Texas (+6.5) vs Tennessee - Saturday at 7pm on CBS

8 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Someone please ask RT why he sat Weaver in crunch time.

It infuriated me.  I was infuriated.

The one dude that was balling his ass off all game long and you're pulling defense / offense / matchup bullshit?  I assume that's why they took him out because there's no way there were five other Texas players playing better and giving better effort than him all night long.

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

When they had to take out the one big dude with four fouls and about 8:00 left I posted we needed to drive the basket and take it straight at yabba dabba Aidoo and draw fouls on him.  I think he had 3 or 4 his own self.

Corch Barnes would have been really puckered if he had to play without both of them.  Granted you put your best players back in with 4:00 or so no matter how many fouls they have and hope for the best; but we had a good 3-4 minute stretch where we could have put them at a big disadvantage inside and did jack shit to exploit it.

Hunter had like 4 layups in the last 6 minutes of the game. We took it to the basket more than we did the rest of the game combined. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, chemHORN said:

Part of me wants to give Terry credit for being in the game at the end and part of me realizes we shot 12 FT's in the entire game while being in the Bonus for the last 10 minutes of the game.  

I don’t think you can emphasize this point enough.

• Hook 'Em 3

Everyone thought our season would turn around once Disu returned from his injury. Then he decides to stink it up in the tourney. Abmas, another one of supposed saviors, also decides to do his best Houdini act during our most important games. You just don't know who is going to show up in the crunch time. That's why it's hard to get excited about future recruits and transfers who may or may not pan out even though they might look good on paper.

3 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

TOs were not good but the defense was very solid.  I would simply look at  Dusu 4-18 and Abmas 3-10.   Not going to win any games with that shit.  Hard to watch.  

at one point Disu was 53 percent from 3 during conf play.  He started to regress to the mean.  he would also get bullied in the post a bit too much.

Abmas was way more disappointing to me.  He just completely disappears for long stretches.

14 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Hunter had like 4 layups in the last 6 minutes of the game. We took it to the basket more than we did the rest of the game combined. 

One more would have been pretty cool.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I know no one on this board ever wants to be reasonable, especially after a loss. But it was a pretty good season. Tennessee is clearly the more talented team and we still almost stole one.

We do need to get to work in the portal though, because I think our problems are much more about roster construction than anything in-game. This wasn’t actually a sweet 16 caliber team. There’s a reason we had to muck up games to have a chance.

I agree with you. 

Need consistent shooters that can defend.

Need a consistently healthy big that can be big.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

It was painful to watch. I figured going in that this was the last game of the season. I take no solace in a close game. For the first time in years I feel better about the football program than the basketball.

The fix was in from the pre-game animation where both little cartoon players were in Tennessee orange.

• Hook 'Em 1

- Disu sucked. 

- Hunter sucked for 35 minutes and should’ve shot the ball coming off that screen with about 16 seconds left. So many dumbass turnovers. 

- Our rebounding weakness showed at a bunch of key possessions in the second half. 

- Weaver on the bench while Brock played down the stretch was dumb. 

- We played fucking hard and could have easily been blown out. Terry can definitely motivate, I just think we were at a talent deficit in this game. 

- My first point is why we lost. 

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Abmas was way more disappointing to me.  He just completely disappears for long stretches.

If by long stretches you mean the end of the season, the B12 tournament and the last two games, then yes, very disappointing.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, MrX said:

- Disu sucked. 

He was physically overmatched.  The stupid threes are on the coach.

I feel like the game was lost by all the stupid turnovers when their big man was out with fouls in the first half.

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

It was painful to watch. I figured going in that this was the last game of the season. I take no solace in a close game. For the first time in years I feel better about the football program than the basketball.

Well, yeah. The football team is a legitimate national championship contender.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, David Dennison said:

Well, yeah. The football team is a legitimate national championship contender.

Well until Beard and girlfriend made news I was thinking about it in those terms about this team too. Now I just don't know. Trajectory change and it's depressing.

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

He was physically overmatched.  The stupid threes are on the coach.

I feel like the game was lost by all the stupid turnovers when their big man was out with fouls in the first half.

The late stuff felt forced but his first many looks were good shots. The missed layup late that Hunter couldn’t finish the putback was backbreaking. 

True Detective Time GIF

barnes got the rub of the green tonight when it went against him in close tournament games so many times before. 

• disu missed a layup to tie it and Hunter missed the put back. 

