Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

Looking at the schedule, why isn’t the race in Singapore this week? It would make way more sense geograpgically to go to AUS -> SIN -> JPN -> CHN

Then you could swap MIA with SIN so the US races would also back to back.

/wonder

That crap on the first lap was cruddy. Danny Ric and the rest of them back there have to be better. It’s also crazy to watch people drive around Hamilton and there is nothing he can do about it. Also, like the one announcer said, if they took the cameras off the RedBulls the racing would be crazy good.

i’d really like to see McLaren have a breakthrough victory. I don’t even care which driver. If Sainz keeps doing this well it will be very interesting to see where he lands. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Looking at the schedule, why isn’t the race in Singapore this week? It would make way more sense geograpgically to go to AUS -> SIN -> JPN -> CHN

Then you could swap MIA with SIN so the US races would also back to back.

/wonder

At least partly because the US race promoters don't want the US races to be back to back.

6 hours ago, pops said:

Even when vettel and Lewis were doing their thing,  it wasn't like this. This is just dumb.  

Some folks better start building better cars then. 

1 hour ago, wood said:

At least partly because the US race promoters don't want the US races to be back to back.

Some folks better start building better cars then. 

Some? Nothing against RB, but the race drama is gone. They're done a great job matching car to driver, making the car really quick, and not giving away any secrets. 

I remember when Max was screaming for more power every race. They figured it out.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/7/2024 at 1:01 AM, elfenix said:

Cojones on Checo going inside Ham at 130R 

Yep. Passing at 130R and Spoon, battles from P3 -17, different strategies. That was a fun race.* I've only driven it on my Xbox, but Suzuka is such a badass track.

*Obligatory "other than Max driving off into the distance unchallenged."

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

100%. Different tire strategy races were the most entertaining aspect last season too, they just rarely happen. 

i wish they did more of the jumping compounds stuff, instead of just using what's basically 2 of the same tires and a situation where 1 is pretty much better than the others for the track.

FMNVj6GX0A44KA6?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, NoName said:

i wish they did more of the jumping compounds stuff, instead of just using what's basically 2 of the same tires and a situation where 1 is pretty much better than the others for the track.

FMNVj6GX0A44KA6?format=jpg&name=900x900

Yep. Skip compounds, mix it up from year to year at each circuit so they have no data, etc, etc. There's so much they could do but won't. It's ... frustrating.

• Hook 'Em 2

It’d be interesting to see (perhaps test in a sprint, of course one set wouldn’t last in a full race) the option to forgo the mandatory compound change in exchange for a guaranteed 1 place drop after the checkered flag.
Would max still pit if he couldn’t get more than 30 seconds ahead of current p2 driver? Would backfield markers just say fuck it and fire their pit crews?

4 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Andretti is confident enough that this is going to happen that he's opened up shop in the UK and entering the minors.

it's a great move. i hope they sign some talented dudes ASAP

Yep. I've been thinking since they were rejected that they're gonna show up and force Liberty to negotiate a deal. I really think they're going to continue operating in good faith and force FOM's hand.

Meanwhile, rumors that Alpine is for sale. Surprised it took this long. I've thought for a long time that Renault/Alpine have seemed like they were looking for an exit.

In related news, this just in:

Potential Andretti F1 opening emerges after shock Helmut Marko reveal

Red Bull senior advisor Helmut Marko has said many potential buyers are swirling around their second team RB with a sale possible, which re-ignites hope of Andretti joining the Formula 1 grid.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/potential-andretti-f1-opening-helmut-marko-rb-sale

What if they started a relegation style format like soccer has (other than US soccer)? Let Andretti enter there, make it to the top 3, replace Cash App, Haas, or Alpine. Enough room for 20 teams across two levels.

That style would make me care a whole lot more about the back markers. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, dieucla98 said:

What if they started a relegation style format like soccer has (other than US soccer)? Let Andretti enter there, make it to the top 3, replace Cash App, Haas, or Alpine. Enough room for 20 teams across two levels.

This would be epic as fuckkkkk

46 minutes ago, wood said:

I'd be happy if they'd just increase the field to 11-13 teams. 

Why? So we have more teams competing for last? Maybe they're worthy competition but make them prove it first and open up the number of teams to 20. Also, make me care about last. 

