2024 Off-Season Thread

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What would one do with a Geography degree? I think I'm kind of stunned that that degree exists these days. I have a 10 year old who is quite gifted in geography and I always tell him that that talent will be worthless outside of trivia night at his local dive bar.

I am of the opinion that all degrees are helpful. Some will earn you way more money than others. I have a family member that has been successful in business after dropping out after two years of college and has a kid that did not go to college at all and was being defensive. He said I did X, Y and Z and all I got is high school and asked did you learn those X, Y and Z skills in college or in high school. He said the two skills that really helped him to get started he learned in his two years in college. Now the ROI may not be worth it these days but in our day even a couple of years of college had a nice ROI.

I rather they give the better projected starter the spring reps because the other side of the coin is that we lose a great player to the portal because the better player knows he should have overtaken the player in front of him on the depth chart. Just like losing coaches is a good thing losing players because they lost their starting position will be a good thing.  It will hurt depth but I rather not risk the better player.

Its thoughts like these that crack me up yet have me shaking my head.

First, I’d assume the spring will get lots of reps to lots of guys. I’m pretty certain we’ve read references that Flood will move guys around for those reps too.

Then we’re talking about a better projected starter. Based on what? Are we talking about Neto and/or Hudson that have never proven they are better in game? And they’re only one year apart, right? Here’s a thought - how about the incumbent up their level of play.

It’s also entirely possible the staff values a bit more reliability in pass protection at that spot since that’s where Campbell struggles. We’re playing to win so playing time will be made with that in mind whether that looks like you think it should or not.

6 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Its thoughts like these that crack me up yet have me shaking my head.

First, I’d assume the spring will get lots of reps to lots of guys. I’m pretty certain we’ve read references that Flood will move guys around for those reps too.

Then we’re talking about a better projected starter. Based on what? Are we talking about Neto and/or Hudson that have never proven they are better in game? And they’re only one year apart, right? Here’s a thought - how about the incumbent up their level of play.

It’s also entirely possible the staff values a bit more reliability in pass protection at that spot since that’s where Campbell struggles. We’re playing to win so playing time will be made with that in mind whether that looks like you think it should or not.

Somebody else made the assessment my response was if you really believe that someone is much better than the starter than why would you leave spring practice having the better player think he is a backup. Read the post I responded too before making a comment that does not apply to the context of the conversation.

200.gif
I don't know about the rest of you, but after looking at the pics, watching a few vids and reading some 9.95'er articles I'm having trouble locating a single loss on our schedule. Can someone help me out here?
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ousux said:

I don't know about the rest of you, but after looking at the pics, watching a few vids and reading some 9.95'er articles I'm having trouble locating a single loss on our schedule. Can someone help me out here?

i-cant-see-it-danny-mullen.gifimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQESbwZumM1AMYJDT4FRY

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, D3zii said:

Hamilton and Burton seemed very pleased. Idk if I’ve seen Bobby try to contain his excitement as hard as in this video. You could tell he loved what he saw!!

"All in all, the reality of it is Texas looked really, really good from a talent standpoint. I'm not sure that I didn't see multiple NFL players at just about every position."

Doubled down later...

"My point being, I think they may have a couple at just about every position."

"I am just very pleased with what I saw, overall. They have the cats to sustain this, even with going to the SEC."

Boner Meter.png

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

What would one do with a Geography degree? I think I'm kind of stunned that that degree exists these days. I have a 10 year old who is quite gifted in geography and I always tell him that that talent will be worthless outside of trivia night at his local dive bar.

Go to graduate school for something else. 

• Like 1

Somebody else made the assessment my response was if you really believe that someone is much better than the starter than why would you leave spring practice having the better player think he is a backup. Read the post I responded too before making a comment that does not apply to the context of the conversation.

My initial comment wasn’t specific to you and only you but was in fact a response to the context of that conversation and not simply your post. I simply did not requote what you quoted. Apologies.

giphy.gif

Holy smokes ... if you want a hit, read on ... 

Spring Practice No. 1 Observations (Tuesday 12:50 p.m. CST)
By Gerry Hamilton / On Texas Football (OTF)

Spoiler

Spring Practice No. 1 Observations (Tuesday 12:50 p.m. CST)
By Gerry Hamilton / On Texas Football (OTF)

4 hours ago
Spring Practice No. 1 Observations

Some random notes and thoughts from the 30 minute media viewing window...

1. The talent level at Texas is that of a program with a consistent chance to be a contender. A lot of likely and potential future NFL draft picks on the field today, spread in all classes. 

2. Ryan Wingo is a dude. That's all. The rest will play out. 

3. Sarkisian really praised Trey Moore in post practice presser. More isn't the guy that wows physically on first look, but he has compact twitch and power in his frame. Much stronger in lower body than a year ago playing at UTSA.

4. Just good to see Colton Vasek on the field again. Looks good physically. Tough for a young guy that was turning some heads early on to be shut down for nearly an entire year. 

5. Jaray Bledsoe's 293-295 pounds is legit. Sark mentioned him after practice in PC.

6. Quinn Ewers looks like a stronger guy. Behind the neck, in the legs. Confident third year starting QB was his look throwing the ball today.

