2024 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Who’s a JAG now?

sith_horn

LOOK: Texas football players, coaches during the first day of spring practice - Longhorns Wire

Lot's of first day pics

Spoiler

LOOK: Texas football players, coaches during the first day of spring practice

USATSI_22810841.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
March 19, 2024 4:08 pm CT

Texas held its first practice of spring ball on Tuesday.

It provided a glimpse of several newcomers sporting the burnt orange for the first time, including wide receiver Isaiah Bond, running back Christian Clark and wide receiver Ryan Wingo among others.

Head coach Steve Sarkisian seemed to be pleased with the energy and preparation from his team on Tuesday. “This was a pretty good starting point for us. You can tell the guys have been in their playbooks and studying. You can tell the intent of our coaches,” Sarkisian said to the media after practice.

Here’s a look at the best photos from Texas’ first day of spring ball.

USATSI_22810868.jpg?w=1000

Syndication: Austin American-Statesman
Texas Longhorns quarter backs Arch Manning during spring practice at the Frank Denius practice fields in…

USATSI_22810861.jpg?w=1000

Texas Longhorns football spring practice at the Frank Denius practice fields in Austin, Tuesday, March 19,…

USATSI_22810845.jpg?w=1000

Texas Longhorns wide receiver Isaiah Bond during football spring practice at the Frank Denius practice fields…

USATSI_22810843.jpg?w=1000

Texas Longhorns wide receiver Isaiah Bond during football spring practice at the Frank Denius practice fields…

USATSI_22810842.jpg?w=1000

Texas Longhorns football spring practice at the Frank Denius practice fields in Austin, Tuesday, March 19,…

USATSI_22810830.jpg?w=1000

USATSI_22810826.jpg?w=1000

Texas Longhorns quarterback Quinn Ewers during spring practice at the Frank Denius practice fields in Austin,…

USATSI_22810825.jpg?w=1000

Texas Longhorns quarterback Quinn Ewers during spring practice at the Frank Denius practice fields in Austin,…

USATSI_22810805.jpg?w=1000

Texas Longhorns Head Coach Steve Sarkisian during spring practice at the Frank Denius practice fields in…

USATSI_22810841_6bd611.jpg?w=1000

USATSI_22810781.jpg?w=1000

USATSI_22810841-2.jpg?w=1000

USATSI_22810835-1.jpg?w=1000

USATSI_22810773-1.jpg?w=1000

Texas Longhorns football spring practice at the Frank Denius practice fields in Austin,Tuesday, March 19, 2024.

USATSI_22810872.jpg?w=1000

Texas Longhorns quarter backs Arch Manning during spring practice at the Frank Denius practice fields in…

USATSI_22810782.jpg?w=1000

Texas Longhorns running back Christian Clark during football spring practice at the Frank Denius practice fields…

USATSI_22810841-1.jpg?w=1000

USATSI_22810835.jpg?w=1000

USATSI_22810797.jpg?w=1000

USATSI_22810773.jpg?w=1000

Texas Longhorns football spring practice at the Frank Denius practice fields in Austin,Tuesday, March 19, 2024.

USATSI_22810833.jpg?w=1000

USATSI_22810803.jpg?w=1000

Texas Longhorns wide receiver Ryan Wingo during football spring practice at the Frank Denius practice fields…

USATSI_22810776.jpg?w=1000

USATSI_22810789.jpg?w=1000

USATSI_22810790.jpg?w=1000

Texas Longhorns Head Coach Steve Sarkisian during spring practice at the Frank Denius practice fields in…

USATSI_22810815.jpg?w=1000

USATSI_22810807.jpg?w=1000

USATSI_22810802.jpg?w=1000

USATSI_22810786.jpg?w=1000

Texas Longhorns wide receiver Ryan Wingo during football spring practice at the Frank Denius practice fields…

USATSI_22810839.jpg?w=1000

USATSI_22810823.jpg?w=1000

USATSI_22810811.jpg?w=1000

USATSI_22810806.jpg?w=1000

University of Texas spring football: Five things to watch - Houston Chronicle

Spoiler

University of Texas spring football: Five things to watch

By Christina Huang, CorrespondentMarch 19, 2024

AUSTIN — Texas held its first spring football practice Tuesday, signaling the beginning of its fourth year under Steve Sarkisian. 

