2024 ACL Festival

texasdago

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Sturgill and Caamp would probably be enough to get me down there.

Yea. I was slated to see him for the second time in march 2020 and am still bitter about it being cancelled. That'd be a really fun ACL show.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/2/2024 at 12:28 PM, Chad Fuck said:

So on point. People bitch about the bands, but to stand in a field with friends, beer in hand, and watch the girls walking by dressed up for each other - all set to a soundtrack of whichever stage you’re choosing - may be the closest thing to bliss on this planet. I wish I had been taking better fashion notes since the beginning. But it is probably my second favorite part of ACL.

giphy.gif

Actually - I think the closest thing to bliss at ACL is and will always be... an air conditioned bathroom...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, horn4life said:

Actually - I think the closest thing to bliss at ACL is and will always be... an air conditioned bathroom...

I think they're overrated.  I do my bidness before I go.  Urinals only for this bad boy.  

Old man yells at clouds.  Some damn solid mid-liners in there, but as per usual---80%+ are complete unknowns to me.  Always fun to discover new bands in real time in real live settings with real live under-butt.  

But come the fuck on, Blink-182 as a night main-stage closer?  Seriously?  C'mon.  Some of those other bands headlining aren't my cup of tea but I know they/she are red hot right now.  Blink-182?  They couldn't book a Van's commercial 10 years ago and they're a Saturday closer for ACL now?  Did I miss a fucking meeting?  

Chris, Sturgill, Leon, and Norah for the motherfucking win though.  

And Grand Funk Railroad?  There's a 80% chance I walk around hiding my gray hair asking "Have any of you fellow young people possess any marijuana with which I can partake?"  

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

Old man yells at clouds.  Some damn solid mid-liners in there, but as per usual---80%+ are complete unknowns to me.  Always fun to discover new bands in real time in real live settings with real live under-butt.  

But come the fuck on, Blink-182 as a night main-stage closer?  Seriously?  C'mon.  Some of those other bands headlining aren't my cup of tea but I know they/she are red hot right now.  Blink-182?  They couldn't book a Van's commercial 10 years ago and they're a Saturday closer for ACL now?  Did I miss a fucking meeting?  

Chris, Sturgill, Leon, and Norah for the motherfucking win though.  

And Grand Funk Railroad?  There's a 80% chance I walk around hiding my gray hair asking "Have any of you fellow young people possess any marijuana with which I can partake?"  

Blink sold out like everywhere last year. It's gonna be a great show.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

Blink sold out like everywhere last year. It's gonna be a great show.

Carrot Top sells out Branson every year.  Doesn't make it right. 

I guess at your age, you live long enough to see the lamest of bands make it big again.  

don't rest on David Shaw or Jungle.  Both great live and in person.  

Body can only handle two days so question is which weekend to attend, and still make OU game?  

7 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The only bands on that list of dogs I would pay to see are Orville Peck, Khruangbin, and Hermanos Gutiérrez.

Excited for Khruangbin, but fear they’ll be with/backup Leon Bridges and have limited time for their own music. 

Well, I said I'd need something to push me into going beyond Sturgill & Caamp.  I'm not sure Stapleton and Norah get it done for me.  I've never seen any of the four, so maybe, depending on how they're spread out over the weekend(s).

38 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The only bands on that list of dogs I would pay to see are Orville Peck, Khruangbin, and Hermanos Gutiérrez.

I see all kinds of great bands up and down the lineup.  If you like Khruangbin, check out Glass Beams and BALTHVS while there.  

Its going to be a kickass festival because I can find gold all over that lineup.

BTW, Mannequin Pussy should be great!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MrBig said:

Foster the People is still riding the success of “Pumped Up Kicks” which was released nearly 15 years ago.

Something tells me that neither Dan Patrick nor DPS personnel will be attending that set.  

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

Yea. I was slated to see him for the second time in march 2020 and am still bitter about it being cancelled. That'd be a really fun ACL show.

Him and Childers at the Erwin Center getting cancelled in ~April 2020 was definitely my biggest concert casualty from covid

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

IMG_2972.thumb.jpeg.617494c68c9997b4ee1424535942f743.jpeg
not great but I’ll go out there for Sturgill and hope Vince Staples and a couple others are the same day. 

This is 49-year-old me after looking at most of the names on the ACL lineup:

spacer.png

But, still in for revealing female attire, Asleep at the Wheel, and day-drinking in my city.

• Hook 'Em 2

Best thing I ever did a few years ago is open my mind to lots of new music and bands.  I never run out of good music to listen depending on my mood. 

Now, my wallet... that's another story.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Other than a handful of known musical quantities and underbutt, best part of ACL is discovering somebody new.  Best part of this thread each year is reading one another's posts about how we happened upon a  new band (new to us, anyways) and finding out something about music with whom we fell in love with all over again.  

