Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread

bolverk

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

They should have done more research and not all bought the same tent from Amazon

Amazon to invest $7.2 billionin Israel, launches AWS cloud region. Aug 1 (Reuters) - Amazon.com (AMZN. O) , opens new tab said on Tuesday it is planning to invest about $7.2 billion through 2037 in Israel

https://www.reuters.com/technology/amazon-invest-72-bln-israel-launches-aws-cloud-region-2023-08-01/#:~:text=Amazon to invest %247.2 billion in Israel%2C launches AWS cloud region,-By Reuters&text=Aug 1 (Reuters) - Amazon,data centers in the country.

How many of these cats do you wager have ever been inside an REI?

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Uh, if you haven't noticed, this thread has been completely taken over and CR'd by a certain few and their warped ass Twitter feeds for a few days now. And it's not the "cabal".

I get it. This is a slam dunk for the "leftist views run amok" crowd. But it's okay to just call it what it is at this point.

Yes, if you went through the posts and what perspective they come from then the CR majority view has bled over here. I'm not sure why the need to come to DT and post the same stuff. But the topic itself is politically charged and there is very little else to discuss as the protest will not change the tragedy in Israel and Gaza. Camping on the south mall is like taking a piss of the cliff at Oasis, then beating your chest about how much you just filled up Lake Travis.  Until 6 months ago, the vast majority of protesters could not have pointed out Gaza on a map, and didn't think about Israel and Palestine relations more than 1% of the year.  These campus protests are a narcissistic exercise.

There are infinite better ways for these protesters to affect change for this area of the world. Affect awareness and change locally but throwing a tantrum on campus hanging out in a tent isn't going to get it done. And not LOL, by having UT divest from inconsequential investments in weapons contractors.  Offer each protester a plane ticket and some GoFundMe money to get to the Egyptian border with Gaza to help with refugees. When you ask them to put their money where their mouths are, we would hear crickets.

2 hours ago, Macklemore said:

No you’re just the poster with the most negs in surly history who likes to gatekeep with the other members of the CR cabal with your negs. You can’t get away with that bullshit in the Daily Texan.

Ok, Icono.  Get any jersey's tailored lately?  

Shields are classic. So is running straight into the cop who is larger and falling on my ass to be arrested. Then  you have him getting away, to be put into a bear hug by some dude watching and handed back to the cops. Buddy comes, cop says something immediate "its cool Bro" hand signal.

Clip has it all.

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Ok, Icono.  Get any jersey's tailored lately?  

Thanks for inquiring, I’m getting my first new Texans jersey in over 7 years. Did you know that the Texans are getting new unis? They’re fire. I am getting a Will Anderson Jr. in white. Go down to the team store at NRG next time you grace us with your presence and you can rock one too. 

Edited by Macklemore

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Uh, if you haven't noticed, this thread has been completely taken over and CR'd by a certain few and their warped ass Twitter feeds for a few days now. And it's not the "cabal".

I get it. This is a slam dunk for the "leftist views run amok" crowd. But it's okay to just call it what it is at this point.

Guys whats really important to know here isnt that the histrionic cosplaying on college is being mocked for being histrionic cosplay. Its thats the mocking is being done by the “bad” people and their warped Twitter feeds. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

How should these protests be discussed?  Perhaps, I'm just not creative enough, but how can this be discussed in a way that doesn't bleed over into politics?  

They are literally political protests.  Probably shouldn't have been started in DT to begin with.

17 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Guys whats really important to know here isnt that the histrionic cosplaying on college is being mocked for being histrionic cosplay. Its thats the mocking is being done by the “bad” people and their warped Twitter feeds. 

Have at it, dude. They deserve mockery. But we don't have to pretend that this thread hasn't been CR'd to fuck. It is what it is.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Have at it, dude. They deserve mockery. But we don't have to pretend that this thread hasn't been CR'd to fuck. It is what it is.

Again, what's an example of a non-CR way to discuss this?  I'm serious.  I'm at a loss.

7 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Don’t you think it’s better to have a much broader cross-section of surly posting about these protests than in the CR echo chamber. BTW, this thread does not belong in CR. No one here is blaming Biden or saying these protests are a GOP psyop. That shit belongs in CR.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Like we are doing.  Making fun of these losers.

Exactly. I support their right to say and do dumb shit, because it gives everyone else the opportunity to mock them ceaselessly. Thats the consequence that they need to learn. 

And if their speech spills over into lawlessness and violence, they should be arrested and expelled. Thats an important consequence too. 

While they aren’t, but they’re crying foul over not getting their pizzas doordashed, they should be ridiculed. All of stupidity can never be eradicated, but some of it might be shamed into remission.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

^

Pos rep.  Always loved the way Ned delivered that line.  csb/ friend of mine we do CRE deals with, his grandmother was a close friend of Kurt Vonnegut (who appears in the movie as you likely recall).  He has all kinds of cool letters Kurt wrote her, personalized rough drafts of books, etc (they all lived near Kurt in his later years in Indianapolis).  Anyway, he scribbled out a note about that movie in which he says he told Harold Ramis to name the character 'Melon' as a ribbing joke to the Mellon family who basically bought their way into academia despite deploring the idea of the unwashed becoming educated.  I suppose we're seeing some of that today on campuses-not unworthy of education, but quite the dumbasses.       circle of life Simba.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

This has pretty much always been the case for student protestors.  Largely don't otherwise have a social life so they find each other and socialize over whatever flavor of the month they decide to protest or cause they take up.  It's their version of a fraternity/sorority. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

This has pretty much always been the case for student protestors.  Largely don't otherwise have a social life so they find each other and socialize over whatever flavor of the month they decide to protest or cause they take up.  It's their version of a fraternity/sorority. 

