Gun Control

Heavy 6

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I was told the whole gun could be printed with plastic and untraceable.

Was I misinformed?

The handguns are fully plastic.  Assault rifle plans include metal.

4 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

There's also the problem of metal bullets, as well. 

Yes, I also have this question.

I'm quite sure that tweet was in response to this:
25-year-old radical libertarian Cody Wilson stood on a remote central Texas gun range and pulled the trigger on the world’s first fully 3-D-printed gun. When, to his relief, his plastic invention fired a .380-caliber bullet into a berm of dirt without jamming or exploding in his hands, he drove back to Austin and uploaded the blueprints for the pistol to his website, Defcad.com.
He'd launched the site months earlier along with an anarchist video manifesto, declaring that gun control would never be the same in an era when anyone can download and print their own firearm with a few clicks. In the days after that first test-firing, his gun was downloaded more than 100,000 times. Wilson made the decision to go all in on the project, dropping out of law school at the University of Texas, as if to confirm his belief that technology supersedes law.
The law caught up. Less than a week later, Wilson received a letter from the US State Department demanding that he take down his printable-gun blueprints or face prosecution for violating federal export controls. Under an obscure set of US regulations known as the International Trade in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Wilson was accused of exporting weapons without a license, just as if he'd shipped his plastic gun to Mexico rather than put a digital version of it on the internet. He took Defcad.com offline, but his lawyer warned him that he still potentially faced millions of dollars in fines and years in prison simply for having made the file available to overseas downloaders for a few days. "I thought my life was over," Wilson says.
Instead, Wilson has spent the last years on an unlikely project for an anarchist: Not simply defying or skirting the law but taking it to court and changing it. In doing so, he has now not only defeated a legal threat to his own highly controversial gunsmithing project. He may have also unlocked a new era of digital DIY gunmaking that further undermines gun control across the United States and the world—another step toward Wilson's imagined future where anyone can make a deadly weapon at home with no government oversight.
Two months ago, the Department of Justice quietly offered Wilson a settlement to end a lawsuit he and a group of co-plaintiffs have pursued since 2015 against the United States government. Wilson and his team of lawyers focused their legal argument on a free speech claim: They pointed out that by forbidding Wilson from posting his 3-D-printable data, the State Department was not only violating his right to bear arms but his right to freely share information. By blurring the line between a gun and a digital file, Wilson had also successfully blurred the lines between the Second Amendment and the First.
"If code is speech, the constitutional contradictions are evident," Wilson explained to WIRED when he first launched the lawsuit in 2015. "So what if this code is a gun?”
The Department of Justice's surprising settlement, confirmed in court documents earlier this month, essentially surrenders to that argument. It promises to change the export control rules surrounding any firearm below .50 caliber—with a few exceptions like fully automatic weapons and rare gun designs that use caseless ammunition—and move their regulation to the Commerce Department, which won't try to police technical data about the guns posted on the public internet. In the meantime, it gives Wilson a unique license to publish data about those weapons anywhere he chooses.
"I consider it a truly grand thing," Wilson says. "It will be an irrevocable part of political life that guns are downloadable, and we helped to do that."
Now Wilson is making up for lost time. Later this month, he and the nonprofit he founded, Defense Distributed, are relaunching their website Defcad.com as a repository of firearm blueprints they've been privately creating and collecting, from the original one-shot 3-D-printable pistol he fired in 2013 to AR-15 frames and more exotic DIY semi-automatic weapons. The relaunched site will be open to user contributions, too; Wilson hopes it will soon serve as a searchable, user-generated database of practically any firearm imaginable.
All of that will be available to anyone anywhere in the world with an uncensored internet connection, to download, alter, remix, and fabricate into lethal weapons with tools like 3-D printers and computer-controlled milling machines. “We’re doing the encyclopedic work of collecting this data and putting it into the commons,” Wilson says. “What’s about to happen is a Cambrian explosion of the digital content related to firearms.” He intends that database, and the inexorable evolution of homemade weapons it helps make possible, to serve as a kind of bulwark against all future gun control, demonstrating its futility by making access to weapons as ubiquitous as the internet.
More:  https://www.wired.com/story/a-landmark-legal-shift-opens-pandoras-box-for-diy-guns/

Hero

1 hour ago, maninblack said:

Torbush

With his new legal victory and the Pandora's box of DIY weapons it opens, Wilson says he's finally fulfilling that mission. “All this Parkland stuff, the students, all these dreams of ‘common sense gun reforms'? No. The internet will serve guns, the gun is downloadable.” Wilson says now. “No amount of petitions or die-ins or anything else can change that."

