Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

3 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

This thread's very enlightening.

I learned that last year's success was thanks to Chris Beard and the players. Chris Beard's associate HC and then interim HC for the majority of the season had nothing to do with it.

And this year when we win it's thanks to the players. When we lose it's because RT picked bad players to play for his team. 

It all makes a lot of sense.

There's some hall of fame level cherry picking going on there. 

All I know is that after the thumping of Tech we have a good shot of making the tournament. Hopefully they can pull out a couple of wins that are a little more expected than beating the Red Raiders in Lubbock. Once in, this team is capable of anything in those first two rounds. I'd love to see Terry lead this year's team to the second weekend. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I learned that last year's success was thanks to Chris Beard and the players. Chris Beard's associate HC and then interim HC for the majority of the season had nothing to do with it.

And this year when we win it's thanks to the players. When we lose it's because RT picked bad players to play for his team. 

Jesus, grow up. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I can assure you that we don’t have to worry about that 

Regarding Shaka Smart, I have simple needs. I want more breathing exercises during the last timeout while going up against a Tom Izzo coached team in the tournament. 

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I will say that Beard himself missed on a few recruits/transfers in Tre Mitchel, Arterio and Hunter. RT is paying the price this season for two of those misses. 

Terry had to rebuild the roster and appears to have gone about 50/50 on his transfers this season. I would have liked for him to do better, but it's hard for me to fully judge whether he's capable of running this program or not with the data points we have so far. 

This is a weird team - in large part because it's a weird roster - but it isn't hard for me to believe they could potentially make the 2nd weekend. If they do that, RT will have earned at least two more seasons whether anyone likes it or not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I will say that Beard himself missed on a few recruits/transfers in Tre Mitchel, Arterio and Hunter. RT is paying the price this season for two of those misses. 

Terry had to rebuild the roster and appears to have gone about 50/50 on his transfers this season. I would have liked for him to do better, but it's hard for me to fully judge whether he's capable of running this program or not with the data points we have so far. 

This is a weird team - in large part because it's a weird roster - but it isn't hard for me to believe they could potentially make the 2nd weekend. If they do that, RT will have earned at least two more seasons whether anyone likes it or not. 

Idk. Sweet 16 followed by NIT may be enough?

If he makes the sweet 16 this year he’s set for a bit imo. Gotta go back 15-20 years to find Texas doing that well in consecutive seasons.

I’m not saying we’re gonna make the sweet 16 though. I think round of 32 is most likely. Getting further than that will depend on the draw imo 

I have zero data on hand to back this up, but I suspect a perennial Sweet 16 program has a few Final 4s and even a championship or two under their belt.  Aspiring to the S16 is probably a reasonable goal for Texas.  It's like getting to Omaha.  After that, who knows?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Nah. It’s just amusing to watch you all twist yourself into knots “proving” that RT is a bad coach 

3 hours ago, Deej said:

RT doesn't need anyone's help proving that. 

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, Pancho said:

At this point, you just want attention. 

DetroitHorn was a staunch defender of Shaka for pretty much his entire time here. Misrepresenting people and making up strawmen in order to defend shitty basketball coaches is just what he does. He can’t help himself. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 1

People are actually thinking Texas might make the sweet 16? While a spectacularly lucky set of circumstances makes anything possible, thinking that the sweet 16 is reasonably attainable at this point is laughably stupid. 

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

DetroitHorn was a staunch defender of Shaka for pretty much his entire time here. Misrepresenting people and making up strawmen in order to defend shitty basketball coaches is just what he does. He can’t help himself. 

He’s denying that happened now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

People are actually thinking Texas might make the sweet 16? While a spectacularly lucky set of circumstances makes anything possible, thinking that the sweet 16 is reasonably attainable at this point is laughably stupid. 

What if Shaka is coaching the highest seed on our side of the bracket?

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Thinking it, no? But did anything think Loyola Chicago or St Peter’s would make runs? The NCAAT is about draw, luck and a player or two getting hot. The right draw + Abmas/Disu could get us there. Or we lose in the first round, like Purdue did

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Huh? This team isn't consistent but they have double digit road wins over kenpom 29, 38 and 40. They made 3 sweat on the road. They beat 14 at home. They should have beat 1 at home. 

Yeah Texas has some bad losses but their A game in the right matchup is more than enough to get hot and win a couple tourney games. Teams worse than 27 in kenpom make the sweet sixteen all the fucking time and the B12 has been very good in the tourney for a few years now.

I don't know if they will and they need to make the tourney first but if I'm a 1, 2, 3 seed I don't want a 6-10 seed Texas team opposite me. 

