruption Allowed (2023 Through Week 5)
image.thumb.png.7a00b1335c0650e8022156e1e0cc3dfd.png

OL Snaps-per-Disruption Allowed BY WEEK (2023 Through Week 5)
image.thumb.png.5af22644481ae440083ddcc710ea0cd0.png

2023 OL Snaps-per-Disruption Allowed Versus Historical Precedent (2023 Through Week 5)
image.thumb.png.796b96ff11ab8202f2d16039ffb0e429.png

QUICK FINAL THOUGHTS

We'd say that DJ Campbell looks like he's cleared for takeoff but the fact of the matter is, he might already be at cruising altitude. Campbell played the best game of any Texas offensive lineman so far this season, turning in a big 80-plus score on the Deep Dig scale, which, at six regular-season starts into his career at Texas, feels about as absurd as when Kelvin Banks ventured into the 80s-range as a true freshman last season. That game, versus Oklahoma where Banks scored an 80.69, coincidentally was Banks' sixth start as well.

The snaps-per-disruption allowed chart by week (above) shows one of the most clear trend lines you could imagine regarding Campbell. It doesn't take a data analyst or even a particularly bright person to see (and you can trust us on this as we have quite a few folks who are on the "dimmer" end of the old lightbulb-scale here in our filthy basement) that Campbell is cutting out the mistakes. We always said that in between mistakes ... those plays that Coach Sark says he looks at Campbell with such frustration, thinking "You're better than that!", were flashes of elite play. Generating violent movement off the football, natural strength like a bull, a great motor and nasty ability to finish in the run game. Good enough instincts in pass protection and an obvious physical anchor and massive center of gravity to build upon. Once the mistakes got cut out, all you were going to be left with was the REALLY good stuff.

And that's what we saw versus Kansas. This is one week where you really don't need this column as much if we're being honest. (Not that we want to convince you that our jobs here are meaningless). No, what we're trying to say is that you watched the football game. You saw what happened. How many replays were there of wide open holes and running lanes for Jonathan Brooks and CJ Baxter to dash, dodge and weave through?

What is the most common rejoinder when football fans are asked how they knew the offensive line played well? It's that they didn't notice them, of course. It's just like the refs. If you go through a football game where neither your team's offensive line nor the men in stripes become the focus of your attention, it probably means you came out of that game faring relatively well in those areas. You weren't yelling at the TV or throwing your hands up in the air over anything, it was probably fine.

But what about when the offensive line is so GOOD that you simply had to notice? Well, that's what a game like Kansas was, and we can't say enough about the development job Kyle Flood, the best OL coach of the Deep Dig era by far, has done for this group of players.

The lowest score on the Deep Dig scale -- the lowest scoring player in the game -- was a tie a 78.21 with Hayden Conner and Jake Majors. Another common phrase in the world of the offensive line is that you are only as strong as your weakest link. Texas' weakest link scored a ridiculous 78.21? That was the WORST score? We at the Deep Dig have seen weeks where -- and it will sound absurd now, but it really wasn't that long ago -- when not one single player got a grade higher than 74.84!

Remember that game? Arkansas 2021? Kyle Flood's second game at Texas? Junior Angilau scored 74.38, Derek Kerstetter was the best of the bunch with a completely unacceptable 74.84. Jake Majors busted out a signature 72.5, Christian Jones a 73.44 and Denzel Okafor put the cherry on top with an utterly pathetic 71.25.

It will be quite the task, but if the Texas offensive line plays like this in every game moving forward, it would take monumental screw-ups in other phases of the offense to get things off-track regarding the desired game plan and outcome.

Onward to the Red River Shootout.

• Hook 'Em 9

36 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, for real....it's been a long time since I've attended the game.  I usually hop over to I-45, so I'm approaching the fair from the Southeast, through that neighborhood.  Used to park on the field behind James Madison High school, I understand that's not in play any longer.  So...where to park over there that's reasonably safe/won't get my car windows busted in?

How early are you arriving? You are likely going to have to pre-buy a parking pass if you get there too late and just park in the gates. I wouldn't park anywhere outside fenced areas/gates anymore unless you are in a beater you don't give a shit about with nothing inside. Stuff's gotten much worse around the cotton bowl.

Just now, immamac said:

How early are you arriving? You are likely going to have to pre-buy a parking pass if you get there too late and just park in the gates. I wouldn't park anywhere outside fenced areas/gates anymore unless you are in a beater you don't give a shit about with nothing inside. Stuff's gotten much worse around the cotton bowl.

Probably arriving around 8:00 am.  From what outfits can I pre-buy a parking pass, and where would those parking sites be?

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Probably arriving around 8:00 am.  From what outfits can I pre-buy a parking pass, and where would those parking sites be?

If you're getting there that early, maybe leave a tad earlier, go downtown (you'd be going against Cotton Bowl traffic), park in a garage near Dart, and take the Dart in?

