This past weekend I learned

pyrohornIII

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

What’s nuts with the anti-vaccine stuff is that he’s probably old enough to remember people who were affected by polio, among other things we vaccinate for.  But vaccines become evil because dumbfucks on the internet won’t do their own research

In the early days of the polio vaccines there were some incidents with the manufacturing and administration of the shots and the medical community had to work hard to restore trust. Therein lies the difficulty with so much--education and trust go hand in hand, but when both are lost you're back in the Dark Ages.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

What’s nuts with the anti-vaccine stuff is that he’s probably old enough to remember people who were affected by polio, among other things we vaccinate for.  But vaccines become evil because dumbfucks on the internet won’t do their own research

When you've got Florida's Surgeon General attacking mRNA vaccines, that's certainly not helping.  We are well and truly doomed as a country.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This.  I’m lucky I live in NYC.  If I still lived in Texas, my right to bodily autonomy would be gone.

On the football thread, a lot of folks were denigrating The NY Times article without reading it, and I called them out on it.  The article was fair.  It’s not my fault that they decided to express idiotic opinions and cannot handle getting called out for it.  There was nothing remotely political about what I posted,  just calling out stupid in general. 

yes but you're so mean

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

No,  I'm pretty sure they do their own "research "

Most people I know who fall into what people call "anti vaxers" aren't actually anti-vaccine, just anti-covid vaccine. In that I mean, they all still get the seasonal flu vax and have had shingrex for shingles and get the regular stuff. The rushed nature and the legal immunity put a lot of people off versus more traditional and known (read: trusted) vaccinations. 

I think it's not an unpopular position to have been Covid vaxed in the heat of the battle but not feel any need now or moving forward for any boosters, right? That's where I sit at least.

Edited by BeardIP

9 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Most people I know who fall into what people call "anti vaxers" aren't actually anti-vaccine, just anti-covid vaccine. In that I mean, they all still get the seasonal flu vax and have had shingrex for shingles and get the regular stuff.

del-griffith-oh-sure-sure.gif

Edited by jimmyjazz

19 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Most people I know who fall into what people call "anti vaxers" aren't actually anti-vaccine, just anti-covid vaccine. In that I mean, they all still get the seasonal flu vax and have had shingrex for shingles and get the regular stuff. The rushed nature and the legal immunity put a lot of people off versus more traditional and known (read: trusted) vaccinations. 

It would be great if that’s all there was to it, but the problem is that a lot of these people didn’t believe COVID was real in the first place, and Republicans fed on that denial and then later generated fear of the medical establishment.

Even this week, the first week of January, 2024, we have this nonsense that’s meant to scare these people and win political points:

Florida’s top health official called for a halt to using mRNA coronavirusvaccines on Wednesday, contending that the shots could contaminate patients’ DNA — a claim that has been roundly debunked by public health experts, federal officials and the vaccine companies.

Florida Surgeon General Joseph A. Ladapo’s announcement, released as a state bulletin, comes after months of back-and-forth with federal regulators who have repeatedly rebuked his rhetoric around vaccines.Public health experts warn of the dangers of casting doubt on proven lifesaving measures as respiratory viruses surge this winter.

“We’ve seen this pattern from Dr. Ladapo that every few months he raises some new concern and it quickly gets debunked,” said Ashish Jha, dean of Brown University’s public health school who led the White House’s national coronavirus response before stepping down last year.“This idea of DNA fragments — it’s scientific nonsense. People who understand how these vaccines are made and administered understand that there is no risk here.”

It ties back to the OP about people politicizing shit that should not have been politicized.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 3

Fredrickson et al8 found that the most commonly reported reason parents had for refusing one or more vaccines was other people or media reports. Stories in the popular media, such as social media and large-scale news outlets, are often sensationalized to elicit higher ratings and oftentimes spotlight a rare incident in which a child suffers as a result of an unforeseen side effect of a vaccine.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4869767/

"Hell is other people."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

"Hell is other people."

