Gun Control

Heavy 6

52 minutes ago, Parliament said:

What's that "handle thing" right in front of the Eotech?

I think it's called a spaghetti strap, but looks like it's more for design than anything practical.  No way you could lift her up by that thing.

• Haha 1

Knife Control

https://www.dailywire.com/news/29179/londons-mayor-declares-intense-new-knife-control-emily-zanotti

An epidemic of stabbings and acid attacks in London has gotten so bad that London mayor Sadiq Khan is announcing broad new "knife control" policies designed to keep these weapons of war out of the hands of Londoners looking to cause others harm.

The "tough, immediate" measures involve an incredible police crackdown, a ban on home deliveries of knives and acid, and expanding law enforcement stop-and-search powers so that police may stop anyone they believe to be a threat, or planning a knife or acid attack.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Heavy 6 said:

Knife Control

https://www.dailywire.com/news/29179/londons-mayor-declares-intense-new-knife-control-emily-zanotti

An epidemic of stabbings and acid attacks in London has gotten so bad that London mayor Sadiq Khan is announcing broad new "knife control" policies designed to keep these weapons of war out of the hands of Londoners looking to cause others harm.

The "tough, immediate" measures involve an incredible police crackdown, a ban on home deliveries of knives and acid, and expanding law enforcement stop-and-search powers so that police may stop anyone they believe to be a threat, or planning a knife or acid attack.

I blame the National Knife Association. 

• Haha 1

On 4/8/2018 at 8:02 PM, bernorange said:

Knife control? Seriously, that's a bit from The Onion, right?  When knives are outlawed, only outlaws will have knives...

I’m already making shanks out of my old toofbrushes.  You bitches is all be mine!

Bank of America will stop lending money to gun manufacturers that make military-inspired firearms for civilian use, such as the AR-15-style rifles that have been used in multiple mass shootings, a company executive said Tuesday.

The policy is the latest example of Wall Street wading into the divisive gun control debate after Citigroup’s announcement last month that it would require business customers to restrict certain types of firearms sales.

“We want to contribute in any way we can to reduce these mass shootings,” Anne M. Finucane, vice chairwoman at the Bank of America, said on Bloomberg TV.

The bank works with “just a handful of manufacturers,” with whom it has had “intense conversations over the last few months,” Ms. Finucane said. Their reactions to the new policy have been “mixed,” she said.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Bank of America will stop lending money to gun manufacturers that make military-inspired firearms for civilian use, such as the AR-15-style rifles that have been used in multiple mass shootings, a company executive said Tuesday.

The policy is the latest example of Wall Street wading into the divisive gun control debate after Citigroup’s announcement last month that it would require business customers to restrict certain types of firearms sales.

“We want to contribute in any way we can to reduce these mass shootings,” Anne M. Finucane, vice chairwoman at the Bank of America, said on Bloomberg TV.

The bank works with “just a handful of manufacturers,” with whom it has had “intense conversations over the last few months,” Ms. Finucane said. Their reactions to the new policy have been “mixed,” she said.

As an ex employee, i say good riddance. 

• Like 1

Sean Simpson, a teacher at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, has spoken in favor of gun control efforts and said he might be open to the idea of carrying a gun in class. Now, he's been arrested after leaving his Glock 9 mm pistol in a bathroom over the weekend.

Simpson told the authorities that he'd forgotten the loaded weapon in a stall in the bathroom at the Deerfield Beach Pier. But before he could retrieve the pistol, the Sun-Sentinel reports, "a drunk homeless man found it and fired it, according to an arrest report from the Broward Sheriff's Office."

Holy shit. Leave it to the left wing erudite to single out this dumbass teacher as the beacon of proof that teachers are inherently untrustworthy and neglectful. One fucking person. Who makes the case more airtight because he happened to be a teacher at SD. Really?  I’m not even advocating for arming teachers, but I can clearly this dude is not one fit for carry and is in no way representative of the many who could. 

