Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

for those who don’t click, dan patrick and his co host(?) sarcastically ask: “what’s the worst thing you can do in sports? is it cheating; gambling on or fixing a game; or is it doing the Horns down?” to which dan replies, “it’s definitely doing the horns down.”

our program and our head coach are a national laughing stock. but hey, at least we “did the right thing”. i bet we’ll win the sears trophy for optics and honor. that can be the first banner we hang in moody. 

Dan is badass the reason not to listen to the track is to hear RT's pathetic groveling yet again.

14 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

As an Astros fan, this situation is painfully reminiscent of the self-inflicted wound that ownership brought about by firing Jeff Luhnow and AJ Hinch when a mere suspension was all that was warranted. There is no question in my mind that decision cost us at least one WS title. Likewise, CDC firing Beard cost us decades of great coaching and potential championships. I get depressed thinking about both situations. 

LOL at being upset about two pennants and a championship. 

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

LOL at being upset about two pennants and a championship. 

We should have at least 1 more WS trophy and the championship window is about to be closed shut after this season. I will never get over not having more because we hired idiot Dusty for the same “optics” bs reasoning.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Macklemore said:

We should have at least 1 more WS trophy and the championship window is about to be closed shut after this season. I will never get over not having more because we hired idiot Dusty for the same “optics” bs reasoning.

Did you get that worked up about 2019, cuz that ain't on Dusty.

1 minute ago, Macklemore said:

We should have at least 1 more. I will never get over not having more because we hired idiot Dusty for the same “optics” bs reasoning.

I'm glad Dusty got his ring but he should have retired immediately following Game 6.  With that said Dusty >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> RT

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Did you get that worked up about 2019, cuz that ain't on Dusty.

Of course like any Astros fan. That was the best Astros team I’ll see in my lifetime and it pains me that we didn’t win it whenever I think about it.

46 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

huh?  Dusty had been to a WS as a manager with the Giants, did a good job with the Reds and Washington.  I don't see how you compare a Dusty hire to a RT hire at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Skipper said:

Regarding buyout, do we know for sure his deal is fully guaranteed? I kind of assumed buyout would be lower than standard given the circumstances.

I’ve seen no mention of his contract being guaranteed.  That’s ludicrous.  Therefore his buyout should be lower

i can’t stop scrolling twitter. it’s a car wreck happening in slow motion. literally hundreds of thousands of sports fans just crushing our entire school, athletics program, and the entire fan base, all based on RT’s post game bullshit. people are foaming at the mouth to run to social media to talk about how “Texas” (you, me, our players, coaches, athletic department, etc) are the most soft, whiny, entitled people, and how we are going to get crushed in the SEC with this weak ass mentality. it is unreal how many viral posts there are about this.

and all we can do is sit here and take it, because there is no defense for RT’s actions, which do not represent the feelings of 99% of us. unfortunately, our HC publicly represents all of us, plus his team and the school, and he has made us an absolute laughing stock overnight. it’s just surreal at this point. one second i’m watching Texas winning 22-6, the next minute, i’m here. wow. just wow.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 4

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I’ve seen no mention of his contract being guaranteed.  That’s ludicrous.  Therefore his buyout should be lower

Scroll back a couple of pages and that was how people were referencing it.  I also would not expect that to be the case but haven't researched it and couldn't find it based on a couple of quick google searches.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Beard comes in, manufactures mojo, and we are able to construct a monster of a roster out of the portal.

Terry comes in, defecates on and sets fire to said mojo, and we are able to construct a pussy of a roster out of the portal.

RT bringing bad national publicity to the university won't get him fired but won't help his longevity. You know CDC and RT have had discussions this morning about that and the losses.

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

this is all i’m seeing on twitter today:

Whoa, I didn't realize it was that bad. I've following the team mostly on Surly. So I figured this was a typical overreaction. 

Damn, that was terribull. Worse than losing the game. And it's only going to get worse. You can't be all sensitive and shit 17 games into the season.

howard3_medium.gif

CDC’s speech this year to everyone in the UT athletics department was to “embrace the hate”. This implied an understanding that there’s a target on our back now more than ever from our opponents. Most programs have been up to the challenge, but MBB has done the exact opposite. RT gets offended by the hate, plays the victim, and cant lead a winning program. I hope CDC called RT into his office today to discuss how embarrassing his actions were after the loss and the resulting social media fallout from UT fans and UT critics alike.  

