NYT Pisses on CFP: “The Best Teams That Money Could Buy”

Bama Llama

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

The point was that some schools are actively trying to LIMIT the creativity in NIL that you mentioned.  You know, the part that was bolded in the quote.

Again, no shit. That's nothing new to the sport. There are always going to be people resistant to change and try to gain power with control. You're not making some earth shattering point here. It's not like there was unanimous support for NIL in the first place.

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

I learned something new today:

"Here is how platforms die: first, they are good to their users; then they abuse their users to make things better for their business customers; finally, they abuse those business customers to claw back all the value for themselves. Then, they die. I call this enshittification, and it is a seemingly inevitable consequence arising from the combination of the ease of changing how a platform allocates value, combined with the nature of a "two sided market", where a platform sits between buyers and sellers, hold each hostage to the other, raking off an ever-larger share of the value that passes between them."

I learned it from imma in the state of shaggy thread on 9.95.

6 minutes ago, royiv said:

Again, no shit. That's nothing new to the sport. There are always going to be people resistant to change and try to gain power with control. You're not making some earth shattering point here. It's not like there was unanimous support for NIL in the first place.

you are arguing with yourself.

nice.

My post was an additional point to yours, not opposing. 

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

What does this even mean? Are you implying that due to their wealthy alumni base, they’d immediately become a powerhouse? We have quite a wealthy alumni base as well, many of which already care a shit ton about sports, but most of them still don’t contribute. It’d take a generation or two for a school like Harvard to begin competing in this space like the schools that already have an active fan base.

Basically...

17 minutes ago, troph said:

Dunno. But analogous to a salary cap. With real enforcement. 

Labor isn't what I'm worried about so much, although if the powers can screw them over w/o penalty they will. I don't think the officials/donors/investors care for the "have skills can transfer" part of the current system, so I wonder how long that will last? Money laundering, not with the top teams but with the lower tier programs, seems like a stronger and dangerous risk--especially if outside entities get involved (private investors/foreign agencies/et. al).

2 hours ago, YChang said:

Along that though exercise, what if an institution like Harvard decided they care about sports?

They do.  They field 40 varsity sports, and I'd be surprised if any of them were in the black revenue-wise.

image.thumb.png.47df46f0a7e22097dfb5f146cc4874ea.png

Would you be so kind as to post a link to this claim?

2 hours ago, Vermin said:

Something like 25% of all US journalists work for the Times. Even if you don't read it, it's very influential to politicians so it matters.

If it's true (and I doubt it is) what conclusion would you draw from that?  Maybe it's because they are one of the few information sources committed to paying a staff of reporters instead of reprinting from the AP or Reuters. 

Or you could just get all your news from Facebook.  

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, troph said:

Dunno. But analogous to a salary cap. With real enforcement. 

Salary caps can only exist under a true cartel arrangement. Those arrangements are only possible in pro sports because the league structures sit above the teams and have special antitrust exemptions granted by Congress. 

1) The big boys of CFB aren’t going to let anyone dictate to them, much less impose parity. 

2) The NCAA created NIL to organize a system that already existed as a Black Market. It’s recognition of reality rather than an exercise of power. 

3) Lack of parity is one of the things that makes college sports so great. Low expectations and high upside incentivize Have Not programs to take risks. Think 1970s BYU, Air Raid at Kentucky and Texas Tech or the Spread rushing attack at WVU. 

52 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

...Lack of parity is one of the things that makes college sports so great. Low expectations and high upside incentivize Have Not programs to take risks. Think 1970s BYU, Air Raid at Kentucky and Texas Tech or the Spread rushing attack at WVU. 

Bobby Bowden and FSU are good examples of this with their play anybody, anytime, anywhere mindset while building up their program back before they joined the ACC. 

I think in the end competition is what breeds the innovation. everyone wants to win. maybe NIL will be better than before because it's legal and nothing is needed, I think in a vacuum I would think the 10 programs that can out spend will and that could be bad for football. Early results show this season to be the most competitive in many, many years. that's good. will it stay that way? or will talent further concentrate? I want what's good for the athletes and the sport. that's about all I really have to say about it.

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

Salary caps can only exist under a true cartel arrangement. Those arrangements are only possible in pro sports because the league structures sit above the teams and have special antitrust exemptions granted by Congress. 

1) The big boys of CFB aren’t going to let anyone dictate to them, much less impose parity. 

2) The NCAA created NIL to organize a system that already existed as a Black Market. It’s recognition of reality rather than an exercise of power. 

3) Lack of parity is one of the things that makes college sports so great. Low expectations and high upside incentivize Have Not programs to take risks. Think 1970s BYU, Air Raid at Kentucky and Texas Tech or the Spread rushing attack at WVU. 

