Texas Softball 2024 - Farewell to the Big 12 (and back to OKC?)

Js1

16 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I'm no LSU apologist (in any sport), but Tiger got jobbed so badly on the ball that appeared to hit the runner's leg. No review. That opened the floodgates and turned it into a rout for no good reason. 

Yep….hit her, no review.

20 minutes ago, SameSame said:

I don't watch a lot of softball, had no idea the run rule was only 8.  Seems odd.

How often do you expect teams to come back from 8 down in 2 innings?

It’s amazing how it feels like there’s a review every inning, and yet each team only has two to use and then umpire discretion from the 6th on. 

And each team usually needs more than two, and needing to challenge when you don’t have any left is pretty common. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s amazing how it feels like there’s a review every inning, and yet each team only has two to use and then umpire discretion from the 6th on. 

And each team usually needs more than two, and needing to challenge when you don’t have any left is pretty common. 

And the biggest issue was balls and strikes. Bring on the roboumps. The strikezone was tighter than a nun's cunt.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

They explained that later in the inning  ( or next one half inning?)

Number of reviews had been used up by the plays at the plate. There were none available left.

Same thing that screwed us around against aggy, when their 1B came off the bag taking a throw. And we'd won both our earlier challenges, which made it especially galling not to get a review of that play  

The Stanford runner gave indication of having been hit, which you'd think one umpire or another might have noticed even if they didn't see the ball touch her leg. But for whatever reason (hubris?), they refused to even look at it. Poorly handled. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I gotta say, it took some balls to stick with Kavan in that situation. 

B2B walks, a true-FR, runner in scoring position, and in a 1 run game against a rival. I probably would have made a pitching change. 

Confidence building moment for got damn sure.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

Same thing that screwed us around against aggy, when their 1B came off the bag taking a throw. And we'd won both our earlier challenges, which made it especially galling not to get a review of that play  

The Stanford runner gave indication of having been hit, which you'd think one umpire or another might have noticed even if they didn't see the ball touch her leg. But for whatever reason (hubris?), they refused to even look at it. Poorly handled. 

I tried to find a replay of the play but couldn’t.  Check out rule 12.17.2.6.

From what I’ve been reading, the thought was that it was interference and the runner out.  That’s not necessarily the case depending on the positioning of the fielders and their opportunities to make a play.

If the 1st baseman was playing up, then that ball can be ruled past her and not interference.  I’d also assume such a judgmental call cannot be reviewed.

I’m not sure where the defenders were, but it’s possible the correct outcome was achieved.

https://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/SR23.pdf

5 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Goddamn I love Texas and the Horns but you couldnt pay me enough to watch any other teams’ softball games

WTF?

Are you shitting me?

I happened upon college softball late last season and since then, I almost always stop for at least an inning and pull for the team of girls wearing white pants. 

Cake for days!!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, D3zii said:

Well LSU sure hit her ass first game. She can be hit she’s just good af

No doubt. Texas has to stay disciplined and make her throw the ball down in the zone. If they chase the rise ball at the shoulders, she is tough to beat.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, gernblansten said:

“That was a strike!!!” is the new “They’re holding!!!!

No shit!  For the life of me, I cannot tell how someone sees balls and strikes so clearly when the TV camera angle is 30-45 degrees off center of the line between the rubber and plate.

The incessant whining is a bit much …

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, FloridaHorn said:

No doubt. Texas has to stay disciplined and make her throw the ball down in the zone. If they chase the rise ball at the shoulders, she is tough to beat.

Yep.  It also helps if blue is not giving her the high stuff. If so, then we feel like we have to chase and it's game over.  

10 hours ago, dcar00 said:

womens softball has a problem.  It can't be more obvious they are trying to manufacture drama.  I want to say it is only incompetence but it just can't be.  

That last inning of balls and strikes calls was atrocious. Might be the worst I’ve ever seen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

No shit!  For the life of me, I cannot tell how someone sees balls and strikes so clearly when the TV camera angle is 30-45 degrees off center of the line between the rubber and plate.

If you watch as much baseball/softball as some of us do, you just know...

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

womens softball has a problem.  It can't be more obvious they are trying to manufacture drama.  I want to say it is only incompetence but it just can't be.  

Pretty much this. From the shitty seeding to the horrible strike zones to the umps getting the most obvious shit wrong and forcing coaches to burn challenges for what is a routine ball is maddening. The sport deserves better 

• Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, chemHORN said:

image.thumb.png.1a707d7665e0f7dab00817ae92988165.png

11 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If those maps are accurate, as opposed to a person guessing, then that inexcusable and absolutely questionable as to motivation. 

8 consecutive strikes called balls, and only 2 of them could even be considered borderline. 

10 hours ago, gernblansten said:

“That was a strike!!!” is the new “They’re holding!!!!

