UT Pro-Palestine Protest Thread

Captainant

7 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I know my first comment in this thread was trying to be funny but I appreciate what others have been posting about this especially with regard to what really happened. 

The powers that be gave The University and the State a black eye.  I know there are folks that are applauding the crackdown here but as a centrist Boomer, it's at best, utterly embarrassing.  

I am assuming that all 57 arrested can take civil action against the State and University.  The powers that be that punched first better buckle get ready to get hit back.  I see the 'Vote of no-confidence' document getting circulated.  Even if nothing comes of that, I don't see how Hartzell survives long term.  

***The powers that be that punched first better buckle up and get ready to get hit back...

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm not saying it's funny, I'm saying the way surly in particular can and has framed stuff that is serious in the past is with a lot of irreverence with an underlying tone of seriousness and gravity that isn't lost on the posters. 

I've been using the internet since 1989 when my folks got compuserve. I've been on the internet way, way longer than you. I've been on all sorts of boards, I quite literally grew up alongside chan culture and all that shit, when stuff like something awful was the nexus of the internet and fark was actually a thing. The default mode of the internet for 30 fucking years has been aggressive irreverence, "being serious sucks," whyucare bullshit. Perhaps, get this, we're fucking tired of that shit that you seem to still find so funny? Perhaps, just perhaps, it's not outrage culture that has lead us to where we are, but rather this worship on "funny above all else"? Because, honestly, what you find funny isn't. The vast amount of humor on this site is cringe-ass 40 year old tough guy bullshit.

Just now, Captainant said:

Heard, and I'll try to calm down a bit, but it's hard when a good chunk of this thread is people trying to distract from what happened at Texas by introducing what happened on the east or west coast, or just straight up applauding the action by abbott and hartzell. 

Yeah but those were fun shenanigans. These shenanigans are cruel and tragic. 

I think that's part of the issue, and maybe what @Thetexashammer and @Rex Kramer are somewhat alluding to, but the words escape them. A lot of this could be disagreement, but at least it was fun to read or participate in. It's turned into a slog of strong opinions and lines in the sand, which for threads like this one are really anti-surly idealistically. The CR topic for this is actually where that stuff should happen and traditionally has happened, because it's about positing what should happen to fix/rectify with public policy etc. 

14 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Tents?! They were setting up TENTS!!??!11!??!!11

How about the cops walk over, and inform the tent people that tents are not allowed, and that they need to be taken down. I bet if they asked nicely, 90% of those tents would be taken down. 

And the 10% that refuse, write them a ticket and confiscate the tents. Do we really need to arrest people for setting up tents?

What if they were sex tents? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

I've been using the internet since 1989 when my folks got compuserve. I've been on the internet way, way longer than you. I've been on all sorts of boards, I quite literally grew up alongside chan culture and all that shit, when stuff like something awful was the nexus of the internet and fark was actually a thing. The default mode of the internet for 30 fucking years has been aggressive irreverence, "being serious sucks," whyucare bullshit. Perhaps, get this, we're fucking tired of that shit that you seem to still find so funny? Perhaps, just perhaps, it's not outrage culture that has lead us to where we are, but rather this worship on "funny above all else"? Because, honestly, what you find funny isn't. The vast amount of humor on this site is cringe-ass 40 year old tough guy bullshit.

That's not what this site was or is. I explicitly said it's irreverence with the serious undertones which is specifically different from whatever collegehumor/4chan bullshit label you are trying to stick on surly. The vast majority of humor on this site isn't cringe-ass 4 year old tough guy bullshit, but there is plenty of that because it's a bunch of 35-55 year olds on the internet. 

5 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

The vast amount of posters are cringe-ass 50 year old guys so we’re actually doing pretty well. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Captainant said:

And the escalation of fuckery and punishment of students for speaking the wrong speech continues

https://www.kut.org/education/2024-04-26/ut-austin-says-arrested-protesters-including-students-will-not-be-allowed-on-campus

Protesters arrested for trespassing at UT Austin this week will not be allowed back on campus despite charges against them being dropped, a university spokesperson confirmed Friday.

