2024 Presidential Election Thread

bolverk

Happy Cracking Up GIF by Regal

• Vivek - too brown, no real name recognition
  • DeSantis - too short and dared to run against him
  • Byron - see Vivek, no real name recognition
  • Tim Scott - see Vivek
  • Tulsi - see Vivek plus I don’t think he’s really interacted with her publicly, plus she brings nothing politically
  • Kristi - It was always her

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

• Vivek - too brown, no real name recognition
  • DeSantis - too short and dared to run against him
  • Byron - see Vivek, no real name recognition
  • Tim Scott - see Vivek
  • Tulsi - see Vivek plus I don’t think he’s really interacted with her publicly, plus she brings nothing politically
  • Kristi - It was always her

Trump likes submissive servants. See Mike Pence bottom bitch. Tim Scott, Tulsi, or Kristi fit the bill

Probably Noem, but Gabbard is also owned by Putin so definitely a sleeper. 

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Trump likes submissive servants. See Mike Pence bottom bitch. Tim Scott, Tulsi, or Kristi fit the bill

Probably Noem, but Gabbard is also owned by Putin so definitely a sleeper. 

I mean, c'mon--we all know it's Noem because Trump thinks if he puts her on the ticket she'd owe him and he'd be able to leverage that into sex.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Lulz:

Guarantee this message was crafted to the reporter to indicate that it's Biden himself ordering this to occur. The campaign needs more that Biden ordered this, or Biden said that. I bet we will rarely hear that a change or directive is sourced from the campaign itself. It's going to Biden and then an action verb.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I mean, c'mon--we all know it's Noem because Trump thinks if he puts her on the ticket she'd owe him and he'd be able to leverage that into sex.

Who are we to judge? 

If you have a huge war chest, you're the known candidate, and you have a messaging problem, why the hell are you not already putting out an ad campaign to change the narrative?

Seems like a steady drumbeat of "record high market, record oil production, record jobs, lower inflation" would do a lot of good right now to prime people for November. 

Maybe they are and I just don't see them because I live in Texas?

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

19 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Who are we to judge? 

It would actually be the first move Trump made that I'd have any respect for.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

If you have a huge war chest, you're the known candidate, and you have a messaging problem, why the hell are you not already putting out an ad campaign to change the narrative?

Seems like a steady drumbeat of "record high market, record oil production, record jobs, lower inflation" would do a lot of good right now to prime people for November. 

I don’t think it’s effective to advertise that far in advance.  There’s downside; if he starts touting his economy now, then come Aug-Oct if the bottom falls out for whatever reason, he would lose the narrative.  Better to save all his ammo until summer then let out a deluge when his talking points are a little more reliable and people are closer to making their decisions.

• Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I don’t think it’s effective to advertise that far in advance.  There’s downside; if he starts touting his economy now, then come Aug-Oct if the bottom falls out for whatever reason, he would lose the narrative.  Better to save all his ammo until summer then let out a deluge when his talking points are a little more reliable and people are closer to making their decisions.

Also that.  February 2024? Ain't nobody paying attention.  He's already bought up most of the airtime

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

In fairness, however, it might not have been a creepy predatory thing.   Her name is "Caite Upton", so we do have to leave open the possibility that this was a Four Seasons Total Landscaping type situation where they just bungled trying to book the actual model Kate Upton.

The odds that it was one of the two, though... pretty close to 100%.

18 hours ago, Js1 said:

Biden raised $42m in January with $130m COH

Trump raised $9m and has $30m COH

It's interesting but comparing Biden's donor numbers from 2019 to now isn't apples to apples and to portray it in a way that even remotely implies it is is shitty reporting.

Broad Democratic cash advantage, though, that's real and meaningful.

Edited by gmr548

18 hours ago, Js1 said:

Biden raised $42m in January with $130m COH

Trump raised $9m and has $30m COH

I know a fair number of people that voted for Trump once or twice that have vowed to never to do it again.  They are conservative, but educated and affluent.  They are “haves” in the current order of things.  Their reasoning is not any sort of empathetic change of heart, it’s rooted in self interest. They seem to realize that Trump is a chaos agent that is likely to destroy the current order of things in which they are winners.  These are the people who have a good amount of disposable income and might normally be donating to a conservative Presidential candidate.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Goredho said:

They seem to realize that Trump is a chaos agent that is likely to destroy the current order of things in which they are winners.

Brave heroes. 

I was told the other day by someone that they will vote for Trump in 2024 because their business did great between 2016-2020.

26 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I know a fair number of people that voted for Trump once or twice that have vowed to never to do it again.  They are conservative, but educated and affluent.  They are “haves” in the current order of things.  Their reasoning is not any sort of empathetic change of heart, it’s rooted in self interest. They seem to realize that Trump is a chaos agent that is likely to destroy the current order of things in which they are winners.  These are the people who have a good amount of disposable income and might normally be donating to a conservative Presidential candidate.

This has always boggled my mind. When working class whites say they support Trump because they feel like he'll blow up the system, I can at least see a certain kind of logic there. But for the reason you outline, I can't for the life of me understand wealthy conservatives backing Trump. My in-laws fall squarely into this category. There is no way that anyone could argue that life in America hasn't been very, very good to them for their entire adult lives. They have it better than probably 98% of people in the country, which means they have it better than probably 99.8% of people on Earth. They should want stability and status quo above all else. Yet not only do they support Trump, they're fucking PISSED at everyone and everything basically 24/7. I. Do. Not. Get it.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tokamak said:

This has always boggled my mind. When working class whites say they support Trump because they feel like he'll blow up the system, I can at least see a certain kind of logic there. But for the reason you outline, I can't for the life of me understand wealthy conservatives backing Trump. My in-laws fall squarely into this category. There is no way that anyone could argue that life in America hasn't been very, very good to them for their entire adult lives. They have it better than probably 98% of people in the country, which means they have it better than probably 99.8% of people on Earth. They should want stability and status quo above all else. Yet not only do they support Trump, they're fucking PISSED at everyone and everything basically 24/7. I. Do. Not. Get it.

People that have a lot often have a lot because they take a lot. They get used to the idea that everyone and everything owes them. Thus, anything they don't have is the fault of someone else not paying what's owed. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Physical fitness?  I get all the other bullet points.  I don’t agree but I get it.  But the physical fitness?  Trump?  Him?  I mean yeah, I guess he invented a new dance I’ve never seen before but otherwise the doesn’t have a physical bone in his body.  

15 minutes ago, tokamak said:

You see, THEY earned their wealth, and all the government does is try to take it away to give to free-loaders. Of course they think that a Trump presidency benefits the wealthy because he doesn't want to pay taxes of follow regulations either.

They think that a "disruptor" like Trump could and should completely blow up the status quo in Washington, but that their lives won't be materially affected--and may even be improved--by this because they achieved their success all on their own. Smart people can be idiots too. I know several who fit this bill.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

It wasn’t a misstep, we all slip up when public speaking.  He spent four minutes blaming Nikki Haley for January 6th police/NG deployment.  He’s going to claim Nancy Pelosi isn’t doing a good job as UN Ambasssdor, people will claim he’s just a straight shooter with Mensa like qualities, and our children are going to have to live underground. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

That's what happens when the media spends days going over Biden's memory and ignores Trump's incoherence. 

I think it was Colbert that played a clip the other day of Trump speaking, and it was about 45 seconds of absolute gibberish. One random thought leading into the next. He started talking about one of his cases, and when he finished he was talking about his golf swing. There is plenty of ammo out there, if they ever want to use it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

It wasn’t a misstep, we all slip up when public speaking.  He spent four minutes blaming Nikki Haley for January 6th police/NG deployment.  He’s going to claim Nancy Pelosi isn’t doing a good job as UN Ambasssdor, people will claim he’s just a straight shooter with Mensa like qualities, and our children are going to have to live underground. 

Btw, he is claiming that when he says things like that, and that he beat Biden in 2016, or Obama in 2020.... he's claiming that he's doing it on purpose. I think he called it sarcasm. 

Because of course he is, otherwise he would have to admit that he made a mistake. I'm not sure if he is physically capable of doing that. Yet another quality of his that you want in a president. 

Hadn’t heard him claim it was sarcasm, that’s a new one.  I mean it tracks given his personality and utter stupidity of his base.  I’ll give him points for creativity at least.  Forgetting that’s not all what sarcasm is.  Is he working the fucking Borsch Belt summer comedy circuit next?

”take me wife.   please!”

this fucking simulation.  

