Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

Traded/Out: one of Dubon or Meyers, one of Urquidy or France

In: a backup catcher, an 8th inning RP, a LHH prospect to play LF and hit 9th (Loperfido, Hamilton, Wagner, or Barber), a high-ceiling young bullpen arm (Whitley, Sousa, Gage, Arrighetti, Tamarez, Dubin)

Opening day roster:

2B Altuve

3B Bregman

DH Alvarez

1B Abreu

RF Tucker

C Y Diaz

OF McCormick

SS Pena

OF Loperfido/Hamilton/Barber/Wagner

Bench: Dubon/Meyers, Kessinger, TBD catcher, Singleton

SP: Verlander, Valdez, Javier, Brown, Urquidy/France

RP: Pressly, Abreu, TBD, Montero, Graveman, Martinez (holding Garcia’s spot), Bielak (holding McCullers’ spot), Sousa/Whitley/Gage/Arrighetti/Dubin/Tamarez

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 1

Part 2 of the 3 part recap where we talk all things manager. If you are burned out on that don’t listen. If you want to see us take 2 or 3 different approaches to quantify what happened last year and that down stream affect on the team this is for you. 

Spotify:
Amazon:
  • Hook 'Em 3

55 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

You guys who keep suggesting that we trade away a reliable starting pitching still under team control are really starting to piss me off.  It’s like you slept through this past season.  

If that’s directed at me, meh.  I wouldn’t label Urquidy (1 MLB season out of 5 with >107 ip) or France (136 career MLB innings) as “reliable”.  If Houston can get really good trade value, they have the depth to absorb the loss.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

That update is completely devoid of new information.  No news means it's Espada? 

Brown would certainly understand that his role in the organization is strengthened if the manager appears beholden to him for support.  It just doesn't appear that Crane wants him to have that kind of authority. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/5/2023 at 3:01 PM, Dutchrudder said:

Game 7 of 2019 was a 6-2 loss, not a 1 run game. The offense never got going, the team just wasn't stringing hits together in the same inning and they left a bunch of runners stranded. Harris came in and gave up the 2 run homer, and it was 3-2 going into the bottom of the 7th. That was all they needed to win. They scored in the 8th and 9th too, so not much you can do about it with only 2 runs scored.

Are people arguing that Cole coming in to relieve Greinke would have resulted in 2.2 scoreless innings with a 2-1 win? That seems like a stretch, but I guess it could happen. We just saw Bochy put in Montgomery in the middle of game 7 of the ALCS, and that worked out great for them, while our ace Verlander sat in the dugout as the bullpen failed. I don't know how often it happens, but it would be interesting to see stats on SPs that enter a game 7 in relief and how successful they are. 

Hinch should have put Cole in as soon as Grienke gave up the HR to Rendon the game was 2-1 at that moment.  Houston still had a 73% chance of winning after the HR (84% prior).  I'm not saying Cole goes 2.2 without giving up a run just you should have put him in and made him try and I would have gladly taken the loss had he not. Bochy won the 2014 World Series and the 2023 ALCS following the paradigm and he is the greatest manager of all time IMHO. He took teams that probably had no business winning and has won more world series rings than all but 3 managers.

2010: 92-70
2012: 94-68
2014: 88-74
2023: 90-72

Common fucking sense seems to not be so common.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

I forgot how the Washington rumors got started, but there is probably a 110% chance it was someone in the Astros camp trying to stir up other interest in him before crane could make a move.

and to that person, I say thank you thank you thank you 

his agent