2024 NCAA Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight Games

LTtxfan

I went to the Bama/UNC game in 1982. One the worst officiated games ever seen, said our coach, Winfrey “Wimp” Sanderson a defensive guru. UNC started James Worthy, Sam Perkins, Jimmy Black, Matt Doherty and a skinny freshman named Michael Jordan. Dince UNC was involved the site was in Raleigh, geez almost 40 milrs from Chapel Hill. Since that night I’ve carried a bruise in my soul because it was the best team we’ve had in my lifetime. We had Bobby Lee Hurt, Eddie Phillips, Ennis Whatley, Mike Davis and a streaky shooting guard named Eric Richardson. Richardson had a habit of shuffling his feet when he went into his jump shot, which sas deadly. He must have nailed six shots that night and the refs waved off every fucking one - traveling. The place was packed. NC State’s old coliseum with z nasty old synthetic floor, was 80% Carolina blue, all dressed up like Mr and Mrs Thurston B Howell IV. Bama was hot, coming off wins at Rupp Arena over UK and over Chris Mullen and St John’s at Nassau Coliseum. We just couldn’t get up or stay up that awful night. With 7:30 left we were hanging in down by only 2. I told the blue wearing dude next to me, “We’re actually gonna win this.” He looked at me like a wayward child and said, “Watch the clock. When it hits 7:00, look at Dean Smith.” 

When ghe clock hit 7:00, Smith slowly stood up, walked to the edge of the court and raised four fingers to his players. There was no shot clock in those days, nor were dunks allowed. It was a different game. Carolina spread thr court and we spent the rest of the game fouling and wstching them shoot free throws. Lost by 5. Motherfuckers. Fucking 4 corners offense.  Last night was a long time coming. I hope they suffer 10X as much as we did on 9/9/23. 
Still, not bad. We made footall playoff and roundball final eight in the same year. 

Anything can happen! 🏀🐘👍🙏

• Like 1

Straight up ass kicking. Wouldn't expect anything less from a Shaka coached team in the post season. He had the most favorable match ups of any seeded team to reach the Elite 8 and it looks as if he's gonna fall short. All he had to do was defeat a 15 seed, 10 seed and 11 seed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

right now this is a prime example of where shaka’s outright refusal to have his team even try for offensive rebounds hurts his teams. it’s hard to comeback from 14 down when you play five-out and refuse to crash.

2/17 from 3 tonight

32 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

right now this is a prime example of where shaka’s outright refusal to have his team even try for offensive rebounds hurts his teams. it’s hard to comeback from 14 down when you play five-out and refuse to crash.

And when you shoot 3/24 from three. We talked about two weeks ago how this would cost them. Just keep chunking and not adjusting on offense. 

• Pancho unpinned this topic