Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread

bolverk

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

The antics of these protestors with their “send humanitarian aid” bullshit are sucking up all the oxygen in the room. Fewer people are talking about dead Palestinians now than before they started.

I agree, in large part, that the protests themselves have become the main spectacle. Some of it is just plain silly, and I think that's by design to raise awareness about their grievances. The problem is that they've drawn attention to themselves, which could also be part of individual/organizational strategies to build social legitimacy among their peers.

From the other side, of course, there's also the over-the-top response by the cops and colleges in some cases, which could also be a specific strategy on their part to divert attention away from Gaza. So now the public focus has become the protests themselves, testing the boundaries of freedom of speech and assembly from two angles: activists vs. authorities.

Edit: What I mean by the bolded is that the organizations and their leaders want to build clout and reputation. This, obviously, also applies to politicians and police chiefs, so the dynamic becomes a test of wills about what's allowable in conveying a particular message and/or how to discredit that message.

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Because some of them go on into the normal workforce (not the marxist poet woman), and import the delusional bratty behavior with them. That's why you get people running amok disrupting conferences or the corporate "takeover" of Google offices.  If it was your kids exhibiting antisocial behavior you'd want to nip it in the bud. If it was somebody elses kids you'd want to mock those parents ceaselessly.

This is exactly the false dichotomy from the left's previous pet project where things are people are racist OR anti-racist and nothing in between.  (you cant be identity agnostic and treat people as individuals, thats just a mask for race guilt and means youve failed the kafka test).  And just like the above, it slowly seeped into the real world where doctors in training are taught they're racist, and school boards pay a program called 'woke kindergarten' (actual name) to instruct economically disadvantaged elementary schools how to dismantle whiteness.

This batshit lunatic dogma isnt self-contained to campuses.  It spreads and infects everything around it.

So are politics cool in here or not? Make up your minds.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, VivaNaranja said:

Christ man. It's absolutely not a conspiracy. That is simply the cheapest tent and the top result on Amazon. It's not shocking that everyone buys the same thing when everyone shops at the same place.

Lol, what’s next, arguing that their masks aren’t used to conceal their identity?  

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, bolverk said:

Answer: CHILDLORE

A few months ago, I read this kinda interesting article about it. I love the graphic they used.

image.png.07f4b5d1fc3084ca82cd907d40c91e83.png

(spoilering because almost completely tangential) 

Hide contents

Why Did We All Have the Same Childhood?
Children have a folklore all their own, and the games, rhymes, trends, and legends that catch on spread to many kids across time and space.

You might not think of typing “BOOBS” on a calculator as cultural heritage, but it is. The custom has been shared, preserved, and passed down through generations of children sniggering in math class. This sacred communal knowledge, along with other ephemera of youth—the blueprints for a cootie catcher, the words to a jump-rope rhyme, the rhythm of a clapping game—is central to the experience of being a kid.

When children are together, they develop their own rituals, traditions, games, and legends—essentially, their own folklore, or, as researchers call it, “childlore.” That lore can be widespread and long-lasting—the mind boggles to think how many generations of children have played tag, for instance. Even seemingly more modern inventions, such as the “cool S”—a blocky, graffiti-ish S that has been etched into countless spiral-bound notebooks—are a shared touchstone for many people who grew up in different times and places in the U.S. How is it that so many children across time and space come to know the exact same things?

Children themselves probably couldn’t tell you where their lore began. If you ask a kid where a particular game or rhyme came from, they’ll likely tell you they invented it, Rebekah Willett, a professor at the Information School at the University of Wisconsin at Madison who has studied childlore, told me: “They cannot trace it, and they have no investment in tracing it.” Indeed, thinking back to the lore of my own youth, I have no idea how my friends and I thought to give each other “cootie shots” with the lead of a mechanical pencil, or why everyone in my elementary-school art class would smear their hands with Elmer’s glue, wait for it to dry, and then methodically peel it off (other than the fact that it was super fun and I would do it again right now if I had some glue nearby). These things were almost like analog memes, micro-bits of culture that seemed to come from nowhere and everywhere.

Also like memes, where childlore comes from is arguably less important than how it spreads and why it gains traction in the first place. The main way childlore spreads is, perhaps obviously, by children teaching it to one another. Older kids mentor younger ones both at school and at home, where siblings play a vital role in passing jokes and games down through generations. As for how childlore spreads geographically, there are a couple of key players. One is the new kid, who shows up at school with a pocketful of lore from elsewhere. The other is cousins, who are many kids’ closest peers who don’t attend their school.

