Baltimore Bridge Disaster

tx 3 putt

16 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I’d rename the hood “Down to Clown in Poundtown”. But now you got your fucking unions and HOA rules.  Come to think of it; I don’t know that I ever seen the dude’s wife.  

IMG_2501.thumb.jpeg.f50bc7f428c6faa53865b05226807814.jpeg

“That is a buy-one, get-one free Subway coupon. It is absolutely valid. I’m simply asking that your kids quit biking down my driveway!”

• Like 1

It hits different when you read that the boat weighed 15-25x more than the bridge span itself. Jeezus.

SIAP but single best writeup I’ve seen on this:

“Why Baltimore bridge collapsed — and it was nothing to do with how it was built”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/68f040a1-189b-4696-baf3-4664748e1c07?shareToken=6ef1a03386d698e1f3df2e50f842b69a

• Hook 'Em 3

Was going fishing with my old man down in Freeport when the car decided to die 3/4 of the way up the bridge over the intercostal. It was a 2 lane bridge at the time and I recall sitting in the passenger seat staring over the edge for at least an hour while we waited for a tow.  Hate big bridges to this day…

On topic- I’ve got a buddy up in Baltimore right now as he’s been contracted to work on the bridge removal. Only comment from him yesterday was “it’s a shit show…”

3 hours ago, RPM said:

and another

Its "Oklahoma safe."

We wouldn’t really even hear about this except for its timing to the Baltimore bridge. It’s the new train derailments/plane issues for the media and conspiracy theorists 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We wouldn’t really even hear about this except for its timing to the Baltimore bridge. It’s the new train derailments/plane issues for the media and conspiracy theorists 

I'm sure this happens 2 - 3 times a week across the country. I remember being at the 1 & 9 truckstop in Jersey City back in the early 80's when a ship hit the Witt Penn bridge. We were stuck there for 12 hours while they inspected the drawbridge.

53 minutes ago, RPM said:

I'm sure this happens 2 - 3 times a week across the country. I remember being at the 1 & 9 truckstop in Jersey City back in the early 80's when a ship hit the Witt Penn bridge. We were stuck there for 12 hours while they inspected the drawbridge.

They are rare unless you include recreational boats.

https://www.tuscaloosa.com/__aws/media/6553702_bridge-strikes-.pdf

In the period from 1960 to 2015, there have been 18 bridge catastrophes in the U.S. that occurred due to ship and barge collisions with bridges over navigable waterways.

United States Coast Guard (USCG) study of towing vessels and barge collisions with bridges located on the U.S. inland waterway system during the 10-year period from 1992 to 2001 revealed that there were 2,692 accidents with bridgesv. Only 61 of these accidents caused bridge damage in excess of US$500,000 (1,702 caused very minor damage with no repair costs to the bridge), and none resulted in fatalities.

Did I miss this earlier in the thread? It’s all I can think about every time the bridge is mentioned, and it’s what Baltimore will saying for the next 10-15 years. 

IMG_5089.gif.dd37869969d0a5da8300acb78ebabb5e.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, RPM said:

Crew being confined to the ship isn't unusual. 

For 2 months on a fucked up ship with no communication out? 

Where is the findings from the investigation? I guess since they didn’t even start an investigation for a month it’s only been a month of investigation but damn. Not a peep

12 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Where is the findings from the investigation? I guess since they didn’t even start an investigation for a month it’s only been a month of investigation but damn. Not a peep

You understand they live on the ship, right? They get resupplied if needed. I've been out to sea above the Arctic Circle longer than 2 months. Sitting in Baltimore would have been fuckin great by comparison.

The investigation began the next day. Not sure when what department joined/launched their own. NTSB moves slow, but they usually get it right. 

32 minutes ago, Zeus said:

NTSB air accident investigations routinely take 1.5-2 years or more for final reports and preliminary reports are often slow to release as well. I don't know anything about maritime investigations but I assume it's probably going to be a similar timeframe here. 

12 minutes ago, RPM said:

You understand they live on the ship, right? They get resupplied if needed. I've been out to sea above the Arctic Circle longer than 2 months. Sitting in Baltimore would have been fuckin great by comparison.

The investigation began the next day. Not sure when what department joined/launched their own. NTSB moves slow, but they usually get it right. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fbi-opens-criminal-probe-francis-scott-key-bridge-collapse-baltimore-rcna147813

47 minutes ago, Paco said:

Zeus is a pimphand weirdo florida fan. Don't engage.

Texas grad but yeah, been a Florida Gator fan since I was a kid. 

It’s not outrage it’s maybe just wondering why the fuck this huge billion dollar infrastructure disruption isn’t in the news or being followed up on at all. I’m an engineer so things like bridges collapsing get my attention more than others I guess. Also I don’t think it was an accident I think it was a cyber attack but of course nobody is saying anything one way or the other….. will they ever?

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

No shit!!!  You mean they're going to examine it from all angles?  Jesus Tapdancing Christ my man.  

Yeah it took 3 weeks for the FBI to get there and start to do a criminal investigation. What the fuck were they waiting on is my question. 

Probably a multibillion dollar infrastructure and shipping hit. No federal investigators for 3 weeks?