13 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Wilson is an insufferable kook...but he's right. We get the heroes we deserve.

A Federal Judge has halted the distribution of the printer plans, as the lawsuits filed by 8+ State Attorneys General move forward.

Those judges must have never heard of the steisshand effect. Or understand how the internet works lol. 

A Republican senator on Tuesday blocked legislation that would ban blueprints of 3D printed guns from being posted online.

Sen. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.) tried to pass a bill by unanimous consent that would make it illegal to intentionally publish a digital file that programs a 3D printer to manufacture a firearm.
GOP Sen. Mike Lee (Utah) objected to passing the legislation. He noted that while he had just seen the bill for the first time, he had concerns that it would infringe on the First Amendment.

"Any legislation that comes forth from this body that begins with the following words will attract my attention and should attract the attention of anyone who's concerned about our first amendment and other constitutional rights," Lee said.

"It begins with the words 'it shall be unlawful for any person to intentionally publish.' That ought to be concerning to us," Lee added.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/399759-gop-senator-blocks-bill-that-would-ban-release-of-3d-gun-blueprints

On 7/26/2018 at 10:17 AM, bernorange said:

I read the Tribune article thanks to your post.  I just sent an email to Sen. Taylor (chair of the committee handling the issue and also my State Senator):

Almost every time I have emailed one of my Representatives (whether State or Federal), I just get the typical automated response letting me know the communication was received.  Today, I got a personal email reply from from one of Sen. Taylor's policy analysts.  He said:

<my comments were> consistent with much of the testimony the Senate Select Committee on Violence in Schools and School Security heard in our July 24 hearing and I would personally echo your sentiments on due process being applied stringently when looking into protective orders. This hearing was one of four hearing we had on the subject of school safety and preventing violence on our campuses, and these ideas will continue to be evaluated and discussed as we move into the legislative session.

A Senate committee on the topic released its report on Monday. One of the ideas in it, "red flag" laws, seems to be losing momentum.
The Senate Select Committee on Violence in Schools and School Security did review red flag laws. The committee's conclusion was that the state didn't need them. Rather, lawmakers need to consider clarifying existing laws on whether someone convicted of domestic violence can have a firearm. And, lawmakers also need to consider new legislation on how to return guns to people who are no longer a risk to themselves or others.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/senate-committee-report-on-school-violence-and-security-shows-red-flag-support-is-fading/269-581065607

• 4 months later...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/18/politics/bump-stocks-ban/index.html

The Trump administration rolled out a new federal regulation Tuesday officially banning bump-fire stocks.

Those who possess the devices, which make it easier to fire rounds from a semi-automatic weapon by harnessing the gun's recoil to "bump" the trigger faster, will have 90 days to turn in or otherwise destroy them from the date that the final rule is published in the federal register -- likely this Friday -- according to senior DOJ officials.

Who do I talk to about my refund?

Edited by Parliament

On 12/18/2018 at 9:03 PM, Parliament said:

They were on shaky ground to start, but forcing lawful owners to destroy them is wrong.  

Trump had a hard-on for bump stocks back in February and directed Sessions to figure out how to ban them.  

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you, but either the DOJ slow-rolled this in the hopes that Trump would lose interest, or they spent a lot of time figuring out if and how they could.   

• 2 weeks later...

Armed Man in Tactical Clothing Headed to a Texas Church to ‘Fulfill a Prophecy,’ Police Say
The man stopped at a restaurant restroom in Seguin, Tex., for 30 minutes before emerging wearing a surgical face mask and gripping a loaded handgun, witnesses and the police said.

Credit Seguin Police Department, via twitter
By Sandra E. Garcia
Dec. 30, 2018

A man wearing tactical-style clothing and carrying a loaded firearm and extra ammunition who said he was on his way to a Texas church to “fulfill a prophecy” was arrested early on Sunday morning, officials said.