And, also, you know, Terry won 6 postseason games last season. Some guys are just good coaches in tourney settings - he may be one of them.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3

42 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

He’s denying that happened now.

he also claims that he doesn’t care one way or another about chris beard, even though he posts more about beard than anyone else here, and won’t stop making inane “tourney dynamo!” and “saint chris!”  posts all over the board. he would be a lot more tolerable if he would just own his own shit instead of constantly behaving one way and then categorically denying that he posts that way in the very next breath.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

No, but as multiple of us have been saying here for years—you can’t predict the tournament until you know the bracket. 

Saying X team will make the S16 or Y team will make the FF because they beat someone during the regular season is just dumb as fuck. No one knows what *could* happen until you see the bracket and the paths. And even after knowing that, it’s still iffy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Once in, this team is capable of anything in those first two rounds. I'd love to see Terry lead this year's team to the second weekend. 

I'd believe "anything" would be much more likely should we win out in the regular season, not lose until we play Houston or Iowa State in Kansas City, and draw a six seed. 

Anything below that will likely put us as a 7 or 8 seed, and playing a 2 seed on the first weekend is a tall order. 

23 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

It’s not the coach it’s the players is the shift when it fits his narrative. But it is the coach for the rockets when he hated Silas and now the same guy(green) is playing worse under the new coach but it’s green now. Either way Terry will get his shot. College basketball is a combination of great coaches that recruit kids to a system(we don’t have one) and makes them better throughout the season and year to year. It’s probably better to just say that great coaches are few and far between and we haven’t found ours yet. Welll we did but you know. 

with all that, props to Terry for last night. We looked prepared and we played hard so I just would love to see consistency from his team. 

I was against the Jalen Green pick from the very beginning. I knew he couldn't play consistently in the NBA, because he didn't in the Gleague. 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

We are 24 in the BPI right now -- 

If we get a 7 through 10 seed, you're almost certainly correct. 

0-2 (including OT loss) to Houston
0-1 neutral site vs. UConn
0-1 at Marquette (assuming Shaka doesn't play Northern Iowa or Abilene Christian in the Round of 64)

But if we work out way up above that, then the Second Round opponents would include a field of teams like the current three seeds in ESPN's bracketology: Iowa State, Alabama, Duke and Creighton. Then you're a strong shooting night from Abmas or Disu or a solid defensive night by Shadrick away from pulling an upset. 

A lot depends on how things go in Waco on Monday. That game is huge. 

1 minute ago, Reality Check said:

Two of these games were competitive. And I think Texas is better now than they were when they played UCONN.

This team is extremely matchup dependent. There are likely certain matchups within the top 8 we could take advantage of and that could potentially result in a win if the dice fall right.

And yeah, no shit we'd rather be a higher seed. Stunning analysis. Which finishing school did you attend?

54 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

We are 24 in the BPI right now -- 

If we get a 7 through 10 seed, you're almost certainly correct. 

0-1 at Marquette (assuming Shaka doesn't play Northern Iowa or Abilene Christian in the Round of 64)

But if we work out way up above that, then the Second Round opponents would include a field of teams like the current three seeds in ESPN's bracketology: Iowa State, Alabama, Duke and Creighton. Then you're a strong shooting night from Abmas or Disu or a solid defensive night by Shadrick away from pulling an upset. 

A lot depends on how things go in Waco on Monday. That game is huge. 

I don't think it's likely Texas would win a second round game, but that's not the same as saying it's impossible. I watched Penders make a couple of second weekend runs as a #10 seed.

All I know is that it doesn't really matter what path is taken. All that matters is that the team gets there. 

I'm in the SLX camp. Have some genuine concerns about the team's focus and consistency this season, and Terry as a viable head coach, but I would be thrilled to be proven wrong and I will never root against the 'Horns or these players.

And objectively, this team is so Jekyll-and-Hyde that I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow finish 0-for-4 (including the first round of the conference tourney) and miss the NCAAs, or reach the second weekend. There's enough talent there. It's simply a matter of it clicking at the right time and the matchups working in our favor.

I will be very gruntled if the latter happens.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

he also claims that he doesn’t care one way or another about chris beard, even though he posts more about beard than anyone else here, and won’t stop making inane “tourney dynamo!” and “saint chris!”  posts all over the board. he would be a lot more tolerable if he would just own his own shit instead of constantly behaving one way and then categorically denying that he posts that way in the very next breath.

Please put me on ignore. I've been doing my best to not respond to any of this BS. No one wants to see it. I'm doing my part to stop it. Please do yours.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Please put me on ignore. I've been doing my best to not respond to any of this BS. No one wants to see it. I'm doing my part to stop it. Please do yours.

Do better. 

