CFP Semifinal: Texas vs Washington - 7:45pm on ESPN

Pancho

Just now, Codaxx said:

J Whitt has a hold that negated a big play. He was fine, but didnt so anything special. Baxter and Blue did not have an A game. They were not breaking tackles left and right. Most of the yards they got were based on blocking and Washington playing back. Blue had a big drop that might have been a TD and an unforced fumble. Saying he was an A, is baffling. 

yeah, 2 game changing fumbles can't be an A.  B's for both.  neither of those fumbles happen I think we win.  we scored a TD after the Blue drop but it was a bad drop at the time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Eggo said:

After sleeping on it, I feel more in awe of Washington's offensive execution than anger at our failures. Penix would have won the Heisman if he had consistently played like he played last night. 

Yep. If Washington played in a dome for their home games, he easily wins it. Playing in the PNW in the fall, slows down the offense at times. There were some games where Penix looked terrible for awhile. They ended up getting the win but he was nowhere near what he was last night. Kudos to him, he finished the season with 2 big games. Underdogs in both and one was a double digit underdog to an Oregon team he already beat. All the talk was what is going to happen if Oregon wins the Pac 12 champ game. So many pushed Washington to the side. Then were underdogs again last night in terms of Vegas.

They play in a dome again next week for all the marbles. I expect him to have another big game. Harbaugh has to see how Texas got away from the run too early and correct that. Harbaugh will run 60 times if he needs to. He has zero issues doing so. I wish we stuck with the run in the 1st half.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

J-Whitt had an A+ game, Baxter and Blue had A games, even with the fumbles. Steve only started pounding the run during the 4th even though Baxter and Blue averaged 7.1 for Baxter and 6.6 for Blue. 

Defense were embarrassed, and I don't mean that as a slight. Penix and his WR's were easily the best QB and WR'S we saw and it isn't close. He was uncannily accurate, and his WR's were catching literally everything, especially Pollk and Oduzne. Oduzne made some of the most insane catches I've seen in a long while. We ran into a buzz saw. Penix was dropping balls into baskets, and Oduzne made this one catch that I still can't believe (Penix dropped it perfectly low into his hands. It was crazy. 

those averages are great but the two fumbles fucked it all up.

1 minute ago, Eggo said:

After sleeping on it, I feel more in awe of Washington's offensive execution than anger at our failures. Penix would have won the Heisman if he had consistently played like he played last night. 

They executed well, but we knew going into this game that their WRs vs our DBs was a mismatch. We lost the turnover battle, too, and STILL had a chance to win at the end.

I absolutely LOVE that this team kept fighting in every game this year, now matter how bad things looked. Seriously... after that second fumble, you'd given up hope, hadn't you? So had I. But the team didn't, and we almost beat a team that was, on this night, better than us.

Anyway, fuck everything I just said. Losing sucks ass and there's no such thing as a moral victory. You CAN learn after a loss, though... just make sure you learn the right lesson. And the right lesson to learn is: We need better DB athlete croots to replace our current starters and to keep the DL machine going.

And I'm so ready for a couple of guys on our OL to graduate.

• Hook 'Em 5

42 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

J Whitt has a hold that negated a big play. He was fine, but didnt so anything special. Baxter and Blue did not have an A game. They were not breaking tackles left and right. Most of the yards they got were based on blocking and Washington playing back. Blue had a big drop that might have been a TD and an unforced fumble. Saying he was an A, is baffling. 