But all that to say, seeing Bob Schneider that far down and how he's pushing 60 and I'm pushing 50 and partying with his groove line horns 15 years ago.  Holy fucking shit, where did the time go?  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Other than a handful of known musical quantities and underbutt, best part of ACL is discovering somebody new.  Best part of this thread each year is reading one another's posts about how we happened upon a  new band (new to us, anyways) and finding out something about music with whom we fell in love with all over again.  

But all that to say, seeing Bob Schneider that far down and how he's pushing 60 and I'm pushing 50 and partying with his groove line horns 15 years ago.  Holy fucking shit, where did the time go?  

At least the upside with Bob Schneider is seeing him around here is relatively easy.  I was pissed to see DAIISTAR and Being Dead on weekend two but, honestly, I can catch them relatively easily in Austin.  Chances of catching a relatively obscure band like Glass Beams from Melbourne are relatively slim and none.  I also like seeing bands that I might not consider seeing live but, you know, since I'm there... and when you dig, you find someone like this (new to me)

Or you hear this and say, "oh yeah, I know that song..."

22 hours ago, texasdago said:

I see all kinds of great bands up and down the lineup.  If you like Khruangbin, check out Glass Beams and BALTHVS while there.  

Its going to be a kickass festival because I can find gold all over that lineup.

BTW, Mannequin Pussy should be great!

There's definitely gold there. I'm actually stoked to go this year. Sturgill has been on my bucket list, so that is an absolute must, but Khruangbin & Leon Bridges are also absolute musts. There's no way they don't do a handful of their joint songs. I've been wanting Jungle to come around this way for about a year now, they're finally in Texas.

I've never seen Stapleton, so I'm in for that. I'd see Blink too. My inner adolescent will be excited to see Jeezy. Hermanos Gutierrez. Remi Wolf. Plenty to hear. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Been itching to see Pretty Lights again for like a decade.  Better be at night.  Yeah he’s one step below Girl Talk for ‘push play and turn knobs’ but I always enjoy an upbeat, electronica-ish jam fast when it’s cooler and I need a second wind. 

I never knew much of Sturgill several years ago, but I stumbled on his late afternoon show the first time he played ACL and it turned out to be a great find.  

I'm going to see Mannequin Pussy just to tell my kids I saw a band called Mannequin Pussy.  Maybe I'll come back with a tshirt.

59 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Been itching to see Pretty Lights again for like a decade.  Better be at night.  Yeah he’s one step below Girl Talk for ‘push play and turn knobs’ but I always enjoy an upbeat, electronica-ish jam fast when it’s cooler and I need a second wind. 

Has to be - maybe they'll be the weekend closer like Odesza was last year.  Should be a blast.

On 5/7/2024 at 2:17 PM, YGIFS said:

Wait until you no longer care about anyone playing at ACL and wonder where the time went. 

Made a playlist of the most popular song by every band if you want to check it out.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3bc3sMGSXdMbpX0aGWAk73?si=6655e148bcff4ed8

Aside from the "known" acts which I suppose will be different for everyone, these are the ones that stood out to me while making the list...IE in the time it took me to type in the next band.  

Royel Otis

The Beaches

Eyedress

Glass Beams

Lola Young

IDKHOW

Goldie Boutilier

Brittany Davis

Emily Nenni

The Droptines

Being Dead

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, elguapo said:

I don’t understand how or why we as a society have deemed that a person on stage pushing play on  laptop is an acceptable live music act

Discovered your twitter handle.

16 hours ago, texasdago said:

Super original and entertaining

i don't know about super original (these seem to wear their influences on their sleeves), but i will always tip my cap to catchy songcraft.

18 minutes ago, yoladu said:

i don't know about super original (these seem to wear their influences on their sleeves), but i will always tip my cap to catchy songcraft.

Maybe I just don't know of anyone else in Austin playing some of their quirkier songs.  You definitely hear a 60s vibe/influence, though.  And, oddly enough, there's something about them that remotely reminds of me something Dead Milkmen-ish.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2024 at 2:45 PM, texasdago said:

At least the upside with Bob Schneider is seeing him around here is relatively easy.  I was pissed to see DAIISTAR and Being Dead on weekend two but, honestly, I can catch them relatively easily in Austin.  Chances of catching a relatively obscure band like Glass Beams from Melbourne are relatively slim and none.  I also like seeing bands that I might not consider seeing live but, you know, since I'm there... and when you dig, you find someone like this (new to me)

Or you hear this and say, "oh yeah, I know that song..."

I loved Pawpaw Rod's "Hit Em Where It Hurts" and then I kind of lost track of him.

On 5/8/2024 at 10:49 AM, texasdago said:

Has to be - maybe they'll be the weekend closer like Odesza was last year.  Should be a blast.

My guess would be Friday night, opposite of a big name…the ones that shutdown 30m before the closer.  At least I hope so, and that they don’t jam him into one of the smaller side stages at 4p like Flight Facilities was.