Surly Horns State of Things End 2023

immamac

18 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

We have the #1 RTF program in the country:

https://www.collegeraptor.com/Majors/Details/9.0701/Level/Bachelors-degree/State/All/Radio-and-Television/

How about you ask quietly...   and let the Daily Texas editorial staff we are accepting applications for interns.

Here's the app form:

Horn RTF students - what do you think the surl should do to make the site relevant to the wider world?

Then pick 5 submissions and hire ye some interns.  Give them some budget and turn them loose.

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

I would assume students would be interested in this. Especially students who cover sports for The Daily Texan. 

15 minutes ago, immamac said:

Would love to do this. I’d even go in person to meet with counselors etc. the problem is that the school doesn’t seem to want to help. I tried the last 2 years and it fell flat and on deaf ears and I’m not gonna continually chase administrative people to tell kids about the opportunity. 

The other way is to set up a booth on campus and let people know but I’m now an “old” so it just really comes off as creepy and not genuine IMHO. 

Yeah, as an administrator in higher ed, you’re going to have a bit of a problem with a college signing off on this. There are parts of this website that that a college or university wouldn’t want to endorse by promoting an internship opportunity. You *might* have better luck just talking to a department chair or faculty member (especially a PT member) who can spread it around by word of mouth instead of going through a dean. The other thought is to bypass UT and reach out to the journalism department at ACC. Community college students would love an internship to put on their resume when applying to 4-year institutions. But you do have to be prepared for folks to say “no” because of the nature of this website. It’s possible, though, that you can get sign off depending on how you frame the ad.

My other suggestion would be reaching out to the Austin Chronicle to see if they have any interns who would like additional opportunities. The alternative newspaper could be a good place to start? That type of media is similar to this website. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I’m an old, so I still read. The thing is, though, the idiocy-to-insight level is so fucking high across Reddit or X or wherever, that I don’t really have the motivation to try to sort the wheat from the chaff in those places, even for Texas football (one of the very damned few things that I haven’t burned out on in my life), much less from a boundless cesspool like TikTok. Here, the pool is more manageable and it doesn’t take long to grasp who’s a dumbfuck and who’s worth reading, even if I’m not in lockstep with his views. 

I’m here for the recruiting and football, but some of the other boards — Help, Hobbies — are worth some time. CR would be interesting but I’d get negged into Bolivia because it very much appears that even honest disagreement on principles is largely unwelcome.

we need RTF interns to make SurlyTok and InstaSurl crap from the content and takes that occur here naturally, then link to here when they post (host?) it here

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, immamac said:

Would love to do this. I’d even go in person to meet with counselors etc. the problem is that the school doesn’t seem to want to help. I tried the last 2 years and it fell flat and on deaf ears and I’m not gonna continually chase administrative people to tell kids about the opportunity. 

The other way is to set up a booth on campus and let people know but I’m now an “old” so it just really comes off as creepy and not genuine IMHO. 

Why would go officially top down on this one?  Counselors?  Admin people?

If I try to look at this opp from their perspective, this is a chance to collaborate with high-end content creators in RTF (their friends?) they don't get to work with because the school is only going to let them push the envelope only so much.

It's gueriller.

I know what I would do with this list, but i'm not down there.   This should be in person.   And the idea that they would ID you as an old is comical, given your...  grooming.

https://thedailytexan.com/contact/

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

Yeah, as an administrator in higher ed, you’re going to have a bit of a problem with a college signing off on this. There are parts of this website that that a college or university wouldn’t want to endorse by promoting an internship opportunity. You *might* have better luck just talking to a department chair or faculty member (especially a PT member) who can spread it around by word of mouth instead of going through a dean. The other thought is to bypass UT and reach out to the journalism department at ACC. Community college students would love an internship to put on their resume when applying to 4-year institutions. But you do have to be prepared for folks to say “no” because of the nature of this website. It’s possible, though, that you can get sign off depending on how you frame the ad.

My other suggestion would be reaching out to the Austin Chronicle to see if they have any interns who would like additional opportunities. The alternative newspaper could be a good place to start? That type of media is similar to this website.

prime directive: go off grid from the start - screw "approval"

I’d consolidate boards down. Too many various categories and sub categories. 