You don't think that catch to get us in the RZ wasn't special? A hold knocks him down? No, it doesn't. J-Whitt did everything he could. He blocked his ass off, made a spectacular catch that should have helped seal the win. Yes, Blue had a fumble, but he made critical runs at 6-7 yards a pop. Saying he wasn't an A is baffling. How do you think RB'S get their yards? By the line blocking... They did what they were supposed to do...get great yardage from blocking, because that's what they're supposed to do. He and Baxter both had rushing TD's, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. You're dinging him for a fumble, which is fair, but every other part of his and Baxter's game were A's. The line blocked for them and they got major positive yards and both scored. That's an A, especially considering Ewers only threw for 1 TD

Edited by Spider2YBanana
Spelling is whack, yo
  • Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep. If Washington played in a dome for their home games, he easily wins it. Playing in the PNW in the fall, slows down the offense at times. There were some games where Penix looked terrible for awhile. They ended up getting the win but he was nowhere near what he was last night. Kudos to him, he finished the season with 2 big games. Underdogs in both and one was a double digit underdog to an Oregon team he already beat. All the talk was what is going to happen if Oregon wins the Pac 12 champ game. So many pushed Washington to the side. Then were underdogs again last night in terms of Vegas.

They play in a dome again next week for all the marbles. I expect him to have another big game. Harbaugh has to see how Texas got away from the run too early and correct that. Harbaugh will run 60 times if he needs to. He has zero issues doing so. I wish we stuck with the run in the 1st half.

Well, I don't think Washington is going to defend Michigan like it defended us. Those runs came because Washington was generally only playing with 6 or 7 in the box. I really wish we had a truly healthy Worthy to throw to. He didn't have anywhere near his usual burst. 

5 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

You don't think that catch to get us in the RZ wasn't special? A hold knocks him down? No, it doesn't. J-Whitt did everything he could. He blocked his ass off, made a spectacular catch that should have helped seal the win. Yes, Blue had a fumble, but he made criticle runs at 6-7 yards a pop. Saying he wasn't an A is baffling. How do you think RB'S get their yards? By the line blocking... They did what they were supposed to do...get great yardage from blocking, because that's what they're supposed to do. He and Baxter both had rushing TD's, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. You're dinging him for a fumble, which is fair, but every other part of his and Baxter's game were A's. The line blocked for them and they got major positive yards and both scored. That's an A, especially considering Ewers only threw for 1 TD

No. I did not think that was special. Ewers almost ran for as much as Blue. His scrambles were huge. He accounted for 372 yards in the game.  When all the RBs are running for more the 6 yards a pop, perhaps it is more about Washington's game plan and the OL then the RBs. Mostly getting what the OL blocks for you is not an A performance. An A performance is consistently getting, than what the the OL blocks for you. Go back and watch Bijan, to figure out my point.  When a player has a bad turnover and a bad drop that could have been a TD, an A is baffling. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Big XII champs and CFP participant in the 3rd year of Sark's tenure.  I can live with that.  

Last night is good checkpoint on where we need to improve (and where we have needed to improve through out this year).

Jimbo would agree.

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

No. I did not think that was special. Ewers almost ran for as much as Blue. His scrambles were huge. He accounted for 372 yards in the game.  When all the RBs are running for more the 6 yards a pop, perhaps it is more about Washington's game plan and the OL then the RBs. Mostly getting what the OL blocks for you is not an A performance. An A performance is consistently getting, than what the the OL blocks for you. Go back and watch Bijan, to figure out my point.  When a player has a bad turnover and a bad drop that could have been a TD, an A is baffling. 

not when you're wanting to blame other people

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

He is probably one of the guys I would give a B grade. That is my point. Nobody had their best game vs Washington. No special catches or runs.. 

blue gets a B. His catch to the 12 was money. He ran well, he’s the starter going into the spring. Take away the fumble he’s an A. Yes he had that drop but we had to go to the RB in passing way more than normal due to the defensive scheme. RBs are gonna miss a few. He was one lucky break from taking the check down on first and 12 to the 5. Guy balled. He got better the last few games. I’m super confident in him next year.

• Hook 'Em 1

Harbaugh has to see how Texas got away from the run too early and correct that.

I keep seeing this point of view and I don’t understand it.

The second drive of the third quarter is the only one where this plausibly could have affected the outcome, but a penalty put us in 2nd and long so it really isn’t that hard to comprehend the play calls.