Point 3 is completely non sequitur. High-school is by far the most experimental. It is the lack of pressure that allows experimentation.

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

Nice to see the cloak room morons stepping into the football board.

Everything is political.

Not joking about some of their perspectives.  You are a threat.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

They are multiplying and have infested the Fiesta Bowl thread as well.

Just popped over there and skimmed the last page and think the 3rd word I read was "christiofascist"... thanks Liberty...

flame thrower fire GIF

Edited by Evil Bill Obrien
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 4

On 12/31/2023 at 11:12 AM, LonghornBreeder said:

Post a synopsis so we don't have to click through to that rag.

On 12/31/2023 at 11:19 AM, TxTower said:
On 12/31/2023 at 11:04 AM, Bama Llama said:
The Times was once a good source of in depth journalism.
FIFY

On 12/31/2023 at 11:22 AM, horn_of_the_morning said:

What?!!! NYT indulging in sketchy journalism by taking random data points to spin a narrative? I would have never guessed!

Look how the smug reporter implies that Texas recruited OL Class only because of $50K per year. Flood handled it well, imo.

On 12/31/2023 at 11:36 AM, TOR said:

Fuck the nyt.

On 12/31/2023 at 12:10 PM, Zeus said:

Nobody cares or reads the New York Times

On 12/31/2023 at 12:43 PM, pearlandhorn said:

NYTimes? lol

On 12/31/2023 at 1:19 PM, USNALonghorn said:

People still take NYT seriously?

On 12/31/2023 at 1:31 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

IMG-0149.jpg
                     IMG-0150.jpg

On 12/31/2023 at 2:12 PM, 66BUFF said:

Does anybody else toss around neg rep like Witherspoon

REACTIONS GIVEN

Fuck You 498149

2 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Nice to see the cloak room morons stepping into the football board.

1 hour ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Im Not No Way GIF

51 minutes ago, LonghornBreeder said:

The way Witherspoon is passing neg rep out on this thread, she must be in NYT's pocket. Was she in the by line of that article?

41 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

They are multiplying and have infested the Fiesta Bowl thread as well.

38 minutes ago, slorch said:

Everything is political.

Not joking about some of their perspectives.  You are a threat.

2 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Just popped over there and skimmed the last page and think the 3rd word I read was "christiofascist"... thanks Liberty...

flame thrower fire GIF

A lot of idiocy here.  Par for the course on the football board.  The article is fair, and anyone denigrating The NY Times without actually reading the article brought in politics all by their lonesome.  Then again, maybe reading is too hard a task for these posters.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 9

Posted (edited)

Not bad for a whining elitist cunt.

My post didn't even besmirch your little newspaper.  Your behavior confirms the post  is absolutely true.

Edited by slorch

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

A lot of idiocy here.  Par for the course on the football board.  The article is fair, and anyone denigrating The NY Times without actually reading the article brought in politics all by their lonesome.  Then again, maybe reading is too hard a task for these posters.  

Thanks for posting on this thread so that we can return the favor of giving you an unwarranted neg that you so freely give to everyone you disagree with.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

image.thumb.png.a6d2972632d32e70d7281a0fd6ee0458.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

No. The OP implied that the article was clickbate and - based on my experience w NYT sports writing - I believe it is.

Why should I reward clickbate with a click?

Go back to the travel board or lurk politely. Journalists making money off of their opinions don't need your protection.

• Hook 'Em 4

Is it really "exploitation" when you're following the rules? Wow we paid a player $50,000 so he could sign autographs and take photos at St David's newborn ICU wing. No issue with using marker on their forehead but major issue with donor tax write offs. I mean they really want you to believe that NIL was all about stuff like this https://www.fanatics.com/college/texas-longhorns/texas-longhorns-gameday-greats-nil-pick-a-player-football-fashion-jersey-texas-orange/o-38+t-80138670+p-943497815951+z-9-2709069566?_ref=p-DLP:m-GRID:i-r2c0:po-6

On 12/31/2023 at 10:43 AM, tx 3 putt said:

A thought : who’s going to be the first school to try to go all in with the saudis ?

ncaa championships across all sports 

FSU once they figure out they can't really afford to leave the ACC and it's not close. The great Seminole-Saudi partnership of early summer 2024 is something I look forward to laughing at.

47 minutes ago, GeorgeLaw said:

Have any of you complaining about the article even read it?  It is well researched, well written and informative. 
Thank you New York Times. 

People who brag about not reading aren't usually the most intellectually gifted.

• Hook 'Em 1