2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

4 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Going to be very interesting to see whether Bama prioritizes Kiffin, Sark or Lanning. 

Kiffin has the gall to take it. I would be shocked to see Sark or Lanning take it. They're in great spots, why leave to face the pressure of taking over for the greatest coach the sport has known?

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

You guys are looking at this all wrong.  Outside of the intrigue, the "Of course Saban retires before the 'Sips first year in the SEC" post on Texags are going to be deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelicious. 

Within seconds of seeing this news breaking I was already texting my Aggie buddies "That pussy Saban was so scared of Sark joining the SEC he retired". The responses have been glorious. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

About a month ago on the Solid Verbal podcast Bruce Feldman was a guest and discussed "huge, very bad news" for college football that he didn't know when it would even become reportable. He didn't say what it was about but I've been waiting ever since for news about Saban having to retire due to health issues. If my guess is correct it happened a lot faster than Feldman might've thought.

247 DL Hot Board **WARNING TYLER SANTUCCI IS NAMED**

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian will be tasked with filling a major void on his coaching staff, with defensive line coach Bo Davis leaving the Forty Acres for LSU. Davis is one of the premier defensive line coaches in the country, both from a developmental standpoint and as a recruiter.

Davis guided a stout Longhorns defensive line in 2023 that featured PFF's Nos. 1 and 2-ranked interior defenders in the country in T'Vondre Sweat (91.7) and Byron Murphy (91.1). Both will hear their names called early in this spring's NFL draft.

It should be noted that Texas may already have its next defensive line coach on the staff in recent hire Johnny Nansen, who was brought on as co-defensive coordinator and linebackers coach from Arizona this past weekend. Nansen has coached the defensive line under Sarkisian and UT defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski. If that's ultimately the case, then Texas will simply be in the market for a new linebackers coach and we will adjust the hot board accordingly.

For now, here's a breakdown of a few directions Texas could go in its hunt to replace Davis.

Randall Joyner -- Ole Miss defensive line coach 

Joyner has been a name in coaching circles for the last few hiring cycles as a potential superstar on the rise. A former SMU linebacker from Carrollton, Joyner got his break in coaching in 2016 as a graduate assistant at Ohio State where he worked with legendary Buckeyes defensive line coach Larry Johnson.

Joyner coached an SMU defensive line in 2019 during his three seasons with Sonny Dykes (2018-2020) that led the FBS in sack per game (3.92) and ranked in No. 3 in the country in tackles for loss per game (8.5). Lane Kiffin hired Joyner away from the Mustangs in 2021 and he coached Sam Williams to an All-American campaign before he was drafted by the Dallas Cowboys in the second round of the 2022 NFL Draft.

Ole Miss was in the top 30 nationally in tackles for loss per game (6.3) and sacks per game (2.69) in 2023. Regarded as a good recruiter, Joyner could be a potential home run hire for the Longhorns with industry sources believing he’s on the fast track to becoming a head coach. 

Houston Texans assistant defensive line coach Rod Wright. (Photo: 247Sports)

Rod Wright - Houston Texans assistant defensive line coach 

The former consensus All-American for the Longhorns who was a foundational piece for the 2005 national championship team is in the midst of his first NFL season as an assistant defensive line coach with the Houston Texans. Before the Alief Hastings product returned home, Wright spent 13 seasons as a college coach and got started working alongside Davis as a graduate assistant and then as a special defensive assistant over three seasons at his alma mater (2011-13). 

Wright made coaching stops in the state of Texas at Sam Houston and UTSA. Wright developed P.J. Hall into a second-round pick of the Oakland Raiders in 2018 and after he was retained by Jeff Traylor in 2020, Wright was promoted to defensive run game coordinator in 2020 and then to co-defensive coordinator in 2021 before spending the 2022 season in the Power Five as Miami’s defensive ends coach under former Texas defensive coordinator Manny Diaz.

There’s no question that Wright has the goods to return to the Forty Acres and pick up where Davis left off. The big question is now that he’s in the NFL, does he want to return to the college game? 

Toledo defensive line coach Frank Okam. (Photo: Getty)

Frank Okam - Toledo defensive line coach 

Okam who made a quick rise in the coaching ranks after a stellar collegiate career with the Longhorns and five seasons in the NFL. Okam spent a total of four seasons at Rice under David Bailiff (2014-17), two as a graduate assistant and two as the defensive line coach for the Owls before Matt Rhule hired him to join the Baylor staff ahead of the 2018 season. 

Okam’s two seasons in Waco saw the Bers develop one of the best defensive lines in the country with future NFL draft picks James Lynch and Bravvion Roy helping lead Baylor to the Big 12 championship game and a trip to the Sugar Bowl in 2019. When Rhule left Baylor to accept the head coaching job with the Carolina Panthers, he took Okam with him; Okam spent two seasons with the Panthers and one with the Raiders before returning to the college game as the defensive line coach on the Toldeo staff under Jason Candle. 

