2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

I was just reading 24/7’s top 10 coordinator hirings this offseason. Now I’m not a huge 24/7 faithful one but I read because the world sucks right now and I use their strengths..the few. Anyway, I came away wondering why I had that really?/wait what?/that makes sense feeling all at once. I get the biggest splash was chip kelly but I don’t get why he still carries around this aura of goatness. Sure, he revolutionized modern football in many ways but there were plenty of other coaches that were doing similar things around that time(sadly the person that comes to mind is the fuck nugget from waco-if Kelly was before him, I apologize). I don’t know, I just think OSU is going to have a top 10 offense next year. They definitely have the talent don’t get me wrong and thatll make him look really good but there were some hires that will turn out better than that one. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I was just reading 24/7’s top 10 coordinator hirings this offseason. Now I’m not a huge 24/7 faithful one but I read because the world sucks right now and I use their strengths..the few. Anyway, I came away wondering why I had that really?/wait what?/that makes sense feeling all at once. I get the biggest splash was chip kelly but I don’t get why he still carries around this aura of goatness. Sure, he revolutionized modern football in many ways but there were plenty of other coaches that were doing similar things around that time(sadly the person that comes to mind is the fuck nugget from waco-if Kelly was before him, I apologize). I don’t know, I just think OSU is going to have a top 10 offense next year. They definitely have the talent don’t get me wrong and thatll make him look really good but there were some hires that will turn out better than that one. 

James Joyce’s long lost stoned relative has joined the chat. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Choice is a witch and he will get his money.  With that said, Sark is heavily involved with skill talent recruitments.  Most of those guys come to Texas to play for Sark and his offense.  It’s refreshing to see Texas land elite skill talent again.  Prior to Sark, it got to a point that we were losing skill talent to the likes of TCU and Baylor.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

39 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Choice is a witch and he will get his money.  With that said, Sark is heavily involved with skill talent recruitments.  Most of those guys come to Texas to play for Sark and his offense.  It’s refreshing to see Texas land elite skill talent again.  Prior to Sark, it got to a point that we were losing skill talent to the likes of TCU and Baylor.  

Not to mention we are landing the majority of our primary OL targets as well.

Main focus on the 25' class needs to be front 7 on defense and continue what we are doing everywhere else.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 2/14/2024 at 9:50 AM, Vertigo said:

He was one of the better recruiters on Strong's staff, but I can't really say he developed our LBs. There is no acceptable reason Malik Jefferson should not have been a first round guy. 

T-Rex arms, maybe? I dunno, that's all I remember about anyone saying about him. 

I dunno if it was Jean Mary, but Malik was a freshman AA, Big XII DPOY, First team All-Big XII (2017), Co-DPOY (2017), and second-team AA (2017), so it would be remiss to say BJ-M didn't have something to do with with his development. But Charlie is a fucking moron, so God only knows what came out of his mouth other than gibberish, which could have also hurt MJ. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

On 2/15/2024 at 10:20 AM, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

100% agree with all of this, especially regarding Chip Kelly. Sure, I guess it's a "splash" hire? But what has he really done? He doesn't recruit, his offense has been passed many times over, and Ohio State is skill position U. They'll have QBs, WRs, and DBs, but their defense is horrid, their oline is hot shit, their defensive line is garbage, even with Larry Johnson (but the dude is 72) at the helm. 

People are stupidly saying this team has NC odds better than Texas and Georgia because they got more skill players in the portal. Ryan Day, other than tickling minors, is not a good coach. Their recruiting under him reminds a ton about Tom Herman. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, victory88 said:

Agree about skill talent, but literally every RB comes for Choice, not Sark. They need to bump him up to the top 3 for his position, imo. 

My apologies if you are in agreement. I just saw you mention it and then remake about Sark and skill talent. Before Sark, it was some bleak, bleak times. God it's amazing to have a coach that knows how to win. I'm so fucking glad I was wrong about him. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Agree about skill talent, but literally every RB comes for Choice, not Sark. They need to bump him up to the top 3 for his position, imo. 

My apologies if you are in agreement. I just saw you mention it and then remake about Sark and skill talent. Before Sark, it was some bleak, bleak times. God it's amazing to have a coach that knows how to win. I'm so fucking glad I was wrong about him. 

What's funny is that I caught a lot of grief for supporting him - and I was even just giving tepid support. I would say something like - he is doing the right stuff with hiring, recruiting... Now he just has to start winning (which is a bit of a trailing indicator). You can imagine the responses - that's like saying...

Anyway, we still have a ways to go. Sark needs to continue growth and not regress. The new hires need to pan out. And we need win. But, the future is looking pretty bright right now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

People are stupidly saying this team has NC odds better than Texas and Georgia because they got more skill players in the portal.

The media consensus that the acquisition of Will Howard and Bo'B made them top 2 headed into next year was bizarre.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

What's funny is that I caught a lot of grief for supporting him - and I was even just giving tepid support. I would say something like - he is doing the right stuff with hiring, recruiting... Now he just has to start winning (which is a bit of a trailing indicator). You can imagine the responses - that's like saying...