• Like 1

http://www.post-gazette.com/business/money/2018/04/09/Dicks-Sporting-Goods-Pittsburgh-destroy-dispose-assault-rifles-guns-pulled-off-shelves/stories/201804060151

When Dick’s Sporting Goods said it would no longer sell modern sporting rifles at its Field & Stream stores following the Valentine’s Day shooting at a Parkland, Fla., high school, one question was what would happen to the unsold firearms in its inventory.

Typically a retailer may return unsold merchandise to the manufacturer. But in this case, Dick’s Sporting Goods has decided to destroy them.

“We are in the process of destroying all firearms and accessories that are no longer for sale as a result of our February 28th policy change,” a spokeswoman told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “We are destroying the firearms in accordance with federal guidelines and regulations.” 

Jay-and-Doritos.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

U.S. Reps. Debbie Dingell and Fred Upton of Michigan proposed legislation Wednesday that would provide funds to states that adopt laws allowing police to take guns from people who are deemed a danger to themselves or others. 

Dingell, D-Dearborn, and Upton, R-St. Joseph, crafted the bill to encourage statutes based on a state law enacted in Indiana after the death of a police officer in 2004 that gives law enforcement officials greater leeway to seize and retain firearms from potentially dangerous gun owners.

The legislation would push for laws that allow state and local police and sheriff’s departments to seize firearms without a warrant if they find probable cause that an individual is dangerous. Police would then have to report the seizure to a local court within 24 hours.

The laws Dingell and Upton are seeking would also let local law enforcement seek a warrant from a state or local court to seize and retain firearms if they believed the person might hurt him or herself or others and had demonstrated a pattern of not taking medication for a mental illness or there was other evidence the person was prone to violent or unstable conduct.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/05/09/dingell-upton-gun-laws-seize/595283002/

I was aware that so called red flag laws provided for LEOs, family, etc. to petition a judge for an order, but I was not aware that they provided for LEOs to confiscate firearms on the spot if they "find probable cause".  That sounds a lot like civil asset forfeiture bullshit.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Bojack said:

Speaking of only caring when there's a mass shooting, has the NRA said anything at all about their association with Maria Butina? 

Something is off about her. Not only was she an advocate for gun ownership here in the US, she was also advocating loosening gun laws in Russia. 

Something doesn't add up. 

Edited by Clob94
  • Like 1

A federal appeals court ruled on Tuesday that the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment guarantees a right to openly carry a gun in public for self-defense, finding that Hawaii overstepped its authority to regulate firearms possession outside the home.

The ruling by a three-judge panel on the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, makes the San Francisco-based court the sixth U.S. circuit court to interpret the Second Amendment that way and could set the issue on a path toward the U.S. Supreme Court, which has not taken up a major gun rights case since 2010.
In a 2-1 decision on Tuesday, the panel found Hawaii infringed on the rights of plaintiff George Young when it twice denied him a permit the state requires to openly carry a gun in public.

“We do not take lightly the problem of gun violence,” Judge Diarmuid O’Scannlain wrote in Tuesday’s ruling. “But, for better or for worse, the Second Amendment does protect a right to carry a firearm in public for self-defense.”

President Donald Trump, a vocal gun rights supporter, is seeking to fill a vacant Supreme Court seat and make the court more conservative, raising the prospect that it may take up more cases in coming years.

State Attorney General Russell Suzuki said the ruling would “undermine Hawaii’s strong gun control law and our commitment to protect the public.” He added that state and local authorities would consult on what further action to take.

The 9th Circuit ruled in 2016 that the Second Amendment did not guarantee a right to carry concealed firearms in public in a case originating in Southern California. The U.S. Supreme Court declined to rule on that decision last year.