• Haha 3

motown- you just got back from being banned for harassing me. 😂 you’re making my point for me man. everything you claim about yourself sits in stark contrast to reality. just stick to posting about hoops, temper the inane and smarmy ad hominem comments, and everything will be fine.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 2/28/2024 at 7:32 PM, shadow_operative said:

it bothers me that we still have people saying that rodney terry “led us to the elite 8”, because, well, no he didn’t. jabari rice led us there; marcus carr led us there; dylan disu led us there; our three point defense, one of RT’s biggest weaknesses as a coach, led us there. us going to the elite 8 got RT the job, but let’s stop acting like he did anything in particular to lead that team to those wins. the senior laden team who had been well drilled by their previous HC won those games.

I agree with you that players win basketball games. What does that also mean?

21 minutes ago, Slacks said:

I agree with you that players win basketball games. What does that also mean?

It means that Chris Beard took Captain Kirk's idea and reprogrammed the college basketball version of the Kobayashi Maru.

• Haha 1

Sometimes it's impossible to pinpoint if a player has been coached up and is simply fucking up and/or not following the plan, or whether the player is confused/doesn't know how to do something right due to subpar coaching.  What is evident with this team is that it has shown the ability to play great some games and play embarrassingly poor basket ball during other games.  Sometimes the team looks like a sweet 16 team and others it looks like a first round NIT loser over the course of the same game.  The inconsistency represents a significant weaknesses in confidence, focus, conditioning, reacting on the fly, play-calling, fundamentals, etc... all of which suggest shortcomings by the coaching staff in scheming, motivation, substitution patterns, and practice repetition.   Every coach has his weaknesses.  Perhaps this team would be a few wins better if Terry's assistants were stronger at things he is not that great at.  Perhaps he is a bell curve coach at best.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I've been doing some research to track down missing data from the UT basketball media guide/official records and discovered this eight-game trip to El Paso from 1923-24. 

I couldn't help but think of many of you "demanding a consistent level of play" when these were the results. A century later, and college kids are still college kids, and wins and losses can't be preordained by a coach's skill set. Seven wins in eight games away from home but you guys would have been bitching that ol' Doc Stewart isn't the guy to lead this program. I mean, how else can a team that beats someone 39-12 on Christmas Eve come back on the first day of Kwanzaa with a pathetic 15-point offensive output in a five-point loss???

Dec. 24       at Aztec Club                                         W           39-12

Dec. 25       at Sag Shea’s All-Stars                         W           32-19

Dec. 26       at Texas College of Mines (UTEP)     W           53-11

Dec. 27       at Aztec Club                                         L             15-20

Dec. 28       at El Paso High School All-Stars        W           20-8

Dec. 29       at Colonia Dublan Mormons              W           35-15

Dec. 29       at Texas College of Mines (UTEP)     W           40-18

Dec. 31       at Colonia Dublan Mormons              W           45-15

17 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

I've been doing some research to track down missing data from the UT basketball media guide/official records and discovered this eight-game trip to El Paso from 1923-24. 

I couldn't help but think of many of you "demanding a consistent level of play" when these were the results. A century later, and college kids are still college kids, and wins and losses can't be preordained by a coach's skill set. Seven wins in eight games away from home but you guys would have been bitching that ol' Doc Stewart isn't the guy to lead this program. I mean, how else can a team that beats someone 39-12 on Christmas Eve come back on the first day of Kwanzaa with a pathetic 15-point offensive output in a five-point loss???

Dec. 24       at Aztec Club                                         W           39-12

Dec. 25       at Sag Shea’s All-Stars                         W           32-19

Dec. 26       at Texas College of Mines (UTEP)     W           53-11

Dec. 27       at Aztec Club                                         L             15-20

Dec. 28       at El Paso High School All-Stars        W           20-8

Dec. 29       at Colonia Dublan Mormons              W           35-15

Dec. 29       at Texas College of Mines (UTEP)     W           40-18

Dec. 31       at Colonia Dublan Mormons              W           45-15

I’m thinking whoever CDC’s peer was in 1923 fucked up by not snapping up the Aztec Club coach; look at that turnaround in only 3 days! You know that shit would have cost like $150…

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

I’m thinking whoever CDC’s peer was in 1923 fucked up by not snapping up the Aztec Club coach; look at that turnaround in only 3 days! You know that shit would have cost like $150…

How can you ignore the academic success Doc is having with these kids? 