The spokesperson did not respond to questions about how this could impact students who have final exams and plan to graduate in a couple weeks. A spokesperson told KUT the Office of the Dean of Students determines penalties for students, including how long a ban is in place.

Fifty-seven people were arrested Wednesday during pro-Palestinian protests on the university campus. UT Austin said roughly half of those arrested were students.

That includes Jumana Fakhreddine, a senior and pre-med student. The 22-year-old said she was arrested Wednesday afternoon, about 10 minutes after joining the protests. Fakhreddine said four to five officers lifted her off her feet and put her in zip-tie handcuffs.

The charges against her were dropped and she was released from jail just after midnight Thursday. She said since her release, no one from UT Austin has contacted her. She found she was not welcome on campus through a flyer circulated by the university.

“We thought that because the charges got dropped, we would be able to go to campus because we felt like that proved we didn’t do anything wrong,” she said. “But I guess that’s not true.”

UT Austin warned students before the protest that they could be disciplined for participating.

Fakhreddine said she's not sure if she'll be able to take her organic chemistry final on campus next week. She doesn’t need the class to graduate, she said, but does need it to apply to medical school.

“Initially I was angry about the whole thing, but I’m sad about how an educational institution is treating its students,” Fakhreddine said. “It just feels like such a betrayal.”

Complete and total bullshit. The University continues to embarrass me and every alumni of the school. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Forgive the newbie question, but I really don't want to wade through 17 pages.  What are the Cliff's Notes as to why people here are upset? 

Sides. One side is right and one side is wrong. No middle ground. Ever

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The vast amount of posters are cringe-ass 50 year old guys so we’re actually doing pretty well. 

5 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

Over 50😁

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9528yqw1ly20m53754fna

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

That was literally met with 100 riot cops and horse cops and a fleet of cop vehicles. They were pushed off of the South Mall and then arrested for trespassing. Have you watched literally any of the footage?

Why watch the UT footage when they can watch whatever footage Fox News shows them and they can just apply it to every single protest?

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

That’s at UT?

I was responding to a specific example cited by Brisket. I hadn't heard of or seen that sign until he had mentioned it and I looked into it. This was probably not Austin.

6 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Forgive the newbie question, but I really don't want to wade through 17 pages.  What are the Cliff's Notes as to why people here are upset? 

Let me give it a shot:

• Pro Palestine group wants to demonstrate on campus
  • Hartzell says no
  • Pro Palestine group does it anyway
  • Hartzell asked Hot Wheels days in advance for help clearing group
  • Hot Wheels sends in DPS riot crews who forcefully clear the area, pushing peaceful demonstrators into roads and arresting them for blocking roadways
  • A Fox cameraman accidentally bumps a DPS jackbook and is knocked to the ground and arrested
  • Hartzell releases statement late in the evening, it shows he was complicit in the clearing of demonstrators
  • There is ZERO evidence of anti-Semitism or violence from the demonstrators before being cleared by force
  • Report comes out that all arrested demonstrators have been released from jail and no charges are being pressed
  • Students who have been arrested are not being allowed back on campus at this time -- just in time for finals
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Let me give it a shot:

• Hartzell says no
  • Hartzell asked Hot Wheels days in advance for help clearing group
  • Hot Wheels sends in DPS riot crews who forcefully clear the area, pushing peaceful demonstrators into roads and arresting them for blocking roadways
  • A Fox cameraman accidentally bumps a DPS jackbook and is knocked to the ground and arrested
  • Hartzell releases statement late in the evening, it shows he was complicit in the clearing of demonstrators
  • There is ZERO evidence of anti-Semitism or violence from the demonstrators before being cleared by force
  • Report comes out that all arrested demonstrators have been released from jail and no charges are being pressed
  • Students who have been arrested are not being allowed back on campus at this time -- just in time for finals

Thanks.

Probably an overreaction, but it doesn't sound that bad.  I mean it's not like it was Kent State Pt. 2 or anything.

