Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

11 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

It’s all so fucking stupid

People need to take a deep breath and let the season play out instead of following Derka off the cliff like a little lemming 

right, because if there’s one thing we all know about shaggy it’s that everyone loves to agree with and parrot my takes. 🙄 

OR, or, maybe this site is full of basketball fans who have followed the sport for a long time who have never once thought that rodney terry was fit to be the HC at Texas, and our underwhelming, underperforming season has people talking about it. difficult to know which one though.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Uncle Boobs said:

Why is every body herre tighter thann a nuns pussy. Just relax and enjoy the moment.

we are in the Fire ROdney Terry thread.  you are looking for the Terry 4ever thread...

• Haha 1

in the history of the kenpom era, Texas has never finished a season with a defense rated this lowly:

IMG_6902.thumb.jpeg.b83dac62fcd73112d1d79ba66de32027.jpeg

IMG_6903.thumb.jpeg.d9a2f6a429231b4f81a27b380b8729e7.jpeg

the team that came the closest (64th in AdjD) looked like this:

IMG_6904.thumb.jpeg.575aabdbe35c45851119d7167672c11a.jpeg

since 1999 Texas had built a reputation as a physically tough, defensive minded program. barnes, shaka, and beard all specialized and focused on the defensive side of the floor. in hiring rodney terry we have unraveled our very identity. he has never been able to coach at this level, and that is never going to change. i just hope that whoever replaces him either reinstills that culture, or at least brings his own. this team is way too talented to be this bad defensively.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

our underwhelming, underperforming season

We've played 5 conference games so far and we are a few points away from being 4-1 and in 1st place in the toughest conference in college basketball.

Stop jumping to conclusions because you want imaginary Smart Guy Points on the Internet. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The margins are razor thin in this league and that goes all ways. Kansas gets an Allen Fieldhouse friendly whistle vs TCU or they are currently sitting at 2-3. Cincy should probably be 4-1. Playing the what if game is pointless. Over the course of a season or two it all evens out. You win a few you shouldn’t have and lose a few you are kicking yourself over.

We are 2-3 and need to steal one at OU or at BYU this upcoming week to make up for the fact we self sacked against two bottom feeders.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 5

If someone would have put a gun to my head before we hired RT and asked me to predict whether he would be successful, I would have probably said "No, but he will be more successful than he was at UTEP and Fresno, mainly because of our resources, but we could do better".  

That said, I thought there was a reasonable chance that he could adopt a Mack Brown type of head coaching style and be a wizard on the recruiting trail and in the portal... and we could hire some amazing assistants to help with the day to day player development.  I thought there was a pretty good chance he could have us in the tourney every year, with periodic runs to the Sweet 16 and Elite 8.  And I thought there was an outside chance, maybe 20%, that he could have us as a regular top-10 team.

After going through Shaka and Herman, both really good hires at the time, I realized that there are no certainties in coaching. And that success at one level doesn't mean you will be great at Texas. I'm not sure I would put any coach at more than 50% likelihood that they would achieve huge success here in hoops.  (Note: Chris Beard is the exception. I was 100% sure that he would crush it here. And I felt that way long before we hired him). 

So ultimately, I felt like RT deserved a shot.  I didn't feel like it was a HUGE longshot, but I definitely didn't feel like it was a slam dunk. In my view, the job he did to right the ship last year was astounding.  I attribute a huge part of our run to RT - and I think our players did too.  The players and ex-players were steadfast in supporting RT for the job, and that means something to me.  I also think loyalty is important, and the universe has a way of rewarding it.

I still think the odds are low that he rights the ship.  If we miss the tourney this year or next, I fully support showing him the door. We have too many resources to ever miss the tourney. And I don't care what we lose from year to year. The portal should have us in the top-64 teams every year.

I don't think there were many people last year who were convinced that RT was the next coming of John Wooden. I think most felt like he earned a shot by giving us an Elite Eight... and winning a Big 12 (Tourney) title.  But I think almost everyone realized that it was a risk. 