Adults have a role to play in perpetuating childlore as well, albeit a supporting one. Parents and teachers share nursery rhymes, folk songs, and games with kids, and adults create the movies, books, and TV shows that kids consume. Our nostalgia for our own childhood shapes what kids get exposed to. But Steve Roud, a British folklorist and the author of The Lore of the Playground, emphasized to me that folklore is by its nature not handed down by an authority. It is of the people, by the people—even if those people are children. So although kids may crib from pop culture and adopt things they learn from adults, making something their own and using it for their own purposes is what transmutes it into childlore. PAW Patrol is not childlore; a game that kids invent on the playground using PAW Patrol characters is.

As Iona and Peter Opie, two pioneers in the childlore field, wrote in their 1959 book, The Lore and Language of Schoolchildren, “The scraps of lore which children learn from each other are at once more real, more immediately serviceable, and more vastly entertaining to them than anything which they learn from grown-ups.” And some information—such as how to summon Bloody Mary in a mirror or guarantee a snow day by wearing your pajamas inside out—you simply cannot rely on grown-ups to impart anyway.

As for what kinds of things become popular, Alex Mesoudi, who studies cultural evolution at the University of Exeter, in the U.K., pointed me toward two main forces that influence whether a particular chunk of culture will spread. One, which you could call “catchiness,” is whether the content of the lore itself is likely to be “remembered, passed on and adopted by others,” he told me in an email: For instance, a pithy song that rhymes and repeats is probably more memorable than a long, winding one. The other is the context in which you learn about a thing, and how high-status that context is—it could be the hot pop-culture trend of the moment or just associated with the popular kids at school. I’ll call this “coolness.” (And, of course, the allure of naughtiness cannot be overstated. Anything adults have deemed taboo is a hot commodity in kid society.)

When kids latch on to something, boy, do they latch on. Talking with Roud and reading his book, I was amazed at how many shared references we had despite being from different generations and different countries. We reminisced about the classic “Jingle bells, Batman smells” parody, which he called “perfect.” “That’s the power of folklore,” he told me. “It’s known all over the English-speaking world, because it works. That’s all it boils down to.”

Where we diverged, however, was on the second line of the song. For me, it’s “Robin laid an egg.” But Roud grew up singing, “Robin flew away.” That, he told me, demonstrates a central tension of folklore—between similarity and variation, tradition and invention.

Although some elements of childlore last and last, others come and go with the culture of the moment. But even then, Willett told me, kids often build on what came before, whether they realize it or not. For instance, COVID-19 has shown up in many kids’ games, including coronavirus tag— which is, of course, built on one of the most classic kids’ games there is. (Roud suspects that in Victorian times, European children played cholera tag or something similar.)

Another example Willett gave, from one of her studies, was a game based on the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who—monsters that can move only when you’re not looking at them. Even though the game was inspired by pop culture, Willett noted that a game where you creep up on someone while they’re not looking is a very old structure. One such game, Grandmother’s Footsteps, dates back to at least the 1900s, she writes.

This brings me to an issue that apparently really cheeses people who study childlore: Adults, it seems, are in a perpetual state of worry that Kids These Days just don’t play like they used to, probably because of whatever technology was most recently introduced. Roud and Willett both independently brought this up to me and insisted that it’s not true. As Willett’s research shows, technology and media do influence kids’ play—but that doesn’t mean play itself is in jeopardy.

Willett thinks grown-ups can be overly focused on “children as becoming,” worrying about their development and preparing them for the adult life they will one day lead. And in the process, she thinks, we can miss “children as being”—the complex society and culture they inhabit right now. Childlore is a shared language among children, and although adults may remember it fondly, we aren’t fluent in it anymore. We don’t always know it when we see it, because it isn’t for us. “All you see is kids running around screaming,” Roud said. “You don’t realize that they are playing a game.”

And so, as we come of age, we may lose an understanding of something we once knew in our very bones: that typing 8-0-0-8-5 on a calculator is not just naughty and fun, but important. The rebellious thrill, the intense comradery, the urge to pass the knowledge along (and pretend you came up with it yourself)—all of these things fade with time. But that’s okay. The kids will keep the tradition alive.

Wait, some people sing “Jingle Bells, Batman Smells, Robin Flew Away”?

NO! “Robin Laid an Egg!”  That’s WHY Batman smells. What is this antifa woke bullshit about flying away?!

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Depends on the post and what side you're on. Speck vs plank in the eye kind of thing.

