9-1

Huckleberry

2 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Summing up:

1. This is our best team and season in years.

2. We are terrible.

3. Lose to ISU (sure to happen because reasons) or Tech, and we might as well blow our brains out.

4. Win out through the CCG, making us 12-1 and earning our first title since '09, and it's meh -- Sark can't coach.

5. We probably need help to get into the playoffs this year.

This confirms that we have the collective hivemind of a college girl on her period. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Alrighty help me out.

Ced Griffin
Mike Griffin
Ross
Huff
Tarell Brown

Who was the 6th?

Eh, you got me. I thought Marcus had some snaps, but he was only an undrafted one-year practice squad member. So NFL pay, but no snaps. For the Vikings, no less.

Still. Saying that our secondary that year was a weakness of any kind, with a straight face, is kinda stupid, when we had five NFL starters there.

1 minute ago, Fico said:

Three 1st rounders, 2 2nd rounders 

2 Thorpe award winners 

but but but the backups had a guy who only made an NFL practice squad, Fico!

seriously this is like that "what have the Romans done for us" scene in life of Brian

other than the five NFL starters and the practice squad guy, what ELSE did we have? AND THUS IT WAS A WEAK SPOT

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Summing up:

1. This is our best team and season in years.

2. We are terrible.

3. Lose to ISU (sure to happen because reasons) or Tech, and we might as well blow our brains out.

4. Win out through the CCG, making us 12-1 and earning our first title since '09, and it's meh -- Sark can't coach.

5. We probably need help to get into the playoffs this year.

John C Reilly Yes GIF

• Haha 1

Eh, you got me. I thought Marcus had some snaps, but he was only an undrafted one-year practice squad member. So NFL pay, but no snaps. For the Vikings, no less.
Still. Saying that our secondary that year was a weakness of any kind, with a straight face, is kinda stupid, when we had five NFL starters there.

I am not saying it was a weakness. It was an incredibly strong 5. We were fortunate there were no injuries until the championship game.

We didn’t have a full two deep of stars at DB. Then again no one ever does.

19 hours ago, ousux said:
22 hours ago, BabaYaga said:
This is all true - the concern for me are these little windows in time that the CFB Gods give you that you have to capitalize on.  The Rig12 is dogshit this year and this team keeps regressing, not surging.  At some point this team has to turn a corner and be what the prognosticators think you can be:  dominant.  The first half play is proof of this.  It's the second half that has everyone so concerned.   

Early in the season it was the opposite. In fact the talking heads were saying how we get stronger as the game goes on and win the 4th quarter. I don't know exactly what happened since then but I'm reasonably sure attrition through injuries plays a part.

Exactly, that's the frustration.  My only concern seems to be play calling and decision making become much more conservative

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

That's a "normal" pattern when dominant teams play cupcakes.

Opposing teams get tired and worn down.  This is where higher ranked players matter, especially with depth.  Early on they can match up, but not over the course of a whole game.  Obviously, this begs the question about the depth in Austin?

• Like 1

Opposing teams get tired and worn down.  This is where higher ranked players matter, especially with depth.  Early on they can match up, but not over the course of a whole game.  Obviously, this begs the question about the depth in Austin?

True but look at schedules again. OhioState, Georgia. Washington, Oregon have all had close games in which they didn’t runaway with in the end.

Pretty much always even the best of the best have close games.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

True but look at schedules again. OhioState, Georgia. Washington, Oregon have all had close games in which they didn’t runaway with in the end.

Pretty much always even the best of the best have close games.

Yep, even 2005 Texas struggled with the Aggies that year, I remember being extremely stressed until we blocked the punt for a TD. 

On 11/13/2023 at 4:00 PM, Rimbo said:

other than the five NFL starters and the practice squad guy, what ELSE did we have? AND THUS IT WAS A WEAK SPOT

Ryan Palmer until he went into the penal system, Erick Jackson, and Brandon Foster were passable as backups. And Drew Kelson was no slouch. I'd say ask Joel Klatt, but he probably has no memory of Kelson.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

On 11/13/2023 at 9:52 AM, UTEE97 said:

Sark doesn't seem "happy and satisfied" after winning these games. There is something broken in the way we are approaching the games after taking a lead, and it seems like even the coaches don't know how to fix it. I am worried if we keep playing with fire, we are likely to get burned one day.