7. Terrance Brooks is really 209 pounds, as listed. Very thick lower body for a corner. He's just about physically tapped out. 

8. Malik Muhammad looks like streamlined second year corner. Very, very good natural build for a corner. He's the guy that is showing Kobe Black the ropes. 

9. Christian Clark has the lower body of an NFL vet at the RB position. That dude is a very powerfully put together 5-11, 210

10. Cedric Baxter Jr. is the same weight as last year - 218. But it's a different 218 now. More cut in upper body, and looks stronger on a longer RB frame.

11. Malik Agbo was third team left guard. Obviously, the jumbo package TE. 

12. Brandon Baker was third team RT ... Daniel Cruz third team center.

13. Kelvin Banks looks like a 1st or 2nd team All-American.

14. Trevor Goosby 2nd at LT with Jaydon Chatman 3rd.

15. If Amari Niblack doesn't run low 4.5 at the NFL Combine I will be surprised. 

16. Jelani McDonald is among the best looking pound for pound athletes in the program, and he's a safety. Looks tremendous physically, especially at that spot. 

17. Savion Red may be closer to 230 than 240, but he's in the area code. 

18. Trey Owens showed quick feet than one would think. Quicker moving feet vs. Maalik Murphy. 

19. Payton Kirkland on the field going through full workout at 4th team left guard. 

20. Freddie Dubose was not going through full workout. 

21. Sydir Mitchell is 370-372. 

22. Jahdae Barron is carrying very good weight. 

23. Jordan Washington is a keeper at TE. All reported measeurables are legit. And he has the flexibility to come off a three-point stance with winning leverage. 

24. T'Vondre Sweat and Johnathan Brooks were on hand. NIL good!

25. DJ Campbell definitely looks 10-12 pounds lighter. Neto Umeozulu and DJ Campbell the quickest/most explosive movers at guard. 

26. I stand by what I have said on the OnTexasFootball YouTube channel... Texas should be a batter team in 2024. Does that mean more W's with the move to the SEC? Can't say that. But a spring portal addition or two away from solidifying the Horns as a top 4 team preseason. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Malik Agbo was third team left guard. Obviously, the jumbo package TE. 

I hope he stays.

Texas should be a batter team in 2024.

Also, looks like the cake is baked.

Edited by Bevo
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Go to law school to to learn ambulance navigation.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

13 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

9 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Hey, the next lawyers on Surly have to major in something. 

Oll Korrekt.

Miz Long's degrees are Drama, then English, then Law.

Whatever works.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This is the closest thing to an answer I can give you: https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/geography/undergraduate-program/alumni-profiles/

But I'm a dumb doctor, so what the fuck do I know?

13 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I know it’s a spring trope but from the pics it really does seem like we have a bunch of guys that are absolutely rocked up. Offseason S&C program been putting in the work. 

Here's a link from 247, has nearly everyone in it individually.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/longformarticle/texas-football-spring-ball-practice-no-1--228959773/#2389415

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I know it’s a spring trope but from the pics it really does seem like we have a bunch of guys that are absolutely rocked up. Offseason S&C program been putting in the work. 

I think it was hugely helpful that we got into the show... and came within one play of being in the Finals. 

Now errbody gets it: if you put in the work - mental AND physical - it will pay off. Not just the kinda-sorta-maybe way every coach in the world puts it, but for real.

Let's get it.

UT geography grad here… GIS is really the main thing in terms of hard career path. Mix some GIS with computer science/data management and you can be valuable in corporate world. Quite a bit of GIS is natural resource/energy related. 

as for me, I’m in real estate and the degree/GIS background has actually been a decent ‘in’ for my career. With that said GIS programming something a smart person could pick up on the side. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

14 minutes ago, bluto said:

UT geography grad here… GIS is really the main thing in terms of hard career path. Mix some GIS with computer science/data management and you can be valuable in corporate world. Quite a bit of GIS is natural resource/energy related. 

as for me, I’m in real estate and the degree/GIS background has actually been a decent ‘in’ for my career. With that said GIS programming something a smart person could pick up on the side. 

hasan minhaj netflix GIF by Patriot Act

Hopefully atttifudes and desires to destroy humans hide bodies and make the other guy quit comes along with the nfl frames 

• Haha 1

I have a buddy who is a geography PhD. He helps build war crimes cases by analyzing imagery to identify mass graves. I have another friend who works on a team to map landslide areas. Obviously, neither job is as important as selling shit, but it pays their bills. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

17 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

I have a buddy who is a geography PhD. He helps build war crimes cases by analyzing imagery to identify mass graves. I have another friend who works on a team to map landslide areas. Obviously, neither job is as important as selling shit, but it pays their bills. 

And, I know a geography grad doing related work in the pipeline industry. 

15 hours ago, closetojumping said:

7 hours ago, bluto said:

My college roommate graduated with a GIS degree. He works in HR now. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluto said:

image.png.993b6730fd88a9d99d9665dc4d25a862.png

• Haha 1