Anyway, we still have a ways to go. Sark needs to continue growth and not regress. The new hires need to pan out. And we need win. But, the future is looking pretty bright right now.

Agree with all of this 

28 minutes ago, WBT said:

The media consensus that the acquisition of Will Howard and Bo'B made them top 2 headed into next year was bizarre.

And now somehow a washed up Chip Kelly is magically a "great hire". It's astounding at how stupid sports media is. Truly. The same people that were absolutely convinced Arch Manning would transfer because he wasn't handed the starting job because Quinn came back, and they continue to keep pushing this narrative, even though the Manning's have said they want him to learn, but nope, he has to play immediately. But they also said that he's only good because of his last name, and then he can be great if he starts somewhere else. Stupidity knows no bounds. 

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

Sark’s new contract made the Daily Mail, big time!

Inside Steve Sarkisian's incredible new contract at Texas

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/college-football/article-13097461/Steve-Sarkisian-Texas-contract-jet-Longhorns-10m.html

Is it the one where they compared it to Jimbo's? You know, the guy who only lost 1 game in his third year (COVID), and then plummeted, but then (I dunno if it's this article that's eye rolling), but ThEn He CaMe BaCk DoWn To EaRtH.

The writers are fucking beta cucks. And then at the end of the article I read he slumped into his corner and said...but Jizzbo didn't make the CFP or even win his conference. 

IMG_8981.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

e48fdaf862b052204bcca4ad357dca2d.jpg
e5c6457da2168476569179eaebb3f5dc.jpg
e496a531a3ba5e690daca100bc59571d.jpg

Man, I appreciate you posting this but I am still in the dark about why we hired him. I'm not even down on the hire, I just don't understand it and would like to. Nothing about this guy suggests that he's ready to be a position coach at a top-level program with national championship aspirations. To be clear - those qualities may be there. I don't know for sure that he isn't ready. But I'm still waiting for an explanation of why we hired this guy. 

27 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Man, I appreciate you posting this but I am still in the dark about why we hired him. I'm not even down on the hire, I just don't understand it and would like to. Nothing about this guy suggests that he's ready to be a position coach at a top-level program with national championship aspirations. To be clear - those qualities may be there. I don't know for sure that he isn't ready. But I'm still waiting for an explanation of why we hired this guy. 

the answer seems to be "we swung big and missed on all of our tier 1 targets (henderson, wright, etc) and ended up hiring a guy that we liked, and maybe had as a tier 2 hire who was also get-able"

no one, and i mean NO one has any idea who or what this guy is.

i spent a ton of time looking for articles about him at prior jobs and they are basically zilch - even at places like fan blogs and twitter.

the guy is a total and complete unknown to basically everyone who writes about the program, everyone who covers the program, national CFB writers, NFL dudes, scouting dudes, etc.

it's the position coach Texas has hired with the least written about him in the last decade and change and it's not even close.

he may absolutely kill it - and obviously we all hope he does - but he may also get fired before the spring term ends.

we're 3 weeks in and we still don't know shit about his salary, which would be a huge giveaway on what the team thinks about him. for comparison last year Milwee made $425k base, Gideon made $475k base and Chris Jackson made $550k base. if he makes $425k he would have been the #30 highest paid DL coach in the country

Texas hired Baker somewhere around 2/1 and as of last Wed (2/14) Gerry said he had spent 4 days on the road recruiting.

at this point the only thing that makes sense is they swung and missed on a TON of people due to timing, and ended up with a guy they could actually hire who was a good bit further down their list. his coaching profile doesn't match up with anyone Sark has hired at Texas historically or the process they have followed with his position coach hires.

it's wild as hell we are almost 3 weeks in and the only comments we have about the guy are basically all sourced stuff or Sark saying that everyone they talked to (generic) raved about him

if he worked closely with Pete Jenkins (he didn't) wouldn't you at least be able to get the retired 80 something year old on the record saying *ANYTHING* about the guy?

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

the answer seems to be "we swung big and missed on all of our tier 1 targets (henderson, wright, etc) and ended up hiring a guy that we liked, and maybe had as a tier 2 hire who was also get-able"

no one, and i mean NO one has any idea who or what this guy is.

i spent a ton of time looking for articles about him at prior jobs and they are basically zilch - even at places like fan blogs and twitter.

the guy is a total and complete unknown to basically everyone who writes about the program, everyone who covers the program, national CFB writers, NFL dudes, scouting dudes, etc.

it's the position coach Texas has hired with the least written about him in the last decade and change and it's not even close.

he may absolutely kill it - and obviously we all hope he does - but he may also get fired before the spring term ends.

we're 3 weeks in and we still don't know shit about his salary, which would be a huge giveaway on what the team thinks about him. for comparison last year Milwee made $425k base, Gideon made $475k base and Chris Jackson made $550k base. if he makes $425k he would have been the #30 highest paid DL coach in the country