Red Bull actually followed this exact formula in the Bundesliga. Enter a team in the dregs of German futbol, promote each year for ~4 years in a row and then compete at the highest level against the likes of Bayern Munich. That's earning your stripes. 

Add more scoring places than 10 positions or award points all the way to 19th. Right now the top 5 teams dominate 95% of all points. A wreck or other DNF is often the only way to create an opportunity for the other 5 teams to score. 

The midfield battle becomes instantly more interesting if every position means something.  

14 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

would never work/happen. no team or ownership group would ever agree to put themselves at risk to lose that much money.

like wood said, better to expand # of teams because that is way more realistic than promotion/relegation

anyone have an example of a sports league from the last 50 years that didn't start off as pro/releg that then flipped?

12 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Why? So we have more teams competing for last? Maybe they're worthy competition but make them prove it first and open up the number of teams to 20. Also, make me care about last. 

Red Bull actually followed this exact formula in the Bundesliga. Enter a team in the dregs of German futbol, promote each year for ~4 years in a row and then compete at the highest level against the likes of Bayern Munich. That's earning your stripes. 

soccer already had that. F1 does not.

it devalues the teams if they can be relegated and someone bought in before that was the case. nobody is ever going to agree to de-value their team (hence the fight not to add a 11th team)

soccer is way different than f1

I'm aware the idea has no chance because it's such a monumental change. I'm not that dumb. Just making for a fun discussion. I also am not as adamant about adding another team as some of you. If it ends up being another RB, Merc, or Ferrari then great. But if it ends up being another Haas, then that degrades the sport IMO. And who really knows which way it falls. 

The rules for F1 and F1a would be the same in my dream (just like Serie A and Serie B)- it's not F1 and F2 as it stands today.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

No. So they'd have more teams actually trying to compete. I mean, a 20 team relegation format sounds great, but it's never gonna happen when Andretti fucking Cadillac can't even gain acceptance as an 11th team. 

And what NoName said better than I was gonna be able to say it.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, NoName said:

Nando (and can't blame him):

Dax Shepard Money GIF

Nice. Not surprised. Wrapped up at least through 2026 and has committed to a role with the team after he stops racing. This is where I've been thinking he'd end up. There's not much allure for him at Merc at the moment, and I don't think a RBR seat will open up. Add in the team culture and the way the team and Alonso get along, all the infrastructure and engineering talent investment Stroll's been making, plus Honda coming onboard (even though a lot of people said Honda would force Alonso out) and there's a lot of potential there.

'He'll never drive for Renault again after 2006! ---> drives for Renault again.

'He'll never drive  for Ferrari!' after his comments during 2006 ---> drives for Ferrari

'He'll never drive for Ron Dennis or McLaren again!' ---> drives for Ron Dennis and McLaren again.

'He'll never drive for Renault again!' after 2009 ---> drives for Renault again in an Alpine.

'There's no way he can stay quick at his age!' ---> stays very quick as he gets older.

'He'll never drive a Mercedes-powered car again!' ---> drives a Mercedes-powered car again.

'He'll never drive a Honda-powered car again!' ---> extends to drive a Honda-powered car again.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wood said:

Nice. Not surprised. Wrapped up at least through 2026 and has committed to a role with the team after he stops racing. This is where I've been thinking he'd end up. There's not much allure for him at Merc at the moment, and I don't think a RBR seat will open up. Add in the team culture and the way the team and Alonso get along, all the infrastructure and engineering talent investment Stroll's been making, plus Honda coming onboard (even though a lot of people said Honda would force Alonso out) and there's a lot of potential there.

'He can never drive for McLaren again!' ---> drives for McLaren again.

'He can never drive a Mercedes-powered car again!' ---> drives a Mercedes-powered car again.

'He can never drive a Honda-powered car again!' ---> extends to drive a Honda-powered car again.

I wanted to see him at RB so bad.  Would probably be detrimental to their team, but would have been fun as hell to watch!

7 hours ago, Stringer said:

This could be a dumb question, but why do they require at least one tire change? That seems like it could be an interesting strategy wrinkle at certain tracks.

If they didn't nobody would stop.