Tom Herman made a run at hiring Okam ahead of the 2020 season when the former Texas head coach decided to split the defensive line coaching duties. If the Longhorns make a run at him now, the program is on much more stable ground and could make for a nice fit for Okam, who coached former first-round draft pick Derrick Brown to arguably his best professional season in Carolina and tutored Maxx Crosby in a season in which he recorded 12.5 sacks while reviving the career of former Baylor lineman Andrew Billings in Oakland. 

Houston defensive line coach Brian Early. (Photo: Robert Sellers, USA TODAY Sports)

Brian Early - Houston Cougars defensive line coach 

New Houston head coach Willie Fritz retained Cougars defensive line coach Brian Early on his staff. Early has assumed the role since 2019. In his five seasons at UH, Early has developed seven all-conference selections between the AAC and Big 12.

This past season Houston had one of the more impressive defensive line units, led by the Big 12 sacks leader Nelson Ceaser (9.5 sacks) and Texas transfer portal target Jamaree Caldwell (6.5 sacks). The latter ranked No. 19 in the country in run defense, per PFF (82.8). 

Under Early’s tutelage, Houston had a pair of defensive linemen drafted in back-to-back years —Payton Turner, a first-rounder to the Saints in 2021 and Logan Hall, a second-rounder to the Buccaneers in ’22. Other stops for Early include defensive line coach at Arkansas State from 2014-18, defensive quality control at Arkansas in 2013, and a handful of years at Central Arkansas prior to that. Early graduated from Arkansas-Monticello in 1994.

Early knows the landscape of the Lone Star State and has proven he can find and develop talent. Steve Sarkisian covets both. 

Texas Tech defensive line coach Zarnell Fitch. (Photo: Steven Chapman, 247Sports)

Zarnell Fitch - Texas Tech defensive line coach 

Fitch has strong recruiting ties in the DFW area, having played at TCU and coached high schools in the area. Either as a primary or secondary recruiter, Fitch has helped TCU and Tech secure several top talents and has six years experience as a DL coach (TCU 2016-2021) & Tech (2021-current).

Michigan defensive line coach Mike Elston. (Photo: Brice Marich, 247Sports)

Mike Elston - Michigan defensive line coach 

Mike Elston has coached Michigan’s defensive line each of the past two seasons, and if Jim Harbaugh ends up leaving for the NFL, Elston could become a popular free agent.

Before helping Michigan’s standout defensive line anchor a unit that helped the Wolverines win this year’s national title, Elston was a defensive assistant under Brian Kelly at Notre Dame (ironically enough) from 2010-21 primarily as defensive line coach. Elston served as Notre Dame’s linebackers coach in 2015 and 2016.

In 2023, Elston coached Michigan’s defensive line, anchored by tackles senior Kris Jenkins (36 tackles, 4.0 TFLs, 2.0 sacks); sophomore Mason Graham (35 tackles, 7.5 TFLs, 3.0 sacks) and sophomore Kenneth Grant (29 tackles, 5.0 TFLs, 3.5 sacks).

At Notre Dame, Elston coached DT Jerry Tillery, a first-round pick of the Los Angeles Chargers in 2019 who is now with the Las Vegas Raiders and DE Julian Okwara, a third-round pick of Detroit in 2020 who is starting for the Lions.

Former Duke defensive coordinator Tyler Santucci. (Photo: Duke Athletics)

Tyler Santucci - former Duke defensive coordinator 

As the defensive coordinator at Duke under Mike Elko this past season, Santucci oversaw a Blue Devils’ defense that ranked No. 21 in FBS in points allowed (19.8).

Santucci served as the linebackers coach at Texas A&M in 2020 and 2021, when Elko was the Aggies’ defensive coordinator.

In 2022, Santucci was promoted to co-defensive coordinator/linebackers coach at A&M, when Elko left to become the head coach at Duke.

While on staff with the Aggies, Santucci recruited five-star linebacker Anthony Hill Jr., who committed to A&M in July 2022 before de-committing a few months later and signing with Texas. Hill was the Longhorns’ second-leading tackler as a freshman this season.

During Santucci’s time as linebackers coach at Texas A&M, the Aggies defense was No. 3 in FBS in points allowed (15.92), as well as the No. 7 red zone defense (.710) in 2021.

In 2020, A&M had the nation’s No. 3 rush defense (92.0 yards per game allowed) and lead the SEC and ranked among the top 10 nationally in total defense (317.3).

