Texas vs UCONN- 6pm on ESPNU

shadow_operative

15 minutes ago, Pancho said:

This could be a “good loss” because we’re getting hammered in the media for our “bad win” yesterday. While I wanted us to blow out Louisville, I just ended up wanting to see takeaways from that game. 

The big thing was just playing UCONN because we needed a good opponent. 

I don't think Indiana is particularly good. They've already struggled with 3 mid-majors and were blown out by UCONN yesterday.  They look nothing like a NCAA tournament team. 

Yesterday (and really only the 2nd half) was first I've seen of this team.  Obviously incredibly cold shooting and that's just basketball but I certainly didn't see the defensive intensity we were accustomed to last year (until that last possession).  I never put much weight on first 8-10 games or so of a new season, particularly for a team with a bunch of new faces, but that's what I would like to see more of tonight regardless of outcome.

We scored 81 points on 2-15 shooting from BTA. The offense is fine. The defense will be a work in progress all year until the players learn the system. Horton and Abmas have to close out under control to not allow the blow byes to the paint. Louisville played out of control and was rewarded more than should have been, the also got lucky because they were throwing a lot of bad passes that we didn't get our hands on.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

This is incredible. Early season Top 15 matchup and it's designated to one level above the ocho. At least the NFL game is actually a good one.

I mean, what's the other option with MNF? ESPN wasn't going to put it up against Maui Invitational this afternoon, which is on ESPN2. 

• immamac changed the title to Texas vs UCONN- 6pm on ESPNU

I've seen and heard some comments that our defensive ceiling could be lower than last year because we have smaller guards.  Need more data, but I can see that.  It sure looked like Abmas got bullied yesterday.  He's probably a downgrade from Carr defensively.  Horton has good size, but is not going to be the defender that Rice was.  Haven't seen enough of Weaver and Johnson, but it won't be too hard to equal Morris who was pretty bad.

On the other hand, we look stronger inside with Onyema, Shedrick, and eventually Disu.  Onyema can be a beast in there.  I'm worried about Shedrick's shoulder.  We're 4 games in and he's already hit the floor hard on it like 3 times.

Edited by ClubWhatever

3 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

I've seen and heard some comments that our defensive ceiling could be lower than last year because we have smaller guards.  Need more data, but I can see that.  It sure looked like Abmas got bullied yesterday.  He's probably a downgrade from Carr defensively.  Horton has good size, but is not going to be the defender that Rice was.  Haven't seen enough of Weaver and Johnson, but it won't be too hard to equal Morris who was pretty bad.

On the other hand, we look stronger inside with Onyema, Shedrick, and eventually Disu.  Onyema can be a beast in there.  I'm worried about Shedrick's shoulder.  We're 4 games in and he's already hit the floor hard on it like 3 times.

We probably need to run more zone this year against teams that can't shoot it. 

It stops penetration. Indiana went to a zone late and completely slowed down Louisville's penetration. 

Just now, shadow_operative said:

wait, we’re no.15? lol. if abmas doesn’t drain that one incredibly difficult shot then we’d have lost to louisville and we wouldn’t even be getting votes. he made it, so we’re top 15. okie dokie.

New rankings came out today and we moved up