3 minutes ago, Zeus said:

It’s not outrage it’s maybe just wondering why the fuck this huge billion dollar infrastructure disruption isn’t in the news or being followed up on at all. I’m an engineer so things like bridges collapsing get my attention more than others I guess. Also I don’t think it was an accident I think it was a cyber attack but of course nobody is saying anything one way or the other….. will they ever?

Well, I'm pretty sure its in the news... quick Google search below.  Also, maybe it was a cyber attack, maybe it wasn't.  Let the smart people sort it out.  The investigators don't have to tell us everything.

image.png.b5640c27ba9121ab8380eaa50c3ba8bc.png

3 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Yeah it took 3 weeks for the FBI to get there and start to do a criminal investigation.

Maybe that's your clue that it may not have been a cyber attack if they didn't rush out immediately?  I don't know.

• Like 1

The vessel has a crew of like 20.  There would have to be some kind of crew on it no matter where it was docked.  I'm not sure Maersk is super-interested in paying for another crew.

Also, the automation is what enables a crew of 20 to handle a vessel twice the displacement of the USS Missouri.  When that automation fails, hell can break loose if there are navigation hazards.

11 minutes ago, Zeus said:

It was a fentanyl attack

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

"WHY ISN'T THIS THING THAT ISN'T NEW ANY MORE A LEADING NEWS STORY!?!?!??!?!?!"

Goddamn some people are stupid.

giphy.gif

"Bubble headed bleach blonde, comes on at 5.

She can tell you bout the bridge crash, with a gleam in her eye.

Where the fuck's the FBI, we need dirty laundry."  

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

It was funny listening to Knowledge Fight a few days after this happened. Alex Jones had a couple of his fans call in, guys who are obviously pretty conspiracy-addled about most shit, but had experience working on ships and were like "no man this isn't some secret shit, we're actually extremely lucky this doesn't happen more often because shit like this happens on these ships all the time and most of the time they're just out at sea with nothing to hit."

I guess what I'm saying is that Zeus is uniquely stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It was funny listening to Knowledge Fight a few days after this happened. Alex Jones had a couple of his fans call in, guys who are obviously pretty conspiracy-addled about most shit, but had experience working on ships and were like "no man this isn't some secret shit, we're actually extremely lucky this doesn't happen more often because shit like this happens on these ships all the time and most of the time they're just out at sea with nothing to hit."

I guess what I'm saying is that Zeus is uniquely stupid. 

The stupids are allergic to Occam's Razor.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

The stupids are allergic to Occam's Razor.

Imagine how difficult it would be to actually plan this. You'd have to be able to hack the ship and kill its power at exactly the right time. Meaning you'd have to have calculated when to kill the power given the weight of the ship, its then-current speed, the force of the current, winds, the effect deploying the anchor would've had, etc. There's a fuckload of factors that are highly variable that would've had to go into that calculation.  The much much much much much much much much likelier explanation is that because of basic industry incentives they were going too long without properly repairing or replacing critical systems and the ship's power went out as a result and it really in fact just so happened to occur this time at the worst possible time. 

On another note, imagine Zeus's reaction if we just let 20 unvetted foreign nationals (who in his mind are probably connected to international terrorism) into the country to hang out for two years while this all got investigated.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, texasdago said:

Well, I'm pretty sure its in the news... quick Google search below.  Also, maybe it was a cyber attack, maybe it wasn't.  Let the smart people sort it out.  The investigators don't have to tell us everything.

image.png.b5640c27ba9121ab8380eaa50c3ba8bc.png

Maybe that's your clue that it may not have been a cyber attack if they didn't rush out immediately?  I don't know.

It’s not a cyber attack because they waited three weeks to investigate if it was a cyber attack?

4 people were killed on the bridge. Somebody either fucked up big time and is criminally negligent or there is a criminal actor overseas that did this. 

https://www.seatrade-maritime.com/casualty/what-dalis-black-box-recorder-tells-us-about-baltimore-bridge-allision

Black Box stopped recording for a minute  

How is that even possible? Shouldn’t that be on separate dedicated backup power?

01.24:59 - Numerous audible alarms recorded on bridge audio. VDR sensor data ceased recording, VDR audio recording continued on backup power source.

24 minutes ago, Updawg said:

The ship had known electric issues while in port
Dock workers were surprised it left in its condition

Occam's.

Razor.

I will never understand why people insist on preferring the belief that a sinister conspiracy, requiring complex action and perfect timing, is what happened, instead of....slipshod maintenance and operations and cheap-ass ownership and management.  I mean, we see the second circumstance all the time, every day.  The laws of mathematics tell us that every once in a while, those circumstances will combine to bite us in the ass.

I don't rule out anything -- that's why investigations are done.  Sometimes they find bizarre things in play.  But the odds are overwhelmingly high that this was a stack of fuckups that led to a serial fuckup at the exact worst time.  See Challenger disaster, see Titanic, see any number of other industrial accidents.  If the brakes fail on a semi as it is backing up in a Love's travel stop, it doesn't make the news.  And that happens.  If the brakes on that same truck fail when it's at a highway speed and it plows through a school bus killing a dozen kids . . . we all hear about it.  And in case 2, people like Zeus are asking "who disabled the brakes?  DO THE RESEARCH!"  When in reality, both failures were due to shitty maintenance and someone cheaping out on the proper care for the brakes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1