Aside from the obvious clock issues that came into play being down 10+ in the 4th, we had 7 passing plays over 15 yards in the final quarter. Sure, we were running the ball well, but “abandoning the run” was not a reason we lost.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, troph said:

blue gets a B. His catch to the 12 was money. He ran well, he’s the starter going into the spring. Take away the fumble he’s an A. Yes he had that drop but we had to go to the RB in passing way more than normal due to the defensive scheme. RBs are gonna miss a few. He was one lucky break from taking the check down on first and 12 to the 5. Guy balled. He got better the last few games. I’m super confident in him next year.

He had one really good play. It was a swing pass, where he juked some guy out of his jock strap. The catch on the 12 was a better pass, than a catch. It was almost identical to the earlier drop. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

No. I did not think that was special. Ewers almost ran for as much as Blue. When all the RBs are running for more the 6 yards a pop, perhaps it is more about Washington's game plan and the OL then the RBs. Mostly getting what the OL blocks for you is not an A performance. An A performance is consistently getting, than what the the OL blocks for you. Go back and watch Bijan, to figure out my point.  When a player has a bad turnover and a bad drop that could have been a TD, an A is baffling. 

Bijan is a generational talent, so no, we can't compare him to anyone. An A performance is consistently getting what the OL blocks for you...that's exactly what Blue and Baxter did. They got what the O-line gave them, thus the A performance. But I will relent and say a B performance due to the fumbles, but they get an A for getting the yards the line blocked for them. That's what a good RB does. Bijan, again, was/is a freak who cannot be co.oared to anyone other than Ricky Williams. But yeah, B for the fumbles, an A for getting yards. Believe it or not, a lot of high level FBS RB's don't  get those kind of yards. Who cares if Washington helped? That's what the RB'S are supposed to do when given the opportunities. And their D-line was really solid, and Blue and Baxter still got their yards and TD'S. 

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Bijan is a generational talent, so no, we can't compare him to anyone. An A performance is consistently getting what the OL blocks for you...that's exactly what Blue and Baxter did. They got what the O-line gave them, thus the A performance. But I will relent and say a B performance due to the fumbles, but they get an A for getting the yards the line blocked for them. That's what a good RB does. Bijan, again, was/is a freak who cannot be co.oared to anyone other than Ricky Williams. But yeah, B for the fumbles, an A for getting yards. Believe it or not, a lot of high level FBS RB's don't  get those kind of yards. Who cares if Washington helped? That's what the RB'S are supposed to do when given the opportunities. And their D-line was really solid, and Blue and Baxter still got their yards and TD'S. 

getting what the OL blocks for you in college, gets you a job as an insurance salesman. Its not an A.. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

getting what the OL blocks for you in college, gets you a job as an insurance salesman. Its not an A.. 

You're assuming it's commonplace with both RB'S getting their yards like that. It's not. High level RB'S get those yards, but there are many Le'veon Moss's out there. More than there are high level Blue and Baxter's. And again, I'll give them a B for the fumbles, but an A for getting the yards the line gave them. They're not average backs, and they have both shown that during the season. 

Ewers didn't have his best game last night but it was certainly far from bad.  The team lost twice this year. In each, they scored 30+ points but also committed 5 turnovers and let left-handed 6th-year QBs carve them the fuck up.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Still the craziest play of the night:

eSpN missed perhaps the greatest opportunity in human history to post “sorry for partying”

im wondering which poor surly bastard woke up with her, still drunk, 90 minutes ago, looked at her exposed nipple drooping off the side of the bed, and mumbled to her snoring ass, “hey, I know you from The TV”

• Like 1

Ewers didn't have his best game last night but it was certainly far from bad.  The team lost twice this year. In each, they scored 30+ points but also committed 5 turnovers and let left-handed 6th-year QBs carve them the fuck up.  

This is a good take.

I gotta say I think UW has a great chance against Michigan. Yea Michigan beat the shit out of alabamas line but so did Texas. If UW, and specifically their OL, plays at all like they did last night Michigan is going to have a very hard time keeping up with that offense.
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

He had one really good play. It was a swing pass, where he juked some guy out of his jock strap. The catch on the 12 was a better pass, than a catch. It was almost identical to the earlier drop. 