“My doctor said we should vaccinate our kids, but this anonymous person on the internet or this social media celebrity who has no medical background claims that my kids will grow gills if they take it because it rewrites your DNA.  I don’t want fish kids, so Fauci can shove the vaccine up his ass.”

• Hook 'Em 4

25 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

I think it's not an unpopular position to have been Covid vaxed in the heat of the battle but not feel any need now or moving forward for any boosters, right? That's where I sit at least.

It is a reasonable position today to not get the covid vaccine if you are not in an at-risk group today, however, it is still recommended. It is reasonable today because the virus has naturally mutated to become less severe in order to survive after killing millions of people. 

rushed nature? legal immunity? lol never change Chrispy

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I don’t want fish kids

See they're pussies. Who the hell wouldn't want fish kids? You could quit your boring ass job and travel the carnival circuit and really L.I.V.E., but no they'd rather little Khayden to be a fascist woman hater with boring lungs instead.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Exactly. If you call out a post like that for being deranged, suddenly thats CR now and not calling a spade a spade.

Or you just could report the post and move on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, bolverk said:

L'enfer, c'est les autres.

We've gone over this so many times. Maybe twice a year post migration some thread gets hijacked. This time it was BP44. I don't know if that's a new sock or whatever. They obviously have been here long enough to develop an opinion about CR.

What DT is now was largely what CR was before the move. It's toned down, but the same participants in the Hilary thread are regulars in DT. Some threads stay newsy more than others, Ukraine in particular. It could get SUPER CR in a heartbeat, but it doesn't because... self restraint? I know where the line is usually on a topic. But, in a lot of threads it's kinda blurry who can get CR and who can't. 

People come here usually to find out something about a sports topic, mainly football. Maybe it's 995. Maybe a game day aftermath. Maybe it was a poorly drawn cartoon of aggy hilarity. I came here because sports. I'm political too. I didn't go straight to CR. It was a long time before I said a peep in there. It was decidedly right to slightly center. That all changed with the move. People negged the shit out of each other at the old place. A long term member could nuke someone and be immune to attack. Carte Blanche to be a total asshole. 

Then it all went away. Suddenly they were vulnerable. Now you get one neg at a time. You have to get seriously assholish to get people pissed off enough to send you to Purgatory in CR. Troll a football thread and you might get two shots. And then it's GTFO. 

MEH. Of course there are double standards and fuzzy, shifting boundaries.

It's got cool humans and some outfuckingstanding resources of news aggregation and collective knowledge.

Ain't leaving yet.

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Hook 'Em 4

42 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

People come here usually to find out something about a sports topic, mainly football. Maybe it's 995. Maybe a game day aftermath. Maybe it was a poorly drawn cartoon of aggy hilarity. I came here because sports. I'm political too. I didn't go straight to CR. It was a long time before I said a peep in there. It was decidedly right to slightly center. That all changed with the move. People negged the shit out of each other at the old place. A long term member could nuke someone and be immune to attack. Carte Blanche to be a total asshole.

Same for me. I came for the original conference realignment rumors back in 2010 or so and found Thujone's cartoon of that saga, found Lulz, and mostly hung out there, mostly drunk a bunch because I was still getting over my divorce, and began the saga of meeting MFC Danger Girl. I almost completely avoided CR and anything political until Trump's arrival on the scene made it so untenable that I could no longer be silent.

• Hook 'Em 6

I think my favorite part about anti-vax stuff is how it was the ultimate #bothsides cudgel as something that was truly idiotic and conspiratorial but indigenous to soft leftie granola types, and then the right wing came along and said “actually we believe that stupid shit too!”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, bolverk said:

I did a quick Google image search and found some tweets that credited it to Bruce Mehlman, a political consultant and former Assistant Secretary for Commerce under GWB. It's from a slide deck on trends affecting the political climate; something he apparently puts together annually. 

