Texas Primaries

A lot of old farts on this thread that still watch broadcast & cable TV. The biggest benefit of cutting the cord is that I’ve seen exactly zero campaign ads on my TV screen this cycle.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, royiv said:

A lot of old farts on this thread that still watch broadcast & cable TV. The biggest benefit of cutting the cord is that I’ve seen exactly zero campaign ads on my TV screen this cycle.

Tell me you don't watch live sports without telling me that you don't watch live sports. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Tell me you don't watch live sports without telling me that you don't watch live sports. 

The only live sports I’m watching at this time of year is college basketball and I watch on streaming so no local political ads.

15 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

The Garza/Sylestine fight seems to be heating up.

4 minutes ago, royiv said:

Garza/Sylvestine ads are all over YouTube.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Not sure that is an accurate reflection of Houston versus Austin. Austin is 76% of the population of Travis County. Houston is about 50% of Harris. 

Add that to the Houston suburbs seeming redder than Austin's and those numbers above track to Houston being at least roughly as Democratic leaning as Austin. 

Yes, Austin suburbs (Hays/Williamson) keep trending blue.  Its amazing to look at the AG maps from 2022 and see counties like Llano/Gillespie/Blanco nearing 80%... couldn't pay me to live there with neighbors like that.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Yes, Austin suburbs (Hays/Williamson) keep trending blue.  Its amazing to look at the AG maps from 2022 and see counties like Llano/Gillespie/Blanco nearing 80%... couldn't pay me to live there with neighbors like that.  

It's hard to believe this is over three years old now, but here are the vote-by-precinct maps for the big Texas metros in 2020 at the same scale.

image.thumb.png.930b45817fd8e9799097f5c4ed7d6491.png

image.thumb.png.8a9a2863b577173879259c642a0168bc.png

image.thumb.png.dae2efdce4b5dfebd4b1d5e466fb359a.png

image.thumb.png.75b3ad79349435907f0f4739e9988c37.png

image.thumb.png.def2867d89a8847e330dcbbfbe082724.png

image.thumb.png.73cc60d51522a95ceff4534acc9ae1c2.png

Edited by bolverk
link added
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

I am disappointed.  I was told that Republicans are true alpha males who don't take shit from anyone, they are the toughest dudes around, and anyone not a Repub is a soyboy.  So...I am disappointed that these super patriotic, champion of the 2nd amendment alpha males didn't do what they are supposed to do, and start shooting each other.  When can we get that?  I'm sick of waiting for these Republicans to actually man up and practice what they preach.  Feel threatened?  Then fucking DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, or be deemed a poser.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Not much chatter about early vote totals.

went this afternoon. there was no one voting when me and my gf walked in, but as we left every machine was occupied and there was a line - great timing!. thinking people kinda forgot and remembered, like i did, that today was the last day to early vote.

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

"I feel very threatened right now?" Good lord.

If you read it in the voice of Sol Rosenberg and add “and I’ll bring my shoes and my glasses with me.  So I have them.”   It takes a bit of the doomsday flavor off of it.  Fantastic then…

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, bolverk said:

It's hard to believe this is over three years old now, but here are the vote-by-precinct maps for the big Texas metros in 2020 at the same scale.

image.thumb.png.930b45817fd8e9799097f5c4ed7d6491.png

image.thumb.png.8a9a2863b577173879259c642a0168bc.png

image.thumb.png.dae2efdce4b5dfebd4b1d5e466fb359a.png

image.thumb.png.75b3ad79349435907f0f4739e9988c37.png

image.thumb.png.def2867d89a8847e330dcbbfbe082724.png

image.thumb.png.73cc60d51522a95ceff4534acc9ae1c2.png

I did my best to turn Decatur blue that year, but only 457 other people (20%) in my precinct were with me. These maps are really cool.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Not going to freak out about lower D numbers when we don’t have a competitive race and they do.  1000’s of dems voted on the Republican side. We just don’t know how many.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

The wife and I both voted in the Republican primary, specifically to try and prop up the more sane Republicans (Haley, any candidate that Paxton is coming after).

We'll be voting for the Democratic candidates come November.

I vote on the GOP side most of the time in the spring and dem side 100% of the time in the fall. I figure if anything I’ll just dilute the vote totals of people I hate as much as possible, even if they probably aren’t going to lose.

Edited by Voldemort86

13 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Not going to freak out about lower D numbers when we don’t have a competitive race and they do.  1000’s of dems voted on the Republican side. We just don’t know how many.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Mind summarizing for those of us not on Twitter?