Agree to disagree. Blue gets a CFB grade of B. Bijan wasn’t A+ he was Penix level out of this world. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Texas didn't bring their A game, but they did everything necessary to win. The D held when it needed to. The O got the ball to the 15. That's where the loss occurred. Sark got us to the desert tray, but didn't let the big dog eat. Terrible play calls. We should have scored and it would have been one of the greatest comebacks in UT history - maybe even in all of college football. Sark went blind when the chips were down. He needs an OC, or at least someone to bounce plays off of or discuss strategy, especially in situations like that.

He had a great year and hopefully learned a thing or two going forward. I will probably get over this loss in next year or so. 

Afterthought - How long was VYs scramble to the end zone against USC. If we'd been on the left hash mark last night and Quinn had rolled right, and if the receivers had cleared a path for him...

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Texas didn't bring their A game, but they did everything necessary to win. The D held when it needed to. The O got the ball to the 15. That's where the loss occurred. Sark got us to the desert tray, but didn't let the big dog eat. Terrible play calls. We should have scored and it would have been one of the greatest comebacks in UT history - maybe even in all of college football. Sark went blind when the chips were down. He needs an OC, or at least someone to bounce plays off of or discuss strategy, especially in situations like that.

He had a great year and hopefully learned a thing or two going forward. I will probably get over this loss in next year or so. 

Yeah, Sark needs an OC. There's so much a HC has on his plate that he has to think about, he needs someone else to help take some of the load off and bounce ideas off of. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I think the limitations from the 12 yard line have been mentioned above (don’t remember who) but X hurt, can’t run, can’t go to the middle, risk of a pass block and can’t take a sack made the play calling extraordinarily difficult. Need to score there and that’s on sark and the boys to execute but it’s not as easy from the 12 as it looks. It’s why I wasn’t upset about the check down to blue because he gets to the 4-5 then we have a lot more plays we can run. Full circle, $7-8m a year score the fucking touchdown. 

• Hook 'Em 3

54 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Harbaugh has to see how Texas got away from the run too early and correct that. Harbaugh will run 60 times if he needs to. He has zero issues doing so. I wish we stuck with the run in the 1st half.

F'ing this.  To see WA attack Texas' weakness and to not reciprocate was malpractice on the coaching staff.  It was as if the team trotted out a roadmap of each play for each series and never deviated from it, despite all the evidence of what was working and what was not.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Afterthought - How long was VYs scramble to the end zone against USC. If we'd been on the left hash mark last night and Quinn had rolled right, and if the receivers had cleared a path for him...

4th and 5.

You can’t scramble from the 12 unless you get out of bounds and that’s likely after 4-5 seconds looking for a pass, that takes 15 seconds easily.

i think people assume passing from the 12 with a back boundary 22 yards away is no different than 2 plays from the 5 yard line. It’s not. VY scramble case in point. Honestly with 2nd from the 4-5 yard line there is way way more available for sark. I think we score from the 4-6 yard line had blue made one guy miss on first.

Edited by troph

51 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

that's where we missed JB.  dude broke tackles and turned 5 yarders into 15 yarders.

the fumbles cost us 10 points. Wash gets 3 off Baxters and we are going to score a TD if Blue doesn't fumble because we have time to run the ball in the red zone.

we failed in the RZ at the end because Sark didn't want to waste time running.  

• Hook 'Em 1

F'ing this.  To see WA attack Texas' weakness and to not reciprocate was malpractice on the coaching staff.  It was as if the team trotted out a roadmap of each play for each series and never deviated from it, despite all the evidence of what was working and what was not.  

Before the final drive, our previous 6 possessions resulted in 3 scores, 2 fumbles, and a punt. In real time I agree that it felt like we needed to run the ball more, but in hindsight our second half plan worked very well.
  • Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

The ball was snapped from the 9, VY was in shotgun and got the ball at the 13, dropped back to the 15 and ran the ball in.

