Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

I guess what I'm wondering is if any one of these brands tends to have more problems more so than others?  Contextually, I've heard the negative reviews on Ford with all their recalls.  Similar with the death wobble on GM trucks.  Is it all just the hum drum of folks pimping their own brand?

2 hours ago, Spur08 said:

I guess what I'm wondering is if any one of these brands tends to have more problems more so than others?  Contextually, I've heard the negative reviews on Ford with all their recalls.  Similar with the death wobble on GM trucks.  Is it all just the hum drum of folks pimping their own brand?

I have a 2020 Texas Edition Z71 1500 Silverado LT 4WD Crew Cab with a few trim package upgrades.  I have over 85,000 miles on it.  I drive it everywhere.  I have driven up to Vermont and all along the eastern seaboard.  Have driven it to Wyoming and the Dakotas numerous times and out west to Utah, Colorado, NM, and Arizona several times.  It rides like a charm.  So comfortable.

At Zion

image.thumb.jpeg.afc5c8ca0c1a6cb7328209dfec5eb8f4.jpeg

2 hours ago, Spur08 said:

Ford and Dodge own the death wobble. It’s been going on for 20 years.  They all have something that will piss you off and shouldnt have to deal with for the 55-110k price tag.   Will add to my complaint about seats earlier, the Fords seats do cool better than the GMs imo. At least better than my wife’s.  

Edited by fattyflattie

My FIL owns a large full-service repair and transmission shop. I asked him point-blank what he would buy and he said Tundra. He has replaced about 10 transmissions a week for the last 30 years. When he and my wife talk shop they speak in transmission and engine models. His shop is full of Dodge, GM, and Ford pickups, but rarely a Toyota.

The shop guys all have well-maintained Tacomas/4 runners with 300k miles

His daily driver is an F150 platinum, but then again he owns his own shop.

I love my 2018 Tundra for its reliability but if ride/economy/luxury were a priority I would probably own a different brand. I'm already thinking about getting an EV for daily driving and just keeping the truck for towing.
  • Like 2

My FIL owns a large full-service repair and transmission shop. I asked him point-blank what he would buy and he said Tundra. He has replaced about 10 transmissions a week for the last 30 years. When he and my wife talk shop they speak in transmission and engine models. His shop is full of Dodge, GM, and Ford pickups, but rarely a Toyota.

The shop guys all have well-maintained Tacomas/4 runners with 300k miles

His daily driver is an F150 platinum, but then again he owns his own shop.

I love my 2018 Tundra for its reliability but if ride/economy/luxury were a priority I would probably own a different brand. I'm already thinking about getting an EV for daily driving and just keeping the truck for towing.
The downside is a tundra isn't pulling a loaded 40' car hauler. I'm not a fan of newer vehicles (and payments) but as stated above all manufacturers have issues. Once you identify those and get those fixed most will live a good life assuming regular maintenance is done. This has been my experience as a mechanic.

At that point, you just have to deal with random shit, like a sidewall blowout. 57e2f694cb879475d36a7a11e89187a2.jpg
  • Like 1

The downside is a tundra isn't pulling a loaded 40' car hauler. I'm not a fan of newer vehicles (and payments) but as stated above all manufacturers have issues. Once you identify those and get those fixed most will live a good life assuming regular maintenance is done. This has been my experience as a mechanic.

At that point, you just have to deal with random shit, like a sidewall blowout. 57e2f694cb879475d36a7a11e89187a2.jpg

True. Admittedly, it is a strange flex to love a truck for its simplicity and lack of tech.

True. Admittedly, it is a strange flex to love a truck for its simplicity and lack of tech.
It's not for everyone I know. My love for simplicity is based on always being able to work on it, I truly love and enjoy that (see muscle car thread.) Then again most people don't keep vehicles for 10+ years either.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mother mopar said:
2 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

It's not for everyone I know. My love for simplicity is based on always being able to work on it, I truly love and enjoy that (see muscle car thread.) Then again most people don't keep vehicles for 10+ years either.

I get it.   16 years on mine right now and just put $$ into it for first time about 6 months ago (never been in an actual shop).   I’m thinking in another few years maybe I’ll have wrapped my head around 80k trucks.  Probably not.   

• Like 1

Well, CHIEF Jr. is living at home ratholing money after college. One of our friends, the one that would be giving him a construction loan to build his house, said he would need to buy something before any lender would ever give him a loan (he has a high credit score but almost no credit history). So what does the little fucker come home with? A TRX.

Jeffrey-TRX.png

That is his old beater truck behind it that he decided to keep since they wouldn't give him much for it.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

19 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Well, CHIEF Jr. is living at home ratholing money after college. One of our friends, the one that would be giving him a construction loan to build his house, said he would need to buy something before any lender would ever give him a loan (he has a high credit score but almost no credit history). So what does the little fucker come home with? A TRX.