We have shown that we can dominate teams for some streches. Not sure what it will take to maintain that edge the entire game. Why does the defense play well early and then capitulate late in the game? Is it a mental issue or conditioning problem? Why does the offense start to implode after taking a decent lead and then we are relying on someone's heroism to save us? 

Agreed.  Something is still a bit off with the confidence of the team.  Most of the roster now avoided the toxicity of Herman, and, although we had one "bad" season under Sark, we have improved.  Culture seems to have improved.  So, you'd think this team would be better at this than they are.  They have certainly progressed some, but you'd think they'd have rid themselves of whatever this is by now, or at least more than it seems.

As good as our roster may be (I'm not convinced that it is as great as we tend to think, yet), we seem really prone to execution errors, particularly in critical moments and particularly in the second half of games.  Just some kind of lack of concentration resulting from too-easy success in the first half?  Maybe it's a combination of Sark's solid early game plan leading to success, and our own mental failure to adjust to the adversity of the other team's halftime or over-game adjustments.

It does seem to me that Sark is aware of these things, at least on the micro scale, because I see a lot of second-half frustration.  It's not quite Saban-level, but he does a lot of yelling at clouds between squats.

All that hand-wringing aside, we are clearly on an upward trajectory from the last 10 years.  Hopefully, we continue to see steady improvement and this stuff falls by the wayside.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/13/2023 at 10:07 AM, Thatguy said:

I understand that. What I am saying to you is that a 5 star receiver isn't going to go play in a wishbone system despite NIL. Here are all the things kids are looking at. Program trajectory. System fit. NIL. How soon can they get on the field. All of those things are important. So when you add in that the coach is an asshole kids start looking at choices. As you know, some of the "kids trying to leave" shit is them posturing for more money. Some kids like Wiley, are truly looking for a better fit despite being taken care of as far as NIL goes. Tom Herman has systemic issues that would keep a lot of high quality player from playing for him.

And, if "all" kids are really looking at is NIL, what is that doing to their motivation and concentration on the field?

I'm not anti-NIL or other schemes to compensate players above board.  I think that's a reasonable goal.  I didn't think NIL would turn players into a bunch of money-grubbing hoes, either.

But I have always been worried that it would affect things on the field and in the locker room, to one degree or another, in some adverse way.  And I think it's foolish to believe that it isn't or won't, even if the effect isn't obvious or grotesque.

Under the NCAA's old amateurism rules, football players lived a life of minor deprivation that could function to keep them hungry for that first or second NFL contract.  That's no longer true.

On 11/13/2023 at 2:11 PM, ousux said:
On 11/13/2023 at 10:48 AM, BabaYaga said:
This is all true - the concern for me are these little windows in time that the CFB Gods give you that you have to capitalize on.  The Rig12 is dogshit this year and this team keeps regressing, not surging.  At some point this team has to turn a corner and be what the prognosticators think you can be:  dominant.  The first half play is proof of this.  It's the second half that has everyone so concerned.   

Early in the season it was the opposite. In fact the talking heads were saying how we get stronger as the game goes on and win the 4th quarter. I don't know exactly what happened since then but I'm reasonably sure attrition through injuries plays a part.

Yep, and announcers mentioned, both late last season and during the Alabama game as our D really asserted itself, our pretty heavy defensive rotation keeping players fresh.  But, it has been pointed out that our rotation schemes sometimes leave major holes in the lineups that opponents have learned to exploit.  And, injuries are probably making that worse in that it's hard to keep at least a couple really good players on the field along with the mediocre/bad ones.  So what was an advantage has turned to a disadvantage with Catalon, Watts, Barron and others being injured and either out or gimpy.

I think the notion that the BigXII is really down is now overplayed.  That was all based on predictions and roster losses.  New lineups and QBs are getting experienced and I think some of the teams are surprising people.  Just like some underperformance, perhaps, of Texas players has surprised people a bit.  There have been a fairly steady number of teams cracking the top 25 (and falling right the fuck out with wtf losses to teams to whom they ostensibly should not lose).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think the notion that the BigXII is really down is now overplayed.  That was all based on predictions and roster losses.  New lineups and QBs are getting experienced and I think some of the teams are surprising people.  Just like some underperformance, perhaps, of Texas players has surprised people a bit.  There have been a fairly steady number of teams cracking the top 25 (and falling right the fuck out with wtf losses to teams to whom they ostensibly should not lose).