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This is political.  Take it somewhere else.

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

How can this topic be discussed without politics?  The whole thing is political.

Are we just supposed to discuss tent styles, and fashion?

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

How can this topic be discussed without politics?  The whole thing is political.

Personally, I think the whole thread should go to the Cloak Room.  Then again, I am not a poster that is afraid of the Cloak Room.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 2

The saving grace in all of this is how much direct specific help the Palestinians trying to live in bombed out hovels with no water, sewer, medical care etc etc are getting from all the “support” of these rich entitled US college students living in tents and occupied buildings. The struggle is real. Really is heart warming to see.

16 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

What does this have to do with public policy? 

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Lol, what’s next, arguing that their masks aren’t used to conceal their identity?  

So your proposition is that there's major financial backers behind the scenes, organizing and supplying the less-than-peaceful protestors with cheap tents? Is it George Soros? This shit ain't exactly helping the left's chances in November. Oh, maybe it's Harlan Crow?

14 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

The saving grace in all of this is how much direct specific help the Palestinians trying to live in bombed out hovels with no water, sewer, medical care etc etc are getting from all the “support” of these rich entitled US college students living in tents and occupied buildings. The struggle is real. Really is heart warming to see.

But if they just participated in a grass roots effort to fundraise and get food and supplies to Palestine, how would they get attention??

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

These cops in LA have some badass gear.  What do you think one full set of kit, from the helmet to the boots, gun, taser, armor, patches, backpack, goggles the whole shitaree cost the taxpayers?  I'm guessing at least $50,000 which means, because government bidding was involved $125,000 is the real number.

These guys look like something from a futuristic movie.  Their shit is way nicer than those Delta guys in Blackhawk Down had.

Yeah, it does look quite dystopian.  Mass shooting event in public?  Two squad cars with pistols and maybe a shotgun.  Some skinny college kids shouting next to a tent?  A fucking APV, assault rifles, and flash-bang grenades.  

Sounds about right our country these days.

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, it does look quite dystopian.  Mass shooting event in public?  Two squad cars with pistols and maybe a shotgun.  Some skinny college kids shouting next to a tent?  A fucking APV, assault rifles, and flash-bang grenades.  

Sounds about right our country these days.

Perhaps, but it is one thing to respond to an event, another to prepare to go to an event. And most police now have rifles in their car.

Fair point, but in this day and age---there should be a quick response vehicle at every station/sub-station that has higher-powered weaponry, vests, helmets, flash-bangs, etc. with which to respond quickly to an active shooter event.  They obviously have it because it's all over campus right now.  I can't remember the movie, but the quote was basically, "You keep building and buying new toys, then every so often...you gotta show 'em off." 

54 minutes ago, CoTex said:

These cops in LA have some badass gear.  What do you think one full set of kit, from the helmet to the boots, gun, taser, armor, patches, backpack, goggles the whole shitaree cost the taxpayers?  I'm guessing at least $50,000 which means, because government bidding was involved $125,000 is the real number.

These guys look like something from a futuristic movie.  Their shit is way nicer than those Delta guys in Blackhawk Down had.

The patches are where they fleece you.

1 minute ago, GopherRock said:

Negotiations succeed in Minneapolis.

Hopefully this is good news for a friend's daughter who is graduating this year.  She said the graduation ceremony had been canceled because of the protests.

1 minute ago, GopherRock said:

Negotiations succeed in Minneapolis.

Tell me it's a coincidence that this "mall" is named Northrop.  If the land was donated by these guys

Home | Northrop Grumman

Well that's just too fucking rich.

Mr. Northrop and his blood money say "get off my lawn."

4 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Tell me it's a coincidence that this "mall" is named Northrop.  If the land was donated by these guys

Home | Northrop Grumman

I think it's named after Cyrus Northrop

Don't think he has anything to do with the Northrop Grumman, but could be a family member.

• Hook 'Em 2

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2024-05-02/student-fears-triggered-by-israel-palestinian-tensions-skyrocket

A new national study led by the University of Chicago has for the first time documented in detail the extent of those fears and reasons for them — along with student attitudes toward genocide, antisemitism, Islamophobia and possible ways to calm tensions.

The study found that 58% of students who identified as Jewish and 52% of those who said they were Muslim have feared for their safety since Oct. 7. An additional 16% of neither background also expressed fears. This represents as many as 3 million students across the country.

