cop chasing bad guy shooting at bad guy through windshield of his cruiser

Gil Bang

That was fucking wild, but after reading the article I can see why the cop with the body camera just unloaded on them at the end.

Officers began to pursue the vehicle, Kelly said. During the pursuit,  two suspects allegedly shot at officers 34 times, “striking multiple marked patrol vehicles.”

Kelly said officers returned fire a total of 32 times.

Edited by 936horn

1 hour ago, Orca of Peace said:

interesting how the bullet trajectory isn't altered by going through glass

shooting out like he was doing makes the bullet rise.  Shooting into a car through the front window makes the bullet go down.

Slide2.jpg

• Like 1

Gotta love him slinging bullets at an elementary school there at the end.  And then taking cover on what looked like a stairway entry into the school, potentially drawing the bad guys' fire toward a doorway.  Other than that, fine work.

/s/ armchair cop who doesn't actually know shit about anything

17 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Why not bump him from behind? You were close enough to mash the gas and hit him.

I guess because the perps had already fired off something like 35 shots at him and his fellow officers.  So the strategy to get closer to give them a better shot was not adopted.

Edited by MAROON
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Woah, wait. You guys are praising this guy for shooting, 1 handed, through a windshield, while bouncing down a road hauling ass? I am not able to agree.

Why not bump him from behind? You were close enough to mash the gas and hit him.

he was in a little bitty ass Ford Escape the perps were in an older much heavier Expedition bumping them would have done nothing especially at low speeds

31 minutes ago, Cody2422 said:

I'm generally on team cop, but I can't support that. That's some grand theft auto shit. Vegas isn't Iraq. If a civilian had been killed, everyone would be all over his ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

true, suppose cars or pedestrians are in front of the perps? bullet goes through the perp car and ricochets in all crazy ways. 

18 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

he was in a little bitty ass Ford Escape the perps were in an older much heavier Expedition bumping them would have done nothing especially at low speeds

That's not how the PIT maneuver works. Cop is extremely lucky that nobody downrange was shot. If it had been on an open road instead of a residential neighborhood my attitude would be different.

18 minutes ago, RPM said:

That's not how the PIT maneuver works. Cop is extremely lucky that nobody downrange was shot. If it had been on an open road instead of a residential neighborhood my attitude would be different.

the person I quoted specifically stated bump them from behind

the PIT still needs higher speeds than they were going at the end of that chase (or the perp going around a corner) and or a closer weight ratio between the two vehicles and an officer trained to do it properly and there was not a lot of room on that road to run up next to them and prepare for that maneuver

not to mention getting close enough to do it while being shot at

the lower the speeds the harder it is to PIT with a lower weight car Vs a much higher weight car.....if the perps were in a Kia or a Honda Accord maybe, but not when they are in a full size older model SUV vs a much smaller and lighter SUV

5 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

the person I quoted specifically stated bump them from behind

And I said that's not how the PIT works. For the sake of discussion, let me say that there wasn't enough difference in mass to prevent a PIT from working. Wasn't exactly a VW vs Greyhound scenario. But, to confirm your post, hitting him straight on from behind is pointless.

They were bad guys, I get that. I also have to wonder how supportive people would be if little kids were shot playing in their yard 2 blocks down the street.

4 hours ago, MAROON said:

shooting out like he was doing makes the bullet rise.  Shooting into a car through the front window makes the bullet go down.

Slide2.jpg

Thus far, I have not needed this information. 

Now, I feel I am prepared if this situation were to arise. Thank you.

39 minutes ago, RPM said:

And I said that's not how the PIT works. For the sake of discussion, let me say that there wasn't enough difference in mass to prevent a PIT from working. Wasn't exactly a VW vs Greyhound scenario. But, to confirm your post, hitting him straight on from behind is pointless.

They were bad guys, I get that. I also have to wonder how supportive people would be if little kids were shot playing in their yard 2 blocks down the street.

my mistake I believed you were directly addressing my comments Vs those of the person I quoted

as to the shooting I think the officer was more aware of his backstop and surroundings than it appears those body cams give only a small view of what is going on and an even shittier one from in a moving vehicle

he was in pretty tight to the perps and I don't think the bullets are going to just go wildly flying who knows where just from going through a windshield (they COULD, but it would be rare)

cops may well have training on those sorts of things about the behaviors of bullets through certain objects

it was probably not the optimum solution, but at the same time the perps were doing plenty of random shooting on their own that could hit innocent people thus you have to weigh your options

13 minutes ago, T-shirt Sip said:

He had the presence of mind to roll down the windows before squeezing off th first shot. That is pretty impressive   

I think he did that when he was thinking he’d try to shoot left handed out the window rather than through his windshield before deciding to go straight ahead. 

5 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

I'm torn on this one. I have zero issues with the police using a gun in this situation (meaning shooting back after being shot at). I'd need to know more about the specifics of the pursuit/perps to decide where I fall on the gun fire.

Murder case. They were shooting at the police pursuing them.

Amazed (yet predictable) at the loss of fine motor skills and critical thinking at the end.

17 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

my mistake I believed you were directly addressing my comments Vs those of the person I quoted

as to the shooting I think the officer was more aware of his backstop and surroundings than it appears those body cams give only a small view of what is going on and an even shittier one from in a moving vehicle

he was in pretty tight to the perps and I don't think the bullets are going to just go wildly flying who knows where just from going through a windshield (they COULD, but it would be rare)

cops may well have training on those sorts of things about the behaviors of bullets through certain objects

it was probably not the optimum solution, but at the same time the perps were doing plenty of random shooting on their own that could hit innocent people thus you have to weigh your options

No prob. I could have worded it better. Hindsight 20/20 and all that, the optimal play would have been back off and let the airship take the lead, try to roadblock, etc. But heat of the moment, adrenaline flowing, I'd probably done the same.