For instance: Futbol and UT sports should just be part of the other sports and not separated  

movies tv music should be one

hobbies having 3 subcategories that don’t have much traffic would be better if it was just under hobbies

6th street journal and daily Texans combined 

maybe even combine that with lulz as a hobbies and memes type category  

I know we all enjoy a fatwa or two but I think that is something that could be comity negative for new people. Sometimes people come to a new place trying to be edgy etc whatever initially but after the high wears off they could potentially end up being consistent posters. 

an example is when an opponents fan comes here talking shit and just gets negged to death. That doesn’t provide engagement or anything to the board. 

personally I don’t  even view half the board because there are so many categories 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 6

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You guys are right the 10 threads that are active within the last week definitely need their own category. 

What problem does your solution fix? Just fewer views and replies as shit gets pushed down the board.

Edited by Deej

1 minute ago, Deej said:

What problem does your solution fix? Fewer views and replies as shit gets pushed down the board?

Anyone who pays any attention to BO&W on anything gets what they deserve.

Guy is lucky that Helobious exists or he may be the wost poster with the worst opinions on this entire website.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Prepare your anus 1

9 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

The recruiting board here is just the best. I enjoy catching up on those threads reading 10 pages at a time. It's just good content, reading the stories about recruitments and personal anecdotes from people who interact with coaches/recruits/recruiting insiders.

Agree but honestly sometimes they are just so full of random references to an off topic post that I end up not reading them for weeks because I never have time to catch up.

I’d wish we had a setting where you could filter a thread like a recruiting or game thread to just see top posts of the day (either mod designated or by reactions). I know something like this was attempted (re: out of date recommended post in the realignment thread) but it just never really added any value nor did it really help spur any more interactions.

Just now, TKthunder2 said:

Agree but honestly sometimes they are just so full of random references to an off topic post that I end up not reading them for weeks because I never have time to catch up.

I’d wish we had a setting where you could filter a thread like a recruiting or game thread to just see top posts of the day (either mod designated or by reactions). I know something like this was attempted (re: out of date recommended post in the realignment thread) but it just never really added any value nor did it really help spur any more interactions.

I wonder if there is a way to filter to only posts that got X number of total reactions. I think there are third party reddit tools like RES that let you do this but no clue how they could do something like that here.

Guessing it would need to be something manually done and I have no clue what's possible on the back end.

If you need people to flag what's actually news and actually relevant to recruiting only to make a "recruiting thread update without the bullshit" work I'd volunteer to help...even though I've been known to contribute to said bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

I wonder if there is a way to filter to only posts that got X number of total reactions. I think there are third party reddit tools like RES that let you do this but no clue how they could do something like that here.

Guessing it would need to be something manually done and I have no clue what's possible on the back end.

If you need people to flag what's actually news and actually relevant to recruiting only to make a "recruiting thread update without the bullshit" work I'd volunteer to help...even though I've been known to contribute to said bullshit.

Don’t get me wrong I enjoy the humorous bullshit when I’m all caught up. But when you get 10 pages behind it can be a beating to read only to find that there was few if any actual recruiting news in said pages. It those times it be great if there was a way to turn on a filter and catch up.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, NoName said:

If I fall a few pages behind on a topic I'm trying to follow, that's how I catch up...scroll through the thread and read what popular or has 5+ likes or whatever. An automated filter option would be awesome.

• Hook 'Em 2

I had posted this in Board Discussion before, but didn’t get any responses so I’ll try here.

I think the Travel/Food forum has a potential to be replaced with a blog format and probably has the most original content. The Houston/San Antonio/Dallas/Austin food threads have a shit ton of content/suggestions, but nobody is re-reading the first 50 pages. They’re checking maybe the last 3. Having a way to go through that forum, use the necessary technology to count up the different amount of suggestions and making a top 10 list of places in each locale to check out with related user’s posts as a dropdown underneath would be much more user friendly. 

It would have a summary write up for the city/country visited and any user submitted content like photos or videos. Then it would break down into a list of most mentioned places underneath where the original content ends. The top 5-10 listed places/activities/restaurants would have highlighted submissions from our community. The list would change as more places are mentioned.

If you could take the number of impressions/interactions and convince the business owners of highly regarded places for ads/deals to those places that may be an avenue. Going into a bbq place and mentioning muledick for 10% off would be fun.