The Longhorns are coming off of their best season under Sarkisian that included a College Football Playoff appearance and Big 12 title. Texas is looking to replicate its success in its inaugural year in the Southeastern Conference this fall. 

“It was pretty evident that the energy was good out there at practice,” Sarkisian said. “It was pretty evident the amount of depth we have. This is the most numbers we’ve had in a spring practice since we’ve been here.” 

Here are five things to know as Texas begins spring practice: 

Quinn Ewers’ progress

Sarkisian seemed pleased with how starting quarterback Quinn Ewers looked.

“We went from where he was a couple of years ago to slimming himself all the way down to last season." Sarkisian said. "If you look at him, he looks a little broader this year. I’m hopeful we can maybe get three to five more pounds of just strengthening him up that way.” 

He also said that Ewers, entering his third season, played confidently on the first day of spring practice. Arch Manning is the No. 2 quarterback.

Open lines of communication

Texas is experimenting with a new communication system directly to a quarterback through his helmet.

“A little different for us, for Quinn and I, this year is my ability to talk to him through the mic and we started practicing that today,” Sarkisian said. “I think having two years of experience working together and now having that dialogue through the headset is going to be beneficial for us.” 

The NCAA has yet to officially green-light the helmet communication, but teams are allowed to use the technology in practice.

While the system could make both Sarkisian’s and Ewers’ lives a bit easier, there might be a bit of a learning curve in finding out what exactly works best. 

“I think the challenge for me is how much information is quality, good information and when does it cross the threshold of too much to where it’s a little bit of paralysis by analysis because there’s too much information,” he said. “That’s a fine line of (Ewers) and I working together with some of that stuff; he and I working with the offensive line and getting that communication done.” 

Sarkisian also added that he will still be teaching hand signals, in the event that a headset goes out. 

Replacing T’Vondre Sweat and Byron Murphy II

Texas lost its top two interior defensive linemen, T’Vondre Sweat (Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year) and Byron Murphy II (Big 12 Defensive Lineman of the Year), to the upcoming NFL draft.

Sarkisian is confident that he has players that can step up.

“Alfred (Collins) is a very talented player who has matured from one year to the next, to the next,” Sarkisian said. “If he continues on the progression that he’s on, he’s poised to have a great year. I think Vernon Broughton, again, (is) one of those guys. They gave us a lot of quality reps the last two seasons and I think now more than ever, they’re poised to step into that role.” 

Arizona transfer Tiaoalii Savea is another experienced player who could provide veteran leadership. Savea played one year at UCLA before spending two seasons at Arizona. Sarkisian also tabbed younger linemen like Jaray Bledsoe and Aaron Bryant as guys that could be getting more reps this season.

New wide receivers group

Texas’ wide receiver corps is only returning eight catches from last season after the departures of Xavier Worthy, Adonai Mitchell and tight end Ja'Tavion Sanders. 

However, a slew of transfers should bolster that position and two of them are already on campus. Matthew Golden (Houston) and Isaiah Bond (Alabama) were catching passes from Ewers in the portion of practice that was open to the media Tuesday morning. Silas Bolden (Oregon State) will join the Longhorns in the summer as a grad transfer. 

Work in progress

Sarkisian emphasized that the Longhorns are still figuring things out and are not the finished product that will take the field on their Aug. 31 season opener. 

“There’s a ton of things that we need to get better at and we need to work on,” he said. “But for a first day of spring practice, I was definitely pleased.”

Texas’ Orange-White game is at 1 p.m. on April 20.

Texas’ Orange-White game is at 1 p.m. on April 20.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, ousux said:

Bobby and Gerry slinging lots of spiked kool-aid our way this year.