Alan Beck, a lawyer for the plaintiff in Tuesday’s ruling, said he believed the question about openly carrying firearms would eventually end up before the Supreme Court.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-guns-court/u-s-appeals-court-upholds-right-to-carry-gun-in-public-idUSKBN1KE28C?f

• Like 1

I read the Tribune article thanks to your post.  I just sent an email to Sen. Taylor (chair of the committee handling the issue and also my State Senator):

Dear Sen. Taylor,

It's been a while since I last attended the local senate district GOP convention and shook your hand.  I've been mostly quiet on the political front for a while, but this morning, I ran across an article in the Texas Tribune talking about proposed "red flag" laws here in Texas:

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/07/24/texas-lt-gov-dan-patrick-states-opposition-red-flag-gun-laws/

The article identified you as the chair of the State Senate committee that is working this issue.  As a constituent in your district, I felt compelled to share my thought on the matter, FWIW.

I am a responsible gun owner.  I've been a member in good standing of the local (NRA affiliated) PSC shooting range.  I've taught my children firearm safety.  I am a strong advocate for the individual right to bear arms and self defense.

That said, I am not opposed to "red flag" laws as long as the implementation relies upon due process.  I have read about various "red flag" laws enacted in other states and the implementations vary.  

Some states allow LEO to confiscate firearms on the spot if they deem the situation warrants. I do *not* support "red flag" laws that allow LEO to act unilaterally in disarming citizens.

Some states require a judge to issue an order before any firearm confiscation occurs and there are further provisions for court proceedings providing real due process.  I believe that "red flag" laws in this fashion can strike an appropriate balance between the rights of citizens and public safety.  As a constituent in your district, I ask for your support in endorsing a "red flag" law for Texas that has a strong basis in due process.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Is anyone actually selling 3d printed guns to the public?  Does that even happen? I am sure there are some 1 off cases, but I would think that most people who are playign with 3d prints do it themselves. 

It’s a useful bogeyman for now.

A stupid one though.  Many gun owners don’t want the government telling them they can’t make their own guns.

I'm quite sure that tweet was in response to this:

25-year-old radical libertarian Cody Wilson stood on a remote central Texas gun range and pulled the trigger on the world’s first fully 3-D-printed gun. When, to his relief, his plastic invention fired a .380-caliber bullet into a berm of dirt without jamming or exploding in his hands, he drove back to Austin and uploaded the blueprints for the pistol to his website, Defcad.com.

He'd launched the site months earlier along with an anarchist video manifesto, declaring that gun control would never be the same in an era when anyone can download and print their own firearm with a few clicks. In the days after that first test-firing, his gun was downloaded more than 100,000 times. Wilson made the decision to go all in on the project, dropping out of law school at the University of Texas, as if to confirm his belief that technology supersedes law.

The law caught up. Less than a week later, Wilson received a letter from the US State Department demanding that he take down his printable-gun blueprints or face prosecution for violating federal export controls. Under an obscure set of US regulations known as the International Trade in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Wilson was accused of exporting weapons without a license, just as if he'd shipped his plastic gun to Mexico rather than put a digital version of it on the internet. He took Defcad.com offline, but his lawyer warned him that he still potentially faced millions of dollars in fines and years in prison simply for having made the file available to overseas downloaders for a few days. "I thought my life was over," Wilson says.

Instead, Wilson has spent the last years on an unlikely project for an anarchist: Not simply defying or skirting the law but taking it to court and changing it. In doing so, he has now not only defeated a legal threat to his own highly controversial gunsmithing project. He may have also unlocked a new era of digital DIY gunmaking that further undermines gun control across the United States and the world—another step toward Wilson's imagined future where anyone can make a deadly weapon at home with no government oversight.

Two months ago, the Department of Justice quietly offered Wilson a settlement to end a lawsuit he and a group of co-plaintiffs have pursued since 2015 against the United States government. Wilson and his team of lawyers focused their legal argument on a free speech claim: They pointed out that by forbidding Wilson from posting his 3-D-printable data, the State Department was not only violating his right to bear arms but his right to freely share information. By blurring the line between a gun and a digital file, Wilson had also successfully blurred the lines between the Second Amendment and the First.