Jeffrey-TRX.png

That is his old beater truck behind it that he decided to keep since they wouldn't give him much for it.

CHIEF

How much for that ride?

• Haha 2

On 12/7/2023 at 5:08 PM, BearSchlong said:

I have a 2004 F-150 SuperCrew.  It was my daily driver until 2011, when it was retired to ranch duty and hauling stuff.  My ex borrowed it and blew the the engine.  I bought a crate engine from Ford and my Nephew put it in for me.  The body is beaten to shit, and the interior is a mess, but it runs like a Swiss watch.  I haul the dogs, drive it to the ranch, and haul shit.  It's easy to work on, and it will probably outlast me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I got the SLT loaded up with everything I wanted including the 6.2. But I didn’t want the 22s of the Denali. Think sticker on mine was $10-12k less than a Denali. I can’t think of anything it doesn’t have that I’d want.

996b2ac985a27cf94a31372c1703b48e.jpg

Good stuff

Do you run premium in the 6.2?

I don’t tow anything today but could foresee doing more of that before my next truck in 7-10 years and don’t want to be stuck needing a new truck for a larger engine because I went 5.3 on this round 

On 12/9/2023 at 11:54 AM, tx 3 putt said:

Honestly good for him though, its a great feeling buying a damn nice truck 

Holy shit. We went to the deer lease in the TRX. I have never ridden in anything like it. it will settle in at 90-92 mph on the highway in 8th gear on 35s. Never hunts gears or downshifts. Got around 12-13 mpg. We are nine miles into a ranch with dirt roads, extremely steep hills, and rock ledges. In my F-350 it will shake your fillings out of your teeth, and take you about 40 minutes to get to camp. With 13 inches of suspension travel we made it in less than 20 minutes, felt like we were riding on a cloud. It has a baja mode that changes the valving on the shocks that slows the shock rebound. He did his homework, and I can definitely see the allure. This truck isn't a pavement queen, its gonna see some shit. But this trip was truly eye opening. He put down a huge down payment, so his truck payment, fuel, and insurance can be paid with one week's pay, so he didn't do something completely idiotic. It rides smoother than my wife's Lexus on bumpy roads by a good bit.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Good stuff

I don’t tow anything today but could foresee doing more of that before my next truck in 7-10 years and don’t want to be stuck needing a new truck for a larger engine because I went 5.3 on this round 

The 6.2 is a really nice motor.  Put nearly 300k miles on wife's first Denali without any real issue (actually just sold to lawn guys who are going to take to Mexico) and have about 75k on the second one now.  Never has given us any trouble.  5.3 didnt either, but 6.2 is considerably more responsive.   

ETA: never have run premium.  But gas doesnt sit long in it either. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/10/2023 at 3:51 PM, CHIEF said:

Holy shit. We went to the deer lease in the TRX. I have never ridden in anything like it. it will settle in at 90-92 mph on the highway in 8th gear on 35s. Never hunts gears or downshifts. Got around 12-13 mpg. We are nine miles into a ranch with dirt roads, extremely steep hills, and rock ledges. In my F-350 it will shake your fillings out of your teeth, and take you about 40 minutes to get to camp. With 13 inches of suspension travel we made it in less than 20 minutes, felt like we were riding on a cloud. It has a baja mode that changes the valving on the shocks that slows the shock rebound. He did his homework, and I can definitely see the allure. This truck isn't a pavement queen, its gonna see some shit. But this trip was truly eye opening. He put down a huge down payment, so his truck payment, fuel, and insurance can be paid with one week's pay, so he didn't do something completely idiotic. It rides smoother than my wife's Lexus on bumpy roads by a good bit.

CHIEF

All that tech.   Lots that will break.   Opted for a Tundra with bilsteins.   Basic but unbreakable.  E rated tires round it out.  

• Like 2

It will depreciate more, but nothing like a comparable 1/2 ton pickup.  Depending on when he gets back out, he might do OK.  Loaded diesels are still going about 80%+ of sticker for first 3-4 years/100k miles.   Many were paying sticker (or a bit more) 2 years ago, but nowhere close back in 17-18.    The owners of the 17-18s are proving them alongside the rest. Look at high end custom boats of Texas. People are still selling simmons’ for what they paid >10-12 years ago, as new ones have become 200k (unaffordable for many) purchases.   There’s ALOT more people that can buy a 70k pickup than a 115k pickup.   Then again  markets change, all the time. 

Good stuff

No on premium. I really just got the 6.2 because whatever smaller motor I had in my Tahoe felt underpowered on road trips (which around here usually involve mountains). Great on road trips. I assume it will tow probably anything I’d want to tow but haven’t needed it so far.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

It will depreciate more, but nothing like a comparable 1/2 ton pickup.  Depending on when he gets back out, he might do OK.  Loaded diesels are still going about 80%+ of sticker for first 3-4 years/100k miles.   Many were paying sticker (or a bit more) 2 years ago, but nowhere close back in 17-18.    The owners of the 17-18s are proving them alongside the rest. Look at high end custom boats of Texas. People are still selling simmons’ for what they paid >10-12 years ago, as new ones have become 200k (unaffordable for many) purchases.   There’s ALOT more people that can buy a 70k pickup than a 115k pickup.   Then again  markets change, all the time. 

The window sticker was $88k new, they wanted $85k, but lowered it to $81k to match the price of a comparable truck. I imagine the original owner paid about $10k over. 2024 is the last year for the supercharged 6.2L V8. They are going to go with the new Hurricane I6 with twin turbos, so hp will drop about 150 hp. CHIEF Jr. tried to talk me into buying one of the 900+ hp Dodge Demons and put it in storage a few years back, said I could double my money in five years or less. I told him that was idiotic. Well...he was right. 

We were talking with the guys at the dealership the other night. They said that anything with the hellcat, or helliphant engine that was new was picked up on a trailer most of the time. Many are being bought by Trusts as investments. They had three of the new Demon 170s on the floor. Window sticker was $125k, they were listed at $250k and all three were sold. All of the new Hellcat Chargers and Challengers are going to be electric.

CHIEF

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

No on premium. I really just got the 6.2 because whatever smaller motor I had in my Tahoe felt underpowered on road trips (which around here usually involve mountains). Great on road trips. I assume it will tow probably anything I’d want to tow but haven’t needed it so far.

I can’t find any 6.2s on the SLT trim. swore that was an option. 
but maybe not for the 2024 year model? (Or just none are being delivered right now?) 

I respect what you’re saying about road trips but planning to just stick with the 5.3.

I can’t find any 6.2s on the SLT trim. swore that was an option. 
but maybe not for the 2024 year model? (Or just none are being delivered right now?) 
I respect what you’re saying about road trips but planning to just stick with the 5.3.

I just randomly found it on the lot one day. Might have to order.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The window sticker was $88k new, they wanted $85k, but lowered it to $81k to match the price of a comparable truck. I imagine the original owner paid about $10k over. 2024 is the last year for the supercharged 6.2L V8. They are going to go with the new Hurricane I6 with twin turbos, so hp will drop about 150 hp. CHIEF Jr. tried to talk me into buying one of the 900+ hp Dodge Demons and put it in storage a few years back, said I could double my money in five years or less. I told him that was idiotic. Well...he was right. 
We were talking with the guys at the dealership the other night. They said that anything with the hellcat, or helliphant engine that was new was picked up on a trailer most of the time. Many are being bought by Trusts as investments. They had three of the new Demon 170s on the floor. The window sticker was $125k, they were listed at $250k and all three were sold. All of the new Hellcat Chargers and Challengers are going to be electric.
CHIEF

As a Mopar enthusiast, you're not going to double your money on a demon in 5 years, hate to break it to ya but he's wrong.

You can pick up Hellcat motors for $17k ish all day. The Hellelephant is a different beast as that is a limited run of engines, roughly 100 I think. What people are doing is what they didn't/couldn't afford to do in the 60s/70s and that's to buy the largest motor available in a car and pigeonhole them.

Here's the thing, the demand for those cars takes years and/or decades to happen. Then people say I want $200k for my used car. People confuse rarity with desirability and in the end, you gotta find a buyer.

There's a sucker born every minute but those folks dropping that kind of coin don't grow on trees.

On 6/29/2023 at 5:32 PM, Storm the Field said:

Just wrapped up the haggling. Going to pick her up Saturday morning since it's out at a dealership way out in the sticks. 

730bd4f7663be202ccbb4d7c6a0330d8.jpg

Finally going to finish getting this one the way I want it this weekend. Dropping off Saturday morning to get a bedliner sprayed-in and a Bakflip tonneau cover installed.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Spur08 said:
On 12/13/2023 at 4:12 PM, Storm the Field said:
Finally going to finish getting this one the way I want it this weekend. Dropping off Saturday morning to get a bedliner sprayed-in and a Bakflip tonneau cover installed.

Curious what price you got quote for those

All in was $1650, installed.

1 hour ago, Elvis said:

Retrax is the best. It doesn’t obstruct your rear view when rolled up. You lose a little bed space for the canister though.

My last F150 hat I bought used came with a retractable cover installed. It was great for the first year or so, but eventually some part broke and it would no longer retract from pulling the cord. Had to manually push it open, which was not easy. Eventually it could only open halfway, which made it less than useless. I finally just tore the whole thing out. Guy at a truck accessory store told me the retractable covers pretty much always eventually break.