I have to disagree here.  The only thing Big12 teams seem good at beating are other Big12 teams.  Outside of Texas, they're doing very little other than cannibalizing each other, and doing next to nothing with teams outside the conference.  KSU came close with MU.  OU, the second best team loses to a BAD OSU team who got the absolute brakes beat off them by a very marginal UCF team.  KS will drop out of the top 25 after they lose to KSU (more than likely).

To rank the conferences, with FSU/Louisville doing so well in the ACC, Big12 has to be 5th out of the P5 pack.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I have to disagree here.  The only thing Big12 teams seem good at beating are other Big12 teams.  Outside of Texas, they're doing very little other than cannibalizing each other, and doing next to nothing with teams outside the conference.  KSU came close with MU.  OU, the second best team loses to a BAD OSU team who got the absolute brakes beat off them by a very marginal UCF team.  KS will drop out of the top 25 after they lose to KSU (more than likely).

To rank the conferences, with FSU/Louisville doing so well in the ACC, Big12 has to be 5th out of the P5 pack.  

Eh, Kansas and Kansas State are both good teams (Kansas less so on its 3rd string QB). Texas Tech took Oregon to the wire. OU is obviously a talented, but flawed team. Oklahoma State is a very strange team. The Big 12 doesn't have any powerhouse teams right now, but what it does have is a bunch of teams that can jump up and bite pretty much anyone on the right day.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Eh, Kansas and Kansas State are both good teams (Kansas less so on its 3rd string QB). Texas Tech took Oregon to the wire. OU is obviously a talented, but flawed team. Oklahoma State is a very strange team. The Big 12 doesn't have any powerhouse teams right now, but what it does have is a bunch of teams that can jump up and bite pretty much anyone on the right day.

Bowl season might play this out, but right now it's undeniable that it's the 5th rated conference out of the 5.  To hang our hats on teams being "plucky" proves the point.  That they are so butthurt that they are obviously and intentionally trying to screw Texas and OU makes it that much more infuriating.  With unbiased refs OU wins that game going away and Texas win margin grows considerably.  These mid-tier teams would now have to actually content with overcoming penalties along with trying to match up with Texas.  

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Bowl season might play this out, but right now it's undeniable that it's the 5th rated conference out of the 5.  To hang our hats on teams being "plucky" proves the point.  That they are so butthurt that they are obviously and intentionally trying to screw Texas and OU makes it that much more infuriating.  With unbiased refs OU wins that game going away and Texas win margin grows considerably.  These mid-tier teams would now have to actually content with overcoming penalties along with trying to match up with Texas.  

LOL we are the 5th conference out of 5? Have you even seen the ACC or the Big 10 play? Absolute dogshit conferences. Big 10 has 2 teams worth a shit and the rest of the league is a joke. The ACC is even worse.

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Big 10 has 2 teams worth a shit and the rest of the league is a joke

And the Big12 has one, and the rest of the league can't beat anyone else outside their own conference.  Big12 started out ranked 5th in the conference power rankings and has done nothing to improve this.  

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

As good as our roster may be (I'm not convinced that it is as great as we tend to think, yet), we seem really prone to execution errors, particularly in critical moments and particularly in the second half of games.  Just some kind of lack of concentration resulting from too-easy success in the first half?  Maybe it's a combination of Sark's solid early game plan leading to success, and our own mental failure to adjust to the adversity of the other team's halftime or over-game adjustments.

It's also been different things back-to back-weeks.  Against KSU if was (i) terrible tackling on the long TD at the sideline that gave them momentum then (ii) back-to-back turnovers.    Last week, we started mixing in defensive backups with the big lead (while also probably calling less aggressive defense) and it kind of fell apart.  If we just make the tackle on what should have been a 9 yard gain (setting up a 3rd and short) instead of a 50+ yard gain (ending with the Savion hurdle) on their first TD drive, they probably never get back into it.  That was just abysmal execution by virtually our entire secondary.  Then momentum is a weird thing once you lose it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

10 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

LOL we are the 5th conference out of 5? Have you even seen the ACC or the Big 10 play? Absolute dogshit conferences. Big 10 has 2 teams worth a shit and the rest of the league is a joke. The ACC is even worse.