The man, identified by the police as Tony D. Albert, 33, of Houston, was taken into custody in Seguin, Tex., a city about 35 miles east of San Antonio. He did not say which church he planned to go to, Officer Tanya Brown of the Seguin Police Department said.

It was still dark outside when Mr. Albert, who was wearing sunglasses, stopped at Las Mañanitas restaurant around 6:30 a.m. A worker there, Brianna Jimenez, 18, went to greet him but he waved her off and he went into the restroom for close to 30 minutes, she said.

“I totally forgot he was in there,” Ms. Jimenez said on Sunday. When Mr. Albert, who was carrying a backpack, left the restroom, he turned to Ms. Jimenez.

“He asks me ‘Do you know where the nearest Baptist church is at?’” Ms. Jimenez said.

Ms. Jimenez and her mother pointed him toward a church down the road. Mr. Albert told Ms. Jimenez that he had been to that church many years ago and asked for the next nearest one. Ms. Jimenez’s mother gave him directions.

“He was looking for a church with a fountain in the back,” Ms. Jimenez said. “It kind of seemed like he was on a mission to go to that church.”

Her mother, Gabriela Jimenez, said he came out of the restroom wearing a white or baby blue surgical mask that covered his mouth. That grabbed her attention.

Then she saw the gun.

“He had it in his hand the whole time,” Gabriela Jimenez said. “The way he was standing he had it in his right hand and you could not see it until he turned around to walk away.”

Mr. Albert did not do anything to alarm her before she saw the gun, she said. “He seemed calm. He did not give us any attitude,” Gabriela Jimenez said.

Mr. Albert asked Brianna Jimenez for a ride to the second church twice and twice she declined. When he turned to leave the restaurant, he was gripping his gun, she said.

Once he was outside, Brianna Jimenez motioned to a friend who was closer to the door to lock it. Everyone hid in the kitchen while Gabriela Jimenez called the police. An off-duty officer was the first to arrive and “observed an oddly dressed male wearing tactical-style clothing,” the Police Department said on its Facebook page.

Mr. Albert was taken to the Guadalupe County Jail and booked on charges of possession of marijuana and felon in possession of a firearm, Officer Brown said. Mr. Albert told the authorities he was headed to a church to “fulfill a prophecy,” officials said.

“I do not have any indication that he’s known to have mental illness,” David Willborn, the county prosecutor, said in an email. “His behavior indicates that there is certainly cause for concern regarding his mental health.”

He said he suggested that Mr. Albert face additional charges. Mr. Albert will not be arraigned until a grand jury hears his case in January.

“The Seguin Police Department is extremely grateful to the citizen who called the police,” Officer Brown said on Facebook. “If this subject was not stopped and apprehended the results could have ended differently.”

In October, a gunman entered the Tree of Life Congregation in Pittsburgh and killed 11 people inside the synagogue, the police said. And in 2017, a gunman killed 26 people and wounded 20 more after he opened fire during a Sunday service at a church in Sutherland Springs, Tex.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/30/us/tony-albert-seguin-texas-gun.html?partner=rss&amp;emc=rss&amp;smtyp=cur&amp;smid=tw-nytimes

• 2 weeks later...

Yuma County Sheriff's Office said that deputies responded to reports of a home invasion at the 3800 block of East County 18th 1/2 Street at about 1:38 a.m. Upon arrival, deputies discovered that the home occupants were woken up by noises outside their home and unknown individuals were trying to enter the home. The individuals entered the home and during the home invasion, one of the home's occupants fired several rounds, hitting all four of the individuals.

Authorities have identified the suspects who entered the home.

Jessica Aynes, 28, of Yuma, was pronounced dead at Yuma Regional Medical Center. Next of kin has been notified.

Thirty-six-year-old Edith Guerrero, of Somerton, was transported to Yuma Regional Medical Center with a gunshot wound and later flown to a Phoenix-area hospital.

Jaden James, 18, of Mesa, Ariz., was transported to Yuma Regional Medical Center with a gunshot wound.

Twenty-seven-year-old Leonardo Gonzalez, of Yuma, was self-transported to Yuma Regional Medical Center and was later flown to a Phoenix-area hospital.

https://www.kyma.com/news/woman-dead-and-three-injured-in-home-invasion/963355954

Pretty impressive to hit all four targets.  I would hate to be limited to a 10 round magazine if I were in a similar situation.

