What was/is your brand of cigarettes?

Royalfan5

I smoked Marlboro Lights for years. I switched to Camel Lights after New Year’s Eve 1998 when I realized during an acid trip how much better they tasted. It was a revelation.

Some years after that they changed their formula and didn’t taste as good anymore. I don’t know if it was government-mandated changes to the chemicals they added or if there were other cost-cutting measures involved with the tobacco they were using but the change was dramatic. I swore I would quit. It still took a number of year after that until I kicked the habit for good. I smoked my last cigarette on Aug. 31, 2014.

I can smoke an occasional cigar and still enjoy the taste of tobacco from time to time. I know if I smoke just one cigarette that I’ll be back to smoking a pack a day within a week. Sometimes I have dreams where I find myself smoking a cigarette and freak out because I forgot I quit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I still remember my mom's voice like it was yesterday:

"HP, get up and change the channel. Also light me a cigarette."

I was lighting my parents cigarettes since I was old enough to use a lighter. Its amazing that I never really got hooked. As posted above, just a social smoker, and to stay awake on long drives. (works better than caffeine, imo).

started at 13 (insane!) sneaking my mom's Tareytons which were just god awful 😝, you'd think that would have deterred me but nah lol. 

quit in 2009, picked them up again after a couple of years (so stupid 🙄), quit for good 2018. other than a couple years in the 90s when i was cosmopolitan and smoked Virginia Slims and then Capris, was mostly Marlboro Lights then Ultra Lights when those came along. 

we went camping for the first time in over a decade this year... we were laughing at all the Marlboro Buck$ gear we had in our camping supplies 😄 because smoking and outdoor adventure activities go so well together! 😜

I still smoke a little in certain situations. Was never addicted. I have no idea how people can do a pack a day anymore, they're like $12 bucks a pack now! When I do smoke, its Turkish Gold or Natural American Spirits. The Spirits burn slow so I often will smoke half, put it out, and light up again later.

Grandfather smoked Pall Malls.  Dad smoked Kools.  Those are the only smokes I ever bought, as a kid running into the store or gas station for them.

I never dipped or chewed.

I hate all of it, because it's fucking gross, and it doesn't just impact the user.

I never smoked, but I was the kid they sent to the store to buy smokes. I still know everyone's brand 40 years later:
Mom: Marlboro Red (hard pack only)
Dad: Pall Mall no filter
Grandma: True
Aunt Phyllis: Benson and Hedges
Uncle Tom and Aunt Gail: Winston
Uncle Ronald and Aunt Liz: Vantage
My sisters: Parliament
Uncle Robert: Camel no filter
Aunt Phil: Tareyton

I lost it at sisters

392bbb186dc784946e02759dd8784433.gif
  • Haha 1

Dad smoked vantage and eventually their ultra lights, which had zero flavor IMO.
I smoked Marlboro Lights from 16-26, quit in 1998. I never really liked smoking.

I still chew nicotine gum daily. By far the most addictive thing I’ve ever found. I'll quit from time to time but inevitably pick it back up.

But the best tobacco on earth is Levi Garrett with Red Man being an honorable mention. There is nothing as satisfying as stuffing in a huge chaw and then chewing it down and generating that first spit. I hope there's chewing tobacco in Heaven.

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

But the best tobacco on earth is Levi Garrett

Loose leaf or plug? I liked the loose leaf because it was more controllable the amount, but chewing on a piece from the plug to open it up was always a great first couple spits.

When I was in high school, we all farted around with Skoal, Copenhagen and the various chews.

I never really got the point of plug in a pouch.  The old school stuff like Day's Work and Brown's Mule were portable without the pouch and I think you could smoke it in a pipe if you were so inclined.  It was also very strange tasting, very sweet, maybe licorice or some other flavor that to me did not work with tobacco at all.

The most interesting thing though, a player on our high school team bought some peach chew at a tobacco store.  Tasted pretty much like a peach jolly rancher and the tobacco was almost completely masked.  So everyone was chewing on that.  It also made prodigious, very viscous spit and the floor of our dugout was covered with it.  It would stick to people's spikes and make strings connecting them to the concrete.  That was hideous and the coach banned it on that ground.

I always kind of liked Beech Nut, before the Wintergreen.  It was kind of the Copenhagen of chew.

• Haha 1

On 11/17/2023 at 6:27 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

I smoked Marlboro Lights for years. I switched to Camel Lights after New Year’s Eve 1998 when I realized during an acid trip how much better they tasted. It was a revelation.

Yep. My high school friends mostly smoked Marlboro Lights, but I smoked Camel Lights. They tasted so much better. Plus there was that bearded peeing guy on the camel’s leg. 

I feel like I should note that part of my smoking such as it was is that I tried to chew Skoal WinterGreen fine cut like my Uncles but I just couldn’t master the wrist motion to pack it worth a shit, and couldn’t lower myself to bandits.

I also tried out Dutch Masters Cigars because my grandpa used to get those by the box full, but it just made me want and Ice cream cone because he always get me one at the co-op when I have got ride around with him to open gates and lock out the 4 wheel drive hubs in the pasture because his knees were shot from dairying 

Edited by Royalfan5
  • Like 1

I’ve only ever smoked in social situations. I’ve found, especially as smokers get fewer and fewer, that you learn interesting things if you go outside with them and bum a smoke. 

I’ve actually bought one pack of cigarettes in my life.  I always thought that it was cool how unfiltered Camel smokers would get the square pack and tap it to pack the tobacco. So I did that. I felt like my lungs needed to be degreased the next day. Never again, although I’ll still bum one or two at a bar, very rarely. 

• 2 weeks later...

I started on Marlboro reds in the 60’s. When I went to Germany to finish school I switched to HB’s (Haus Bergmann). When I got back stateside I picked up Winston’s and finally Marlboro lights. Put them down a long time ago, but if I’m being honest, I always liked to smoke. Especially in the morning with strong coffee.

• 1 month later...
Yep. My high school friends mostly smoked Marlboro Lights, but I smoked Camel Lights. They tasted so much better. Plus there was that bearded peeing guy on the camel’s leg. 

Marlboro Lights until I became the door guy at Flying Saucer in downtown Houston. The Camel rep would bring be two packs a night when she was out and about. Free > what I liked.

On 11/19/2023 at 9:20 PM, Royalfan5 said:

I feel like I should note that part of my smoking such as it was is that I tried to chew Skoal WinterGreen fine cut like my Uncles but I just couldn’t master the wrist motion to pack it worth a shit, and couldn’t lower myself to bandits.

I tried chew for a while in HS. I was a big baseball fan, but the mess associated with it wasn't worth it. The only time I dipped was when I was working hay. The absolute last thing I wanted to do was set the field on fire. I went with Skol because of Earl, but it was never really my thing.