Yeah, I agree with this. Iowa State, Kansas State, Kansas, and West Virginia would all be capable of beating Penn State and Iowa (not to mention the lesser teams). I'm pretty sure I'd throw Ohio State in there too. And the SEC isn't that much better. One of our worst teams (BYU) beat one of their worst teams (Arkansas). And I don't think the likes of Kentucky, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, or A&M are all that daunting either. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

And the Big12 has one, and the rest of the league can't beat anyone else outside their own conference.  Big12 started out ranked 5th in the conference power rankings and has done nothing to improve this.  

BYU already beat Arkansas. Kansas State was right there with Missouri. A lot of conferences have a lot of mediocre teams. You're severely underrating the Big 12 or overrating the other power 5 teams. 

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

BYU already beat Arkansas. Kansas State was right there with Missouri. A lot of conferences have a lot of mediocre teams. You're severely underrating the Big 12 or overrating the other power 5 teams. 

Arkansas is turrible.  Dog shit wrapped in a warm diaper turrible.  Come on now.  KSU "almost" beating someone doesn't exactly move the needle.  Yes, every conference has mediocre teams.  The other four also have really good top teams.  The Big12 started out ranked as the 5th best conference and has done nothing to improve on this.  

8 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Iowa State, Kansas State, Kansas, and West Virginia would all be capable of beating Penn State and Iowa (not to mention the lesser teams). I'm pretty sure I'd throw Ohio State in there too.

ISU/KS/KSU/WV beating tOSU?  What drugs are you on.  

Everyone looks bad if you want to see it that way. Teams suck if we beat them, teams are okay or good if they beat us!

We made Milroe look below average, he's actually pretty good overall.

Bean has beat some good teams this year, but i'll say he came into our game less prepared than he could have been

Howard and his team came in hot and we kept them in check until we started throwing the game away

Donovan Smith is a streaky guy that got hot and we still came out on top

Don't be a pussy

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Arkansas is turrible.  Dog shit wrapped in a warm diaper turrible.  Come on now.  KSU "almost" beating someone doesn't exactly move the needle.  Yes, every conference has mediocre teams.  The other four also have really good top teams.  The Big12 started out ranked as the 5th best conference and has done nothing to improve on this.  

ISU/KS/KSU/WV beating tOSU?  What drugs are you on.  

BYU is also terrible. And that terrible Arkansas team beat Florida. That's sort of my point. Outside of Bama and Georgia, I don't think the rest of the SEC is much different than the rest of the Big 12. Kansas State taking a borderline top 10 Missouri to the wire illustrates how competitive the rest of the Big 12 could be in the current SEC. Do you really think Kansas State wouldn't beat MS State, Auburn, Florida, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, and Texas A&M? Do you really think Kansas State wouldn't defeat Missouri if it were playing at home rather than in Missouri? Insert most of the Big 12 into the P5 conferences and I think their records would be pretty similar. As I said, you're severely overrating the other conferences. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

BYU is also terrible. And that terrible Arkansas team beat Florida. That's sort of my point. Outside of Bama and Georgia, I don't think the rest of the SEC is much different than the rest of the Big 12. Kansas State taking a borderline top 10 Missouri to the wire illustrates how competitive the rest of the Big 12 could be in the current SEC. Do you really think Kansas State wouldn't beat MS State, Auburn, Florida, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, and Texas A&M? Do you really think Kansas State wouldn't defeat Missouri if it were playing at home rather than in Missouri? Insert most of the Big 12 into the P5 conferences and I think their records would be pretty similar. As I said, you're severely overrating the other conferences. 

You said our mid tier teams would/could beat tOSU...and KSU hanging with MU early in the season sounds about a moral victory aggy math as it comes.  If anyone is overrating, it's those desperate to try and defend this dogshit conference that started out last of the P5 conferences, has done nothing to improve upon this, and citing mid tier teams as evidence while completely ignoring their multiple dominant, top teams that are all contending for NYD bowls and the CFB playoffs.  

22 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Again, this isn't about "tight" games, this is about second half meltdowns on teams that were down by multiple TDs at halftime.  Teams that simply are not good teams either, outside of KSU.  

Okay, so we've had three meltdowns, one of which was against K State, who is pretty good.

And, we could throw Wyoming in there, which wasn't a meltdown, but it was 10-10 after three quarters.  I told anyone who would listen that that was a pretty good 8-4 type of team.  And Wyoming is 6-4 with two very winnable games left.  

