2023-24 Houston Rockets Thread - Climbing out of the Gutter?

BigOrange1

Brooks’ 5th foul was bullshit too. Look, they didn’t want the Rockets in Vegas.   Same for the Kings, but they overcame the rigging.  

We need to make some peripheral moves.  Would like to see team make play in.   Having that Oladipo contract ought to be helpful and willing to add Tate into something as well.  

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Last 4 road losses have been tough. Played well but can't finish games. 

The Rockets are clearly SO much better, but opponents are also taking us much more seriously. They know we're good and won't get caught off guard. 

Still love what I'm seeing, hopefully we get that first road win soon. 

Coaching matters.

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

Road Jalen vs home Jalen is the inverse of the 2023 Astros lineup. 

He wasn't ready to play at the start of the game. Bad TOs, trying to rebound with one hand, letting rebounds hit off his head to go out of bounds.

We desperately need another option off the bench better than Tate and Holiday.

3 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I like Tate and Holiday in the rotation. This team is deep. Hopefully Amen gets back soon. 

The big, lingering question: When do you give Cam Whitmore a real chance with this squad? His upside is pretty fucking high. His potential and development will affect Jalen's future with this team IMO. 

I like Whitmore so yes I would give him a real chance and if we need to move him or Jalen for more complimentary assets that's a good problem to have.

Great all around game so far. Jalen needs to bottle this game up in his memory in how to come out every game. Aggressive to the cup but not throwing up out of control layup attempts when he attacks. Love the pull up jumpers at the top of the key when the drive isn’t there. Tari and Bari tonight are exactly what you want from your 3. Aggressive on offense, playing D and rebounding. This can be our statement game of the season.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Feels like we have played Denver 10 times

Yeah if you would have told me the Rockets were going to be 3-1 vs Denver on 12/8 before the season started I would have thought you to be delusional. If you would have told me that is the same number of wins the Spurs would have in total I would have died laughing yet here we are.

Speaking of those pinche pendejos we better beat they ass on Monday and keep their misery streak going.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Uncle Boobs said:

Enjoying the fuck out of watching the rockets and texans this year.

We have suffered having to watch the worst coaches in their respective sports before Demeco and Ime came aboard. Both are exactly what each team needed. Ime is even better than I could have hoped and has exceeded the high expectations I had for him. He was the guy I wanted above all other candidates. Excited to see how the Astros respond to Espada. Getting rid of the worst manager in baseball will pay dividends and hopefully get us a WS trophy before the window closes.

Edited by Macklemore

59 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

if they could play all of their games against devener they might be a title contender.

Towards the end of the season they might have a shot at a 2/7 matchup with them. Could be interesting, but I would still bet on the Nuggets in 6. I think the current team is about a 41 win team, but they might be able to do slightly better once some teams give up and tank.  Should be a 7-10 seed. 

• Like 1

Dogshit display of basketball by both teams tonight. The NBA needs to move the 3 point line back to what it was in the 90s. Both teams continue to jack up 3s when they’re shooting less than 10%, which is a joke. If you move the 3 point line back, fewer players would have the green light they have now and would encourage better playmaking.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Like 1

So the Wizards are 1-14 in their last 15 games with the lone win coming against the Pistons who are 0-20 now. Mix in the 0-17 Spurs and you can get a 1-51 mark.
I don't think the NBA has ever witnessed that much futility from the bottom 3.

In the year of the worst draft in 20 years…

I was at the game last night, and wow, that was the ugliest win I have seen in a long time. If they were playing a halfway competent team, it would have been a blowout the other way. Luckily for the Rockets the Spurs are still young and shitty. Glad they got the win, but that felt way too close until about 5 minutes left in the 4th. I think the team was like 5-30 from 3 through the first 3 quarters, they just couldn't hit a bucket. So many shots on both sides rimmed out, it was just an awful shooting night all around. Eason and Jeff Green did great off the bench, and Sengun was pretty good overall. Eason had a lot of nice finishes at the rim, and tons of rebounds. He really fought for those all game, which you love to see in a young player. The defense really stepped it up and held them in check, despite a few BS foul calls against them. That one where Jeff Green didn't touch the 3pt shooter, was challenged, and upheld as a foul was lol-worthy.  

The Rockets now have the second best defensive rating in the league with a 108, and the best 3pt defense FG%. They are mid at defense in the paint and around the mid-range, but that's probably due to their size. Still very good metrics so far, keeping up with the Twolves in that regard. Team is now 10-1 at home, and 1-8 on the road, and they appear to be the anti-Astros. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they kill Memphis tomorrow night, and lose on the road to them on Friday.  

Old man rant: The arena music and announcer are way too loud. It's irritating that you can barely hear people sitting next to you during the breaks because they are always blasting some music. They even have some fake DJ booth with a guy pretending to be DJ'ing and trying to hype up the crowd. It's all really dumb, I just want to watch the game, all the other stuff is just distraction. 