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I would encourage you to look around at the contracts being handed out nowadays.

5 years is the minimum and $3 million per is about the lowest you can go. He is the 8th highest paid coach in the Big 12.

As great as a 3 year $1.5 million deal sounds on a message board, these guys have agents. Schools do not have leverage nowadays. Asking a new coach to go recruit 2024/2025 prospects on a 3-year deal is cringeworthy. You aren't even giving yourself a chance.

Also, $12 million is chump change. I can't believe there are actually people worried about the buyout. Texas will pay that in a heartbeat if they don't think Terry deserves another year. 

Given that performance alone isn't going to get Terry fired after this season, maybe we need to get creative and help with the momentum. I think Surly should hire one of the female posters to call up to the AD's office every 10 minutes, asking for Rodney and claiming to be his girlfriend or wife and needing to talk to him. Keep doing it for week's on end. We could probably get CDC's cell phone and Eltife's as well, depending upon how far we want to take it. I've heard that this works at diners, so maybe worth a shot in the athletic department at Texas. 

Short of that, light the cigarettes now, boys, because we've already been fucked. That team last night looked like absolute ass with no heart. We're staring down the barrel of a 3-15 conference, no tournament invite, and more of the same next season, all the while the head coach is a slow motion train wreck heading towards some sort of personal psychotic break.

• Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

That’s why I said 2 and not 3

Even Louisville didn’t cut bait on Payne after 4-28. Barring an off the court scandal or massive NCAA infractions, you cannot fire a coach after his first season. And like it or not, this is RT’s true first season 

Rumor is Louisville was talking to multiple coaches behind the scenes. The only reason Louisville didn't make a change is because they likely couldn't get one of the coaches they wanted. 

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

for those who don’t click, dan patrick and his co host(?) sarcastically ask: “what’s the worst thing you can do in sports? is it cheating; gambling on or fixing a game; or is it doing the Horns down?” to which dan replies, “it’s definitely doing the horns down.”

our program and our head coach are a national laughing stock. but hey, at least we “did the right thing”. i bet we’ll win the sears trophy for optics and honor. that can be the first banner we hang in moody. 

He just tweeted this too.  This shitstorm may actually help you guys get rid of this legend all too soon...

I've posed this question before, have we ever retained a coach in a major sport we wanted to fire but chose not to because of the buyout?

I have a feeling someone will say Shaka but the end of the 2020 season being canceled due to covid probably played the biggest role in his return. If that season played out and he missed the tourney or lost in the first round again, he probably wouldn't have seen another year.

7 hours ago, satyanash said:

I disagree with the 2024-2025 part. IMO, Texas will fire RT if they finish 3-15 in the Big 12 and there's a legitimate replacement available. 

He's not wrong though. How many schools would have fired an interim coach that just won a Big 12 tournament title, made the Elite 8, and were in the lead for multiple 5 stars in the '24 class? I say none. 

We all questioned RT's coaching ability and we can all say "fuck the optics" after the fact but it was just a very undesirable situation. I'm more pissed at Beard for beating his fiance and putting us in this situation. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

i can’t stop scrolling twitter. it’s a car wreck happening in slow motion. literally hundreds of thousands of sports fans just crushing our entire school, athletics program, and the entire fan base, all based on RT’s post game bullshit. people are foaming at the mouth to run to social media to talk about how “Texas” (you, me, our players, coaches, athletic department, etc) are the most soft, whiny, entitled people, and how we are going to get crushed in the SEC with this weak ass mentality. it is unreal how many viral posts there are about this.

and all we can do is sit here and take it, because there is no defense for RT’s actions, which do not represent the feelings of 99% of us. unfortunately, our HC publicly represents all of us, plus his team and the school, and he has made us an absolute laughing stock overnight. it’s just surreal at this point. one second i’m watching Texas winning 22-6, the next minute, i’m here. wow. just wow.

Oh noes some people who don't like Texas posted some mean tweets! My vapors! Whatever will we do?!?!?!?

Whining about that shit is as soft as what RT did last night

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I've posed this question before, have we ever retained a coach in a major sport we wanted to fire but chose not to because of the buyout?

I don't know why the buyout is even a discussion. Texas paid $15.4 million to get rid of Herman who was a much better coach than RT. The ROI on that decision was 100X the value 3 years later with a Big 12 title and playoff run. 