Seventh slide out of 30. The whole thing is worth perusing: https://mehlmanconsulting.com/wp-content/uploads/Trust-Fall-Mehlman2024-Q1.pdf

Thanks for finding this.  There's a lot to digest there.

11 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

The 24/7 news cycle began in the 90s. Fox News became #1 in 2002

People are being ruled out 247 for dopamine hits 

IMG_1985.thumb.jpeg.051a059facc1db62abf89dbfc4308e64.jpeg

The trend in displeasure has been rising since '01 with the normal setbacks from the hope instilled by new administrations.  But it's interesting that there's steady rise in each Red presidency and the Dem ones fluctuate, but don't steady rise.  But the biggest thing to me is this is a charting of how people feel about the direction of the country, not so much a grade on the President and their admin.  So that rise could just as easily be disappointment in the House for its part in all this, as it is in Biden. 

10 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

This world would be better if it were a matriarchy for a few generations. 

Source on this? Before I repost it elsewhere and someone asks. 

I'm not so sure about this since we've been introduced to so many Karens on both a state and national level.  Though other countries have had success with this method, see New Zealand.  

6 hours ago, slorch said:

He was in a couple of Astros discussions and people were lightly taking shots, in a proper manner, IMHO.

The problem is when the tone changes to a something that usually isn't found in sports discussions. It's fine to poke fun at Cruz and jinxing teams, but talking policy or actual political  behavior doesn't belong in the sports threads. again, IMHO. 

Other times people are asked to stop discussing political angles, yet they INSIST there is no other way to discuss it.  Well, yes, there is.  The CR way and the sports relevant way; and these are hardly limited to or exclusive of Cruz.

We ahve a venue for railing on political decisions and policy positions.  It is Cloakroom.

Nobody did this, at least not any of the CR regulars.  You've just made my point.   

@pyrohornIII

ahh. you must have missed Penelope's bombing run that was absolutely politically driven...

It absolutely did happen.  You disproved your own point by not knowing WTF you are talking about or willfully ignoring the truth, which isn't unusual in these discussions either.

Edited by slorch

5 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

oftentimes spotlight a rare incident in which a child suffers as a result of an unforeseen side effect of a vaccine.

My sister's child possibly had an unforeseen side effect from a vaccine and is now dependent on them for life and now my sister is fully anti-vax everything.  She's been banned from facebook for god knows what and it hasn't deterred her at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

@pyrohornIII

ahh. you must have missed Penelope's bombing run that was absolutely politically driven...

It absolutely did happen.  You disproved your own point by not knowing WTF you are talking about or willfully ignoring the truth, which isn't unusual in these discussions either.

Slorch’d!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

Slorch’d!

common refrain.

I don't have amnesty like some of the 'dawgs'  and I give not one fuck.

21 minutes ago, slorch said:

@pyrohornIII

Anyone that bitched about the article without reading it got a neg because the article was fair, and they were being idiots and bringing their own political BS into the football board. God, you are such a whiny bitch. Have another one.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

My sister's child possibly had an unforeseen side effect from a vaccine and is now dependent on them for life and now my sister is fully anti-vax everything.  She's been banned from facebook for god knows what and it hasn't deterred her at all.

To be honest I can empathize. I mean, law of large numbers and everything, the overwhelming odds are that you won't be the win winning the anti-lottery ticket that is the short end of the straw of known possible side effects (and nothing is 100% risk-free), but if my child were to be vaccine injured I think I would probably be overly emotional and irrational too, just from the standpoint of being a human being and being afflicted with the emotion of love. A strong man (or woman, in this case) who could just stoically say, "well those are the odds and we drew the short straw, sucks to suck." Your sister obviously can't do that, yet. But maybe eventually.

Edited by BeardIP

26 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Anyone that bitched about the article without reading it got a neg because the article was fair, and they were being idiots and bringing their own political BS into the football board. God, you are such a whiny bitch. Have another one.

You negged me and I didn't say shit about the article.