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Let me give it a shot:

• UT Admin says no
  • No one is doing anything illegal or disruptive.
  • Hartzell is on record days in advance collaborating with the governor/etc for help clearing group
  • Hot Wheels sends in DPS riot crews who forcefully clear the area,
  • They arrive and no one is doing anything for them to care about, it's actually quite a lame protest.
  • Riot Crew for some reason after 2 hours of completely peaceful, lame protesting begin pushing peaceful demonstrators into roads and arresting them for blocking roadways

you got some key pieces wrong. Fixed them in bold. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, immamac said:

That's not what this site was or is. I explicitly said it's irreverence with the serious undertones which is specifically different from whatever collegehumor/4chan bullshit label you are trying to stick on surly. The vast majority of humor on this site isn't cringe-ass 4 year old tough guy bullshit, but there is plenty of that because it's a bunch of 35-55 year olds on the internet. 

Tell me you were never on rsfc without telling me you were never on rsfc.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Thanks.

Probably an overreaction, but it doesn't sound that bad.  I mean it's not like it was Kent State Pt. 2 or anything.

Correct. 100% overreaction because the powers-that-be in this state don't like the message themselves. Nor do they really care but they're pandering to their supposed support base, which is support Israel at all cost. There is no nuance for these people -- that it's possible to support the Palestinian people who are being oppressed who didn't take part in 10/7 and also support the Israelis who suffered a brutal terroristic attack. It's also possible to think Netanyahu is huge piece of shit whose dick is hard to wipe not just Hamas off the map but all of the Palestinians.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Thanks.

Yes because it's only really bad if students get shot and killed for protesting peacefully.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Thanks.

It's moreso what Hartzell has been doing, completely selling out his student body to the culture war and now threatening academic punishment against legal peaceful protesters. That sets a precedent of punishing and ejecting students extrajudicially, and gives a strong weapon to a leader with ill intent in their heart

Edit: not saying hartzell is that person, but whoever comes after him is gonna have abbott's hand up his ass

Edited by Captainant

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Yes because it's only really bad if students get shot and killed for protesting peacefully.

34 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Correct. 100% overreaction because the powers-that-be in this state don't like the message themselves. Nor do they really care but they're pandering to their supposed support base, which is support Israel at all cost. There is no nuance for these people -- that it's possible to support the Palestinian people who are being oppressed who didn't take part in 10/7 and also support the Israelis who suffered a brutal terroristic attack. It's also possible to think Netanyahu is huge piece of shit whose dick is hard to wipe not just Hamas off the map but all of the Palestinians.

33 minutes ago, Captainant said:

It's moreso what Hartzell has been doing, completely selling out his student body to the culture war and now threatening academic punishment against legal peaceful protesters. That sets a precedent of punishing and ejecting students extrajudicially, and gives a strong weapon to a leader with ill intent in their heart

Edit: not saying hartzell is that person, but whoever comes after him is gonna have abbott's hand up his ass

32 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

We'll never know how close it might have gotten to Kent State 2, though.  What if the students had resisted?  What would DPS have done?

I'm not at all confident that cooler heads would have prevailed.

I just watched (ok, skimmed through) a 2-hour video of the events.  The cops were there for like 1.5 hours before they started to clear the area. 

I'm about as anti-Israel as it gets (note: not antisemitic), but these protests...as with most protests, are a waste of time...and often counterproductive.  In my view, it wasn't an unreasonable response.  

That said, I'm not discounting the ideological angle for Abbott.  I don't know enough about Hartzell to make that same statement about him.

Edited by DixonHur
  • Hook 'Em 1

On a side note, Eeyore's might have just gotten more interesting as I assume there will be protests there as well.  

Let's see if I can get myself arrested...I mean for something other than pot possession.

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

It's completely inappropriate to academically punish students for peaceful and legal expressions of free speech. 

The academy has been corrupted. It is useful to recognize this. 

Just now, Dahobbs said:

Isn't that why college exists? It would be unamerican to stop them. 

That's what dorm rooms are for...nobody needs to be fucking in a tent or the behind bushes in broad daylight...this ain't HS.

29 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

In my view, it wasn't an unreasonable response.  

You're an extremely weird dude. "I'm a lib and I don't like Israel, but I'm all for cops assaulting and arresting peaceful protests" is a pretty rare take. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Yeah I was meaning to respond to that as well but then got distracted by mountain handjobs.

What about the police response was acceptable? If you watched 2 hours of footage, what did you see that warranted the reaction?

Edit: directed at Dixon