• Tenn’s 61% ft shooting big power forward swished 2 free throws on a 1-1 to go up 3 (we missed a ton of those same scenarios when Barnes was our coach)

• Tenn’s 70% ft shooter goes 4 for 4 to close it out

Just how it goes sometime

1 hour ago, VinyVango said:

That abmas off balance three pointer with 20 seconds left rather than a drive and attempt to draw a foul was piss poor play calling or pure shit if the 5th year player decided to ad lib there … either way stupidity

weaver’s minutes + disu and max’s shot selection all fall on RT. you cannot keep your catalyst on the bench for the most important minutes of the season, and you cannot give your only two offensive weapons carte blanche to take stupid shots all game long. the dylan disu that dominated the postseason last year was destroying teams from 15 feet and in, not relentlessly jacking up threes no matter how many he missed. thus is the mercurial nature of this team. they are neither disciplined enough nor well drilled enough to be consistently good.

coming out of the locker room for the 2H RT told the lady reporter that we needed to get our shots on our terms- the shots that we wanted within our offense. at no point in the second half did he actually enforce that policy, including/especially when abmas decided that fading away in the deep corner was a great idea for the most important shot of the season. tennessee missed a ton of bunnies and open looks, but their players were so much more disciplined and avoided taking the plethora of stupid shots that we did. we left their poor shooters unmanned on the perimeter and those guys never once considered shooting, instead opting for quick, decisive passes to keep the offense flowing. that’s coaching. the master beat the apprentice tonight, and the shot selection may be the biggest reason why. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Stellar performance by Dillon Mitchell - 2 pts, 4 rebs in 26 minutes 

I haven't watched much until the last couple of weeks -- does Mitchell have any offensive moves?  Have they ever run a play for him that's not a lob?

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I haven't watched much until the last couple of weeks -- does Mitchell have any offensive moves?  Have they ever run a play for him that's not a lob?

No. Him coming back was actually a detriment. Nobody would have said that 8 months ago though.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Charles Barkley once said about DeAndre Jordan, “If you left him in a gym overnight by himself and told him he couldn’t dunk, he’d have 4 points in the morning.”

Sadly, that basically applies here too. 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Tennessee went 3 for 25 from 3 tonight. That is 12% on a high volume. 

their top four three-point shooters- dalton knecht (1-8), zakai zeigler (1-8), santi vescovi (0-3), and jordan gainey (0-4)- went a combined 2-23. the rest of their team , aka their bad shooters, went 1-2 over 40 minutes.

why do you make me do this to you so often? 

Edited by shadow_operative

17 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

weaver’s minutes + disu and max’s shot selection all fall on RT. you cannot keep your catalyst on the bench for the most important minutes of the season, and you cannot give your only two offensive weapons carte blanche to take stupid shots all game long. the dylan disu that dominated the postseason last year was destroying teams from 15 feet and in, not relentlessly jacking up threes no matter how many he missed. thus is the mercurial nature of this team. they are neither disciplined enough nor well drilled enough to be consistently good.

coming out of the locker room for the 2H RT told the lady reporter that we needed to get our shots on our terms- the shots that we wanted within our offense. at no point in the second half did he actually enforce that policy, including/especially when abmas decided that fading away in the deep corner was a great idea for the most important shot of the season. tennessee missed a ton of bunnies and open looks, but their players were so much more disciplined and avoided taking the plethora of stupid shots that we did. we left their poor shooters unmanned on the perimeter and those guys never once considered shooting, instead opting for quick, decisive passes to keep the offense flowing. that’s coaching. the master beat the apprentice tonight, and the shot selection may be the biggest reason why. 

Ha. It was a fucking 4 point game. Texas played like shit and still had a chance to steal it. Barnes is trash.

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Ha. It was a fucking 4 point game. Texas played like shit and still had a chance to steal it. Barnes is trash.

so tennessee has a trash coach, had an important player in foul trouble all night, shot 33% from the field and 3-25 from deep, and rodney terry’s team…lost by four? that’s your argument to my post which criticized RT’s coaching job tonight? 

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

so tennessee has a trash coach, had an important player in foul trouble all night, shot 33% from the field and 3-25 from deep, and rodney terry’s team…lost by four? that’s your argument to my post which criticized RT’s coaching job tonight? 

You also called Rick Barnes “the master” so you might be biased. 

Just now, UTEE97 said:

He is the "master" because RT was his assistant. Try to catch up.

I’m aware of that fact. So do you think propping Barnes up on the premise is positive?

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

“the master vs the apprentice”. there’s no editorializing there, that’s what this coaching matchup was.

See above. 

1 minute ago, MrX said:

I’m aware of that fact. So do you think propping Barnes up on the premise is positive?

See above. 

RT came from the Barnes coaching tree, so there is a "master and apprentice" relationship there. I don't think it's deeper than that.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Gainey a 28% 3 point shooter went 0-4

Ziegler a 35% 3 point shooter went 1-8

Vescovi a 33% 3 point shooter went 0-3

Some Neo in the Matrix magic shit!

the entire point of my post is that rick barnes’s players are more disciplined and well drilled than RT’s. i said as much in the post. the tennessee shooters, imperfect as they may be, took the shots they were supposed to take, the shots that their staff wants them to take. RT’s players do what shaka’s players did, and fire up idiotic, low percentage shots with zero coaching correction. that’s just a fact. you can be up in here acting cute all you want, but time has proven beyond a doubt that a rick barnes team is well drilled and well disciplined, and that an RT coached team isn’t. that was once again on display tonight, including/especially in the respective shot selection of each team, as well as the litany of ridiculous turnovers.

Edited by shadow_operative

• Pancho unpinned this topic