I just happened to snap a picture of this silly no-call play on Sengun: 

ABLVV86hp17oWU1nZ6kENTgIverjugjidg8B8P2igVJEFBzoUWBDc1pNpqAWLKS_McEELVtrqlUsRKqFIyY19nAtx98MIcROGcltDbql__BHf4ZYJtnh7oSteN8gOBw8xvRga8BzJMgf7Dt0F3KjZn7P51rLCUPD622PhOGzGbZGWxvVLUYi8AmDT1GrW0-RfKkBkXhRlXawDZQa3-TxrLMEN1xfubX4jp4DlYNajhcnV_rrdK_Tzjrl4F9gLzHVZp_evEcK50wGL02rElRF6PggT2DG2-XhOHHVn6IiZP8zhBWY7FDkoMKHIAkyZ-YVUWpNW9GCSQoRHWmjkFZ9qBRdqK19tZt19klQazAvaSpemZaYjfEj20EcYsbfmHHUsnW4kTdh6ztiuEc5nUbb3AbEy19ow2C4ETlAG9EG4MaQyxpjNNCAhsj1cLy3maEC-V9sN1AwthYfa9uSF3oQAiOOSTTtjK9btwuULRG7A5kDsnNhbSCwU0snuQXse8qhvI9Df53GmJXt1oWV8KH6QlRViWdRIP89vSXiHY_77bNxfM5_a-okXKjibzdv4PLdb7IPagayELlsnkWMpjQLBqKcmhLMippZOJqGmywYQa8F2QfFz4hOCngF6WkBF8VhABAbC2OY7eVJ165YdAzSbB0ecGPUlGoRdNeJ6cY-kNYcqOb-qUxwXVXAX8X7iWWPulpVVe22s2IQZ_pvhCPuw0HgPiKPAxkcEQV5QJl4np8iorR4JorLx6lhO3PxclZR3h_wEGve3_f4VmJpVecv1wzuILYVd3NAVLrs3wc2Uyac59KLmtM_2EI9c96VNzJLkduJIcvvEcLMfhmYvIUAbcHV6ieGcERhZZiPAnYEZrpbEra9aSU6OZ9jolpwSv-vvDA3btE=w1695-h1271-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Final score:

ABLVV87UdJGztt2NKf24ZgOI8V3z0xCwOvcPa6Zph3k08PXAJG-kQW8-3vTpxarh5hiI6EWvETV6ZGw4EXpH251_2Fo7yFsvti9U6OKwzZr10Uu-DoBlDMDCp_HnWlPlZHRvbFLTmSR0-G9dz5ClBWD-9ipatUKLgnw-FMFx1D4rsqYW4kauIA20Xk8gqS85FraRduWz3Gv7jUMilOocV86eD8LVDfZnpWVN6BavTFoGUIB8-qhbAPhyaM_j-0tQ0WibyGnPNmsiyzqsjUuKiwhE93IgmLLxcEhtI-LR7jEHkLkuEix_J3pG9JADEvrqJAMh7u-bqsFcMcMYlfg9z8SSsoBYbx242U9LjJ_8ifM7dtrAZNRzvIXL_fsuWAUtRO5YUhGzNR_ufCM-z7qoApxKsRhYPz5aX4bq7Wz5YUlLB049-HERNghahvMrv9PFymU_lLn5wZZGDnhTmSOgZD5i9pNCLxgprNf0ZpGn9Za2I-q3tUTHid7U9xN4Q4_ssuHxdot_J97iXxyqlkzruX22tRMNkmHmb-CWtz7rWrmTKjYbchKrfsimWxBHdbNifknwsZnU6LrOJyWrxlOU6KSmSSuizWMjP6k5YaWcJqlsCBdp8Oye8Y91grQpYKB631wMEnGHn9uM8cdTvA4YCTPXCKteZkS1VMVnS1gmRvEjJH8SBmSFXVhTyz-Pztkn-fCpJYGu3ftMDkmrBx1Kx3pOK8RfGoZDFH-SVopHtqBI7PxeOPmNhG1TImo1TeiWXzGOjBy0x4R4S2soxkDaDQo-JrBEcUEYH4ToUnyogFTs06Junt-VrPPzDaOgPfaaQQAYk_PfTPkYTWXyQVH__ETFe3rI2JMP-aEU9xn971wgFO2b7zsbTbwtiLU5Yf1lukdLjLY=w1695-h1271-s-no-gm?authuser=0

• Hook 'Em 2

Rockets need to start internally discussing the Jalen Green problem. He's likely never going to be what they want and need. Just a fundamentally stupid basketball player that was never taught team basketball in AAU or the G-League. It should be noted that last year's G-League superstar is also doing shitty for Portland, and I imagine that Ron Holland will also be a bust coming from that league.

I would never draft another player of the G-League again in the Top 10, there is just absolutely no teaching being done there to make these guys better. The same goes for Thompson and OTE. Though he seems to have a much better understanding of the game, just his shot is a fucking mess.

It's not a surprise that Sengun is the best player on the team, because he was actually taught team basketball at a high level in Europe, I would probably start drafting Europeans more than American players moving forward.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

Jalen playing like trash. He is getting close to bust territory. Not having the expected 3rd year jump. Bench Green for Tari and call up Cam. 

I think I would bench Green and start Cam. Keep Eason as the 6th man, I think he could lead the 2nd unit better than Cam could. Frankly, I would trade Green for a veteran 2 guard that can score without the ball, i.e. a spot-up shooter and occasional slasher. You don't need a creator at the 2 with VanVleet and Sengun.