Stay happy, cunt.

The number of times you otherwise post in the football board is freaking zero.  You went there because of your "defense of the NYT" and it was absolutely politically motivated.

Just fucking own it.  The Nile and shit...

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Stay happy, cunt.

The number of times you otherwise post in the football board is freaking zero.  You went there because of your "defense of the NYT" and it was absolutely politically motivated.

Cunt? Fuck you, asshole.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Some threads stay newsy more than others, Ukraine in particular. It could get SUPER CR in a heartbeat, but it doesn't because... self restraint?

There are people who come in to that thread literally pulling stuff from Russian sources and trying to post it as news (well, one person mostly, and they keep getting banned), but overall I have a feeling that it comes down to Surly demographics - many/most of us are late 30s and probably heavily skew towards 40-somethings/50-somethings and on up.  

We grew up with the Cold War and the Soviet Union being the bad guys, and from where most of us sit, Russia is no different than the Soviet Union, especially when Putin publicly bemoans the breakup of the USSR and wants to get it back together by force.  Many of us are the kids who grew up with the original Red Dawn and Top Gun and The Day After and all of the other 1970s and 1980s Cold War classics.

If you are 35 and under, your impression of Russia is far different than most of us here.  Most likely whatever history of the Soviet Union/Russia the younger folks got in school is very different than those of us who were in high school or jr high in the 70s/80s/early 90s, whose government/history/current events classes emphasized how awful the Soviet Union was (plus we lived through Ronald Reagan and the fall of the Cold War).  

Of course, the start of the war in Afghanistan in '79 is farther away from today's youth than World War II was from those of us who were kids in the 70s/80s.

Old Man Smile GIF by F*CK, THAT'S DELICIOUS

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

There are people who come in to that thread literally pulling stuff from Russian sources and trying to post it as news (well, one person mostly, and they keep getting banned), but overall I have a feeling that it comes down to Surly demographics - many/most of us are late 30s and probably heavily skew towards 40-somethings/50-somethings and on up.  

We grew up with the Cold War and the Soviet Union being the bad guys, and from where most of us sit, Russia is no different than the Soviet Union, especially when Putin publicly bemoans the breakup of the USSR and wants to get it back together by force.  Many of us are the kids who grew up with the original Red Dawn and Top Gun and The Day After and all of the other 1970s and 1980s Cold War classics.

If you are 35 and under, your impression of Russia is far different than most of us here.  Most likely whatever history of the Soviet Union/Russia the younger folks got in school is very different than those of us who were in high school or jr high in the 70s/80s/early 90s, whose government/history/current events classes emphasized how awful the Soviet Union was (plus we lived through Ronald Reagan and the fall of the Cold War).  

Of course, the start of the war in Afghanistan in '79 is farther away from today's youth than World War II was from those of us who were kids in the 70s/80s.

Old Man Smile GIF by F*CK, THAT'S DELICIOUS

I volunteer some hours each week doing conversational English over Zoom with some Ukes. I have been doing this for about 9 months.

A week ago a student asked me "Why do you like the Ukraine so much?" I didn't have a good answer; it's not that I have an enchubbenation for Ukraine so much but that I hate fucking Ruzzia.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, Captainant said:

It never ceases to amaze me how triggered some snowflakes are by a neg

16 negs on a football topic.  Gimme a footbal thread in which said poster has 5 fucking posts... Also LOFL at the little socks and hangers-on who have since added in negs  on page 1 of the thread.

triggered is  bombing a rando thread in defense of the fucking NYT of all things.  Again, for no reason other than politics.

There was absolutely a snowflake involved, and a neg from penelope just means bitch got triggered.  It's a confirmation, not a bullet.

Again people in this thread denied that there is pushing of politics or cloaky behavior outside of CR and even DT.  They are lying to themselves.

Edited by slorch

8 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Bitch, cunt, does your mom know you write about women like that?

About bitches and cunts?  Yeah.  It's calling a spade a spade.