“Only people who don’t party care about injustice enough to speak out against it” is a weird fucking take. 

2 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Shields are classic. So is running straight into the cop who is larger and falling on my ass to be arrested. Then  you have him getting away, to be put into a bear hug by some dude watching and handed back to the cops. Buddy comes, cop says something immediate "its cool Bro" hand signal.

Clip has it all.

They spent a lot of time on those shields and then, in a moment, shield gone and you're on your ass being handcuffed by the fascist pig oppressors.

I guess that's a free shield for some bystander.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

lol they run like girls

They run like Josh Hawley in a 'Special Olympics' race.  

This is all so damn performative.  Everybody is being ridiculous.  There's not a cop or a university administrator or student protestor that remotely explain the millennia-long beef between Palestinians and Jews.  None of these fucking people on either side knew where the fuck the Gaza Strip was a year ago, they thought it was that Falafel place just off campus that also did pussy waxing. 

It's another version of millions of Americans condemning our support of Ukraine against Russia.  They don't know the history of their quarrel, the geopolitical ramifications of a 600km Eastern European theater of war and what it means to NATO.  

Not even the State Dept. or Dod knows all of this, but for fuck's sakes..........before you scream on the floor of the U.S. House or from a shanty tent on the campus Quad........do some basic fucking reading from a reliable source.  Better yet, just open up a fucking atlas.  Get off social media virals, put down your riot gear, open up a dialogue with your students, quit destroying property, take your concerns to the OCIOs, quit gassing kids, etc.  Everybody shut the fuck up about Russia, and China, and Palestine until you have clue fucking one about the nature of the issue.  Not saying I know everything about Yemen or Sudan or Taiwan or Hamas...but then I don't run a congressional district, or a university, or a student group, or a pillow company.  As David Mamet teaches us, "You'd know if you ever spent a day in your life.  You never open your mouth until you know what the shot is...You fucking child."  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

That last message is a nice touch

I was informed by jimmyjazz that masks don’t conceal identity, and he was adamant about it and called me a fascist moron at the common sense suggestion. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

I was informed by jimmyjazz that masks don’t conceal identity, and he was adamant about it and called me a fascist moron at the common sense suggestion. 

No.  We are crazy.  All you need are the eyes to identify someone.  Covering the rest of your face doesn’t hide anything.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

How many of these cats do you wager have ever been inside an REI?

Come on, you don't think any of these granola muching vegans ever make it to REI. 

I mean, they probably can't afford shit, understandably so, but they've been to REi to shop for sandals at least.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Mikey4 said:

That gofundme is up to $459,000, mostly from small (<$100) donations. If they're smart, they'll leverage this into a bigger, organized  response with social media presence.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/pi-kappa-phi-men-defended-their-flag-throw-em-a-rager

Spread it to other chapters and get them to do the same thing?

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

Spread it to other chapters and get them to do the same thing?

That's what I'm thinking. A national, sort-of-organized counter protest of the national, sort-of-organized protest. Wcgw?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

A fundamental contradiction of the US criminal justice system is that it places a high premium on law and order, yet those charged with upholding law and order repeatedly engage in illegal and unethical practice.

Let the kids protest. 

IMG_1099.thumb.jpeg.0a51f7aa36ee4f38257b337b0e00ee1c.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

There's not a cop or a university administrator or student protestor that remotely explain the millennia-long beef between Palestinians and Jews.

Huh. Weird that no one can explain something that doesn’t exist.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

More worried about T100 cops with eye scanners  

image.thumb.png.6e10168f3395082a6143471d3be027df.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

A fundamental contradiction of the US criminal justice system is that it places a high premium on law and order, yet those charged with upholding law and order repeatedly engage in illegal and unethical practice.

Let the kids protest. 

IMG_1099.thumb.jpeg.0a51f7aa36ee4f38257b337b0e00ee1c.jpeg

Would.

• Hook 'Em 4

46 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

image.png.8fe7193aa651237e214e3bfa470fcd9a.png

Thread. This is turning out to be a pretty good thread.

This is absolutely the best and funniest thread on surly right now.

It's certainly not what the protesters intended, but throw together a clownshow, and you're gonna get laughed at.

(And possibly tazed because clownshows are scary)

37 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

What if the masks are for their long covid?

• Haha 7

20 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

That gofundme is up to $459,000, mostly from small (<$100) donations. If they're smart, they'll leverage this into a bigger, organized  response with social media presence.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/pi-kappa-phi-men-defended-their-flag-throw-em-a-rager

For $450k/day my friends and i are willing to defend either flags, american or palestinian. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

• bolverk changed the title to Worldwide Israel/Palestine War Protests Thread