• Hook 'Em 4

In all fairness to Sampson, I recall many years ago when he was coaching at OU and Texas was playing in Norman, the OU fans were chanting something very derogatory about Texas (don’t recall what but expected) and Sampson went on the court and announced to their crowd to stop because it was classless to do.  

Edited by Horn80

49 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Imagine supporting Rodney Terry out of spite because you hate derka, lmao. Pathetic way to form your takes. Also super genuine.

Or just supporting Rodney because he’s our coach and hasn’t beaten anyone yet?  Most have said ad nauseam that he wasn’t our first choice, we had to hire him and now we want to see it play out?  That’s nothing to do with Derka.  It’s supporting the guy that coaches your team after he’s coached 1/2 a season?

when I say beaten I mean a human, not ucf or wva

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, closetohumping said:

Or just supporting Rodney because he’s our coach and hasn’t beaten anyone yet?  Most have said ad nauseam that he wasn’t our first choice, we had to hire him and now we want to see it play out?  That’s nothing to do with Derka.  It’s supporting the guy that coaches your team after he’s coached 1/2 a season?

Not you, im talking about the dude who said were all just following along with Derka, as if nobody could have come to the conclusion that maybe RT aint the one based on their own observations of things.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Not you, im talking about the dude who said were all just following along with Derka, as if nobody could have come to the conclusion that maybe RT aint the one based on their own observations of things.

I don’t want to make this about Derka but he can be a very abrasive guy.  

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, HookEm said:

We are also two last second shots from being 0-5. 

And another from having a bad non-con loss to a 6-12 (1-6) Louisville team. 
Cherry picking goes both ways. There are no moral victories here. The résumé is the résumé at this point: and at this point, Texas isn’t a tournament team. 

Edited by MuellerHorn

14 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

And another from having a bad non-con loss to a 6-12 (1-6) Louisville team. 
Cherry picking goes both ways. There are no moral victories here. The résumé is the résumé at this point: and at this point, Texas isn’t a tournament team. 

So here’s what I recommend.  Let’s let the rest of the season play out?  This team is capable of beating a top ten yr and losing to ucf.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

The résumé is the résumé at this point: and at this point, Texas isn’t a tournament team. 

We aren't great, but there aren't 64 teams with a better resume than us at this point. Massey has us at #29, which seems pretty fair.  I appreciate you have to be better than top-64 to make the tourney given all the auto-bids, but its not like we are ranked 70th.  I would say at this point we are on the bubble.

• Our good wins are over:  #9 Baylor, #51 at Cincinnati, #78 LSU.  
  • Our losses are to:  #2 UConn, #11 at Marquette, #16 Tech, #74 UCF and #102 at West Virginia.  The UCF and WV losses hurt no doubt.

Let's compare to another bubble team, Miami... who is fresh off beating us and making it to the Final Four.

• Miami's good wins: #26 K-State, #27 Clemson, #65 at Virginia Tech, #71 Georgia, #74 UCF
  • Miami's losses: #12 at Kentucky, #44 at Syracuse,#45 Colorado, #52 at Wake Forest, #80 Florida State, #171 Louisville

Miami doesn't really have a signature win, though they did beat UCF early in the season.  Their losses are much worse than ours. All but Kentucky are out of the top-25, and the Louisville loss is horrid.

Let's compare to another bubble team, Michigan State...

• MSU's good wins:  #9 Baylor, #62 Indiana St, #68 Butler, #72 Rutgers
  • MSU's losses:  #4 Arizona, #10 Wisconsin, #17 at Illinois, #20 Duke, #49 at Northwestern, #58 at Nebraska, #75 James Madison

I would call our wins pretty much a wash.  We both beat Baylor, and our win at Cincinnati is better than anything else they have done.  Our losses are similar, but they have two more losses than us.

Anyway, you can do the same analysis with the other schools who are in this range and we stack up well.  The problem is that we play about a billion more teams in the top 20 and people project that we will lose most of them.

25 minutes ago, HookEm said:

We aren't great, but there aren't 64 teams with a better resume than us at this point. Massey has us at #29, which seems pretty fair.  I appreciate you have to be better than top-64 to make the tourney given all the auto-bids, but its not like we are ranked 70th.  I would say at this point we are on the bubble.