“The campus fears are more intense and more widespread than what we’ve previously known,” said Robert Pape, a University of Chicago political science professor and director of the Chicago Project on Security and Threats who wrote the report.

The nonpartisan analysis is based on a nationally representative sample of 5,000 college students at more than 600 four-year academic institutions included in two commissioned surveys between mid-December and mid-January — before the most recent clashes at numerous universities throughout the nation, including USC, the University of Texas at Austin and Columbia. The surveys were conducted at the University of Chicago by NORC, previously the National Opinion Research Center, and College Pulse, with narrow margins of error from 1% to 1.94%.

In one finding, about 10% of college students would permit student groups to call for genocide against Jews, and 13% of college students say that when Jews are attacked, it is because they deserve it. The same percentage would permit that call against Muslims.

Other students at UCLA, like fifth-year art history graduate student Benjamin Kersten, said they similarly feel safe on campus, outside the occasional Zionist protester walking through.

“You never want to be called a traitor and have death wished upon your family,” said Kersten, who is an anti-Zionist Jew. “It’s not fun; but otherwise, I haven’t felt unsafe on campus.”

Pape, of the University of Chicago, said some fears are driven by a “tragic misunderstanding” of the other side’s intentions. The most frequently used pro-Palestinian protest chant — “From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free” — is understood in dramatically different ways by various students.

The survey found that 66% of Jewish students interpreted it as a call for the expulsion and genocide of Israeli Jews, a perception closely linked to fears for their safety.

By contrast, 14% of Muslim students interpreted the chant that way. Rather, 76% of those surveyed understood it as a call for Palestinians and Israelis to live side by side in two separate countries or in one state.

Among all students, 42% understood the chant as a call for mutual existence, compared with 26% of those who believed it advocates for the expulsion and genocide of Israeli Jews.

The overwhelming share of students, including Jews and Muslims, said they abhor political violence and that calls for genocide were unacceptable.

The survey found that college students are not particularly antisemitic, as measured by agreement with such traditional tropes as that Jews have too much power and are unfair business competitors. But rather, they hold highly negative views of Israel as a state.

“Campus anger is mainly against Israel as a state and not the Jewish people per se,” Pape said.

Islamophobia is also relatively low among college students — lower than attitudes by American adults, the survey found.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

So your proposition is that there's major financial backers behind the scenes, organizing and supplying the less-than-peaceful protestors with cheap tents? Is it George Soros? This shit ain't exactly helping the left's chances in November. Oh, maybe it's Harlan Crow?

They should have done more research and not all bought the same tent from Amazon

Amazon to invest $7.2 billionin Israel, launches AWS cloud region. Aug 1 (Reuters) - Amazon.com (AMZN. O) , opens new tab said on Tuesday it is planning to invest about $7.2 billion through 2037 in Israel

https://www.reuters.com/technology/amazon-invest-72-bln-israel-launches-aws-cloud-region-2023-08-01/#:~:text=Amazon to invest %247.2 billion in Israel%2C launches AWS cloud region,-By Reuters&text=Aug 1 (Reuters) - Amazon,data centers in the country.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Home | Northrop Grumman

Cyrus Northrop was the president of the U of Minnesota long before either Jack Northrop or Leroy Grumman founded their companies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Not a fraternity guy myself but had some friends that were KA's at Southwest Texas State University and I'm familiar with their experiences and practices.

It just occurred to me that some fraternity guys were sitting around on a couch watching all this stuff unfold and they came up with a grand idea:

"Let's make the pledges go fuck with the protesters." 

After much planning, beer and bong interaction they came up with "pledges, assemble - you are to go defend the American flag in the middle of this protest at all costs.  If that flag comes down we're going to haze you fuckers until you die."

Then fraternity guys sat back on the couch and watched their glorious plan unfold.

These fraternity guys weren't defending the flag out of patriotism, they were doing it out of fear of hazing bullshit and retribution and, the only way they were letting go of that flag was if the Palestinians made life worse than the expected hazing.

This story is everything that is great about America.

1 minute ago, CoTex said:

Not a fraternity guy myself but had some friends that were KA's at Southwest Texas State University and I'm familiar with their experiences and practices.

It just occurred to me that some fraternity guys were sitting around on a couch watching all this stuff unfold and they came up with a grand idea:

After much planning, beer and bong interaction they came up with "pledges, assemble - you are to go defend the American flag in the middle of this protest at all costs.  If that flag comes down we're going to haze you fuckers until you die."

Then fraternity guys sat back on the couch and watched their glorious plan unfold.

