Why Can't I Quit You, Austin?

texasdago

...and hey, in current Austin I can bump into @jimmyjazz at a show and see that Austin still turns out great new bands... and a lot of them TBH.

For those who care, Money Chicha playing at Central Machine Works on Sunday.

Which reminds me, Africa Night at the Sahara Lounge is one of the best things going in Austin...

image.thumb.png.16375a5bb780b690d75d5a6b55675944.png

• Hook 'Em 5

I'm an old band guy. Long ago before dj"s.  A million frat parties. New Orleans Club, Jade Room. Club Saracen. That was all great...but...it was isolated...for the most part indoors. This by way of saying I'm not opposed to music, but not on every damn corner! When I'm on the trail I want to hear the sounds of nature, not some up and coming band that may, or may not, be in tune. I don't care if they're on a cool floating stage. I want to hear the birds! The Trail of Lights has been completely ruined by turning it in to an outdoor concert. Enjoy the lights. Enjoy your fellow walkers and the Spirit of the Season. Leave off the loud music. Every event or Grand Opening doesn't have to have a band. 

Signed,

Old Band Guy.    Emphasis "old".

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, texasdago said:

...and hey, in current Austin I can bump into @jimmyjazz at a show and see that Austin still turns out great new bands... and a lot of them TBH.

For those who care, Money Chicha playing at Central Machine Works on Sunday.

Which reminds me, Africa Night at the Sahara Lounge is one of the best things going in Austin...

image.thumb.png.16375a5bb780b690d75d5a6b55675944.png

I miss TCs. Sahara Lounge is good, but doesn't hold a candle to what TCs once was. 

1 hour ago, Not that Bob said:

I'm an old band guy. Long ago before dj"s.  A million frat parties. New Orleans Club, Jade Room. Club Saracen. That was all great...but...it was isolated...for the most part indoors. This by way of saying I'm not opposed to music, but not on every damn corner! When I'm on the trail I want to hear the sounds of nature, not some up and coming band that may, or may not, be in tune. I don't care if they're on a cool floating stage. I want to hear the birds! The Trail of Lights has been completely ruined by turning it in to an outdoor concert. Enjoy the lights. Enjoy your fellow walkers and the Spirit of the Season. Leave off the loud music. Every event or Grand Opening doesn't have to have a band. 

Signed,

Old Band Guy.    Emphasis "old".

I'll take it you're not going to be at party island, then? 

• Haha 1

The pond at Camp Mabry. Tucked on a base next to a freeway. I always forget I'm in central Austin. Fishing while the herons, egrets, and deer watch. It's a nice little spot. 

20230610_070249.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Too damn hot.  I’ll stay out here in lonely California 

Uhhh... I'm not sure you understand the premise of this thread.  We're delighted that you love California.  The thread for people who prefer California is over there ---->

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Uhhh... I'm not sure you understand the premise of this thread.  We're delighted that you love California.  The thread for people who prefer California is over there ---->

<---

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

I love that my family can go play putt putt golf on a Saturday morning. The same course my dad played on as a kid. Then, we can find multiple spots with great breakfast tacos. Then, we can choose from a few central Austin pools that all have a communal feel. Then we can choose between 3 or so record stores to browse through the bins. Then we can go to a movie and choose from 3 central Alamo Drafthouses, including the oldest operating one in the country.

That’s all within 15-20 minutes of each other.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, utee94 said:

I like Conan's much much much better than Desanos, but it's an entirely different style of pizza.

Deep dish Savage on whole wheat is the Truth.

Ok I wasn’t going to quote your pics but deep dish savage on whole wheat is one of the best pizzas I’ve ever had. Sure a lot of nostalgia but still great. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, utee94 said:

Food, local travel, and music are among the top things to love about Austin.  Seems pretty natural they'd all feature prominently in a thread like this.

On that note, another thing I love about Austin... Bob Schneider at the Saxon Pub:

image.thumb.png.40d0a60ecfa277eeaec257a1b35ffe8c.png

Geez are you in my head? Though we prefer him at the hill country galleria these days. #40dogs is my signature shout out to my lady. Like good times that haven’t happened yet but will.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Deej said:

The pond at Camp Mabry. Tucked on a base next to a freeway. I always forget I'm in central Austin. Fishing while the herons, egrets, and deer watch. It's a nice little spot. 

20230610_070249.jpg

What’s the deets on fishing it ? 

Posted (edited)

My answers? 

Disch Falk on a weeknight … Cactus Cafe for singer songwriter magnificence (used to be one of the only smoke free spots in town), and lake Travis at dusk… the legacy of what these three spots mean in my life will likely keep me here or at least close if we have to leave for a long long time. 

IMG_4638.jpeg

IMG_4639.jpeg

IMG_2953.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, utee94 said:

I have an idea!  Why don't we leave both the preemptive thread-shitting and the reactionary thread-shitting to the doomsayer threads like ___ what the f is wrong with you and the great enshittification thread, and leave this one positive, as it was designed and intended?

