Navy nuke thread

RomaVicta

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

image.png.66d9878589ab2d33367f5cd47ce98c0a.png

I assumed that was a disastrous stream of typos followed by the wrong word. Turns out this never served in the military suburban white college boy was wrong. Perhaps others don't know the meaning:

image.png.0626220240d10eba5b5934de8c1b6d0d.png

and the waiver:

image.png.d6ba76a9ba36a7eb8d45d69a0a93692e.png

Excellent insult to a soldier wannabe. If everybody else already knows this, then I am the idoit.

Not sure if officers have to take the same or similar, but yes, anyone who enlisted knows this acronym. 

No shame in not knowing, especially since you didn't serve.

Merry Christmas to all the surly assholes

• Hook 'Em 5

4 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I assumed that was a disastrous stream of typos followed by the wrong word. Turns out this never served in the military suburban white college boy was wrong. Perhaps others don't know the meaning:

and the waiver:

Excellent insult to a soldier wannabe. If everybody else already knows this, then I am the idoit.

We all had to take the ASVAB in HS for some reason

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

It was optional at my high school and I did it to get out of algebra that morning. Big mistake as I had recruiters bugging me for the next few months.

I was sick of school after my sophomore year of college, so I hit up the local navy recruiter. Scored 100 on the ASVAB, and shit blew up. Got offered a $30k signing bonus to go to nuke school. My old man talked me off the ledge. He told me "you realize that you will be stuffed into the reactor room of a ship or sub for the next twenty years, don't you?" Stupid me was wondering how he could be so sure. He followed up with, "what runs on nuclear power other than those two items?" Wasn't the only time his logical thinking bailed me out.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

I was sick of school after my sophomore year of college, so I hit up the local navy recruiter. Scored 100 on the ASVAB, and shit blew up. Got offered a $30k signing bonus to go to nuke school. My old man talked me off the ledge. He told me "you realize that you will be stuffed into the reactor room of a ship or sub for the next twenty years, don't you?" Stupid me was wondering how he could be so sure. He followed up with, "what runs on nuclear power other than those two items?" Wasn't the only time his logical thinking bailed me out.

CHIEF

@blacklab weren’t you on a sub for a while?

13 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

The nukes are untouchable so it does have its perks, they avoid the majority of the navy’s bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

The nukes are untouchable so it does have its perks, they avoid the majority of the navy’s bullshit.

It wouldn't have been a bad job. But I'm a tad bit claustrophobic, something my old man brought up. I always wonder what I would be doing now. How much different would my life be.

CHIEF

45 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

I got offered $40k to join the Navy as as Nuclear Engineer when I was in college. As poor as I was, it was very tempting. Thank god, my future wife distracted me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

It wouldn't have been a bad job. But I'm a tad bit claustrophobic, something my old man brought up. I always wonder what I would be doing now. How much different would my life be.

CHIEF

You could be making bank with absolute job security working in a civilian plant. I didn’t do the nuke program because if you don’t pass A or B school you get thrown into the “needs of the navy”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

You could be making bank with absolute job security working in a civilian plant. I didn’t do the nuke program because if you don’t pass A or B school you get thrown into the “needs of the navy”

The ASVAB didn't really have much complicated math or physics, which is why I did so well. I imagine I would have gotten washed out in A or B and would have landed in the "needs of the navy" scrapyard.

CHIEF

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

highest asvab score is 99.

futureman

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

The ASVAB didn't really have much complicated math or physics, which is why I did so well. I imagine I would have gotten washed out in A or B and would have landed in the "needs of the navy" scrapyard.

CHIEF

Yeah, the work load at nuke school is supposedly pretty brutal but at the same time they don’t subject them to your typical school navy crap those guys are stressed enough.

• Haha 1

I got offered $40k to join the Navy as as Nuclear Engineer when I was in college. As poor as I was, it was very tempting. Thank god, my future wife distracted me. 

They came hard after all the dudes in ASE. I told them I wanted to fly, and they said any monkey can be trained to fly. True, but I didn't want to live underwater.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Nah, nukes get fucked in unique ways that the majority of other sailors don't. The work load is always high the entire time you're in. You work 3 or 4 section duty while others work 6 or 8. A critique and mast is just one mistake away, etc. @FartingMonk is another nuke here IIRC.