Title/Alt Text
Houston asst. defensive line coach Kenechi Udeze. (Photo: Chris Trevino , 247Sports)

Kenechi Udeze - Houston assistant defensive line coach 

Udeze’s relationship with Sarkisian stems back to his time as a Trojan — followed by Sarkisian giving the then 26-year-old his first job when both were at Washington in 2009.

The two reunited in 2015 when Sarkisian was the head coach at SC and has served in various coaching roles at the pro and collegiate level, currently with Houston and worked with current portal target DT Jamaree Caldwell with the Cougars last year.

Edited by Teryor

- I would be surprised if they pursued Dabo (and laugh if that's whom they end up with).  Doubt they go with Kiffin.  And lulz at Franklin.

- With Sark, hopefully this year demonstrated some things about Texas first hand - coming off an 8-5 season, to still land the #3 class, take the team to the playoffs, keep the QBs he has, the financial and other support here.  

- Unlike in the past, he may decide that in the long term, he has a better situation and ceiling at Texas.

Just now, BornAndRaised said:

I know a former National Champion coach who is recently unemployed and coached under Saban....

Haha, I think CTJ was hinting at some funny Jimbo outcome that was in the works that he couldn’t say much about yet. And he does have Bama contacts….

but there is just no fucking way Jimbo has the juice to get job at this point. That would be hilarious though

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Haha, I think CTJ was hinting at some funny Jimbo outcome that was in the works that he couldn’t say much about yet. And he does have Bama contacts….

but there is just no fucking way Jimbo has the juice to get job at this point. That would be hilarious though

To be clear for anyone following, I'm happy to just come out and say what I was told because it has since become public discussion on Twitter.

Fisher was calling agents and family of aggie players during the bowl break and asking, if he got the job at LSU, if they'd be interested in transferring in. 

"The LSU job is taken, though?"

To which Fisher was indicating that Harbaugh was going to the NFL and that Kelly would be offered the job at UM. Kelly's not exactly meshing in Baton Rouge, although the ATM and Bama blow-ups aren't going to hurt his cause. 

Fisher, clearly with some conversing with Sexton and possibly Woodward, thinks he'd be the guy at LSU and they could get him cheap. 

Now, more recently, Michigan insiders are hammering the Sharone Moore to HC notion, so maybe we'll never get to see any of that deliciousness. 

Regardless, while I do have friends, at least for the moment, at Bama, there wasn't any buzz coming from there about anything until today.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

To be clear for anyone following, I'm happy to just come out and say what I was told because it has since become public discussion on Twitter.

Fisher was calling agents and family of aggie players during the bowl break and asking, if he got the job at LSU, if they'd be interested in transferring in. 

"The LSU job is taken, though?"

To which Fisher was indicating that Harbaugh was going to the NFL and that Kelly would be offered the job at UM. Kelly's not exactly meshing in Baton Rouge, although the ATM and Bama blow-ups aren't going to hurt his cause. 

Fisher, clearly with some conversing with Sexton and possibly Woodward, thinks he'd be the guy at LSU and they could get him cheap. 

Now, more recently, Michigan insiders are hammering the Sharone Moore to HC notion, so maybe we'll never get to see any of that deliciousness. 

Regardless, while I do have friends, at least for the moment, at Bama, there wasn't any buzz coming from there about anything until today.

So how would the Michigan move for Kelly impact Bo moving to LSU... would we be willing to take him back if that happened?

28 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Roach for DL now makes a lot of sense. 

Wouldn't be the worst outcome.  Real good coach and may cpuld get one of the better Bama' DT (or 2) in the spring portal window.  Or can they portal out right now with Saban leaving?

Even more interesting is Kirby Smart's name floating for the Falcon's job.

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Wouldn't be the worst outcome.  Real good coach and may cpuld get one of the better Bama' DT (or 2) in the spring portal window.  Or can they portal out right now with Saban leaving?

Portal is open now, and expires 30 days from today. It's open season on their roster.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

And we could possibly poach one of their stud interior DL. 

Roach should be our top choice if you ask me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Even more interesting is Kirby Smart's name floating for the Falcon's job.

Portal is open now, and expires 30 days from today. It's open season on their roster.

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

And we could possibly poach one of their stud interior DL. 

Roach should be our top choice if you ask me. 

"IF" this scenario played out, what would be the last day to get them in for the spring semester?

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

33 minutes ago, SamMan said:

Saban is the GOAT, but Texas wins if Colt isn’t injured. You’ll never convince me otherwise.

I agree with you. What I'll convince you of is that there's no way Colt, behind THAT OL, while facing THAT DL, and while being our primary running threat, survives the first quarter anyway.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I've been hearing Minter more recently than Moore. Either way though it seems likely they go with an internal option if Harbaugh leaves.

That said...    I wonder if Kelly would be of interest to Oregon were Lanning to take the Bama job.