I'll go again--

I grew up going here as a kid in the 70s/80s, and my kids have grown up going here as well.  And it really hasn't changed all that much, aside from 1/2 of it becoming an antique mall...

image.thumb.png.eac45feff63024cb302a233921e86fe1.png

I was there a fair amount in the early 80’s.  I was a couple neighborhoods over, across Burnet so it was just out of bike range for us.  But we went there a bunch.  

• Hook 'Em 1

We live near Conan’s, and it’s a fave. As is Top Notch.
I dig our green belts, we live on one now. Hike it, hunt for fossils and arrowheads, listen to the water running.
The Little Longhorn has changed, but it’s still a damned fine beer joint.
The Asian food scene in this town has EXPLODED since we moved here 35 years ago, lots of great places now.
Taco trailers on N. Lamar. And my old school barber shop, Bob’s, is up there too.

There’s plenty to love in this town. Still…it ain’t paradise.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We live near Conan’s, and it’s a fave. As is Top Notch.
I dig our green belts, we live on one now. Hike it, hunt for fossils and arrowheads, listen to the water running.
The Little Longhorn has changed, but it’s still a damned fine beer joint.
The Asian food scene in this town has EXPLODED since we moved here 35 years ago, lots of great places now.
Taco trailers on N. Lamar. And my old school barber shop, Bob’s, is up there too.

There’s plenty to love in this town. Still…it ain’t paradise.

Top Notch and Conan's are still haunts that I go to with my now ancient HS friends.  Go Trojans!

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Still…it ain’t paradise.

Yeah but it ain’t a complete parking lot yet, barely.

13 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Top Notch and Conan's are still haunts that I go to with my now ancient HS friends.  Go Trojans!

Don’t forget Wally’s!

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yeah but it ain’t a complete parking lot yet, barely.

Don’t forget Wally’s!

Of course, Wally's was just the Dairy Queen back in my early Fine Trojan days.  We had a friend that worked there who convinced us to never order one of those frosty's!  Made of pretty nasty stuff.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

15 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Agreed on Posse East & Crown.  Whoever brought it up, The Beach was where Crown & Anchor now resides.  Posse East is at the south end of the block.

I'm so glad Hole In The Wall is still going.  I've played at some pretty iconic clubs in Austin, but playing this tiny stage at this dump convinced me I had "made it" (even though I never made it).  Absolutely my favorite bar in the world.  SO many shows and stories.

image.thumb.png.779d08240d1435100da16b1d928aa2b2.png

I had a reality sandwich there once about 1983 and Emmylou Harris was sitting at the next table. It was about 3:30 in the afternoon and we were pretty much the only ones there. She was doing a ACL show with Rodney Crowell. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, utee94 said:

I can't quit Austin and I can't quit Conan's.  It's amazing to me that the Anderson/Burnet location is almost identical to how it was when I was in high school decades ago.

image.png.626a48a82558beea72a0f4747becf342.png

image.png.cb358ed150b78911c4f923976b471a80.png

image.thumb.png.66bc3c6ac47ee7c3a09f8d1070da1656.png

Miss that pizza. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

Is this where we celebrate when Nic...er...the Rainey Street Killer is apprehended?

I'll add this area. I was lucky enough to live off the Butler Hike and Bike trail for a couple years, and it's a beautiful place to view the city.

PXL_20201004_015354220.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.7c4f6579f546cfeb0447584cbd76895f.jpg

I lived at Congress and riverside from 2007-2010. Watched the Austonian go up from my bedroom window, a floor at a time over a matter of months. Rent back then for a 1BR was $1100/month. Walked the dogs at the trail every day. That was a good time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

After being away from Austin for 28 years and finally moving back, I can say that East Austin is amazing. The food, the bars, the atmosphere. Fantastic. Love it. 

Indeed. My wife and I love to grab lunch in East Austin on a Saturday and then spend the afternoon bar hopping.

9 minutes ago, texasdago said:

We're hitting up Clarksville today for lunch and then making our way over to Pease Park for the madness although my son wants to go skate at House Park first.  Great combo for the day.

Nice.

We're doing this:

image.png.d1c3c50ca0603bd3367fb628a7c02272.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, texasdago said:

We're hitting up Clarksville today for lunch and then making our way over to Pease Park for the madness although my son wants to go skate at House Park first.  Great combo for the day.

May have crossed paths.  Walked the dogs and the wife down shoal creek greenbelt, had no idea it was Eeyore's Bday, so that was fun, all the way to Town Lake and back this morning.

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:
19 hours ago, troph said:
Geez are you in my head? Though we prefer him at the hill country galleria these days. #40dogs is my signature shout out to my lady. Like good times that haven’t happened yet but will.

Turn a close shave into a woohoo.

You’re the color of the colored part of the wizard of oz movie. 

• Drool 1