"If code is speech, the constitutional contradictions are evident," Wilson explained to WIRED when he first launched the lawsuit in 2015. "So what if this code is a gun?”

The Department of Justice's surprising settlement, confirmed in court documents earlier this month, essentially surrenders to that argument. It promises to change the export control rules surrounding any firearm below .50 caliber—with a few exceptions like fully automatic weapons and rare gun designs that use caseless ammunition—and move their regulation to the Commerce Department, which won't try to police technical data about the guns posted on the public internet. In the meantime, it gives Wilson a unique license to publish data about those weapons anywhere he chooses.

"I consider it a truly grand thing," Wilson says. "It will be an irrevocable part of political life that guns are downloadable, and we helped to do that."

Now Wilson is making up for lost time. Later this month, he and the nonprofit he founded, Defense Distributed, are relaunching their website Defcad.com as a repository of firearm blueprints they've been privately creating and collecting, from the original one-shot 3-D-printable pistol he fired in 2013 to AR-15 frames and more exotic DIY semi-automatic weapons. The relaunched site will be open to user contributions, too; Wilson hopes it will soon serve as a searchable, user-generated database of practically any firearm imaginable.

All of that will be available to anyone anywhere in the world with an uncensored internet connection, to download, alter, remix, and fabricate into lethal weapons with tools like 3-D printers and computer-controlled milling machines. “We’re doing the encyclopedic work of collecting this data and putting it into the commons,” Wilson says. “What’s about to happen is a Cambrian explosion of the digital content related to firearms.” He intends that database, and the inexorable evolution of homemade weapons it helps make possible, to serve as a kind of bulwark against all future gun control, demonstrating its futility by making access to weapons as ubiquitous as the internet.

More:  https://www.wired.com/story/a-landmark-legal-shift-opens-pandoras-box-for-diy-guns/

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It’s a useful bogeyman for now.

A stupid one though.  Many gun owners don’t want the government telling them they can’t make their own guns.

That's why it's something the Democrats should mention loudly and consistently. Their base will want it regulated so there's nothing to gain but nothing to lose on their side.

But the NRA is against 3D printed guns because they're just a front for corporate money. So keeping this issue front and center will create a divide between the NRA and their members. And because the GOP is beholden to the NRA, this has a chance to simultaneously increase Democrat and depress GOP voter turnout if they make it an issue for the election.

Edited by Huckleberry

7 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

i'm against gun registration or limitations on firepower, but for background checks so felons will have a more difficult time.

Now with 3D, which can already be downloaded for free, registration/background checks go the way of the horse buggy right?

If a felon wants a gun to commit a crime, they aren’t going to spend a lot of money on a 3D printer, or for a one-use 3D-printed gun, they’ll buy a stolen gun for much cheaper.

12 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If a felon wants a gun to commit a crime, they aren’t going to spend a lot of money on a 3D printer, or for a one-use 3D-printed gun, they’ll buy a stolen gun for much cheaper.

the 3D angle was more for the common man, while felons won't know how to use it or afford a 3d printer, the middle class or better could make all types of guns - fully automatic even, so bypassing all legalities. That is the future, no?

4 hours ago, Orca of Peace said:

i'm against gun registration or limitations on firepower, but for background checks so felons will have a more difficult time.

Now with 3D, which can already be downloaded for free, registration/background checks go the way of the horse buggy right?

Like Parliament said above me, you can legally manufacture a firearm relatively easily. Buy an 80% AR lower, a cheap drill press, and the guide jig and you're off to the races. 3D printed firearms are just a new boogeyman for uninformed gun control advocates to yell at and act like will be the downfall of society.

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

A plastic gun seems like it would be dangerous for the user.  How many rounds would it take for the plastic barrel to melt and cause the gun to blow up in your hand?

The only plastic part is the lower receiver that contains the trigger group, hand grip and mag well.  The rest is all steel and aluminum.

tumblr_meef7vigBy1rwpoc4.jpg