• Our losses are to:  #2 UConn, #11 at Marquette, #16 Tech, #74 UCF and #102 at West Virginia.  The UCF and WV losses hurt no doubt.

Let's compare to another bubble team, Miami... who is fresh off beating us and making it to the Final Four.

• Miami's good wins: #26 K-State, #27 Clemson, #65 at Virginia Tech, #71 Georgia, #74 UCF
  • Miami's losses: #12 at Kentucky, #44 at Syracuse,#45 Colorado, #52 at Wake Forest, #80 Florida State, #171 Louisville

Miami doesn't really have a signature win, though they did beat UCF early in the season.  Their losses are much worse than ours. All but Kentucky are out of the top-25, and the Louisville loss is horrid.

• MSU's losses:  #4 Arizona, #10 Wisconsin, #17 at Illinois, #20 Duke, #49 at Northwestern, #58 at Nebraska, #75 James Madison

I would call our wins pretty much a wash.  We both beat Baylor, and our win at Cincinnati is better than anything else they have done.  Our losses are similar, but they have two more losses than us.

Anyway, you can do the same analysis with the other schools who are in this range and we stack up well.  The problem is that we play about a billion more teams in the top 20 and people project that we will lose most of them.

really this isn't too difficult.  he needs 6 more wins plus probably one tourney win to safely make the tournament.  If we shoot 9-11 from 3 in a half a few times I think he can do it.

27 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

really this isn't too difficult.  he needs 6 more wins plus probably one tourney win to safely make the tournament.  If we shoot 9-11 from 3 in a half a few times I think he can do it.

Let's not act like Baylor wasn't shooting lights out from beyond the arc early, either.  They actually outshot us (50% to 47.4%) from 3 for the game, and at the line (80% to 70.6%).  We outshot them overall (51.9% to 47.9%).

My point is that we won't necessarily need to go batshit crazy from deep in one half just to win more games.  Then again, if we can't defend the other team better, maybe we will.  Guess I'll watch.

Of course there are going to be wins and losses in a tough league like the Big 12. The record at this point is not the biggest concern. 

The biggest issue is what you see on the court every game. Poor defense. Poor defending of the three. A lack of hustle from some players, a stagnant offense with minimal movement. Poor shooting. Inconsistency. Weak switch offs on D. No exploitation of other team’s switch-offs. The list of bad basketball is long. 

While that Baylor win is great, I actually wasn’t very impressed with Baylor’s hustle or focus. 

If the team starts playing a lot better in the coming weeks, that would be encouraging but I’m doubtful. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

We've played 5 conference games so far and we are a few points away from being 4-1 and in 1st place in the toughest conference in college basketball.

Stop jumping to conclusions because you want imaginary Smart Guy Points on the Internet. 

A few point away… so you mean, not 4-1 and not in 1st in the conference?

1 hour ago, freyguy said:

Don't forget to hand out programs containing screenshots of ridiculous data analytics, trying to prove some point of god-knows-what, which of course will immediately go straight to the trash...

Just gonna cheer for Rodney until he’s gone.  Yea I’m a spiteful mother 

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

So here’s what I recommend.  Let’s let the rest of the season play out?  This team is capable of beating a top ten yr and losing to ucf.  

In being on the spectrum, I have a hard time seeing gray areas.  Therefore, I compartmentalize.  Here's the way I see it.  And, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind so don't @ me.  

Make it to the Round of 16 - he's our guy.

Barely miss the tourney or lose in the round of 32 - he deserves another year.

Flame out, finish in the bottom 3 of the conference, no tourney sniffing - make a change.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Inspired by Curb Your Enthusiasm, I'm starting a spite basketball program at the University of Austin solely to trigger Derka and this board.  Rodney Terry will be the coach, before every game we will play a highlight package that shows how Shaka Smart is a better coach and a better man than Rick Barnes, the bathroom stalls will have printouts of Kenpom rankings to use as toilet paper, and we will hang Kawhi Leonard's Raptors jersey, Derek Fisher's Lakers jersey, and Ray Allen's Heat jersey in the rafters.