FC3B643C-0ED0-4120-85D8-EF47E724846A.gif.a55ef5da7f3c204f7b4d69e543238508.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Before the final drive, our previous 6 possessions resulted in 3 scores, 2 fumbles, and a punt. In real time I agree that it felt like we needed to run the ball more, but in hindsight our second half plan worked very well.

Don’t fumble the ball and we are running more. Sark said that was the plan until we fell behind by 2 scores.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

I love Jwhitt, but what the fuck was that celebration after his last catch?  Clock is temporarily stopped, get on the ball and ready to go. The Texas sideline was yelling the same to him.  

The ball was in his hands. It didn't hurt the team. If anything it gave the team time to get down field before the ball was set.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrBig said:

The ball was snapped from the 9, VY was in shotgun and got the ball at the 13, dropped back to the 15 and ran the ball in.

FC3B643C-0ED0-4120-85D8-EF47E724846A.gif.a55ef5da7f3c204f7b4d69e543238508.gif

I was wrong. It was 5 yards to the first down. Ewers isn’t making that. Maybe from the 5 yard line. Not from the 9 or 12, no way.

1 minute ago, bar said:

The ball was in his hands. It didn't hurt the team. If anything it gave the team time to get down field before the ball was set.

Hadn't really thought of that.  So the refs can't/won't grab another ball and set it up and start the clock?  I ask because if that's the case it should be standard for anybody running the 2 minute drill to do an extended celebration after each first down.

1 minute ago, Not a cat said:

Hadn't really thought of that.  So the refs can't/won't grab another ball and set it up and start the clock?  I ask because if that's the case it should be standard for anybody running the 2 minute drill to do an extended celebration after each first down.

No idea, I was thinking he should hustle as well and not celebrate but saw the clock was stopped. He then jogged with it towards the ref rather than just tossing it. Seemed smart to me.

• Hook 'Em 1

GOD DAMMIT … INCHES FROM A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. 
200.gif
I was already in the mindset when Washington had the ball trying to run the clock out that the game was over. Even when their player got hurt to stop the clock, my mindset hadn't changed.
Then we get 4 chances from the 12 and my anxiety is through the roof. Up pacing and yelling at the TV. Then.....another let down.
I felt like we lost twice.
Hell of a run and looking forward to next season against SEC teams.
  • Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

All true, but I was more concerned about starting the game and gaining control of the pace and tempo.  Early drives quickly stalled out.  In fact, the first drive of the game, it's 3rd and 15, and Baxter converts.  That was the lightbulb moment for me.  We seemed to have a script that Sark wanted to stick to.  

11 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

I was already in the mindset when Washington had the ball trying to run the clock out that the game was over. Even when their player got hurt to stop the clock, my mindset hadn't changed.
Then we get 4 chances from the 12 and my anxiety is through the roof. Up pacing and yelling at the TV. Then.....another let down.
I felt like we lost twice.
Hell of a run and looking forward to next season against SEC teams.

I'm still hungover.....

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

432”

but much fewer if you guess the distance needed for Mitchell to make that catch. 

shit he times it a tad different he might make it. get the DPI call and it's an untimed down from the 2. game of inches. tons coulda been done differently but a chance from the 12 with 1 second. I mean that's as close as it gets.

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

That wasn't the call. It was a drop off under pressure. 

I'm about ready to quit this place again at least for a few weeks until the coulda, woulda, shoulda talk dies down.  reminds me of my mom last night, we had my inlaws over and she turned to me after they left (half time of the Rose Bowl) and said about my BIL, "he doesn't know much about Texas football, does he?" I said, "no mom, not everyone reads surly."

Edited by troph
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

That wasn't the call. It was a drop off under pressure. 

But Quinn faked the toss to Blue then immediately threw it to Blue right after.  Never even looked anywhere else on the field.  Plus there wasn't much pressure at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, OU Sucks said:

But Quinn faked the toss to Blue then immediately threw it to Blue right after.  Never even looked anywhere else on the field.  Plus there wasn't much pressure at all.

Because the first two reads were covered up based on defensive alignment.

• Hook 'Em 4

• immamac unpinned this topic