The same will apply to RT. They will recoup that $12 million in a year if they field a successful basketball team. 

The buyout isn't stopping Texas from firing RT. It's the narrative of "you have to give coaches more than 1 year." 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Oh noes some people who don't like Texas posted some mean tweets! My vapors! Whatever will we do?!?!?!?

Whining about that shit is as soft as what RT did last night

No it’s not. No one is whining, we’re pissed off our shitty coach is acting like a pussy. Sounds like he’s rubbing off on you and the other RT pumpers. Just face it Mr “wait for the season to play out”, RT was the wrong choice and he is what he was before he got gifted with a for sure EE squad. No one needs to wait through the rest of the big 12 schedule to know he blows ass.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Regarding buyout, do we know for sure his deal is fully guaranteed? I kind of assumed buyout would be lower than standard given the circumstances.

No. Somebody just added up how much his total salary was and everyone else ran with it.

3 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

No. Somebody just added up how much his total salary was and everyone else ran with it.

And people are still running with it.  Surely some enterprising reporter is going to figure this out sooner or later given the outlook on the season.   There probably aren't many scenarios that can get RT fired this year but 3-15 in conference should absolutely be one of them were that to play out.

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

There probably aren't many scenarios that can get RT fired this year but 3-15 in conference should absolutely be one of them were that to play out.

I'm really not sure why people think there's no chance RT won't be fired after 1 year. 

A 3-15 Big 12 finish would be our worst year in conference play in about 40 years. That would probably also lead to roster turnover and losing at least one of those top recruits. RT is 100% getting fired if Texas finishes 3-15 or 4-14 in Big 12 play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

And people are still running with it.  Surely some enterprising reporter is going to figure this out sooner or later given the outlook on the season.   There probably aren't many scenarios that can get RT fired this year but 3-15 in conference should absolutely be one of them were that to play out.

Just did some more digging and Beard's contract was 70% guaranteed. So assuming Terry's contract has a similar number (definitely ain't higher), the buyout would be:

After this season: $8.61 million

After next season: $6.5 million

For reference, Shaka's buyout was $7.1 million when we told him to take a hike to Marquette. 

I'm normally in the crowd of "never root against Texas" but our best interest is now for the season to fully collapse. We're #66 in NET and only have 1 Q1 win. This team is far from being a tournament team. 

Rooting against RT last year didn't make sense because we were actually good with Beard's players (see the Big 12 tournament title and Elite 8). But this team? We aren't good. I don't see why we should be rooting for a 6-12 finish. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I'm normally in the crowd of "never root against Texas" but our best interest is now for the season to fully collapse. We're #66 in NET and only have 1 Q1 win. This team is far from being a tournament team. 

Rooting against RT last year didn't make sense because we were actually good with Beard's players (see the Big 12 tournament title and Elite 8). But this team? We aren't good. I don't see why we should be rooting for a 6-12 finish. 

What games will we be favored in the rest of the way? WVU at home and....OSU at home? Outside of that we will be underdogs in every other game. So 6 wins means we won 3 games we weren't supposed to which is tough to see right now.

I’ve watched one game this season. I think it was the game against Cincinnati in which we won. In the 10 minutes I watched, I saw Disu spot up for three about five times. That was all I needed to see in order to determine RT doesn’t have a clue about coaching offense. Carry on, gentlemen.

21 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Just did some more digging and Beard's contract was 70% guaranteed. So assuming Terry's contract has a similar number (definitely ain't higher), the buyout would be:

After this season: $8.61 million

After next season: $6.5 million

For reference, Shaka's buyout was $7.1 million when we told him to take a hike to Marquette. 

Beard had a ton more leverage than RT.  It will be interesting to see how his deal is structured.  I could see RT's agent negotiating for a higher buyout percentage year 1 to protect against this scenario.   Isn't this all subject to a public information act request? Not sure why it's not out there if so.

It is kind of wild that in 4 years we could fire 3 coaches and during that timeframe we still won 2 Big 12 tournament titles (best conference in men's basketball), made an Elite 8, and won 4 NCAA tournament games. 

If you saw those results you would never imagine that Texas would potentially be firing their 3rd coach in 4 years. Granted, Texas didn't want to fire Beard. 

• Hook 'Em 1