2024 Rain Thread: All Your El Nino Are Belong to Us

So where we gonna end up for January at Camp Mabry compared to historical averages?  Seems like we're dry into February but we're ahead of the game so far.  I don't have those fancy pants data gatherin' tools some of y'all do, though.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

So where we gonna end up for January at Camp Mabry compared to historical averages?  Seems like we're dry into February but we're ahead of the game so far.  I don't have those fancy pants data gatherin' tools some of y'all do, though.

• Hook 'Em 3

Delta Delta Delta.  Can I clap ya, clap ya, clap ya?  Shit's getting real here in near SW Austin.  Good start to 2024 in terms of moisture, or so South Austin's mom has explained to me.  

Hopefully, we still get some free baseball tomorrow afternoon.  Hook 'em fuckers! 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think this was discussed in last year's rain thread and saw an update.

The Watershed Association and Trinity Edwards Springs Protection Association held a community meeting to present data they say proves that Aqua Texas excessively pumped groundwater from local sources including Jacob’s Well in recent years.

“They agreed to those curtailments but then they they ignored them and violated those rules,” David Baker, executive director of the Watershed Association said.

https://www.kxan.com/news/wimberley-water-agencies-prepare-to-act-against-aqua-texas-for-alleged-violations/

• Rage+1 2

13 hours ago, texasdago said:

Drove back to Austin taking back roads from Bulverde today and it was great to see a lot of standing water and flowing Greeks

Which roads did you take.

Haven’t ever seen any meander keys in the Texas hill country…. But I am usually taking 281 to 290 from San Antonio.

spacer.png

• Haha 2

This morning's storm seemed like it ended in Round Rock. With the way they were talking about the potential for hail, I'm not heartbroken.

We're ahead on rainfall until mid-March, which is nice. Also, temps are coming down a little bit in the week ahead, which is also nice. Been a really warm February.

image.png.bb64e81a4caa14ff3ec308b6099dd356.png

47 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Haven’t ever seen any meander keys in the Texas hill country…. But I am usually taking 281 to 290 from San Antonio.

spacer.png

You keep taking 281 to 290. 

5 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

spacer.png

Very few people are aware of the involvement of the Hellenic civilization in the Hill country.

But 281 to 306 north of Canyon Lake with a jog over to 32 along the devil's backbone past new Thessalonia to 12, jog at Wimberley to Hays City Store then up to Driftwood and then 1826 to the Peloponnese of Texas

Edited by texasdago
  • Haha 2

Apropos of little, early Saturday morning we had two lightning strikes near 360/2222 that were almost as loud as any I've ever heard.  I knew they weren't right at our house just because the light preceded the sound by a fraction of a second, so I didn't have to check trees/roof/etc., but holy shit it was loud.  Impressive.  Mother Nature, you scary.   @hornian must have heard them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Apropos of little, early Saturday morning we had two lightning strikes near 360/2222 that were almost as loud as any I've ever heard.  I knew they weren't right at our house just because the light preceded the sound by a fraction of a second, so I didn't have to check trees/roof/etc., but holy shit it was loud.  Impressive.  Mother Nature, you scary.   @hornian must have heard them.

Yeah, heard it for sure. My dog about hit the roof. 

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Saw and heard it.  I was at a soccer game at Lamar Middle School at the time.  The bolt was horizontal which was odd. 

Ah, the old lightning delay.  I was always tempted to just take my kid home.

15 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Saw and heard it.  I was at a soccer game at Lamar Middle School at the time.  The bolt was horizontal which was odd. 

Jack, “could you launch a lightning bolt horizontally?”

Skip, “Well sure.  But why would you want to?”

• Like 1

We got hail 3 different times Sat/Sun in Hewitt/Waco area.  First about 2:30PM, then later around 10pm, again around 2am Sunday morning.  I bet we got close to 3 inches if not more in the 3 waves of storms.  I was also fairly hammered past 7:00, so I may be completely talking out of my ass.  

9 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

We got hail 3 different times Sat/Sun in Hewitt/Waco area.  First about 2:30PM, then later around 10pm, again around 2am Sunday morning.  I bet we got close to 3 inches if not more in the 3 waves of storms.  I was also fairly hammered past 7:00, so I may be completely talking out of my ass.  

Yeah, those February storms are known for hail /s

It's wild. These storms have been like springtime stuff.

22 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Time to crank up the blastfurnace thread:

image.thumb.png.923e0fe16471b4d9c27b9e8249829e08.png

Just noticed that on the extended forecast. Cold and dreary Friday and Saturday, then cool and sunny for a few days, but after that, it looks like Winter all but vanishes. Supposed to hit 80 next Wednesday and Thursday. And then finish out the month with a bunch of mostly dry days in the mid 70's.

I don't necessarily mind Spring starting a little early, but Summer better mind its fucking business and stay in its lane until Memorial Day. 

Edited by Storm the Field

7 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Just noticed that on the extended forecast. Cold and dreary Friday and Saturday, then cool and sunny for a few days, but after that, it looks like Winter all but vanishes. Supposed to hit 80 next Wednesday and Thursday. And then finish out the month with a bunch of mostly dry days in the mid 70's.

I don't necessarily mind Spring starting a little early, but Summer better mind its fucking business and stay in its lane until Memorial Day. 

Too lazy to look it up but didn't something similar happen before either the snow storm or treemagedon?