Texas hired Baker somewhere around 2/1 and as of last Wed (2/14) Gerry said he had spent 4 days on the road recruiting.

at this point the only thing that makes sense is they swung and missed on a TON of people due to timing, and ended up with a guy they could actually hire who was a good bit further down their list. his coaching profile doesn't match up with anyone Sark has hired at Texas historically or the process they have followed with his position coach hires.

it's wild as hell we are almost 3 weeks in and still in the dark

There are NFL folks and  NFL trainers that rave about the guy. That played a big role in Sarkisian feeling comfortable with the move. I am agnostic on the hire. I don't expect DL recruiting to be an issue. If the guy evaluates well and develops well, awesome. If he sucks at either one, then I hope they have a quick hook.

One issue to be aware of is that Bo Davis was an overall odd fit for the staff, given everyone's backgrounds. There wasn't a lot of coherency between Kwiatkowski's approach with using the ends or the DT and the way Davis wanted to use the DTs. There were also some issues with deciding who should and shouldn't be recruited. A concern I have now is how much leeway Baker gets to go get his guys. Is he going to be really involved with that? Or are Sarkisian and Banks just going to tell him who he should be going after? And before some uninformed cynic shows up to fight that notion as something that could never happen, it's happened with this staff. I'm not even saying that's a terrible thing, but it's a potential thing.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There are NFL folks and  NFL trainers that rave about the guy. That played a big role in Sarkisian feeling comfortable with the move. I am agnostic on the hire. I don't expect DL recruiting to be an issue. If the guy evaluates well and develops well, awesome. If he sucks at either one, then I hope they have a quick hook.

One issue to be aware of is that Bo Davis was an overall odd fit for the staff, given everyone's backgrounds. There wasn't a lot of coherency between Kwiatkowski's approach with using the ends or the DT and the way Davis wanted to use the DTs. There were also some issues with deciding who should and shouldn't be recruited. A concern I have now is how much leeway Baker gets to go get his guys. Is he going to be really involved with that? Or are Sarkisian and Banks just going to tell him who he should be going after? And before some uninformed cynic shows up to fight that notion as something that could never happen, it's happened with this staff. I'm not even saying that's a terrible thing, but it's a potential thing.

i realize my book written above may make it seem like i really care a ton about it and hate the hire - that's not the case.

in general i am with you. he can absolutely be a plus hire without having to turn into tashard choice.

i'm glad NFL folks and trainers rave about the guy but how many of them are willing to put their names on it? that's what i hate about the whole thing. it's wild as hell we are almost 3 weeks in and we don't have some rando quote from the actual DL coach he worked under last year, or anyone on that staff, using their own name to say he is a hard worker and rising star.

either way - i have faith that if he can't cut it a change will be made at the position and that's all i honestly really care about. i hope he turns into a monster at developing talent, leave Texas in 3 years to go be an actual DC somewhere and is a head coach somewhere in 5 years.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This part doesn't surprise me at all, in fact I would more-or-less suspect that it was already happening, at least on the offense's side of the ball. With Nansen and PK both being DC-caliber coaches and both having experience coaching the DL / front 7, I actually hope that they are giving Baker some kind of direction. Maybe Baker is the strong back / high energy guy that PK and Nansen use to put in the legwork while they do the thinking? I'm assuming that Baker is at least good at development, even if he is inexperienced as a high-level recruiter and implementer of scheme. I'm sure I'm not phrasing this very well, but I'm a little more at peace with us hiring an inexperienced DL coach because the guys above him (PK and Nansen) are veterans and can keep him straight. 

52 minutes ago, NoName said:

This would be amazing. Not that I want it to happen, of course, but it would be crazy to watch. 

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

There was a dead period that began February 5th.

So there were Four Whole Days he could have been on the road recruiting and he only spent four of them recruiting.

Sounds like he has some time management issues.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 6

19 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

There's enough value in free deliveries for me to keep Prime. Plus there's the occasional great series like The Boys.

My main source of irritation with prime is the fact that free 2nd day delivery was promised when prime debuted. Now not only is 2nd day delivery rare, almost every order is delivered late.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

My main source of irritation with prime is the fact that free 2nd day delivery was promised when prime debuted. Now not only is 2nd day delivery rare, almost every order is delivered late.

I get the vast majority of my orders the next day. Maybe you live in a tough area for Amazon?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

I thought I had missed a few posts and we were complaining about Deion. 

• Haha 1

There's enough value in free deliveries for me to keep Prime. Plus there's the occasional great series like The Boys.
For whatever reason I missed the Vikings when it first came out, probably because too many people were talking about how great it is. I'm now towards the end of season 3 and thoroughly hooked.

10 minutes ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

For whatever reason I missed the Vikings when it first came out, probably because too many people were talking about how great it is. I'm now towards the end of season 3 and thoroughly hooked.

It gets worse