You see me addressing ladies on this board in such a manner?  Of course, not.

Edited by slorch

3 hours ago, slorch said:

16 negs on a football topic.  Gimme a footbal thread in which said poster has 5 fucking posts... Also LOFL at the little socks and hangers-on who have since added in negs  on page 1 of the thread.

triggered is  bombing a rando thread in defense of the fucking NYT of all things.  Again, for no reason other than politics.

There was absolutely a snowflake involved, and a neg from penelope just means bitch got triggered.  It's a confirmation, not a bullet.

Again people in this thread denied that there is pushing of politics or cloaky behavior outside of CR and even DT.  They are lying to themselves.

Dude it's amazing how upset you are at getting some (-1) internet points lol. You and your betters aren't doing yourselves any favors when you describe just being mean as "cloaky" lol. 

Just try to be less of a victim, yeah? You'll survive, I promise

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, slorch said:

Stay happy, cunt.

I will never ever ever not call someone a little bitch for crying about rep. You're a little bitch. Why is it no surprise that a dude who calls women cunts and bitches is one himself? Fucking temper tantrum over fake meaningless internet points? Really?

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, slorch said:

Why don't you explain how it's politics, using something besides "it just is"

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Misogyny. Feature, not a bug.

Says the psycho tough guy who won’t leave home without a firearm. 

Try harder pops.  I don't, and have never, carried a firearm in public, concealed or otherwise.  Recreational user.  ALMOST got me, though. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Why don't you explain how it's politics, using something besides "it just is"

Don't understand why it's not considered that the particular article was pretty fair, and that the rag still is a piece of shit.  Unless, there's something else.  Fox news probably let's a milquetoast reading sports article out every now and then, don't believe it that would change anyone's views on the publication in general, or cause them to come and throw negs and stan for the publication in a game thread of all places.   

• Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Don't understand why it's not considered that the particular article was pretty fair, and that the rag still is a piece of shit.  Unless, there's something else.  Fox news probably let's a milquetoast reading sports article out every now and then, don't believe it that would change anyone's views on the publication in general, or cause them to come and throw negs and stan for the publication in a game thread of all places.   

I'm no big NYT fan so you don't need to convince me

6 minutes ago, G650 said:

I'm no big NYT fan so you don't need to convince me

Assuming you weren't in the thread, that's pretty much what happened.  Dumb but balanced article about UT and Bama fielding "the best teams money can buy" that goes into their respective use of NIL (as if 3 of the 4 teams they discussed aren't the bluest of bloods or anything).  Some poster says NYT sucks, not reading that (sensitive #1).  Then NYT stans come in football board negging posters (sensitive #2, 3,4)  Then back and forth (snowflakes abound on new years!!!!1!)    Second thread gets created about it days later to call other side snowflakes.  Fin. 

The point is, that board has spoken loud and clear there is a super fucking thin line on what it will take accept in terms of political posting.  The football board feel CR about how 9.95 feels about the football board.   Notwelcomehere.forrest.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Assuming you weren't in the thread, that's pretty much what happened.  Dumb but balanced article about UT and Bama fielding "the best teams money can buy" that goes into their respective use of NIL (as if 3 of the 4 teams they discussed aren't the bluest of bloods or anything).  Some poster says NYT sucks, not reading that (sensitive #1).  Then NYT stans come in football board negging posters (sensitive #2, 3,4)  Then back and forth (snowflakes abound on new years!!!!1!)    Second thread gets created about it days later to call other side snowflakes.  Fin. 

The point is, that board has spoken loud and clear there is a super fucking thin line on what it will take accept in terms of political posting.  The football board feel CR about how 9.95 feels about the football board.   Notwelcomehere.forrest.gif

To me, the football board is the most toxic on this whole website, which is why I avoid at all costs usually. I will admit the FSU drama and Alabama somehow getting in the playoff did suck me in a bit though.

I certainly believe your characterization of the thread though.