2023 TDAY/XMAS/NY Holiday Menus and Food Prons

Anastasis

We have a long-standing recipe thread and turkey thread and others buried about, but let's see how everything comes together. Love getting ideas from the menu threads. Prons not required but highly encouraged and posrepped.

Prior annual threads (reverse chronological order, 2022-2018):

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Thanksgiving menu, pretty traditional fare, small crowd 6 adults and 5 children. Recipes for sides mostly pulled from NYT Cooking app. Some asshole forgot to pick up the tamales, so that stuffing gets scratched (won't make same mistake at Xmas). 

Mains
Roasted turkey (14#) stuffed with hashweh (rice and meat stuffing)
Ham

Sides
Roasted mushroom and green bean casserole
Mashed potato casserole
Stuffed onions
Tamale stuffing (bozo recipe)
Sweet potato dish (BIL)

Apps
Green onion cheese ball
Bouyardi (roasted feta/tomato dip)
Stuffed shrooms
Spinach pies

Desert
Pumpkin
Pecan 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just the wife and I so the usual turkey, stuffing, taters, corn, jellied cranberry sauce, and we’re trying out the rolls from Texas Roadhouse this year, cherry & pumpkin pie. We go big on the turkey as I like to freeze a half dozen plates for tv dinners throughout the year. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Cooking for just four, so a pretty basic menu of turkey, stuffing (my mom’s from the midwest, so dressing was foreign to me growing up), brussel sprouts with bacon and balsamic, Boursin mashed potatoes, cranberries, and roasted root vegetable salad. Kicking it off with Bloody Mary’s.

Happy Thanksgiving, my dudes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Mixed charcuterie plate with some red wine blends to open with.  Smoked whole turkey breast (Franklin BBQ style, drenched in butter), two smoked whole pork loins, one filled with sage pork sausage, one filled with Italian pork sausage, and both wrapped in bacon.  Corn pudding casserole, sweet potato casserole with bacon and pecans, garlicy green beans, yeast rolls, and home-made cranberrry sauce.  Guests are bringing dessert (and hopefully, lots of wine).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

couple pounds of sliced Smoked Turkey from Rudy's( don't knock it) Normally I love cooking the turkey, but it's just the wife and I this year.

Green bean casserole

Stuffing

cranberry sauce

gravy

Baked Apple/ Cinnamon cheesecake

Various bourbons, beer, and wine.

Already had family Facetime chat from NJ/ Tokyo/ and West Texas this morning.  Christmas will be a bigger deal for us this year.  Lots to be grateful for in our lives!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Edited by slorch

Wife is not feeling well so we didn’t go see the kids in Oklahoma. Just us two.

Prime rib (Alton Brown’s reverse sear) with horseradish cream
Tamale dressing (modified Lisa Fain recipe)
Cranberry Orange sauce
Smashed red potatoes
Green bean casserole. No f’n shrooms.
Sauteed Brussels sprouts with bacon
Crescent rolls (Pillsbury. Childhood for us both)
Pecan pie
Cherry pie
Brownies

• Like 4

Going to wife’s brother’s in half an hour.  Wife was assigned to bring her mom’s stuffing recipe. I was assigned to bring pecan pie and my mother’s biscuit recipe.  Not sure what else SIL has planned, but it is sure to be phenomenal.  She is about as good as a home cook can be - both cooking and baking.

IMG_2413.jpeg

IMG_2415.jpeg

IMG_2414.jpeg

Edited by Tonesky
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

IMG_1136.thumb.jpeg.390088923acb1e65bfee0ef947d8b1e5.jpeg

Thanksgiving leftover quesadilla.   Made a cream cheese + cranberry sauce spread for the inside then added turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes.   Dipped the wedges in gravy.  Needed the crunch of the toasted tortilla to contrast with the stuffing/mashed potatoes inside.  Will do again.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

dc87c79eba5adf6472900a69ee87a20f.jpg
BIL came correct with a badass pot of collards on thanksgiving.  Smoked turkey necks and some sort of hog in there.

This is how traditions are born. He is now required to bring them every year. Awesome addition to our spread.

Edited by huge
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1