My brother was a nuke on a fast attack sub in the 80s.  Maintained the nuclear plant. Chased the soviets around the North Sea. Surfaced at the North Pole. Developed colon cancer about 5 years ago and the Navy still had records of his exposure.  VA covered all treatment. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Hahahaha.  The nuclear guys had to deal with more shit than anyone.  First on last off.  A forward division couldn't figure something out?  Engineering go fix it for them while they go on liberty.  We always said if it was a forward problem it was a boat problem.  If it was aft it was an engineering problem.  They only had one standard for us and it was double.  Yeah, the nuclear program launched a bunch of awesome opportunities for us after the Navy but it was also the most crippling bullshit in the world.  I once got a submarine turned around after 30 days on deployment because I missed an initial on the paperwork.  My handwriting was there to say the indicator light turned "on" and the first initial guy had his initial there.  Mine was missed because the line for my initial was cut off on the bottom of the page.  I went from the top E5 with an early promote to promotable on my next evaluation.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

There's good and bad. You didn't have to stay in 20 years, all the smart people got out after 6. The ones I've kept in touch with have all been very successful in whatever career they chose.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

@blacklab weren’t you on a sub for a while?

Yep, spent 6 years in, served on two subs

1 hour ago, Not a Sock said:

False. We got fucked all the time. In the shipyard we worked 7 days a week for 6 weeks strait a couple of different times. The non nukes were working about 20 hours a week during that time

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Yeah, the asvab was mostly 7th grade and below math. When I took it in 89 I think perfect score was 125, I got 123 and remember being pissed I missed 2 questions.

54 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Yeah, the work load at nuke school is supposedly pretty brutal but at the same time they don’t subject them to your typical school navy crap those guys are stressed enough.

Yeah, go to class from 8am to 5pm and be expected to study 5 hours a night and 5-10 on the weekend. I already had a few years of EE at UT so a lot of it was review for me, others struggled hard. Basically shove a 4 year nuclear engineering degree down your throat in 6 months. About a 30% drop out rate.

42 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Nah, nukes get fucked in unique ways that the majority of other sailors don't. The work load is always high the entire time you're in. You work 3 or 4 section duty while others work 6 or 8. A critique and mast is just one mistake away, etc. @FartingMonk is another nuke here IIRC.

correct. I'm the other one.

5 minutes ago, nnm said:

My brother was a nuke on a fast attack sub in the 80s.  Maintained the nuclear plant. Chased the soviets around the North Sea. Surfaced at the North Pole. Developed colon cancer about 5 years ago and the Navy still had records of his exposure.  VA covered all treatment. 

How long was he in? Never thought about making a claim if I develop cancer.

• Hook 'Em 8

Yeah during A school and Power school.  It had your different ranges.  The extreme ranges.  We had guys who failed a test and their punishment was 45-5.  That meant you had to do 45 hours a week of extra studying and at least 5 hours a night.  A lot of those guys joined the Skipjack diving team.  Skipjack was the barracks room closest to the school house.  Everyone walked down "the spine" to get to the school house and every few weeks you would see someone take a dive off the 3rd floor.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Not navy but I was offered by the Air Force for a power electronics engineering job out of college. Think around 40k as well. Looking back I kinda wish I took it and left for more money later. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Funny story though.  Recently landed a role as an IC4 Critical Facility Engineer with META.  They pay pretty well.  My first week there I started reading the procedures and the processes and I'm just thinking holy fuck why is this shit so familiar to me.  Turns out they hired a former Deputy Director of NavSea08 to run their infrastructure side and he copied and pasted the process from the nuke side.  What makes it great is his counterpart is an early dude with META so he says hey you can bring all the nuclear stuff in here and make it how you want, but we start trying to fry our people over stupid shit and that's not going to work.  Very unique balance from what I see so far.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

and the waiver:

Entrance test for enlisted 

5 hours ago, Lone Star Horn said:

Not sure if officers have to take the same or similar, but yes, anyone who enlisted knows this acronym. 

No shame in not knowing, especially since you didn't serve.

Merry Christmas to all the surly assholes

We take the AFOQT. Like an asvab but different.   Took both. AFOQT is harder involved spatial awareness exams timed exams etc.  

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

We take the AFOQT. Like an asvab but different.   Took both. AFOQT is harder involved spatial awareness exams timed exams etc.  

Took that test twice.  Took in ‘89 and qualified to be a pilot.  Everything changed in ‘90 with all the budget cuts.  Scored a 94 and it wasn’t good enough to be a pilot, plus my eyes went bad and they wouldn’t allow a pilot that has a stigmatism in either eye.  I was offered a missle slot and passed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

This is what everyone I know who has served on a sub has said.

Universally they all also bitched about how much nukes earned and their re up bonuses.

Edit: read the rest of the thread on how they get fucked too. Sorry y'all

Edited by NoName
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Harvdog said:

Took that test twice.  Took in ‘89 and qualified to be a pilot.  Everything changed in ‘90 with all the budget cuts.  Scored a 94 and it wasn’t good enough to be a pilot, plus my eyes went bad and they wouldn’t allow a pilot that has a stigmatism in either eye.  I was offered a missle slot and passed. 

