2024 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Who’s a JAG now?

sith_horn

1 hour ago, NoName said:

my guy, you can't say someone was out there outrunning little guys (DBs) then he gets caught from behind by said little guys, one of whom he had a 5-6 yard lead on and the other who crossed from outside the numbers on the other side of the field to tackle him.

The dude had an angle & Foreman wasn't running in a straight line and the tackle happened 80 yards down field and was the very definition of a diving shoestring tackle. Also, Foreman outran other DBs in the course of that run. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Tapp is a guy that has offers on the table and playing time promises from other teams. 

Swanson just isn’t big enough to do what Texas wants to do yet. 

Walton knows they like him and will get a lot more run next year if he shows patience. I think we lose either Walton or Akina eventually but it’s still early. Akina was the higher ranked recruit so he may have more opportunities in the portal but coaches think Walton will be a player. 

• Hook 'Em 7

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

We've reached the point in this thread where it could be time for you to stop intervening with tedious shit from 9 years ago and analyzing single runs from TBs down to the gnat's ass as a quasi-scientific means of determining whether said TB can be viewed as having value in the future state. Pop open a coke and have a smile and then find something new to dissect and salve your Asperger's mind.

Bill Murray Thank You GIF by filmeditor

6 hours ago, FreeHorn said:

Tapp is a guy that has offers on the table and playing time promises from other teams. 

Swanson just isn’t big enough to do what Texas wants to do yet. 

Walton knows they like him and will get a lot more run next year if he shows patience. I think we lose either Walton or Akina eventually but it’s still early. Akina was the higher ranked recruit so he may have more opportunities in the portal but coaches think Walton will be a player. 

Walton is the player I’d want to keep out of that group.

We’re trying to win championships not Gaskamp Awards. 

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Walton is the player I’d want to keep out of that group.

We’re trying to win championships not Gaskamp Awards. 

I'd like to keep all of them. Swanson is a player if he can get to and sustain 290+. He'll probably go to ASU and put up solid starter numbers. Tapp is being recruited right now by major P4 programs for a reason. Walton is the least interesting of the three to outside parties, so if Texas loses the other two, he damned sure needs to be productive eventually.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/11/2024 at 7:41 AM, NoName said:

once again you are blinded by a single run from a single game

Foreman went 9 for 117 in the 2015 OU game.

81 of that came on one play. he was not touched until he was 10 yards down the field, a guy got 1 arm on him there. then another guy dove at his ankles and he shrugged that off and then he wasn't touched again until he was tackled. this was a bad OU defense. Heard attempted 11 passes, Texas completed 9 passes for 55 yards and rushed it 58 times. Texas won 24-17.

Foreman didn't outrun anyone lol. he had an 81 yard run and was tackled from behind at the 10 yard line with 3 dudes around him that all would have tackled him

image.png.54fba2badefec4a69b5b625e71675bc0.png

here's the 3 guys associated with that tackle (10, 13, 15)

image.png.cb774f582e87c7f08f256d40ce3ad82b.png

that touch happened with 10 seconds in the 3rd Q. that was his last touch of the game as Texas salted away the win with Heard (21 carries) and Gray (22 carries)

the rest of the game he had 8 carries for 36 yards, or 4 yards per carry.

dude was an incredible player at Texas. not denying that at all, but that single run is stuck in your mind as some kind of wild play where he ran away from a bunch of little dudes is absolutely incorrect.

"They fast too"

On 4/11/2024 at 11:47 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

Well damn, I guess the "bench Majors" crowd has been right all along.

Would be nice to see Bryant emerge as a plus this year though. He often seems to get lost in the DL discussion despite being a third year early enrollee. 

Hoping the light is coming on for Bledsoe. Hamilton as well as others have always been very high on his athletic ability. It was just between the ears with him. 

also out of Tapp, Walton and Akina, give me Tapp. He has that dawg in him and I love his size.  (Opinion might change If I ever seen the other two)  

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Heard the O-Line bullied the D-Line today.  

idk how to feel about that. I know the O-Line will be a strength but damn man is Our O-Line really that dominant or our D-Line just not that good 

also DB’s are playing tighter coverage on the WRs thank God!!!

Edited by D3zii

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, D3zii said:

idk how to feel about that. I know the O-Line will be a strength but damn man is Our O-Line really that dominant or our D-Line just not that good 

If the first team OL is going against the second team DL, what do you think should happen?