01021924.thumb.jpg.0fd233d80871c931077753c8a62499a6.jpg

Edited by Reality Check
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Reality Check said:

wins and losses can't be preordained by a coach's skill set

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7n0yd911u3ha93t9zqp

Coach K- .766 career win%

Roy Williams- .774

Bob Knight- .710

Dean Smith- .776

Adolph Rupp- .822

John Calipari- .759

Bill Self- .769

Lute Olson- .737

Jerry Tarkanian- .784

Rick Pitino- .710

Mark Few- .836

Tom Izzo- .710

John Wooden .804

great college basketball coaches win 70%-80% of their games, for decades at a time. that’s what they do. i struggle to name another sport on the planet where the head coach is as important and has big of an impact on winning as college basketball. there’s no other sport where the best coaches reach the top of their sport in their early 40’s and then stay there (at 1-2 programs) until they retire in their late 60’s, if not later. this is the one sport where a great coach simply = decades of success.

i mean if there is one lesson that everyone here should have taken from a lifetime of watching Barnes and Beard vs Shaka, RT, Penders, Weltich, etc is that coaching matters more than talent does at this level. beard with shaka’s last team wins the league and goes to the final four. shaka with beard’s first team is out in round 1 of the NIT with lots of guys transferring out. one guy made his team way less than the sum of its parts, the other did the opposite.

in summation, the post that i quoted is one of the most irrefutably false statements ever posted here. it’s the exact opposite of reality. wild, wacky stuff.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Roy Williams- .774

Bob Knight- .710

Dean Smith- .776

Adolph Rupp- .822

John Calipari- .759

Bill Self- .769

Lute Olson- .737

Jerry Tarkanian- .784

Rick Pitino- .710

Mark Few- .836

Tom Izzo- .710

John Wooden .804

great college basketball coaches win 70%-80% of their games, for decades at a time. that’s what they do. i struggle to name another sport on the planet where the head coach is as important and has big of an impact on winning as college basketball. there’s no other sport where the best coaches reach the top of their sport in their early 40’s and then stay there (at 1-2 programs) until they retire in their late 60’s, if not later. this is the one sport where a great coach simply = decades of success.

i mean if there is one lesson that everyone here should have taken from a lifetime of watching Barnes and Beard vs Shaka, RT, Penders, Weltich, etc is that coaching matters more than talent does at this level. beard with shaka’s last team wins the league and goes to the final four. shaka with beard’s first team is out in round 1 of the NIT with lots of guys transferring out. one guy made his team way less than the sum of its parts, the other did the opposite.

in summation, the post that i quoted is one of the most irrefutably false statements ever posted here. it’s the exact opposite of reality. wild, wacky stuff.

Shit, I think I've even had the "argument" with you that college basketball may even be more predictable than the NBA. In any given year, name me the sport's top 10 coaches. I don't give a shit what their roster make-up is...one of those dudes is winning the championship 95% of the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

there was that stat about izzo that got broken semi-recently. he went something like 20 years where, if you played four years for him, you went to the final four. CBB is kinda like high stakes poker before it blew up. there’s always the elements of luck and chance, but you see a lot of the same faces at the final table over and over. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Roy Williams- .774

Bob Knight- .710

Dean Smith- .776

Adolph Rupp- .822

John Calipari- .759

Bill Self- .769

Lute Olson- .737

Jerry Tarkanian- .784

Rick Pitino- .710

Mark Few- .836

Tom Izzo- .710

John Wooden .804

great college basketball coaches win 70%-80% of their games, for decades at a time. that’s what they do.

Nobody's arguing we have Adolph Rupp. 

Yet 40-18 -- isn't that -- (checks math) .689? 

Oh, sure... you want to label him a failure because he took on situations in schools (Fresno State, UTEP) not called Kentucky, North Carolina or UCLA. 

But then again, Rick Barnes going 402-180 here (,691) with one losing season in 16 years was inadequate. 

6 hours ago, Reality Check said:

But then again, Rick Barnes going 402-180 here (,691) with one losing season in 16 years was inadequate. 

I don’t think the issue with Barnes was his overall record. It was that the program seemed to become stagnant.

When he was let go we hadn’t been past the round of 32 in almost a decade and had a losing conference record in 2 of his last 3 seasons 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I don’t think the issue with Barnes was his overall record. It was that the program seemed to become stagnant.

When he was let go we hadn’t been past the round of 32 in almost a decade and had a losing conference record in 2 of his last 3 seasons 

For a couple years late in Rick's tenure at Texas, no school produced more solid draft picks with less to show for it. When he followed up a string of disappointing postseasons with quotes like this, I think we all knew he was on thin ice:

"We would love to win a national championship, but we're not obsessed with it because we're obsessed with these guys trying to live their NBA dream. What's happened to Kevin Durant, LaMarcus Aldridge, T.J. Ford -- I'd give up a national title for all of our guys to be able to live their dream."

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2011/06/29/rick-barnes-and-the-nagging-question

Edited by Gut Wagon
  • Hook 'Em 2