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5

36 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

I had posted this in Board Discussion before, but didn’t get any responses so I’ll try here.

I think the Travel/Food forum has a potential to be replaced with a blog format and probably has the most original content. The Houston/San Antonio/Dallas/Austin food threads have a shit ton of content/suggestions, but nobody is re-reading the first 50 pages. They’re checking maybe the last 3. Having a way to go through that forum, use the necessary technology to count up the different amount of suggestions and making a top 10 list of places in each locale to check out with related user’s posts as a dropdown underneath would be much more user friendly. 

It would have a summary write up for the city/country visited and any user submitted content like photos or videos. Then it would break down into a list of most mentioned places underneath where the original content ends. The top 5-10 listed places/activities/restaurants would have highlighted submissions from our community. The list would change as more places are mentioned.

If you could take the number of impressions/interactions and convince the business owners of highly regarded places for ads/deals to those places that may be an avenue. Going into a bbq place and mentioning muledick for 10% off would be fun.

I was actually thinking about this today. This is brilliant and very easily doable without really changing anything about the board or doing any development. 

Just now, Dbeasy said:

For the love of god please no ads. 

Yeah - there's no way I'm doing ads for legacy members or treefiddy. If there was a way that wasn't overly manual to do a group with people who have 100 posts within the last year that would get you excluded from ads too. My thing is if you are a pure lurker with no account you see ads, but it shouldn't make the site unusable (that happened this past year and was fixed recently). I've told people this before, but if we had just 8 $750/mo sponsors we'd add even more NIL programs and probably have the Kill Squad done. 

The site isn't in danger or running at a loss in a fiscal year that is calendar aligned - if it's August to August aligned  there isn't a shortfall. The danger is that if Surly shows a loss for more than 1 year it becomes a "hobby" instead of a "business" from the IRS perspective. If anything we just cut back Burnt Ends and the tailgates and call it a day. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

The recruiting board here is just the best. I enjoy catching up on those threads reading 10 pages at a time. It's just good content, reading the stories about recruitments and personal anecdotes from people who interact with coaches/recruits/recruiting insiders.

I actually hate the recruiting board, I think the format is probably a turn off to the younger crowd, and im not young. Maybe I’m doing something wrong with how im trying to find the content, but I don’t want to read 10 pages of peoples bullshit, and when we get a new commit, every fucking dumbass posts gifs - that are not original - that they post every time. It’s a pos rep circle jerk posting pics everyone has seen. Can’t actually find shit about what’s going on from the perspective of someone that doesn’t live/breathe recruiting but does like to hear about it. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

pictures around my house again

Yes. Dear God yes. I know it beats you down, but there's a reason why you get a massive pile of rep every time you post something like the egg or fight the power kitty.

Some chick on Twitter posts her dad's dad HH Friday discussion list. It gets thousands of views. Utes like to laugh at olds. We should lead with even more dad jokes.

Edit:

12.2k likes

Edit2

I mean what's wrong with a weekly best of? 2 min of highlights or shorter blurbs.

AI robo voice reading some of our Message Board Genius. 

It could be travel too. Ode to an Allsups. Why Hamms is still good.

Random ass shit that brings the funny.

Or you can pick on aggy. The rest of the world is becoming aware of that bunch of goobers. We have stories. 

It's not just SEC shorts. Matt Mitchell with SEC Roll Call is better imo. 

A robo voice reading Tell Me About A&M complete with Thujone masterpieces? 

I'd look forward to that shit every week. This week in aggy.

Oh hell yeah 

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/24/2023 at 11:08 AM, Dbeasy said:

My daughter is a teacher and said that kids cannot watch movies anymore. It won’t hold their attention span. They can’t stick to anything for two hours.  

I don't think it's just kids either. I'm 25 and when I was in hs and college I used to be able to watch movies and tv shows for hours. I tried to watch multiple movies and tv shows over the holidays. I could not find a single one that held my attention span for more than 20 minutes. What's wild these days is the only things that hold my attention is my job, Texas Football, and playing competitive sports like tennis.

Edited by Tex48
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Deej said:

What problem does your solution fix? Just fewer views and replies as shit gets pushed down the board.

12 hours ago, NoName said:

Anyone who pays any attention to BO&W on anything gets what they deserve.