These fraternity guys weren't defending the flag out of patriotism, they were doing it out of fear of hazing bullshit and retribution and, the only way they were letting go of that flag was if the Palestinians made life worse than the expected hazing.

And you know this how?

3 minutes ago, CoTex said:

I doubt that.  Most pledging is in the fall.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

And you know this how?

Because my friends from SWTSU told me stories and this tracks.

Oh, and I've watched Animal House.

My narrative may not be 100% true but I think it is at least one possible explanation.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Because my friends from SWTSU told me stories and this tracks.

Oh, and I've watched Animal House.

My narrative may not be 100% true but I think it is at least one possible explanation.

Nothing I've read says it was a bunch of pledges. One of them that was interviewed was a junior. Juniors are rarely pledges.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

I’m not a fan of Israel but these fucks are straight up communists. 

ShE IsN'T WeARinG a MaSk tO HiDE HeR IdenTididDtY !!!1!!!!!11!1   ItS FoR CoViD!111!11  PoLlen!1!!1

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I doubt that.  Most pledging is in the fall.  

That's largely true, but I did it in January and was technically a Sophomore at that point by credit hours.  YMMV.  

Anyway, while I still disagree with the message and some of the property issues...there is probably a whole other set of shit to unpack on this related to bad actors being sent in who have no business being on campus.  And then as to above posts, you're gonna get some younger greek kids sent in by their older brothers to stir shit up mixed with booze and drugs.  I mean, it's the stress of finals mixed with young (albeit smart) undeveloped brains and social media attention and live news crews and lots of heavily armed police over a heated, but very multi-faceted issue.  What could possibly go wrong?  

19 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

I’m not a fan of Israel but these fucks are straight up communists. 

Stupid cunt.  Good.  She was just blathering about shit she knows nothing about.  FAFO indeed.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Depends on the post and what side you're on. Speck vs plank in the eye kind of thing.

Uh, if you haven't noticed, this thread has been completely taken over and CR'd by a certain few and their warped ass Twitter feeds for a few days now. And it's not the "cabal".

I get it. This is a slam dunk for the "leftist views run amok" crowd. But it's okay to just call it what it is at this point.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

The shit happening at UCLA is fucking unacceptable.  Jewish students being blocked from accessing areas of campus.  Total destruction of campus property.  Royce Hall graffiti’s, and defaced.  Pisses me off.

You can thank the local Iranian-American community members from Westwood for helping to rid this encampment on their own the night before. The Iranian-American diaspora, whether Jewish or Muslim, despise these Palestinian protestors. They’re affiliated with the same assholes oppressing their homeland.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Stupid cunt.  Good.  She was just blathering about shit she knows nothing about.  FAFO indeed.

I think they should continue protesting and raising hell when they get into the LA County lockup.  This guy will listen to it for about 30 seconds before he incentivizes you to STFU.

image.thumb.png.adc54ae09afdf9c24a5f396d8d78a37f.png  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

You can thank the local Iranian-American community members from Westwood for helping to rid this encampment on their own the night before. The Iranian-American diaspora, whether Jewish or Muslim, despise these Palestinian protestors. They’re affiliated with the same assholes oppressing their country.

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, CoTex said:

I think they should continue protesting and raising hell when they get into the LA County lockup.  This guy will listen to it for about 30 seconds before he incentivizes you to STFU.

image.thumb.png.adc54ae09afdf9c24a5f396d8d78a37f.png  

Once they move on to San Quentin they can deal with the Vatos Locos. They’ll shut them up for good.
image.jpeg.d14ce41fbb845345473fb362947db49e.jpeg

Edited by Macklemore

8 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Once they move on to San Quentin they can deal with the Vatos Locos. They’ll shut them up for good.
image.jpeg.d14ce41fbb845345473fb362947db49e.jpeg

Los Vatos Locos, pendejo.

Don't disrespec my family.

Signed, Milkweed.

• Haha 2

Apologies for my repetition but I just can't get beyond how fat and/or ugly these protestors are.  What is it about the Israel/Palestine conflict that is so magnetic to fat and ugly American college students?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Apologies for my repetition but I just can't get beyond how fat and/or ugly these protestors are.  What is it about the Israel/Palestine conflict that is so magnetic to fat and ugly American college students?

This has pretty much always been the case for student protestors.  Largely don't otherwise have a social life so they find each other and socialize over whatever flavor of the month they decide to protest or cause they take up.  It's their version of a fraternity/sorority. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

• bolverk changed the title to Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread