fun in the Congo

Orca of Peace

what do you think? A great place to vacay? 

https://torontosun.com/news/world/gang-rape-cannibalism-beheadings-rife-in-congo-slaughterhouse

The Congo has become the world’s slaughterhouse and the bottom of the barrel in human depravity.

A horrific new report says boys have been forced to rape their mothers, cannibal soldiers are feasting on the flesh and blood of the dying victims and there are beheadings on a daily basis.

United Nations investigators have uncovered a horror show in the Kasai region where rebels and government forces have committed unspeakable atrocities.

Last week, investigators told the UN’s Human Rights Council they suspected all sides were guilty of crimes against humanity.

congo1-e1530818967327.jpg?quality=60&strip=all&w=640&strip=all

A Congolese soldier in the field. A UN report lists a staggering array of depravity in the civil war. THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

“One victim told us that in May 2017 she saw a group of Kamuina Nsapu militia, some of whom sported female genitals as medals,” the report said.

“Some witnesses recalled seeing people cutting up, cooking and eating human flesh, including penises cut from men who were still alive and from corpses, especially FARDC, and drinking human blood.”

According to the report, in one massacre, 186 village men and boys were beheaded.

congo2-e1530819020644.jpg?quality=60&strip=all&w=640&strip=all

The civil war exploded in late 2016 and involves Kamuina Nsapu and Bana Mura militias and Congo’s armed forces, the FARDC.

The 126-page report contains a catalogue of disturbing bloodletting. Among the claims:

— Boys being forced to rape their mothers

— Girls told witchcraft would enable them to catch bullets

— Women forced to choose between gang rape and death.

Congo’s human rights minister claims she was shocked by the report and that the government is looking into it.

Many of the rebel fighters are young children who have been forced to fight. Most are unarmed or using just sticks. The kids believe a witch doctor’s magic makes them invulnerable.

The UN report said many of the child soldiers were slaughtered when FARDC soldiers machine-gunned them.

“The bodies were often buried in mass graves … or were sometimes piled in trucks by soldiers to be buried elsewhere,” the report said.

Investigators believe there may be hundreds of mass graves scattered about the desperate African country.

17 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

Girls told witchcraft would enable them to catch bullets

They caught em alright. Witchcraft, good aim... what's the difference? 

• Like 1

This is one of the most demented travel narratives you will ever read. By the time O'Hanlon wrote this, he'd hacked his way through jungles in Borneo and the Amazon, but this trip pretty much did him in. He's still alive but fucked up by the malaria he caught down there and it all but ended his traveling career, and he had been one of the best travel writers in the history of the genre. 

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

My word that is an interesting read. My coworker recently completed a Cape Town to Cairo drive but I think he steered clear of these sketchier areas.  Props to the women who put up with these shenanigans; we came back from a guided trip to a more innocuous region (Tanz) and that was enough funny stuff for us

9 hours ago, Parliament said:

Fascinating read on expeditionportal, spent way too much reading it.

thanx for the links

That was a cool story and all, but honestly if you even think seriously about a trip through there, you deserve what you get.  There is NOTHING really to see there tourist wise, and you know you're simply tempting fate, and have an excellent chance of being killed or worse (heh heh).

In some ways, the Belgian couple strike me as assholes.  Going into that den of horror, continually refusing to pay the gougers, then expecting to just keep going, that's kind of fucked.  Certainly one of those occasions they would have every chance of being some rotting corpse in yet another road ditch.  They were pretty stupid and naive to just think they had "rights" or something and these groups would simply let them go because they were "in the right."

Odds are next time they tried this shit, the girl would be a vagina badge for some dude and the husband would be neatly carved into pieces and spread all around the wonderful DRC like seasoning on a salad.

• Hook 'Em 1

Early in my career I had the chance to go teach a technical course in the Congo.  My dumbass didn't know at that time if it was DRC, or RC.  Well, still don't.  Would've had drivers and full on guards, and probably none of this 4x4 wild shit there.  Was crazy enough to actually entertain the thought.

23 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

That was a cool story and all, but honestly if you even think seriously about a trip through there, you deserve what you get.  There is NOTHING really to see there tourist wise, and you know you're simply tempting fate, and have an excellent chance of being killed or worse (heh heh)

Aside from searching for the lost city of zinj, of course.

• Haha 1

On 7/15/2018 at 10:00 AM, Parliament said:

This is a great read. I had trouble putting it down. Thank you for posting 

My father was an Air Force C-130 pilot and flew several covert missions in the Congo in the early 1960s. These missions involved dropping local ‘freedom fighter’ types into ‘rebel’ held installations. Very funny story about a whole crew of poorly trained local paratroopers charging out of the back of the C-130 as soon as the cargo doors opened rather than waiting for the jump light to turn green (or however that works) and they all scattered in the wind in the middle of the night over the Congo jungle.

On 7/16/2018 at 1:33 PM, phdhorn said:

That was a cool story and all, but honestly if you even think seriously about a trip through there, you deserve what you get.  There is NOTHING really to see there tourist wise, and you know you're simply tempting fate, and have an excellent chance of being killed or worse (heh heh).

In some ways, the Belgian couple strike me as assholes.  Going into that den of horror, continually refusing to pay the gougers, then expecting to just keep going, that's kind of fucked.  Certainly one of those occasions they would have every chance of being some rotting corpse in yet another road ditch.  They were pretty stupid and naive to just think they had "rights" or something and these groups would simply let them go because they were "in the right."

Odds are next time they tried this shit, the girl would be a vagina badge for some dude and the husband would be neatly carved into pieces and spread all around the wonderful DRC like seasoning on a salad.

Having traveled extensively throughout the shit holes of Africa (I say that lovingly) this is a bit of a misconception. While there are no doubt some bad motherfuckers who will definitely kill you dead, the vast majority of people, particularly on a traveled route, realize you have negative value dead, because dead foreigners bring trouble, and are mostly just really aggressive panhandlers. I’d take this trip before I walked across South Chicago. 

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Having traveled extensively throughout the shit holes of Africa (I say that lovingly) this is a bit of a misconception. While there are no doubt some bad motherfuckers who will definitely kill you dead, the vast majority of people, particularly on a traveled route, realize you have negative value dead, because dead foreigners bring trouble, and are mostly just really aggressive panhandlers. I’d take this trip before I walked across South Chicago. 

I got this theory that you can go anywhere, once.

It's worked so far. When it stops working,, well, I never liked nursing homes anyway.

Wrong. You would rather go to Congo before you go to Southside Chicago?? Lol ok

ultra depressing how fucked places like that are.

local governments, obviously fucked to the core.  

un, ngos, pretty much ineffective.

global citizenry, mostly dont give a damn.

local brain capital, education, culture.... minimal   [not in a derogatory way, in a customs and education way]

then getting fucked by diseases and natural disasters, and exploited from arab slave traders to european colonizers to mineral magnates and now to chinese and ambitious states.... 

these guys are in the deepest deepest well of hopelessly and our grandkids will die before they make any appreciable progress.  SAD!

My younger brother and his wife are 7 months into a two year mission trip in Congo. My brother has a PhD in physics and is teaching math and science at a Congo university. I’m still pissed he went over there. My parents and I pleaded with him not to go, but it didn’t work. I just hope they make it back here without incident. Reading this shit doesn’t help. 

Edited by drewlaws

On 7/15/2018 at 10:00 AM, Parliament said:

Strong read...I did not put it down.  

• 2 years later...
On 7/16/2018 at 1:33 PM, phdhorn said:

FA1255D9-A700-44B4-A345-741630F6272B.jpeg

On 7/19/2018 at 10:11 PM, drewlaws said:

My younger brother and his wife are 7 months into a two year mission trip in Congo. My brother has a PhD in physics and is teaching math and science at a Congo university. I’m still pissed he went over there. My parents and I pleaded with him not to go, but it didn’t work. I just hope they make it back here without incident. Reading this shit doesn’t help. 

did they make it home?

I'll take "what is the most elusive badge in scouting?" for $500, Alex"

merit-badge-sash.jpg 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2