Yeah man I had same and even had lasik back when “the flap could come undone” lol. So no pilot for me. So like all good officers that get denied pilot we go acquisitions 🤣

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

You sir are an idiot

no u./s  I am not the expert like y’all but I was always lead to believe that pressure hull failures at depth were extremely violent and instantaneous and both Thresher and Scorpion sank in deep water. In comparison to Kursk which sank in shallow waters and thus the crew that weren’t killed in the explosion survived for hours before they either burned to death or suffocated when their oxygen candles started a fire.

Edited by Not a Sock

6 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

I was a navy nuke officer out of NROTC from Texas (yeah, did marching and rifle drill in Memorial Stadium once a week back when it was primitive artificial turf---we marched in to the sound of Patton's theme from the movie). But I don't recall avoiding the majority of the navy's bullshit, which is a good thing. Lots of dark humor in that bullshit.

Actually, not a bad career move, either. After six years in the navy, got myself a consulting job that opened a lot of doors. Have ended up winding my career down with a nice paycheck in a nice area where more than 50% of my work is remote, which suits my medical condition just fine.

I'm glad I didn't spend more than six years in uniform, but I wouldn't undo it either.        

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Not a Sock said:

no u./s  I am not the expert like y’all but I was always lead to believe that pressure hull failures at depth were extremely violent and instantaneous and both Thresher and Scorpion sank in deep water. In comparison to Kursk which sank in shallow waters and thus the crew that weren’t killed in the explosion survived for hours before they either burned to death or suffocated when their oxygen candles started a fire.

Pressure hull failures at depth are violent. Of course, simple drowning is no fun, either.

Submariners used to joke that surface ships are always at crush depth. Surface sailors would joke back that at least they had lifeboats. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Eh... good story but bullshit..  as someone stated earlier 99 is the highest score possible.. i should know.  Did meps in San Antonio after my first year as a ME student at UT.  I had no more money for school and signed up for the USMCR for money to pay for school...  retook the ASVAB as it had been more than 2 years since I had last took it and had to "requalify"    anyways took the test and thought nothing of it. We got our test scores and we're standing in line to meet with the 1st Sgr to see if we qualified to join the Corps.  I was standing in line with some fellow recruits and they were talking about their scores.    I think 20 might have been the minimum at the time... not entirely sure.... it was low... anyways the guys were going over their scores and were celebrating mid 20 scores.  The guy in front of me got something in the mid 50s and they were amazed how fucking smart cornbread was.  You fucking genius holmes!   They looked at me and asked what did you get.   I looked down at my score and was like 56...  God damn! dude you fuckin smart....  didnt think much of it after that....  then i got to the front of the line, 1st sgt takes the piece of paper out of my hands... looks at score... looks at me... looks at score....NINETY-FUCKING-NINE!.. looks back at me and screams the LINE FOR THE AIR FORCE IS OVER THERE!...  Which is kind of ironic because about 3 years later I was commissioned by the USAF...  i know... csb.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheRealRonWeaver? said:

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, MAGS® said:

Eh... good story but bullshit..  as someone stated earlier 99 is the highest score possible.. i should know.  Did meps in San Antonio after my first year as a ME student at UT.  I had no more money for school and signed up for the USMCR for money to pay for school...  retook the ASVAB as it had been more than 2 years since I had last took it and had to "requalify"    anyways took the test and thought nothing of it. We got our test scores and we're standing in line to meet with the 1st Sgr to see if we qualified to join the Corps.  I was standing in line with some fellow recruits and they were talking about their scores.    I think 20 might have been the minimum at the time... not entirely sure.... it was low... anyways the guys were going over their scores and were celebrating mid 20 scores.  The guy in front of me got something in the mid 50s and they were amazed how fucking smart cornbread was.  You fucking genius holmes!   They looked at me and asked what did you get.   I looked down at my score and was like 56...  God damn! dude you fuckin smart....  didnt think much of it after that....  then i got to the front of the line, 1st sgt takes the piece of paper out of my hands... looks at score... looks at me... looks at score....NINETY-FUCKING-NINE!.. looks back at me and screams the LINE FOR THE AIR FORCE IS OVER THERE!...  Which is kind of ironic because about 3 years later I was commissioned by the USAF...  i know... csb.

Those guys who got 22 or whatever? Their vote counts just as much as yours. 

Regarding Terry Bussey: does his running/body style remind anybody of Nathan Vasher?

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign

57 minutes ago, MAGS® said:

He didn't tell me I made a 100, the recruiter just told me that I got 100% of the answers right. Hope that clears shit up. 

CHIEF

17 hours ago, WBT said:

We all had to take the ASVAB in HS for some reason

I didn't back in the day. I was in one of the last classes they held the draft lottery. I think my number was around 100. Fortunately, nobody was drafted from that class and South Vietnam fell the next summer. 

One classmate was in the top ten. He had to take some sort of test. He said one of the questions was whether he would fire at an enemy he knew was wounded. I thought, of course. Turns out that that was not the answer they were looking for.