Guy is lucky that Helobious exists or he may be the wost poster with the worst opinions on this entire website.

There are nearly 30 forums and sub-forums on this site alone. If you are a new member coming to the website it's overwhelming, ESPECIALLY if you are trying to read a younger audience. Simplicity is best when trying to achieve that and get eyes on the site and a younger demographic. Also with a more consolidated look you are more likely to get engagement on topics as people are scrolling the thread. That simplicity carries over to the mobile version which should be the priority in terms of how the site flows because majority or younger generations are viewing from those devices and not a laptop or pc.

Forum: Other Sports - 14 post in december
UT Sports Subform -  11 threads with post in December
Futbol - 18 Threads with post in december

Why does Other sports need 3 dedicated forums when ALL of those active post would be on page one?  It is creating unnecessary extra clicking and browsing to see all the same "Other Sports" content.

Gambling should be merged into another category as well as it has only 18.2k post total and 4 active post in December, period. Perhaps "Hobbies" would be the best merger for gambling. 

Forum: Hobbies
Video Games - 10 post in December
Books - 7 post in December
Nerdz - 2 post in December

Music is entertainment just as Movies and TV are so it should be merged to streamline discussion about all of those topics without having another forum to visit. 

Just look at the difference. in post on the forum. While music is a little more active it doesn't even have 100k total post. All the popular music threads would still be page one and it would save people having to go to two separate forums to find out about entertainment type stuff.

image.thumb.png.fd4e447956c49838cd8999a44bf2aa55.png

Looking at the totality of the board 

image.thumb.png.7b1fc2b6efa390c6a44af36ef251951b.png

image.thumb.png.99d1518b23fe6421bb8965f9016adc0c.png

image.thumb.png.8ff9137ebd4fbbdcba8764df77d6ff74.png

It's all about streamlining and making the browsing of the forum as simple as possible for new users. But reality is there is a TON of gatekeeping that also happens on here. Anyone that ask a simple question or starts a thread asking a questions immediately gets shit on and told to go read the 200+ page thread or to stfu you're an idiot blah blah blah.  Couple the gatekeeping with the "META-Threads" is a hinderance. There are times some great stories are out there that don't get enough talk because posters are throwing the news stories into the HUGE meta threads.

Also to reiterate the FATWA of a potential new user just because the board thinks they're dumb or whatever is a hinderance to growth. Yeah they may be annoying and shit initially but that doesn't mean they'll stay that way and the initial post here are exactly what they are, shock value. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

I actually hate the recruiting board, I think the format is probably a turn off to the younger crowd, and im not young. Maybe I’m doing something wrong with how im trying to find the content, but I don’t want to read 10 pages of peoples bullshit, and when we get a new commit, every fucking dumbass posts gifs - that are not original - that they post every time. It’s a pos rep circle jerk posting pics everyone has seen. Can’t actually find shit about what’s going on from the perspective of someone that doesn’t live/breathe recruiting but does like to hear about it. 

Haha, someone has had their ass handed to them on the recruiting board, which does not suffer fools gladly. That thread is by a mile the most valuable thread on the site in terms of insights, information, and inside information. 

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Haha, someone has had their ass handed to them on the recruiting board, which does not suffer fools gladly. That thread is by a mile the most valuable thread on the site in terms of insights, information, and inside information. 

What the fuck are you talking about?  Who has had their ass handed to them? Why do I care?  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Music is entertainment just as Movies and TV

Absolutely not. The music forum is arguably the one top forums on the board and it is it's own little fiefdom. Polluting it with Music and TV is nonsensical.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Hornlover said:

I think some of the long-running threads are actually a hindrance to newcomers. They see a 450 page thread and have no clue where to start. Just hopping on the last page is likely to be confusing or full of chicken fried steak talk, or cheese puns, and leave them saying "WTF?". 

Agrees things like the Tell me about aggy thread or realignment thread or other extremely long thread should be locked and restarted again each year (calendar or school).

Changing the thread titles to something less generic than “Tell me about” or “not going away” would also help as the focus of the topic changes or new information comes up to being in more viewers.

