Week 12, 2023; Texas Tech at Texas

Wulaw Horn

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You spend a lot of time each week, and during the offseason, shitting yourself over all of the ways Texas will lose and fail to live up to standards. It seems like hard fucking work, so, good for you, I guess. 

It really is amazing.  And it's always thoughful and the like. It's not like the mouth breathers that are like Hurr Durrr Quinn is an UFA if he goes out but he needs to get the fuck out of here b/c he's terrible and MM is awesome variety of paint chip eating motherfucker in our fanbase.  Which, good god I checked the Ewers thread after ISU and it was grim how fucking stupid some of the fanbase is.  But year, exhausting work for sure being that much of a coward.  

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The big thing with Tech is they're averaging 22 points a game over the last 5. Against 4/5 defenses that aren't very good. 

Score 25-30 points and a loss seems very unlikely for Texas. 

I mean, if you think our secondary is going to shut them down when they start throwing the ball around I think you are on an island.  

• Rage+1 2

13 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean, if you think our secondary is going to shut them down when they start throwing the ball around I think you are on an island.  

Our secondary rarely shuts anyone down but we've only given up over 25 points in 3/11 games. The K-State game was all on the offense and special teams too (I.e. turnovers). 

The good news with Tech is they aren't loaded at WR. I actually think Iowa State has 2 WRs better than anyone Tech has on the roster (Higgins and Noel). Their strength is Tahj Brooks but stopping the run is also our strength. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 6

It will be interesting to see if Texas Tech fundamentally alters their approach on offense. 

They've been feeding Tahj Brooks. 24 carries, 33 carries, 31 carries, and 31 carries the last 4 games. He's been carrying them to close wins but I'm not sure that's a viable strategy against the Texas run defense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It will be interesting to see if Texas Tech fundamentally alters their approach on offense. 

They've been feeding Tahj Brooks. 24 carries, 33 carries, 31 carries, and 31 carries the last 4 games. He's been carrying them to close wins but I'm not sure that's a viable strategy against the Texas run defense. 

Kittley wants an excuse to turn to the pass. There was an alleged come to Jesus meeting after the KSU game and he was given the mandate to impose the run. 

I expect Texas to shut down the run completely. Kittley will see the eye candy of the intermediate passing game and go for that. He doesn't have the horses for it. Texas doesn't seem to care a whole lot about giving up 300 yards passing if they can get to the QB and shut down the run. Tech has nothing at WR that is worrying. The QB is a below average P5 QB. The OL is mediocre. 

If this game doesn't look a lot like BYU or better, I'll be surprised.

• Hook 'Em 6

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Kittley wants an excuse to turn to the pass. There was an alleged come to Jesus meeting after the KSU game and he was given the mandate to impose the run. 

I expect Texas to shut down the run completely. Kittley will see the eye candy of the intermediate passing game and go for that. He doesn't have the horses for it. Texas doesn't seem to care a whole lot about giving up 300 yards passing if they can get to the QB and shut down the run. Tech has nothing at WR that is worrying. The QB is a below average P5 QB. The OL is mediocre. 

If this game doesn't look a lot like BYU or better, I'll be surprised.

Yeah, Tahj Brooks getting 30+ carries does not sound like a winning formula at all against this Texas run defense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The only pause I have with this game is TTU literally has nothing to lose so I expect them to go for it on 4th down any time it's semi-reasonable. 4th & 8 from your own 40? Go for it. 4th & 2 from your own 30? Go for it. A win here would probably get McGuire a contract extension & a loss means literally nothing. I have us winning 38-24 but if our D isn't ready to play 4 downs & thinks just stopping them on 3rd down is going to cut it then we're in for a game like we had in Lubbock last year. Play aggressive on D & never let up. Our offense shouldn't have too many issues assuming we don't beat ourselves with penalties & missed assignments.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Ballard was the KU QB when they played Tech.  Neal ran for 140, but Ballard was a pedestrian 9/20 for 124 yards.

That's the funny thing about the QB injury excuse for Tech. 

Plumlee still looks like he's playing on 1 leg and KU played their 3rd string QB for most of the game. If UCF and Kansas had a healthy QB situation that would be 2 more losses for Tech. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Had a *0th birthday this year.  Youngest daughter (no pics) offered to buy tickets for a game of my choice.  I chose this one.  I chose it because of all the shit that has been spewed by little Joey and his daddy Brett.  At the time she bought the tickets, I told her I don't care how this season goes as long as we stomp the shit out of Tech.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Had a *0th birthday this year.  Youngest daughter (no pics) offered to buy tickets for a game of my choice.  I chose this one.  I chose it because of all the shit that has been spewed by little Joey and his daddy Brett.  At the time she bought the tickets, I told her I don't care how this season goes as long as we stomp the shit out of Tech.  

Lucky for you it seems like you will have your cake and eat it too. 