Edit: In fairness, we may have a source-off on how much 1 v 1 was going on. 

Edited by Red Five

37 minutes ago, D3zii said:

The OL is a pretty known commodity. It is very good. The first team D-line going up against the first team O-line will give us a good indication of where the D-line stands.

If it was good on good it might potentially be an issue, but that's something we'll only know in an actual game. Our O-line should be dominant, and it's no secret D-line is lacking live fire experience in the middle.

On 4/12/2024 at 11:40 AM, closetohumping said:

image.thumb.png.837275aa68b1cd623d176e6ee1a432a6.png

image.thumb.png.737048c19583a47593bd8c55b1f0b89e.png

Interesting that he mentions Juan Davis specifically. I know we’ve had some back and forth here about whether he might be a transfer candidate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, D3zii said:

We’re immediately linked to any portal DT with a pulse. I think that probably tells us all we need to know. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 9:29 AM, closetojumping said:

I'd like to keep all of them. Swanson is a player if he can get to and sustain 290+. He'll probably go to ASU and put up solid starter numbers. Tapp is being recruited right now by major P4 programs for a reason. Walton is the least interesting of the three to outside parties, so if Texas loses the other two, he damned sure needs to be productive eventually.

How good of a player is Bill Norton? He seems like a good rotational player but not a star or an anchor in the middle.

On 4/9/2024 at 12:10 PM, NoName said:

so just to be clear, you have a situation where a guy quits his HS team, then his his freshman year gets 15 total carries and averages 2.2 yards, then says he's going to enter the portal, then decides not to when Texas tells him goodby, then gets so outclassed by a true freshman RB that he is a very distant third on the depth chart (for comparison Keilan Robinson had 3 rushes vs Bama and X and Mitchell both had the same # of carries as Blue in that game), then ends up only getting snaps for the year because the starter tears his ACL and it moves him to 2nd on the depth chart.

...does Blue have really nice wiggle? absolutely. but his stats are bumped up a ton by the fact he had 26% of his yardage for the year on 2 carries (3% of his total carries) - that is not sustainable nor is it a real perception of his skill.

if you drop the one 69 yard carry it drops his YPC an entire yard per carry (6.12 to 5.14)

this isn't that complex. the imbalance in usage between the two is because of skill and skillset differences between the two. even now, how many articles have been written about how Blue is expected to be the starter for 24 (i haven't seen any) - maybe he takes a huge jump forward, and i hope he does. but the reason for the imbalance is clear if you pay any attention

again, Texas saw fit to start a true Freshman against Alabama, give him the most touches on the team in that game 15 touches (same as Brooks) and give you guy 1 and you are confused as to why the imbalance exists? clearly they and everyone else under the sun think one guy is significantly better than the other.

Say what you want, but despite starting Baxter over Brooks it was clear as day that Brooks was the more impactful RB. And once again this offseason Baxter is getting outshined by the RB who will surely back him up to start the season.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Say what you want, but despite starting Baxter over Brooks it was clear as day that Brooks was the more impactful RB. And once again this offseason Baxter is getting outshined by the RB who will surely back him up to start the season.  

So you saying T Choice doesn’t know wat he’s doing??

4 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Did it really matter then and does it matter now?  No, I submit to you.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Did it really matter then and does it matter now?  No, I submit to you.

I'm just responding to the comments telling me I'm a dumbass for thinking Blue is better than Baxter.  They probably had similar views on Baxter vis-a-vis Brooks last year. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

How many carries did Baxter have healthy last year? One? Dude hurt his ankle on almost his first carry.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I see that as careful handling of a guy with tremendous upside. He may never achieve that level but you want to give him every chance within reason to get there 

That's definitely what it is, as well as managing relationships in a new recruiting terroritory we don't have much history in. Nonetheless the point remains that Brooks was the better player from the jump.  And I believe Blue is as well, but I'm admittedly making this judgement off of what I saw from an injured Baxter last season. So we'll see. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Ya'll are fretting about stuff that won't matter about 4 games into the season. How many times have we wondered pre-season who would be the starting tailback only to either lament our lack of depth or sigh with relief we have a deep RB room? It's a position that virtually guarantees heavy contact with most touches...we'll need several backs to get through the season. Who trots out for the first play of the first game is irrelevant.

• Hook 'Em 3