There's a lot to be optimistic about with the roster Sark & Co have put together. Question is, how soon can they put it all together and gel?

It's a contract year for Alfred Collins, so pretty sure he will be motivated along with another year of building his body. Same can be said for Vernon Broughton, but I'm less certain of his motivation or abilities. Hoping he pleasantly surprises. He was a little better last season. Murphy and Sweat are big shoes to fill and neither of Collins nor Broughton really gap stuffers or pocket pressers the way they were. But EDGE should take a step forward this season in both talent and depth. And there is at least a decent rotation of DTs as is plus whatever additions may yet be found in the portal. Talent is not a question at LB but play recognition is.

The embarrassment of riches at both WR and RB is ridiculous. Ewers just needs to develop rapport with the receivers.

• Hook 'Em 1

There's a lot to be optimistic about with the roster Sark & Co have put together. Question is, how soon can they put it all together and gel?
It's a contract year for Alfred Collins, so pretty sure he will be motivated along with another year of building his body. Same can be said for Vernon Broughton, but I'm less certain of his motivation or abilities. Hoping he pleasantly surprises. He was a little better last season. Murphy and Sweat are big shoes to fill and neither of Collins nor Broughton really gap stuffers or pocket pressers the way they were. But EDGE should take a step forward this season in both talent and depth. And there is at least a decent rotation of DTs as is plus whatever additions may yet be found in the portal. Talent is not a question at LB but play recognition is.
The embarrassment of riches at both WR and RB is ridiculous. Ewers just needs to develop rapport with the receivers.
I could be wrong, but to me it seems like this Longhorn team has a lot in common with MB's early 2k's squads when it comes to talent, maybe even better on paper.

I'm beyond excited to see us play the defending champs early on, and see what this team can do with an SEC schedule, but still need to see them play an actual game since we lost a lot on both sides of the ball. If these guys can hang with Georgia or even beat them...sky is the limit for this team, maybe stratosphere.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ousux said:

Bobby and Gerry slinging lots of spiked kool-aid our way this year.

They seem pretty concerned about the interior defensive line. They also appear to have thrown in the towel on Broughton, they expect the UA transfer to beat him out.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, 83Horn said:

I'm no great evaluator of talent, but it looks to me like 91 has been skipping leg day.  Compare and contrast with number 95.

91 is Ethan Burke. 95 - Alfred Collins.

Collins is a senior, Burke a junior who used to play lacrosse and came in very undeveloped. Also, his shorts are hiding his upper thighs more. I'd also add, that some guys just build bulkier than others and calf size can vary greatly with genetics. But yeah, Collins' legs clearly look bigger.

USATSI_22810797.jpg?w=1000

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CastHorn said:

They seem pretty concerned about the interior defensive line. They also appear to have thrown in the towel on Broughton, they expect the UA transfer to beat him out.

Gerry made a comment on coffee that seemed to insinuate that he knows we're getting a 0 tech in the portal, but didn't elaborate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

They may be right, but I remember similar concerns about T'vondre Sweat and to a lesser degree, Byron Murphy as well.
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, ousux said:
13 hours ago, CastHorn said:

They may be right, but I remember similar concerns about T'vondre Sweat and to a lesser degree, Byron Murphy as well.

Sweat and Murphy were a fucking huge part of our success last year.  Huge.  Swapping them out with Collins and some dude from Arizona is going to hurt a lot this year so you better hope something good is coming in the portal. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ousux said:
13 hours ago, CastHorn said:

There's not a T'Vondre Sweat on the roster. That's what it really boils down to. The duo of Sweat and Murphy isn't going to be replaced because that was generational excellence but when you throw that comparison out the window it looks less dire.

Collins has quietly been pretty good the past couple years. I imagine he will play well with starter's snaps this year. Sounds like Bledsoe is coming along. Broughton is a serviceable rotation piece - nothing more, but nothing less either. I'm not super worried about the 3-tech spot unless it's a rash of injuries.

I imagine Savea gets first crack at nose and he should be serviceable against most of the schedule. Will be a problem against Michigan and Georgia. Big spring/off season for Sydir Mitchell; if Texas is to reach its full potential this year he's going to have to give 15 good snaps a game. This position will be priority one in the summer portal window. It's the biggest flaw on the team both in terms of quality and numbers.

Aaron Bryant is out there too. I honestly can't remember if they've worked him more at nose or 3 tech but he's another 300-pound body.

Edited by gmr548

5 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I think it’s important with this staff not to view pieces so statically and pencil in someone like Broughton as “serviceable rotation player.” Two years ago Broughton was unplayable. Last year he was serviceable. What if he continues to get better like most players seem to be doing under this staff and S&C program? Burke and Sorrel fall into that category as well. Fully expect them to stay in their current trajectory and go from pretty good to damn good this year. 

This time last year Sweat was not a lock to be a first or second round player. Two years ago we questioned his conditioning and overall drive. Players are getting better under this staff and I think that’s going to be part of the solution to our interior line concerns. 

Unless Broughton develops lower mass, he won't be anything more than serviceable. Collins will be good. Bledsoe and Savea will need to step up. Mitchell and Bryant are unknowns and shouldn't be counted on.

Edge will be a strength. DBs should be better at safety.

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Unless Broughton develops lower mass, he won't be anything more than serviceable. Collins will be good. Bledsoe and Savea will need to step up. Mitchell and Bryant are unknowns and shouldn't be counted on.

Edge will be a strength. DBs should be better at safety.

When I saw Mitchell was 373 pounds, I immediately thought wait until 25 on him. That’s not someone who took his freshman year S&C seriously. 

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

When I saw Mitchell was 373 pounds, I immediately thought wait until 25 on him. That’s not someone who took his freshman year S&C seriously. 

What if he did?

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

I think it’s important with this staff not to view pieces so statically and pencil in someone like Broughton as “serviceable rotation player.” Two years ago Broughton was unplayable. Last year he was serviceable. What if he continues to get better like most players seem to be doing under this staff and S&C program? Burke and Sorrel fall into that category as well. Fully expect them to stay in their current trajectory and go from pretty good to damn good this year. 

This time last year Sweat was not a lock to be a first or second round player. Two years ago we questioned his conditioning and overall drive. Players are getting better under this staff and I think that’s going to be part of the solution to our interior line concerns. 

I don't necessarily disagree, I just don't see a lot more to be gotten out of Broughton given his physical profile. Sweat wasn't thought of as an Outland type at this time last year, but everyone knew he had the tools to be really good if he locked in and was excited about him coming back.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

What if he did?

He took it seriously and gained a bunch of weight when he should have been trimming down and getting better at conditioning?  I’m doubtful we see much of him this year unless he gets serious about his conditioning. 

7 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

He took it seriously and gained a bunch of weight when he should have been trimming down and getting better at conditioning?  I’m doubtful we see much of him this year unless he gets serious about his conditioning. 

Nah, what I was saying is that some people are just gooey.

Sweat and Murphy were a fucking huge part of our success last year.  Huge.  Swapping them out with Collins and some dude from Arizona is going to hurt a lot this year so you better hope something good is coming in the portal. 
Not saying they weren't, just saying coming into last seasons we had questions about both being up to the task. Of course that was answered very early on in a positive way, hope the same happens this coming season. I will give you that both Sweat and Murphy at least flashed at times in the '22 season. Outside of maybe Collins, not sure you can really say the same about our current crop of DT's. Lots of questions to be answered for sure.

We saw Broughton at the spurs v Nuggets game at moody a couple weeks ago. He was wearing mid thigh shorts and my wife, after I told her who he was, commented on how skinny his legs were for how big the rest of him was. It was honestly jarring. Like two toothpicks in an orange.

11 hours ago, Bevo said:

Nah, what I was saying is that some people are just gooey.

Well they are already saying he looks like shit and still gooey. The interior is Bledsoe and whoever shows up. Not great with a new coach. 