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Not sure where this should go, but the discussion around what the big 12 looks like for Texas Tech once UT and OU leave is the genesis. Having a current 10-1 Texas and 9-2 OU leave the big 12 and replacing them with the following is hilarious:

BYU: 2-6 in conference and 5-6 overall

UCF: 2-6 in conference and 5-6 overall

UH: 2-6 in conference and 4-7 overall

CIN: 1-7 in conference and 3-8 overall

Not knowing Tech's history, you think they would have the leg up as the largest of the Texas universities in the conference. But finishing the regular season in all likelihood .500 and barely making a bowl game does not inspire a ton of confidence.  Looking more and more like Oklahoma State and the Kansas schools might actually be leading the way assuming they are able to hold on to their coaches.

Regardless of which school leads this dump once 2 of the current top 3 teams leave, I don't know that I would be bragging about it. Even with a 12 team playoff I could see their conference champ getting the shaft with anything north of one loss. 

But we also can't forget the incoming teams from the PAC. It will be fun to see them integrate into the mix.

Fify

Something else to consider is that one of Tech's good DTs is likely out for this game as well as their solid MLB. They've got a good DT to account for and good safety play. They're otherwise pedestrian on defense, especially without the injured and/or redshirting talent.

I think bowl eligibility decompressed everything from the Tech end. Reading their 247 board and reading both the quotes from the staff and players after the UCF game and from the posters regarding the Texas game, everyone sounds resigned and relieved. I do not expect this to be a jihad game for Tech. Would McGuire and the boosters love to get the big victory? Sure, but it is now a luxury. 

I do think, with senior night and everything at stake for Texas, that Texas will be up.

20 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Ballard was the KU QB when they played Tech.  Neal ran for 140, but Ballard was a pedestrian 9/20 for 124 yards.

In watching that game and then seeing the stats, I'm shocked that Ballard had 20 attempts. It seemed like Liepold was going out of his way to prevent Ballard from throwing the ball.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

In watching that game and then seeing the stats, I'm shocked that Ballard had 20 attempts. It seemed like Liepold was going out of his way to prevent Ballard from throwing the ball.

Same thing in the K-State game. 

Sucks for Kansas. If they just had their 2nd string QB they would probably be right in the mix for the Big 12 championship game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

You spend a lot of time each week, and during the offseason, shitting yourself over all of the ways Texas will lose and fail to live up to standards. It seems like hard fucking work, so, good for you, I guess. 

never mind 

Edited by WinningIsHard
my fault

Tech will be up for this game. No doubt about it. Brooks has tired legs, but they'll run him as much as he can take. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain in this game. 

They'll get Morton killed out there if it means getting a few extra first downs. Hutchings will play if he can go at all.

They're not playing the good LB Martinez just so they can preserve his redshirt. Their WRs gave us fits last year, but I think Myles Price (10 recs last year) might be too hurt to go.

Drae McCray is fast and shifty enough. 

None of this will make a shit if we show up at all. I think the guys are locked in and have plenty of motivation to get the job done. Way too close to the endzone to ease up.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas doesn't seem to care a whole lot about giving up 300 yards passing if they can get to the QB and shut down the run.

I mean, with our lack of speed and depth in the secondary, we basically hope we don't let em get behind us and can stuff them in the red zone where they have less room to move. It's a strategy based on personnel.

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

Not sure where this should go, but the discussion around what the big 12 looks like for Texas Tech once UT and OU leave is the genesis. Having a current 10-1 Texas and 9-2 OU leave the big 12 and replacing them with the following is hilarious:

BYU: 2-6 in conference and 5-6 overall

UCF: 2-6 in conference and 5-6 overall

UH: 2-6 in conference and 4-7 overall

CIN: 1-7 in conference and 3-8 overall

Not knowing Tech's history, you think they would have the leg up as the largest of the Texas universities in the conference. But finishing the regular season in all likelihood .500 and barely making a bowl game does not inspire a ton of confidence.  Looking more and more like Oklahoma State and the Kansas schools might actually be leading the way assuming they are able to hold on to their coaches.

Regardless of which school leads this dump once 2 of the current top 3 teams leave, I don't know that I would be bragging about it. Even with a 12 team playoff I could see their conference champ getting the shaft with anything north of one loss. 

Iswydt

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

I mean, with our lack of speed and depth in the secondary, we basically hope we don't let em get behind us and can stuff them in the red zone where they have less room to move. It's a strategy based on personnel.

Texas doesnt lack depth in the secondary. I think many would argue that Texas plays too many people in the secondary. Though it seemed like Crawford's time was significantly reduced in the ISU game, which is a good thing. Speed is different issue. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Texas doesnt lack depth in the secondary. I think many would argue that Texas plays too many people in the secondary. Though it seemed like Crawford's time was significantly reduced in the ISU game, which is a good thing. Speed is different issue. 

in fact the more I read your post the more detached from reality it gets

Edited by Rimbo

Just now, Js1 said:

Part of me thinks this is going to be the game where we put it all together. 

• Clinch a spot in the Big 12 championship
  • Keep CFP hopes alive and a statement game against a common opponent with Oregon
  • Senior Night
  • Last Big 12 regular season game for Texas ever
  • Revenge for 2022 game against Tech and Yormark's remarks earlier in the year
  • Chance to finish regular season 11-1

Texas is going to romp by 3 TDs. 

Return of the drone show

• Hook 'Em 1

• Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic