Waiting for the sky to fall (Catch all tornado thread)

Royalfan5

3 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Heartbreaking, that little town is gone.

I used to spend the day with dad driving all through the Osage checking leases, meeting with owners.  We'd end up in Barnsdall, or Hominy, or Pawhuska for lunch.  Makes me sick.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)

There might be a silver lining in it.  A very small town near our farm got half leveled a couple of years ago (half of the town was destroyed).  Not near as bad of a storm, but a flattened home is a flattend home.

Insurance required everyone to rebuild on that property, and now you drive through and wonder why this town of ~50 people on the Minnesota/Iowa border is comprised of mostly brand new homes.  That storm was also a night time 'nader.

https://www.kimt.com/news/one-year-later-tiny-taopi-took-on-an-ef-2-tornado-and-won/article_1ed4e29c-d983-11ed-81af-c306ef0b1393.html

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

That has been one of the most amazing leaps in weather technology in the last 20 years or so: most of the time, they can accurately warn of a tornado/likely tornado in enough time for people to actually take shelter/get out of the path.  It's amazing.  Science, fuck yeah.

• Hook 'Em 8

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That has been one of the most amazing leaps in weather technology in the last 20 years or so: most of the time, they can accurately warn of a tornado/likely tornado in enough time for people to actually take shelter/get out of the path.  It's amazing.  Science, fuck yeah.

That and a whole day before they wer e like "hey, oklahoma, gonna be some bad tornadoes tomorrow, bank on it." so people were hopefully already ready to go. 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, Zonahorn said:

@RDCanecutter is from the Hnustvile area IIRC, y'all ok?

Thanks for the thoughts, but we are walking distance from Birmingham, about 100 miles south of Huntsville. No alarms here. The underground stream below our basement may rise again but that's normal.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/7/2024 at 9:38 AM, Blotto said:

I grew up there. Is it better than most of the shithole smaller towns in the state? Yes. Is it still full of dumbass, bible banging okies? Yes. Did I get the fuck out at my first opportunity and head to UT? Yes, yes I did.

Here's a screenshot from radar as that tornado made its way through town. The circle was drawn by the streamer whose stream I grabbed it from indicating where that tornado was. The arrow I added points to the house I grew up in. That woulda been an ass-puckerer. 

BvilleTornado.png.8897e941146b945700ee8ad32d48ea40.png 

Same. BHS '88 and I've been there probably twice since my parents retired out of state 20 years ago.

On 5/7/2024 at 11:37 AM, SamsCorner said:

I used to spend the day with dad driving all through the Osage checking leases, meeting with owners.  We'd end up in Barnsdall, or Hominy, or Pawhuska for lunch.  Makes me sick.

That's the little town near "Pioneer Woman" Ree Drummond's ranch.  I like watching her cook, she completely lacks pretension.  As a died in the wool Show Me guy who moved to Texas for college, I'd never live in Oklahoma, but there are a lot of good (if misguided) people there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

NWS just issued a "Favorable conditions for funnel clouds" for my county.

I don't know if this is a precursor to an actual tornado watch, or if we've just zoomed on past that.  Does NOT seem like nader weather.  It was muggy AF yesterday, but it's been raining/drizzling since midnight.  Not much volatility in the air it seems.

Just looked it up.  Weird.  Seems to just be aerial funnel clouds that don't become actual tornadoes.https://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=IAZ009&warncounty=IAC089&firewxzone=IAZ009&local_place1=Cresco IA&product1=Special+Weather+Statement&lat=43.3746&lon=-92.1134 

Crazy that it's happening by Charles City, though.  That place is an absolute nader magnet.  My grandpa was working there during their 1968 EF5.

charlescitytornado.gif

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

NWS just issued a "Favorable conditions for funnel clouds" for my county.

I don't know if this is a precursor to an actual tornado watch, or if we've just zoomed on past that.  Does NOT seem like nader weather.  It was muggy AF yesterday, but it's been raining/drizzling since midnight.  Not much volatility in the air it seems.

Just looked it up.  Weird.  Seems to just be aerial funnel clouds that don't become actual tornadoes.https://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=IAZ009&warncounty=IAC089&firewxzone=IAZ009&local_place1=Cresco IA&product1=Special+Weather+Statement&lat=43.3746&lon=-92.1134 

Crazy that it's happening by Charles City, though.  That place is an absolute nader magnet.  My grandpa was working there during their 1968 EF5.

charlescitytornado.gif

He wasn't working for Oliver was he?

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

He wasn't working for Oliver was he?

No.  The city actually.  Funny you mention Olivers though, as the other side of my family (the one that farms) had plenty, and a 1655 was the first thing I ever learned to drive (after the skidloader of course).  And I know a lot of guys my dad's age who worked in that White factory.

8Wy-KixrQ0NRTjDREzNsqWxy.jpeg

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

No.  The city actually.  Funny you mention Olivers though, as the other side of my family (the one that farms) had plenty, and a 1655 was the first thing I ever learned to drive (after the skidloader of course).  And I know a lot of guys my dad's age who worked in that White factory.

giphy.gif

Posted (edited)

Not a nado, but not good if that continues for the Southern portion of the Metroplex.

At 414 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm was located near Granbury, moving east at 40 mph.

HAZARD...Tennis ball size hail and 60 mph wind gusts.

Edited by SimonBolivar

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

How the hell does that dam not have a spillway? 

It does.  And gates, although it doesn't say what capacity.

"The uncontrolled spillway consists of a concrete sill and a short apron located in a saddle adjacent to the left abutment. The spillway has a bottom width of 135 feet and a design capacity of 37,200 cubic feet per second (cfs) at the maximum pool. The flood control outlet works consist of a 7.5- by 10.33-foot oblong conduit operated by two 3.75- by 8.5-foot slide gates with an invert elevation at 711.0."

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

While I learned on a 706 on my Mom’s side, the local A-C/Oliver/MM dealer dominated our area, so it put that Charles City/Oliver connection pretty solid in my head. Those over/unders took the abuse of the dairy guys really well. (M-M big block propane motors on the irrigation wells to, a bunch still running today) 

23 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Tornado warning for San Marcos. Nice little hook echo. @InkaUtexas hold on to your butt.

Was not there. Was driving to DFW can got stuck in that nasty cell that went across I35 West just outside DFW. There is no where to hide up there.

Buddy was house sitting. Said baseball sized hail. Lost a pretty nice tree to the winds. Veggie garden is no more. Might be able to bring some plants back, but maybe... trees in pots (had about 50) are pretty much start over from the base. One that pisses me off is the 7 foot Avocado. I liked that dang tree. Wife's chimea survived.

neighbor behind lost her front living room window.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Was not there. Was driving to DFW can got stuck in that nasty cell that went across I35 West just outside DFW. There is no where to hide up there.

Buddy was house sitting. Said baseball sized hail. Lost a pretty nice tree to the winds. Veggie garden is no more. Might be able to bring some plants back, but maybe... trees in pots (had about 50) are pretty much start over from the base. One that pisses me off is the 7 foot Avocado. I liked that dang tree. Wife's chimea survived.

neighbor behind lost her front living room window.

Damn that sucks man. I also have a 7 ft avocado tree that my daughter started from a pit about 7 years ago. I would be pissed if a hailstorm killed it after dragging it in and out over the years during freezes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...