So add sarcasm to the list of words he that doesn't actually know the meaning.

For some reason the one that always really pisses me off is the word tariff. I can't wait for that to come back around this cycle so that I can start yelling at my TV again.

• Haha 1

Dibs on ‘Sarcastic Tariffs’ for my band name.  We mostly just cover gay disco songs while a fat,  alpha male jerks off two poltergeists.  But we’re super popular in Hungary right now.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

does anyone take Ian Miles Wrong seriously? any reputable source on the VP shortlist?

The reputable source is the video of Donald saying they are on his shortlist.  And knowing Dotard, he probably told her beforehand what his shortlist was, because he loves to name drop.

So it’s not Frank Stallone then?  

he actually does, Once in awhile, listen to a handful of people. And they’ll tell him to try to bring back females to the GOP tent after record Dropoff the last few cycles.  All smart money is on Noem right now.  But he’ll find a way to fuck it up.  Or his potential running mate will donate millions to his legal PAC which he needs so he’ll pick thst guy instead.  I detest Noem but she’s the smart pick and is going to around the national political GOP scene for a long while.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/20/2024 at 9:51 AM, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Why Trump is going to win: people can't remember what they felt four years ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/02/13/opinion/thepoint#trump-independent-voters-define

There's a lot of truth to that.  The human brain has a remarkable ability to forget traumatic events as a coping mechanism.  And 2020 was an extremely traumatic national event.  It wasn't just Covid.  We had George Floyd and the whole Black Lives Matter movement.  And, oh by the way, we damned near went to war with Iran after droning the head of the IRGC.

But that's not to say that those suppressed memories can't be recovered.

4 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

The only reason to advertise this far ahead of a November election is to define yourself or your opponent.  But these candidates are already well-defined.

You're right that anything that tries to talk up the status quo is a waste, because the status quo will change between now and November (whether for good or ill remains to be seen).

5 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I hate to tell you . . . and I really do hate to say this, because I abhor this type of cynicism in politics . . . but this is not going to be a positive election focusing on Biden's accomplishments.  This is going to be a very negative campaign.

And that is very good (albeit intensely cynical) politics.  Because while there is no conclusive evidence that negative campaigning helps the candidate undertaking the mudslinging (or hurts him/her due to an anti-negativity backlash), there is conclusive evidence that negative campaigning reduces turnout.  And that's what Biden and the Democrats have to want right now.  As reflected in the midterms and every special election, Democrats excel in low-turnout races.  That's because Democratic voters are (1) more educated, and (2) super-pissed about things like abortion.

Biden has low approval ratings.  That's just how it's going to be.  But if he can convince marginal voters "they both suck, I don't want to vote for either of them," then that's probably a win for him.

So buckle up, folks--we're probably going to see the most negative presidential election in our lifetimes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The smart move would probably be Tim Scott or Byron Donalds. I wouldn't be totally shocked if his advisers convince him to go that route, but with Cheeto the smart money is always on the stupidest move possible. That's why I'm sticking with my prediction of MTG for Veep. 

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The reputable source is the video of Donald saying they are on his shortlist.  And knowing Dotard, he probably told her beforehand what his shortlist was, because he loves to name drop.

I'm genuinely shocked that the uncharismatic loser DeSantis whom Trump was mocking for months is on his shortlist

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

DeSantis brings absolutely no voting base with him. That makes no sense unless he's just fucking with Meatball, hoping Meatball will be dumb enough to further debase himself for Trump's approval.

Trump would also have to move his residency back to NY to pick Ron, which eliminates Stefanik. 

35 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

So buckle up, folks--we're probably going to see the most negative presidential election in our lifetimes.

Man, hard to believe that after 2016

So what, like you just carry around this stuff in a binder with you all the time?  With classified docs?

/wethotamericansummer 

OK, something that’s been creeping me the fuck out the last year so .   Like for real and not just Lobo paranoia.   Look at 90% of the photographs of Trump with other people.  It would stand to reason that he would want the photograph to make him look even taller and more masculine.  But almost every person he’s photographed with either male or female appears to be roughly his same height.   Which, of course, is statistically impossible   And completely flies in the face of what he would probably tell the photographer to do in terms of camera angle.  I am not suggesting that he has a body double or fake.  But there is a reason you have not seen him and Frank Stallone in the same room at the same time