The little experience (1 case and he fucked that up) that a candidate for the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, Lee Finley, has by examining online Texas appellate records.

• Hook 'Em 1

The little experience (1 case and he fucked that up) that a candidate for the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, Lee Finley, has by examining online Texas appellate records.

Shorter summary: his sole qualification is that he’s running against a judge Paxton hates because she followed the law.
Our dominant party is fucking psychotic.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Can someone give me a compelling reason to vote tomorrow?  

If you don't vote for the morons, the ultra-morons will win.

• Rage+1 2

Yeah, but they are almost all to a person of very low self-esteem.  Seeing somebody get within 50,000 votes of them scares the shit out of them.  Vulnerable people feeling weak makes them abuse substances and even consider suicide.  Plus, I dunno, I like getting the little sticker.  

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

My concern is the ultra-morons will win anyway.  And if they don't, I'm still fucked.

Apathy is what got Fitlump elected.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

It's your civic duty, and an important habit to just have. 

55 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

My concern is the ultra-morons will win anyway.  And if they don't, I'm still fucked.

I guess the upside is if you can't get off your ass for 20 minutes to exercise your most basic freedom, you probably won't miss it all that much when it's taken away from you.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Because failure to vote, even in primaries, is why republicans and or crazies and bad candidates tend to win local elections and set policy that affects your day to day life more than the lege and Congress 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

It's your civic duty, and an important habit to just have. 

I guess the upside is if you can't get off your ass for 20 minutes to exercise your most basic freedom, you probably won't miss it all that much when it's taken away from you.

Lighten up Francis.  This will be the first primary I'd have missed since 2014.

Anybody got a link to a cheat sheet for less batshit crazy republicans?  I'm an independent that will be voting D in the fall (outside of some local races in Dallas) but not following any of this closely outside of obvious vote for Haley to the extent I vote tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Anybody got a link to a cheat sheet for less batshit crazy republicans?  I'm an independent that will be voting D in the fall (outside of some local races in Dallas) but not following any of this closely outside of obvious vote for Haley to the extent I vote tomorrow.

https://lwvtx.clubexpress.com/voters-guide#gsc.tab=0

Just now, FirstTimeCaller said:

Dems say "I'll catch the next one."

Will they? Eh.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Depending on where you live tomorrow is potentially the de facto general election. That's probably the biggest one.

Lawyers/Houston folks - any particular judicial recommendations to sell me on for judicial seats in the Democratic primary? There are so many in Harris County and it can be hard to find good information. 

After reading today’s NY Times article I’m intrigued to see Phelan’s race results.  One quote stood out:

“I wasn’t unsatisfied” with Mr. Phelan, said Randy Jarrell, who nonetheless said he voted for Mr. Covey. He said the Trump endorsement had an impact on him and his wife, who also backed the challenger.

The D side doesn't have much to vote on, yet, save for Garza and Ogg

Looking at the sample ballot in my county there are 11 contested State races and 3 Federal on the D ballot.

On the R ballot there are 32 State and 5 Federal.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Depending on where you live tomorrow is potentially the de facto general election. That's probably the biggest one.

Lawyers/Houston folks - any particular judicial recommendations to sell me on for judicial seats in the Democratic primary? There are so many in Harris County and it can be hard to find good information. 

We have a friend who works downtown in the courts. She was adamant that you have to vote out Ursula Hall, as not only is she only there based on nepotism, she doesn't do her job. Like at all. Like she'll push cases down the road for years at a time and do nothing. 
https://texaslawbook.net/houston-judge-beats-the-buzzer-on-facing-contempt-proceedings/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

31 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

After reading today’s NY Times article I’m intrigued to see Phelan’s race results.  One quote stood out:

I just get a vibe that the primary challenges are going to be defeated soundly. I think that the people that vote in primaries are more in-tuned to politics than the average voter in a general so they can see through some of the BS and know that it's due to the voucher bill garbage. It also seems like the candidates they put up to challenge aren't that serious. Liz Case living in Dallas and having a ranch in Abilene? 

If Phelan loses, I will be shocked. That name is well-known in the area and holy shit would you seriously vote out the only Speaker of the House your area has ever had because of school vouchers? Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

1 hour ago, TexPx said:

Looking at the sample ballot in my county there are 11 contested State races and 3 Federal on the D ballot.

On the R ballot there are 32 State and 5 Federal.

yeah, the D-side ballot was kinda laughable. seemed like more than half the races had no opponent.