We saw Broughton at the spurs v Nuggets game at moody a couple weeks ago. He was wearing mid thigh shorts and my wife, after I told her who he was, commented on how skinny his legs were for how big the rest of him was. It was honestly jarring. Like two toothpicks in an orange.
That's strange the pics aren't loading and not of the toothpick legs.

On 3/23/2024 at 8:59 AM, Newy25 said:

I think it is going to be important for the staff to not think of the defense statically. There is no Sweat on the roster, a 2 gapping immovable monster. It does have athletic DTs. Savea was solid in Nansen’s defense at Arizona that focused on moving the DL. Barring massive improvement or portal signing, that philosophy is going to fit this DL better. You are not going to see the best of Broughton or Collins, if you are asking them to 2 gap 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I think we need a separate thread to talk about young men’s legs and calves 

someone start it 

Man, the game has changed.  Used to be you could take the measure of a man by the size of his forearms.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

"Texas was without EDGE Colton Vasek for a bit during practice. Vasek was suited out though spent time with the training staff when the team moved into the live team periods. I won't speculate on what the reason was, but he was absent for a period or two."

Will Vasek ever be healthy?

26 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

"Texas was without EDGE Colton Vasek for a bit during practice. Vasek was suited out though spent time with the training staff when the team moved into the live team periods. I won't speculate on what the reason was, but he was absent for a period or two."

He’s made of glass and on a bullet train to Bustville, which is truly shocking to Westlake honks everywhere. 

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Vasek, to me, is shooting blanks

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Team Practice Notes (Saturday 3:09 p.m.)

Spoiler

Texas wrapped up its third practice of the spring this morning in front of 100+ high school coaches from around the state who were in town for the Texas Coaches Clinic. Of course, Los Angeles Rams HC Sean McVay will be the keynote speaker this year.

Some notes from practice this morning.

Starting with a pair of early enrollee freshmen – Daniel Cruz and Alex January. The two provided some really intense battles with one another in the 1-on-1 portion of practice in the trenches. Both are advanced for their age and experience, which leads to some really exciting back and forths. Both have had their moments with January avenging a rep with a smooth swim move.

January's athleticism is quite noticeable after losing 10+ pounds since the conclusion of HS ball.

Sticking with a newcomer in the trenches, Brandon Baker has been tremendous in pass protection. That was a strength of his during his high school evaluation and that has transferred almost instantly to the field in college.

Transfer safety Andrew Mukuba is going to have some work in the box this year. With Derek Williams expected to be the field safety this fall, there is going to be some responsibility for Mukuba near the line of scrimmage, which he has plenty of experience doing. Don't mistake this for the nickel spot, though that is not out of the realm of possibility eventually.

Safety Jelani McDonald has made tremendous noise on special teams. McDonald as a gunner on punt dusted a double team and drew praise from teammates and coaches in the process.

Michael Taaffe made a really impressive play on an out route thrown by Quinn Ewers today.

Texas was without EDGE Colton Vasek for a bit during practice. Vasek was suited out though spent time with the training staff when the team moved into the live team periods. I won't speculate on what the reason was, but he was absent for a period or two.

To the quarterbacks:

The deep ball has been a hit this spring thus far. Not too often is ball hitting the turf on throws 30+ yards down the field – probably could not say the same thing a year ago.

Trey Owens is doing well through three practices. He is at his best when he has a clear idea presnap with where he wants to go with the rock. That is to be expected as he gets acclimated to the system and adjusted to the speed of the college game. What he has done well with thus far is finding his checkdown. Though as we saw with Quinn early on, the development for Owens will come from a second to third read before hitting a RB out of the backfield.

• Hook 'Em 2

Vasek, to me, is shooting blanks
Even if he never plays a snap, the glorious gooner tears was worth a wasted scholly.

To be honest I think he will eventually be a decent pass rusher off the bench in case a starter gets injured or needs a breather, but I suspect he's been recruited over...Collin Simmons for one.

• immamac changed the title to 2024 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Who’s a JAG now?