That’s been one of the more semi recent changes in the recruiting threads that I would like to see move over the the other boards.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

another thought - The Surly Blipvert

every few hours a surlytok/instasurl/X format 5-7 second "video" is released

X signed!

aggy sucks again!

and if the interns want to mix in some young-compliant content we olds just deal with it

another thought - take the content from the day and push a "Midnight Surl" - 30 seconds of the day's happenings in mixedmediasex&sports on the 40 and in the greater horn nation

brought to you by HORN POM ONLYFANS !

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

bob built a tracker engine that autosummed this data - don't know if it's code or configs

26 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Agrees things like the Tell me about aggy thread or realignment thread or other extremely long thread should be locked and restarted again each year (calendar or school).

Changing the thread titles to something less generic than “Tell me about” or “not going away” would also help as the focus of the topic changes or new information comes up to being in more viewers.

That’s been one of the more semi recent changes in the recruiting threads that I would like to see move over the the other boards.

Those things are what make shag/surl what it is. You basically are asking to just be another generic message board.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, G650 said:

Those things are what make shag/surl what it is. You basically are asking to just be another generic message board.

I don’t think you understand me.

The meta threads themselves are fine. Does starting a 2024 aggy/realignment thread Jan 1 that we use for a single year really change anything. Do you routinely go back 1200 pages and read?

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

But it is impossible to follow in 5 minutes a day or less.  We have a devoted set of 250 surlers who follow every 995 thread and make sure the other 249 know they are following it, and the real news, 2, maybe 3 posts a day for 2/3rds of the year, gets buried.    I would love a daily highlight/catchup on recruiting.   If it's 2 items, fine, if it's 10 items and takes 60 seconds so be it, but you've got to have the interns willing to do it, paired with some legacy olds, so we get the KT on the use case / implementation and can fill in when they move on until we find the next intern.   Making a parsec jump over the competition to capture the utes on recruiting is a massive real opportunity.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

But it is impossible to follow in 5 minutes a day or less.  We have a devoted set of 250 surlers who follow every 995 thread and make sure the other 249 know they are following it, and the real news, 2, maybe 3 posts a day for 2/3rds of the year, gets buried.    I would love a daily highlight/catchup on recruiting.   If it's 2 items, fine, if it's 10 items and takes 60 seconds so be it, but you've got to have the interns willing to do it, paired with some legacy olds, so we get the KT on the use case / implementation and can fill in when they move on until we find the next intern.   Making a parsec jump over the competition to capture the utes on recruiting is a massive real opportunity.

Yes. This is what I’m talking about. I don’t go to the recruiting board because I don’t have the time go every hour, and I don’t have the time (or desire) to filter through the bullshit once a day/every few days. Randoms showing up that might join the community probably Grandpa Simpson it right back out because of the overwhelming amount of posts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TKthunder2 said:

I don’t think you understand me.

The meta threads themselves are fine. Does starting a 2024 aggy/realignment thread Jan 1 that we use for a single year really change anything. Do you routinely go back 1200 pages and read?

I mean, I vaguely pay attention to college football anymore, so I don't read any of it. But I don't see how starting a new thread does anything, it's still a continual narrative. The first post of a new thread doesn't have any particular significance, it's just an arbitrary division, you still have to go back in other threads to really get it all.

I am not saying I'm opposed to new threads every year, so don't misunderstand what I am saying either. There's a new F1 thread every year, hobbies have annual threads, etc.. That's totally cool, I am talking about the intimidation and gatekeeping complaints. This place and it's predecessors have always had that, it's because the average poster here is a hell of a lot more intelligent and not prone to accepting bullshit than almost anywhere else. I know when I wondered over to the Shag back in the MS paint heyday, I sensed pretty immediately I had better be on my toes.

Remember I am an Alabama fan, though I think Texas is probably a top 3 or so team in my cheering interests, so I had to doubly make sure I didn't catch any strays. But the community here was worth the effort as the rest of the internet is either a mouth breathing wasteland or an incel/weirdo pod full of dorks with a negative social IQ. I'm sure immamac could check the exact numbers, but I'd say 90% of my posts are Music, Other Sports, Hobbies, with a little DT, CR and Board Discussion thrown in, simply because this place is the best part of the net to talk about those things. I did get sucked into posting in football over the sweet, sweet FSU tears, but typically I barely follow it anymore. I didn't even watch Alabamas last championship win, much less anything else.

• immamac unpinned this topic