1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Camera angles and bitching sure but last night the 7th was out of this world bad. You could see it on Kavan’s face. Thankfully she buckled down got a swing and a miss and later the change up down the fucking middle froze ag for out 3 and the ump had no discretion there - but damn if that girl had been sitting on the change?! Fuck me running. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, chemHORN said:

image.thumb.png.1a707d7665e0f7dab00817ae92988165.png

Years ago ESPN removed the K zone from the screen because of how the broadcast crew had to justify obvious balls/strikes being called the opposite all game long 

• Rage+1 3

No it’s not they are trying to manufacture drama. That would suggest they are purposely missing calls.

Softball and baseball umps have a recruiting problem. It doesn’t pay nearly as well as basketball and football officiating and isn’t nearly as glamorous. They also have the same politics problem as all other sports officiating. 

one of my bosses when I reffed d1 women’s basketball was the head of refs for the SEC. We were at a training clinic one summer where 250 people (this is just 1 of 6 clinics) were there to get hired to ref SEC women’s basketball (and sun belt, soufland, a-sun, swac, Missouri valley plus other conferences). She invited the new head of refs for softball for the SEC and that lady said “I wish this hotel ballroom would be this full for my clinic” and preceded to tell us if we didn’t get a basketball contract to consider softball reffing. 

That told me everything I needed to know about softball officiating. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

NCAA tourney should never have a run rule. Period. Any team that is int he tourney should have a chance to come back and win it. Regular season it is fine. 

I could see it for the regional(where you are trying to get in games with what could be outmatched teams) but not the supers or CWS for sure. that said, it certainly is an archaic rule from a time when their was no good "middle".  you had top 10 teams  with swing and miss pitchers from 40 feet and everyone else was chum.  It isn't like that anymore.

Half full:

We held off a scrappy and under-seeded TAMU team playing out of their minds. Trailing in all three games, we came back and won two of them, which will give us the confidence we need to do something similar, if necessary, in OKC.

Half-empty:

After being arguably the best team during the regular season, with a top 10 pitching staff, we are limping into OKC and our bullpen looks shaky at best.  You can't win championships in softball/baseball without elite pitching, so we get shit on in OKC and go 2 and que.

Pick one.  There is no middle ground.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Weather currently looks iffy for Thursday in OKC. Big question will be who we throw against Canady

It will be Morgan. Stanford has trouble scoring runs, so Mac keeping the ball on the ground makes it even more difficult. First team to 3 wins the game. Be patient at the plate, see the ball down in the zone, and score early.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)

Would like to see us not lose a challenge if it gets overturned at least once during the game.  Maybe even do it for both challenges giving us either  3 or 4 max challenges for the game .  Two is just not enough 

Edited by HuntinHorn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Half full:

We held off a scrappy and under-seeded TAMU team playing out of their minds. Trailing in all three games, we came back and won two of them, which will give us the confidence we need to do something similar, if necessary, in OKC.

Half-empty:

After being arguably the best team during the regular season, with a top 10 pitching staff, we are limping into OKC and our bullpen looks shaky at best.  You can't win championships in softball/baseball without elite pitching, so we get shit on in OKC and go 2 and que.

Pick one.  There is no middle ground.   

Just gotta get to OKC (which we did) and see what happens.

Texas hasn’t gone 0-2 in OKC since their first ever appearance. 

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I could see it for the regional(where you are trying to get in games with what could be outmatched teams) but not the supers or CWS for sure. that said, it certainly is an archaic rule from a time when their was no good "middle".  you had top 10 teams  with swing and miss pitchers from 40 feet and everyone else was chum.  It isn't like that anymore.

True. There's always some hope of a late rally, however faint. That said, let some team in the postseason lose 31-2 because of no run rule and you'll hear all sorts of screaming about how we shouldn't have let those kids be humiliated. Can't have it both ways. 

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

True. There's always some hope of a late rally, however faint. That said, let some team in the postseason lose 31-2 because of no run rule and you'll hear all sorts of screaming about how we shouldn't have let those kids be humiliated. Can't have it both ways. 

Our 2022 team lost game 1 of the champ series 16-1

Big 12 - 3 teams

SEC - 2 teams

Pac 12 - 2 teams 

ACC - 1 team

Or in terms of new conferences, SEC has 4, ACC has 2, Big 12 has 1, B1G has 1

SEC was primed up to have a big representation in OKC, but Mizzou lost at home in 3, aggy lost in 3, LSU lost in 3, Arkansas didn’t advance out of their regional and one of Tenn/Bama had to lose.

Really hate that Bama win - Beaver is good, but Duke + Tenn pitching would have at least given OU a harder time on that side of the bracket. That side is def easier than the side featuring Kavan, Canady, Rothrock and Kilfoyl. Our side of the bracket features all 3 POY candidates and 1 of the FOY candidates 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1