Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Are we sure that's on him?

Yes it is. Click added good relievers to our bullpen every season. Dana Brown has done nothing. Trying to pass off recycled garbage as something good. Our pitching coaching has gone in the toilet too 

1 minute ago, Macklemore said:

Yes it is. Click added good relievers to our bullpen every season. Dana Brown has done nothing. Trying to pass off recycled garbage as something good. Our pitching coaching has gone in the toilet too 

And who let Click go?

3 hours ago, WBT said:

They want blackouts to lead to the reasonable tier of package coverage.  Doesn't usually work, but that's their thinking.

Yeah/ but it’s so stupid. Iowa and Vegas, for example, have 5 or 6 teams blacked out. It’s dumb thinking. Make it like 250 miles or less (max) and  only the closest team and call it a day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yainer walked. 
Javier was really good. 
I suspect if Abreu was not suspended this game plays out differently. 
on to tomorrow. Hunter brown gonna be good. 
Abreu needs to hit 7th (and maybe needs to fuck right off in favor of Loperfido). 

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Abreu needs to hit 7th (and maybe needs to fuck right off in favor of Loperfido). 

0-7 start. That swing isn’t even close. He has zero leeway here. Start hitting the fucking ball you worthless fuck 

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Jose Abreu first HR on 2023: May 28 in Oakland, batting below #5 (at #6) 3 times before that.

2024: Houston at Oakland May 24-26.

I don’t think I’ll be able to handle him waiting that long …batting that high…again

Fortunately I don’t think Espada can either.

Edited by UTexasFight

If they didn’t sign Montero to that contract, maybe Neris could have been resigned?

You need more than 3 relievers for the regular season. If the team only has 3 quality relievers, Javier has to start the 7th inning. He still was under 100 pitches and facing the bottom of the lineup. He was a better option than Diplomatic Immunity.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

If they didn’t sign Montero to that contract, maybe Neris could have been resigned?

You need more than 3 relievers for the regular season. If the team only has 3 quality relievers, Javier has to start the 7th inning. He still was under 100 pitches and facing the bottom of the lineup. He was a better option than Diplomatic Immunity.

No one is throwing close to 100 pitches their first time out, for damn sure not on this staff where we’re down 3-4 starters.

if Abreu isn’t suspended we’re arguably 2-0.

as said above, someone will step up into that 5th/6th inning role. Just hope it’s sooner than later (and have to hope everyone else stays healthy….or at least get there by October)

• Hook 'Em 3

I still think the Abreu signing was the right call at the time given the understood alternatives.  

That said, it seems like we’ve lost our appetite for doing anything slightly unconventional, like trading a Miles Straw type for a lotto ticket(s) in the minors.  Brown’s first real offseason reminded me of Hunsicker’s when fucking McLane would tell him to add players but not spend anything to do it (and we end up with Scuffy Moehler).  The fact that a World Series aspirant is wasting a roster spot on Jon Singleton is befuddling.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Dana Brown has been GM for a little over a year.  He’s presided over one draft (early returns are very good), one trade deadline (where the only significant move was dictated by the owner) and one offseason (where the only significant move was dictated by the owner).

Could he have done a better job with the meager resources he had to address the middle relief?  Maybe, but it’s been 2 games.  I feel pretty good one of the fringey arms (Scott looked fine that first game) he added will emerge.  And if Abreu isn’t suspended Houston wins at least one of those games, possibly both.

Im stoked about Meyers and Javier.  I’m worried about Framber and Jose Abreu.  But it’s early.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

Let’s get this shit back on track. My first game at MMP this season - our guys really need to start playing well at home. It’s getting ridiculous. 

Getting? It was ridiculous in the alcs losing 4 straight. What’s way beyond ridiculous? Ridonkulous? Ridickulous? 

• Hook 'Em 1