So, basically, everyone is shitting their pants because we let two overmatched opponents come back into their games.

But, but, TexArcher, we could be 6-4 or even 5-5 if things had gone perfectly wrong for us like we're used to!

But, they didn't.  We're 9-1.  We're winning the games we used to blow.  So, everybody can put their battered fan syndrome away and let's go win the conference.

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Everyone looks bad if you want to see it that way. Teams suck if we beat them, teams are okay or good if they beat us!

We made Milroe look below average, he's actually pretty good overall.

Bean has beat some good teams this year, but i'll say he came into our game less prepared than he could have been

Howard and his team came in hot and we kept them in check until we started throwing the game away

Donovan Smith is a streaky guy that got hot and we still came out on top

Don't be a pussy

Daniels, Bean, Milroe, Howard, Smith. Those aren’t bad QBs by most measures 

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Okay, so we've had three meltdowns, one of which was against K State, who is pretty good.

And, we could throw Wyoming in there, which wasn't a meltdown, but it was 10-10 after three quarters.  I told anyone who would listen that that was a pretty good 8-4 type of team.  And Wyoming is 6-4 with two very winnable games left.  

So, basically, everyone is shitting their pants because we let two overmatched opponents come back into their games.

But, but, TexArcher, we could be 6-4 or even 5-5 if things had gone perfectly wrong for us like we're used to!

But, they didn't.  We're 9-1.  We're winning the games we used to blow.  So, everybody can put their battered fan syndrome away and let's go win the conference.

It's improvement - these are games that last years team more than likely loses.  We all love the spot the team is in, the concern is how they are winning and how that translates to better teams in more hostile environments.  

17 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

It's improvement - these are games that last years team more than likely loses.  We all love the spot the team is in, the concern is how they are winning and how that translates to better teams in more hostile environments.  

Yeah, I understand that.  We certainly haven't been as dominant as we'd like.  But, we've overcome a lot of injuries and we're still winning.  And, our guys are getting used to winning, which I think goes a long way for the future, the same way winning several games in a row and a Rose Bowl in 2004 set the table for 2005.  We are becoming a top tier team again, finally.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Alabama has also tweaked their offense since our game and stopped trying to make Milroe a pocket passer.

It dont make a shit. He's still the same guy.

Bah gawd, they changed their approach to the game now so theyre better than us!

I bet Kansas State thought they were better than they showed when they lost to Missouri and Oklahoma State now that they started playing Avery Johnson too

50 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

You said our mid tier teams would/could beat tOSU...and KSU hanging with MU early in the season sounds about a moral victory aggy math as it comes.  If anyone is overrating, it's those desperate to try and defend this dogshit conference that started out last of the P5 conferences, has done nothing to improve upon this, and citing mid tier teams as evidence while completely ignoring their multiple dominant, top teams that are all contending for NYD bowls and the CFB playoffs.  

I've watched Ohio State play against the pretty mediocre Big 10 and Notre Dame. While I'd favor Ohio State against the rest of the Big 12, I think the teams I mentioned are all more than capable of taking Ohio State down on the right day. That's all I said. You're the one saying the rest of the Big 12 couldn't win a game against teams in the other power 5 conferences. That's simple non-sense. 

Here are your "multiple dominant, top team teams" from each conference:

Big 10 - Ohio State, Michigan

SEC - Georgia (struggled with Auburn and Mizzou) and Alabama (who we beat, and only beat Arkansas by 3)

ACC - FSU (2 point win over BC) and ... Louisville (who lost to 2-8 Pittsburgh)?

Pac 12 - Washington (who could only score 15 vs Arizona State) and Oregon (who almost lost to TTech)

Putting the ACC clearly over the Big 12 is a stretch I think. The Pac 12 has looked good, but USC's collapse causes it lose some luster. The Big 10 hasn't really been tested. And one of the SEC's top teams has already lost to one of the Big 12's top teams. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I think the teams I mentioned are all more than capable of taking Ohio State down on the right day.

Drugs

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

you're the one saying the rest of the Big 12 couldn't win a game against teams in the other power 5 conferences. That's simple non-sense. 

Didn't say they couldn't, saying when given the chance they didn't.  

The rest is simplistic MMA math:  X beat Y, Y beat Z, ergo X would beat Z