NYT Pisses on CFP: “The Best Teams That Money Could Buy”

Bama Llama

Who cares though? Is it fair? Nope. But for the schools Texas competes with, this is the pragmatic new landscape. As a society should we care that our universities focus this much about sports... debatable/probably not, but it sure is fun though. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

A thought : who’s going to be the first school to try to go all in with the saudis ?

ncaa championships across all sports 

Along that though exercise, what if an institution like Harvard decided they care about sports?

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

32 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I thought the article was fair.  Maybe read it before you shit all over it and the Times.  

Well, I can't read it because some massive popup shits all over my screen when I click the link. Guess I'll get my news elsewhere.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, YChang said:

Along that though exercise, what if an institution like Harvard decided they care about sports?

What does this even mean? Are you implying that due to their wealthy alumni base, they’d immediately become a powerhouse? We have quite a wealthy alumni base as well, many of which already care a shit ton about sports, but most of them still don’t contribute. It’d take a generation or two for a school like Harvard to begin competing in this space like the schools that already have an active fan base.

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, YChang said:

I'd love to see it.  would be high comedy.  they should join the ACC.

29 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Aggie has Qatar. It’s not working. 

just like aggy to go straight to the JV team of Arab Oil money

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Anytime anyone ever complains about the NIL money in sports, it should be met with an immediate rebuttal that the money has always been there via cheating schools doing it under the table, and asking them why they prefer that a bunch of cheaters get rewarded for their actions while the rest of the rule abiding schools get screwed every year. 

Has there been any mention nationally of all the good that has also come from NIL? You know, the charitable aspects and such. Things that weren't happening when it was under the table.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

A thought : who’s going to be the first school to try to go all in with the saudis ?

FSU? 🤷‍♂️

20 minutes ago, troph said:

#enshitification

I learned something new today:

"Here is how platforms die: first, they are good to their users; then they abuse their users to make things better for their business customers; finally, they abuse those business customers to claw back all the value for themselves. Then, they die. I call this enshittification, and it is a seemingly inevitable consequence arising from the combination of the ease of changing how a platform allocates value, combined with the nature of a "two sided market", where a platform sits between buyers and sellers, hold each hostage to the other, raking off an ever-larger share of the value that passes between them."

1 minute ago, thunderlounge said:

Who has regulation over how much State Farm pays Andy and Patrick? Or how much Sunday Ticket pays Josh?

Nobody.

The only restrictions are the salary cap per team, which applies to all team members. Schools don’t have players on salary, yet.

And the salary cap is still different from, essentially, NIL for pro players. There are players, Gronkowski among them unless I’m wrong, who live on their advertising income and invest their paychecks. 

28 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Has there been any mention nationally of all the good that has also come from NIL? You know, the charitable aspects and such. Things that weren't happening when it was under the table.

Yeah, the article touches on that some with a quote or two from players, saying it's cool to be involved in charity stuff.

18 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Any follower of CFB for the last 10-20 years knew this was coming after unregulated NIL was allowed to happen. It takes a paywall newspaper (website) to state the obvious?

I feel like this was an introductory overview for people who don't follow CFB too closely. See my previous post, where you can read the article in full.

• Hook 'Em 2

IDGAF about any notion of purity or the sanctity of college football with regard to the P5 schools.

Players have been getting paid before NIL started.  They getting paid now.  I have zero issue at all with any of that.

I truly just want to watch the game, because if you're interested in accountability or some equal competition across schools, you're more willingly stupid than a 15 year old who still believes in Santa Claus.

Play the freaking games.  Enjoy.  Talk about em the next day.

Edited by slorch

17 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Yeah, the article touches on that some with a quote or two from players, saying it's cool to be involved in charity stuff.

I feel like this was an introductory overview for people who don't follow CFB too closely. See my previous post, where you can read the article in full.

This. I thought it was a good primer on NIL and highlighting how the 4 CFP teams are all taking slightly different approaches. It also does a pretty good job of describing some of the challenges of the new frontier. Like anything new, NIL is going to evolve and will likely look different in 5 years, 10 years, etc as schools think of new and innovative ways to compensate athletes. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

I wish this was a complete joke but FSU is already talking about private equity partnerships. Foreign sovereign wealth funds is a short step from there. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, royiv said:

This. I thought it was a good primer on NIL and highlighting how the 4 CFP teams are all taking slightly different approaches. It also does a pretty good job of describing some of the challenges of the new frontier. Like anything new, NIL is going to evolve and will likely look different in 5 years, 10 years, etc as schools think of new and innovative ways to compensate athletes. 

and those at the top seek ways to regulate and control it.  Hell, that's all Saban does is bad-talk NIL or talk around his opposition to it as if it is a landmine.  He's hardly alone in that camp.  Parity is about 698th on their list of goals.

Edited by slorch

5 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

I wish this was a complete joke but FSU is already talking about private equity partnerships. Foreign sovereign wealth funds is a short step from there. 

saudi money >>>>>>> every school in the ncaa 

the saudis would get a much better return on fsu than LIV 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, slorch said:

and those at the top seek ways to regulate and control it.  Hell, that's all Saban does is bad-talk NIL or talk around his opposition to it as if it is a landmine.  He's hardly alone in that camp.  Parity is about 698th on their list of goals.

Well, no shit. It's not like gamesmanship off the field hasn't been part of sports since forever.

4 minutes ago, royiv said:

Well, no shit. It's not like gamesmanship off the field hasn't been part of sports since forever.

The point was that some schools are actively trying to LIMIT the creativity in NIL that you mentioned.  You know, the part that was bolded in the quote.

Edited by slorch