Edited by bernorange
  • Haha 1

From the same hayseed state that brought us Rep Steve King.

A Republican-led effort to add gun rights to the Iowa Constitution must start over because the state's top election office did not complete a key step in the yearslong process, a mistake they described as a "bureaucratic oversight." 

Republican lawmakers and pro-gun advocates said they were shocked and angry after Iowa Secretary of State Paul Pate confirmed that his office failed to publish the required notifications that the Legislature had begun the process of amending the state constitution in Iowa newspapers.

That publication was a key requirement to advance a resolution first passed in the Legislature last year.

"I accept full responsibility for this oversight and offer my sincerest apology to the legislators and supporters who worked so hard on these bills," Pate said in a statement.

Amendments to the Iowa Constitution must be passed by a majority of both chambers of the Iowa Legislature in separate, two-year General Assembly calendars. Republicans, who control both chambers, had been on track to place the measure before voters in 2020. Now the proposal will be delayed by at least two years, and may be derailed altogether if Democrats retake a chamber in the next election.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2019/01/14/iowa-legislature-state-constitution-gun-rights-amendment-2nd-amendment-firearms-coalition-paul-pate/2567619002/

The City of Austin violated state law by banning licensed handgun holders from entering City Hall with firearms, a Travis County District Court judge ruled today.

Judge Lora Livingston of the 261st Civil District Court fined the city $1,500 for each of six instances in which license holders were denied entry. The total fine was $9,000.
“This is a huge win, not only for citizens of Austin. This is a big win for the entire state of Texas,” said Cargill, a political activist and executive director of Texans for Accountable Government.  

“We’re going to visit every and any county and municipality and county," he said, "and we’re going to file a complaint with the AG’s office, and we’re going to sue them."

“The city of Austin cannot violate the open carry law or any other law the Texas Legislature has enacted simply because they disagree with it,” Paxton said in a statement after the ruling.

http://www.kut.org/post/judge-fines-austin-9000-banning-guns-city-hall

• 3 weeks later...

This is why we act all flaky when it comes to the Government.  They wanna take our stuff.  Democrats hold a super-majority in the Illinois Legislature, and they have the Governorship.

https://www.thetelegraph.com/news/article/In-the-crosshairs-State-of-Illinois-sets-sights-13584107.php

The assault weapon bill, SB107, was introduced Jan. 23 by State Sen. Julie Morrison, D-Deerfield, and sent to the Judiciary Committee on Jan. 30.

As submitted it would ban large numbers of semi-automatic rifles and some handguns and shotguns; some specifically by name and others using various criteria including the presence of pistol grips, large capacity magazines, folding or collapsible stocks, barrel shrouds and other attachments.

Owners of existing weapons would be allowed to keep them but the weapons would have to be registered, and the bill would be severely limited in who they could be transferred to. Failure to register would be a felony.

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Maybe they should do nuclear strike drills too, you never know.

Hey, I mean they are going the way of Australia even though they were already restricted. Maybe next shooting will be bow and arrow, probably not. 

Edited by workswithseed

21 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Hey, I mean they are going the way of Australia even though they were already restricted. Maybe next shooting will be bow and arrow, probably not. 

Wonder why there are so many knife attacks in the UK....

11 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

Knives do considerably less damage to the human body when compared to guns. Knives are also used to cut vegetables. This isn’t hard

Yeah, so when the cops take 36 minutes to get there it's okay to stab people with knives cause..... What the other people would have knives instead of guns to protect themselves? Seems reasonable

1 minute ago, workswithseed said:

Yeah, so when the cops take 36 minutes to get there it's okay to stab people with knives cause..... What the other people would have knives instead of guns to protect themselves? Seems reasonable

I apologize. I don’t understand what you are trying to say. Are you trying to say that we should ban knives? That would be dumb. How would the vegetables be cut?

11 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

I apologize. I don’t understand what you are trying to say. Are you trying to say that we should ban knives? That would be dumb. How would the vegetables be cut?

Duh, chainsaws...

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

They should ban knives.

You say that as though that's a good thing.

Yeah, it is a good thing when a crazy person bent on inflicting as much damage as possible has a knife instead of a rifle capable of discharging dozens of rounds in a minute. This isnt hard.