5 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

If you're getting there that early, maybe leave a tad earlier, go downtown (you'd be going against Cotton Bowl traffic), park in a garage near Dart, and take the Dart in?

this is a strong and valid suggestion especially if you are leaving right after the game. 

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You don't need to pre-buy any parking pass. Just go into one of the lots and you pay $20. If you're getting there at 8am, you'll be fine. We park in Lot 15A every year at 8-8:30 and it's as simple as driving in off Military Parkway/Haskell, paying at the parking attendant stand, and pulling into a spot on the left. You then walk a little bit to a tram area and take that to the Pan Am Gate. Super easy to then get out when the game is over. You can hop on Military and head east towards Dolphin, left on Dolphin, and you're at 30 pretty quickly.  

I advise this to anyone coming from Austin. Don't take 30 to get to the Fair. Go to Lemmon Ave and then head on Haskell the whole way. That puts you right near 13A and 15A. If you have to take 30, don't exit till Dolphin Rd. After you do, head right on Military Pkwy/Haskell and 15A is on your left. There are a multitude of streets you can take to get to the south side of the Fair that avoid 30. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 8

Just now, immamac said:

this is a strong and valid suggestion especially if you are leaving right after the game. 

I would never advise DART as something that will get you quickly out of that area after the game is over unless you're heading south on the Green Line. Any one of the lots on the periphery of the Fair will get you out pretty quickly. Anything in green on the map above is going to get you out faster. 13A and 15A are the best two for a quick exit. Trust me, we skin out quickly if we lose the game and had a lot of years to do just that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's thought to be a weak RB class at the top. Brooks might end up being one of the first drafted

Brooks is so good at making himself as compact as possible getting through the line and when contact comes - allows him to keep his balance and keep moving forward.  I think that is the biggest difference right now between Brooks and Baxter is that Brooks has such good balance that one hit isn't knocking him over like it is Baxter.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

We always stay downtown, valet the car at the hotel, and just walk.  It's not more than 30 minutes or so.

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Why did this staff think Baxter was the better option to start this season?

IT has talked about it a little bit - they're guess/hypothesis was that the staff might have thought Brooks was more effective after defense had been beat on a little bit.  Baxter is a bigger more physical runner and the idea would be to overpower defenses from the start.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Looks like the line went back to -6 in some places 

I'm seeing a handful of computer models picking OU by 4+. Non homer stuff and pretty solid.

Also seeing a handful of computer models picking Texas by 7.5+.

Conclusion: OU sucks.

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Baxter is a better physical back, Brooks has a lot of intangibles working for him beyond just his physical style. It's hard to get a feel for vision and patience in practice for RB

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

8 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Why can't both be good? 

Baxter has looked solid despite playing well below 100%. My guess is he will be close to 100% coming out of the bye and we will see some of the burst we saw against Rice before he went down.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Why can't both be good? 

Baxter has looked solid despite playing well below 100%. My guess is he will be close to 100% coming out of the bye and we will see some of the burst we saw against Rice before he went down.

Baxter is taking too many big hits. I can't recall JB taking any big hits, seems like Baxter takes 1 or 2 every game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Baxter is taking too many big hits. I can't recall JB taking any big hits, seems like Baxter takes 1 or 2 every game.

Baxter has impressed me receiving the ball out of the backfield. Has good hands.

He'll learn how to absorb hits with experience and some additional weight. I've seen nothing from him to make me think he won't be really good as moving forward and into 2024.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

What time are you getting there? 4th Ave church of Christ if you’re early enough I had been a good spot for me. Good people and close proximity - right behind the McDonald’s. Try to go down Al lipscomb instead of mlk if you can.

ive also parked in the grass lots just north west of it off Al lipscomb and didn’t have issues.

• Hook 'Em 1

Look at all that green - and how evenly distributed the play-calling is.  Sark doesn't have tendencies and everything is successful because they can't key on anything.

Almost 90% of snaps in 11/12 packages and kinda sucking against a light box (admittedly small sample size) is a little odd. I suppose that’s probably a function of a lot of lighter boxes being obvious passing downs behind the chains.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Baxter has impressed me receiving the ball out of the backfield. Has good hands.

He'll learn how to absorb hits with experience and some additional weight. I've seen nothing from him to make me think he won't be really good as moving forward and into 2024.

Oh, I agree, he is very good thus far but he certainly needs to learn to make those hits glancing blows. He ain't Earl Campbell and this isn't high school.

Just now, Hook1997 said:

Baxter has been going down on solo tackles way too much, he needs more size and/or get more physical.  

He also dances too much at the line. He needs to make a cut and get up field. I believe that’s just part of the learning process for a true freshman at this level.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think this type of offense OU runs is Watts biggest weakness....he pulled up on a deep route by Kansas and it's a hamstring issue allegedly. 

Holmes may be the better matchup for Oklahoma, yeah?

I feel like our coverage needs to prioritize speed over height when it comes to OUs receivers, so yeah Holmes may be better to have on the field. Most importantly, just don’t blow assignments