How are Avery Johnson and Derick Fisher involved in this endeavor?

*Sean Elliott had prior commitments 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

what exactly do you people mean when you keep repeating your own selves as nauseam? “why can’t we just let the rest of the season play out?” what do you mean by that? are you saying we should all log out of shaggy and stop opining on this team altogether until the final buzzer of our last game? if so, then why are we even here? why does this site even exist? why do you sunshine pumpers insist on gatekeeping this entire forum, telling everyone to either say something nice or to not post at all? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I’m getting there anyway, although I’m already committed to going up to Kansas in a few weeks to check out the Phog and watch them smash us one last time. 

visited the phog two seasons ago. Texas lost in OT but it was a 10/10 experience. it got up to 123 decibels while we were in there. also no AC so it gets real hot in there. the fans stay loud and engaged the entire time, even during commercial breaks. never been to an arena/atmosphere quite like it. if their fans didn’t somehow act like the officials we’re screwing them on every single call (WE ARE LAUGHING!) it would have been damn near perfect.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

what exactly do you people mean when you keep repeating your own selves as nauseam? “why can’t we just let the rest of the season play out?” what do you mean by that? are you saying we should all log out of shaggy and stop opining on this team altogether until the final buzzer of our last game? if so, then why are we even here? why does this site even exist? why do you sunshine pumpers insist on gatekeeping this entire forum, telling everyone to either say something nice or to not post at all? 

No we should go on a drunken rant where we post 6 I told you so in a row.    And then post an apology post after the Baylor win.  And then ask the mods to delete all and then get pissed when you get called out on your shit. This board is bad for you. I’m worried about your health 

you people?  Hmm where have I heard that before 😂

Edited by closetohumping
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

No we should go on a drunken rant where we post 6 I told you so in a row.    And then post an apology post after the Baylor win.  And then ask the mods to delete all and then get pissed when you get called out on your shit. This board is bad for you. I’m worried about your health 

so, i acted like an ass, then i owned up to it and apologized for it, and you’re mad at me for that. lol ok.

you've also posted this same post five times since yesterday. you seem pretty hell bent on starting a fight over this. grow up.

Edited by shadow_operative

9 hours ago, closetohumping said:

sure good recommendation.  This is the Fire Rodney Terry thread for a reason.  you aren't going to get what you are looking for here.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, HookEm said:

This is not a tournament team. I’ll bet you $1000 we don’t make the field of 68.

I don't have a ton of confidence we will make the tournament, but I don't think there are 68 teams better than us either. Both can be true. 

And I'm not sure why any Texas fan would bet $1,000 against their team. 

On 1/18/2024 at 3:31 PM, Surly Bevo said:

1.  Horns Down = Go Kick Their Ass

2.  Horns Down =/ Talk about it when you don't take care of point 1.  

image.png.c329faa782ac76b88f2c3f64f09ffe60.png

Seriously, this. Every coach and player on the 40 should have the following answer drilled into their brains for when the idiot reporter baits them into saying something stupid about the opposition doing Horns down.

Reporter: Coach, what did you think about the other team doing Horns down after the game?

Coach: They can do whatever they want. Against any other opponent, they wouldn't bother, so we take it as a show of respect. So that's cool. Hook Em.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm of the opinion that we should make horns down our own.  Have players start flying the horns up, horns down, horns sideways, horns backwards McConaughey style, aggressive horns pointing at you, whatever. 

If we get a first down, get up flashing the horns down in their face. If we dunk on your head, give them the horns down when they are laying on the ground.  Force refs to start penalizing US for doing it.

JMHO. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

I'm of the opinion that we should make horns down our own.  Have players start flying the horns up, horns down, horns sideways, horns backwards McConaughey style, aggressive horns pointing at you, whatever. 

If we get a first down, get up flashing the horns down in their face. If we dunk on your head, give them the horns down when they are laying on the ground.  Force refs to start penalizing US for doing it.

JMHO. 

giphy.gif

Nice try aggy

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby