Week 12, 2023; Texas Tech at Texas

Wulaw Horn

• immamac changed the title to Week 12, 2023; Texas Tech at Texas
9 minutes ago, AeroHorn said:

I hadn't paid attention to them and was expecting them to have a losing conference record. They are 5-3/6-5 and have only one loss with more than one score. No idea how good they are compared to other top half teams.

They haven’t played anyone at the top of the league. They don’t play OU, OSU, or ISU. They haven’t played Texas yet. KSU and WVU beat them and they only beat Kansas mainly because Kansas lost its starting QB early in game. BYU beat them easily. 

And both KSU and BYU best them by more than one score. 

Edited by Neonmoon

8 minutes ago, AeroHorn said:

I hadn't paid attention to them and was expecting them to have a losing conference record. They are 5-3/6-5 and have only one loss with more than one score. No idea how good they are compared to other top half teams.

They have one win against a team with a winning record (Kansas).

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

They haven’t played anyone at the top of the league. They don’t play OU, OSU, or ISU. They haven’t played Texas yet. KSU and WVU beat them and they only beat Kansas mainly because Kansas lost its starting QB early in game. BYU beat them easily. 

And both KSU and BYU best them by more than one score. 

TTU is better than this. You can pretty much ignore their games where they relied on Jake Strong.

They were going toe to toe with KSU until Morton got knocked out. Then KSU leaned into the Avery Johnson wrinkle and he took the game over. Strong turned the ball over a ton.

BYU game was a comedy of errors led by Strong again.

They are on a 3 game winning streak with Morton back, but Tahj Brooks makes that offense go. They have a good receiving corps too.

The defense is questionable, especially if their stud safety Taylor-Demerson doesn't play. They are very thin at linebacker too.

Hutchings gave us trouble last year, but he may be out. E'maurion Banks made some big time plays last night though.

This could be a sneaky one if we aren't focused.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Tech is better than their record suggests. They played a few games with a third string QB, and against Wyoming in the opener I think they got caught taking a decent opponent with a real home field advantage (at altitude) lightly. This is a 6-5 team that could easily be in that 8-3/9-2 realm along with KSU, Kansas, OSU, and OU - I think they are in that second tier of the conference when they've got a QB. They are probably going to fuck another P5 also ran up in a bowl game.

Their defense is pretty solid and Brooks is a stud RB. Their offense relies heavily on Brooks, it will be interesting to see if they insist on trying to give him 30 carries or if they take a pass-first approach on offense. The former probably leads to a long night for Tech.

Texas is favored for a reason but I think two TD's is a pretty wack number for the line. Tech is going to come and play their best game of the year and Texas needs to bring the preparation and energy to match, otherwise losing is very much on the table. The flip side of this coin is that I honestly think a resounding win, should Texas do that, would be a lot more impressive than it normally would be against a 6-6 team.

42 minutes ago, Atticus said:

TTU is better than this. You can pretty much ignore their games where they relied on Jake Strong.

They were going toe to toe with KSU until Morton got knocked out. Then KSU leaned into the Avery Johnson wrinkle and he took the game over. Strong turned the ball over a ton.

They are on a 3 game winning streak with Morton back, but Tahj Brooks makes that offense go. They have a good receiving corps too.

The defense is questionable, especially if their stud safety Taylor-Demerson doesn't play. They are very thin at linebacker too.

Hutchings gave us trouble last year, but he may be out. E'maurion Banks made some big time plays last night though.

Please tell me they don’t run a 3-3-5!

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

If you look past the score, Tech had a bad game versus UCF. If the team that beat UCF scares us, we should not be uttering the word "playoff."

They weren't any better the week before. 

A 3 point win vs a 3rd string QB is hardly impressive. Kansas would beat Tech by 10+ points with Jalon Daniels. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Seems about right to me. 

They've played 2 top 25 teams (both at home) with their 1st and 2nd string QB. Lost by 8 to Oregon and by 17 to K-State. 

Morton only played the first half against KSU, they were down 3 at the half. They were struggling a bit to keep up, but it was competitive. Once Strong settled in, that game went the other way in a hurry.

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Morton only played the first half against KSU, they were down 3 at the half. They were struggling a bit to keep up, but it was competitive. Once Strong settled in, that game went the other way in a hurry.

The team I've seen in the last 3 weeks should not give us issues if we are a "playoff caliber" team. 

Barely beat 5-6 TCU at home, beat a 3rd string Kansas QB by 3 points, and struggled at home against 5-6 UCF. They look exactly like a 6-6 team the last 3 weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

And Kansas played a walk-on FR QB for 3/4 quarters in that one. 

You can't post this...

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Seems about right to me. 

They've played 2 top 25 teams (both at home) with their 1st and 2nd string QB. Lost by 8 to Oregon and by 17 to K-State. 

... And then this, without noting that third string Jake Strong threw 28 passes (3 INTs) against K State. Tech was down 17-14 at half and actually took a 21-17 lead before turnoverpalooza started.

They've shown to be right there with the teams that have beaten or very nearly beaten Texas this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Texas smoked them but a two TD baseline just seems high.

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Well, here it is, the final edition of the scheduled regular season tour where we shove it up the asses of the irate 8 who got left behind  

Texas currently has scoreboard on every single team in the conference (that’s staying here) other than Texas Tech and Oklahoma State. We get the chance to avenge last years loss on the way out the door and leave this series exactly where it belongs for all time, with us wiping our shit smeared dick on their face after we finish fucking them up the ass. 

The last couple weeks I’ve had a hard time working up any animosity toward TCU and Iowa State because they are so irrelevant to us, who we are as a program and college football in general. Tech, however, has earned a lifetime of hatred and scorn from me. They blew our chance to win the big 12 in Ricky’s senior season, then another chance in 2002, and finally wrecked our national championship dreams in 2008. We cannot go out like bitches and let them screw up important stuff on our agenda. 

All those scenarios happened in Lubbock and most of them when Tech had a better team than they do this year. We always take care of them in Austin when we have the slightest bit of an inclination to play hard and focused. I’d say we have more than that going on in our favor this week. 

Tech is a second rate program in a third rate town with a loudmouth high school coach with a low IQ and a propensity for drunk driving. So, sure, he’d fit in around here just fine, I guess, but let’s go ahead and monkey stomp them and then never have to see, hear, play or think of them again.

Y’all were cool when you had Mike Leach and then fucked that up in the dumbest way possible only to go back to your historical norm of being uninterested, uninspiring and unsurprisingly mediocre. 

Game Week notes here fellas. Hook ‘Em High like an Eagle soars and have a happy thanksgiving. 

image.gif.ad45a76fe6abe0d6f65be3078c25a1ff.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The team I've seen in the last 3 weeks should not give us issues if we are a "playoff caliber" team. 

Barely beat 5-6 TCU at home, beat a 3rd string Kansas QB by 3 points, and struggled at home against 5-6 UCF. They look exactly like a 6-6 team the last 3 weeks. 

Come on man. Any given Saturday/Sunday. It's a matchup game. That same KU team went toe to toe with K-state yesterday. Same UCF team blew out Oklahoma state and went to the wire with OU.

This Tech team has the tools on offense to make this a challenge if we play below average ball. They don't have the battering ram QB to convert massive 4th downs over and over with anymore though.

They're gonna gamble early and often too

And no, they don't run the 3 high safety look. However, they will probably throw it out there once we start moving the ball through the air with ease.

Edited by Atticus

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

You can't post this...

... And then this, without noting that third string Jake Strong threw 28 passes (3 INTs) against K State. Tech was down 17-14 at half and actually took a 21-17 lead before turnoverpalooza started.

They've shown to be right there with the teams that have beaten or very nearly beaten Texas this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Texas smoked them but a two TD baseline just seems high.

I think K-State and Oregon are about 8 to 10 points better than Tech in Lubbock (excluding all the circumstances in the K-State game). 

I'm having a hard time understanding how 14 points on the road is viewed as crazy. Texas might not cover but still seems about right. 

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Come on man. Any given Saturday/Sunday. It's a matchup game. That same KU team went toe to toe with K-state yesterday. Same UCF team blew out Oklahoma state and went to the wire with OU.

This Tech team has the tools on offense to make this a challenge if we play below average ball. They don't have the battering ram QB to convert massive 4th downs over and over with anymore though.

They're gonna gamble early and often too

And no, they don't run the 3 high safety look. However, they will probably throw it out there once we start moving the ball through the air with ease.

But that's the case with any team we play. 

They're a 6-5 team with 0 wins against a ranked opponent, 1 win against a team with a winning record, and 3 losses to teams outside the top 50. This is not a good team.

Yes, it's Tech's superbowl and they have some players at certain positions. They're a 14 point underdog and 1 game away from being 6-6 because they are an average to bad team. 

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

We will get out to a 27 to 7 lead, inexplicably allow them to score two touchdowns to lead 27 to 21, then they will recover an onside kick, kick a field goal, it will be 27 to 24, Surly will be convulsing with weeping and wailing, then we will score to touchdowns to ice it 41-24. If you will it, it is no dream, dude.

Edited by Hornius Emeritus
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

We should be more focused on this game than other game Texas has had since the 2009 National Championship game.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think K-State and Oregon are about 8 to 10 points better than Tech in Lubbock (excluding all the circumstances in the K-State game). 
I'm having a hard time understanding how 14 points on the road is viewed as crazy. Texas might not cover but still seems about right. 

In October and November Texas has one 14+ point win, BYU. Houston, K State, TCU, and Iowa State all got within the 13.5 points. And of course there is the OU loss. Put a 3-6 point adjustment on those as needed for site of the game and only Iowa State changes. Texas just isn’t winning games by large margins and I wouldn’t touch a line that suggests they will, particularly in an emotionally charged game like this.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

In October and November Texas has one 14+ point win, BYU. Houston, K State, TCU, and Iowa State all got within the 13.5 points. And of course there is the OU loss. Put a 3-6 point adjustment on those as needed for site of the game and only Iowa State changes. Texas just isn’t winning games by large margins and I wouldn’t touch a line that suggests they will, particularly in an emotionally charged game like this.

Goddamn are we due for a complete game.

• Hook 'Em 1

• Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic