The Home Stretch - Big 12 Championship Scenarios

Js1

Just now, utexas8 said:

Thank you, if he is correct. 

also of note, I am surprised to see that tcu@ou is on Friday before our game. Not that I’d expect ou to lose that one, but it will be completed before we kickoff. 

the other two play on Saturday.  I expect ksu to handle isu at home. Unsure about osu hosting byu. Byu seems to be bad on the road but osu is a bit jeckyl and Hyde. 

1 minute ago, utexas8 said:

Ok. So if Texas loses, OU wins, OSU wins, and KSU loses:

There is a three way tie for first with Texas, OSU, and OU. The first tiebreaker doesn’t do anything, because no team beat all of the others. So we look for the next highest placed common opponent(s). You are supposed to treat them a group if tied, but do you include teams that one of the teams didn’t play, like WVU if they win?  That is not clear to me. 

If this website is accurate, Texas is in no matter what happens in the other three games in this scenario. 
http://bball.notnothing.net/big12.php?sport=fb

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

There is a three way tie for first with Texas, OSU, and OU. The first tiebreaker doesn’t do anything, because no team beat all of the others. So we look for the next highest placed common opponent(s). You are supposed to treat them a group if tied, but do you include teams that one of the teams didn’t play, like WVU if they win?  That is not clear to me. 

If this website is accurate, Texas is in no matter what happens in the other three games in this scenario. 

I think is the next highest common opponent. I think it comes down to Kansas vs Tech’s ranking order. 

6 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

The only logical interpretation is to use only common opponents from the tied group. So 50/50 chance that's how the Big 12 does it. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 3

3 way tie with Texas, OU, OSU:
common opponents
ISU [3 losses]   (OSU lost to ISU)
Kansas [4-5 losses]  (OU lost to KU)
BYU [7 losses]  (all 3 beat BYU)

against common opponents with 3 losses (ISU)

Texas (1-0), OU (1-0), OSU (0-1)

The rules get a bit murky here

i) Texas and OU are in OSU is out, and then OU is #1 seed via head to head against Texas.

ii) OSU is out, then OU gets #1 seed via head to head against Texas.  Then tiebreaker starts over.  OSU is #2 seed via record against common opponent OU.

Edited by Kwix

I know it would be nice to get a revenge game against OU in the CCG. After consideration, though, I think it is better that we do not. Beating OSU instead would give us perpetual scoreboard on the entire irate 8, it would still put a big finger in the league's eye, and it deprives OU of a championship game berth. I wanna see the Horns thrash Tech and then OSU.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

I know it would be nice to get a revenge game against OU in the CCG. After consideration, though, I think it is better that we do not. Beating OSU instead would give us perpetual scoreboard on the entire irate 8, it would still put a big finger in the league's eye, and it deprives OU of a championship game berth. I wanna see the Horns thrash Tech and then OSU.

It would actually be eternal scoreboard on all of the 2024 Big 12 with the exception of Cincy (because we have never played Cincy)

I want to win the next two.  

If we beat OSU in championship game, we can say "scoreboard forever" to Yormark and Wiesner and the whole league.

If we beat OU in championship game, we can say "avenged their only loss," which would be a huge thing if we're in a beauty contest of 1-loss teams for the 4th playoff spot.  

2 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

This is the dummest possible way to do it, so I’m sure the Big 12 will do it that way. 

Pretty sure the rules read that you use the flow path until you determine the 1 seed, then start the path over with remaining tied teams.  So yeah. 

as opposed to stopping the path when a team is eliminated, assigning the 2 remaining teams as participants, and then using the flow to determine seed (as if seeding fucking matters).

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Pretty sure the rules read that you use the flow path until you determine the 1 seed, then start the path over with remaining tied teams.  So yeah. 

as opposed to stopping the path when a team is eliminated, assigning the 2 remaining teams as participants, and then using the flow to determine seed (as if seeding fucking matters).

Ok, but if that's the case, wouldn't we fall to rule 3. Win percentage against all common conference opponents (must be common among all teams involved in the tie).

As rule2 doesn't provide a clear #1 seed.

Edited by Kwix

10 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Is there a reason that this bullshit conference didn’t set up divisions? Because I can’t think of any good reason.

What? For one fucking year?

That would be idiotic. At least stabilize the membership for more than 5 seconds.

Besides what was so fucking awesome about the tie breaker of 2008? This is better.

Just now, Valmy77 said:

What? For one fucking year?

That would be idiotic. At least stabilize the membership for more than 5 seconds.

Besides what was so fucking awesome about the tie breaker of 2008? This is better.

Yes, for one year. It’s not that hard to write a schedule that follows divisions and it would actually make sense.

2008 was a three way tie and we got fucked by a poll. This year we’d be the highest ranked team and would own any three way tie anyway, since we have by far the best resume.