Breckyn Hager thread of insanity and hair dominance

Machinator

One thing about Hager you cannot take from him. He played every down with everything he had. He might have not been the best or the most gifted, but there have been few ever to have played with his effort.

He played with his heart and his love for the everything burnt orange is undeniable...  

Thanks Hager. Your passion every single play is one of the finest examples ever of the heart of a longhorn.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

On 1/2/2019 at 3:39 PM, Gaffords said:

One thing about Hager you cannot take from him. He played every down with everything he had. He might have not been the best or the most gifted, but there have been few ever to have played with his effort.

He played with his heart and his love for the everything burnt orange is undeniable...  

Thanks Hager. Your passion every single play is one of the finest examples ever of the heart of a longhorn.

That’s...not accurate. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Eyes of Texas:

Scouts comments on Hager at Texas Pro Day:

LB/DE Breckyn Hager

“I thought Hager did the right thing coming into Pro Day at 245 instead of 260. He knows he’s a linebacker, not a 4i technique who took quite an ass-whooping playing that 4i. But he’s a team guy who tried to do what was asked of him, even though his best work on film (at Texas) is as a pass-rushing outside linebacker — probably from his sophomore season.” … “The fact that Hager went 39 and a half inches in the vertical and 10-plus feet in the broad jump shows he’s explosive. He’s a first-step guy, an effort guy with a nice motor. He’s gonna have to get with the right coach, get in the right defensive system for someone to maximize his talent. He may or may not get drafted. But in the right situation, he might be a guy who ends up outperforming expectations, because he was a really productive player per snap his sophomore year, and then kind of got lost at times. And not all of that was his fault as he was asked to do more and maybe got away from what he does best.” … “Hager’s probably gonna have to be a Sam backer in a 3-4. I like the kid. He’s a football player. His dad (Britt) was a productive player. His brother (Bryce) is in the league. Someone’s going to take a chance on Breckyn.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

I could see Hager being a special teams superstar in the league. That’s where he will have to go to make a roster imo.

Only problem is, he's horrible in open space...so...maybe only Kick/Punt return rather than cover... 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2019/04/09/nfl-draft-breckyn-hager-texas-longhorns-nick-foles/3408362002/

A lesson from Nick Foles helped inspire Texas' Breckyn Hager not to quit on his NFL dreams

Breckyn Hager eyed Nick Foles carefully.

It had been Hager’s oldest brother Bron’s idea to grab lunch with the nearly-retired-turned-Super-Bowl-MVP quarterback. Foles had played with Bron at Austin Westlake High dating back to 2005 and later with brother Bryce on the Rams in 2015.

Now here was the youngest Hager, whom Foles remembered flying past defenders for 80-yard touchdowns in Pop Warner games, in need of advice. Foles agreed to meet at Hopdoddy Burger Bar in Newport Beach, California.

Hager ordered a Prime Time burger, the American-grass-fed Kobe beef topped with Brie, arugula, caramelized onions, truffle aioli and tomato. He traded steak sauce for Hopdoddy’s “Sassy Sauce” combo of mayo, horseradish and honey mustard.

Foles ordered the Prime Time, too. He also ditched steak sauce for Sassy Sauce. Maybe this wouldn’t be so bad, Hager thought.

Then Foles broke the news to Hager.

“It’s OK to tell yourself you’re more than a football player,” Foles recalled to USA TODAY Sports of what he told Hager. “Playing football doesn’t mean your dreams of doing something else are out the window. Playing football helps with all that.”

Hager did a double take: Could he really chase NFL dreams without relinquishing big-screen aspirations?

Hager didn’t doubt his love of football. The 22-year-old former Longhorns captain savored game days, film study and team camaraderie as he amassed 136 tackles, 30 tackles for loss, 12 1/2 sacks and a pair of forced fumbles in 48 career games. He energized teammates with a vow not to cut his long gold locks until the team won a conference championship (after Oklahoma outlasted Texas 39-27 in the Big 12 title game, Hager waited for a Sugar Bowl win before allowing actor Matthew McConaughey to perform a four-hour trim). 

Hager had eagerly awaited the chance to flash his explosion off the line at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis in February.

But the invite never came. Hager wondered if he should simply chase his film dreams.

“It crushed me,” he told USA TODAY Sports by phone. “It didn’t crush me. Here’s what it did: I immediately knew I was going to take over film. You don’t [expletive] with a man’s confidence.”

Hager had already pursued one acting role with “Twelve Mighty Orphans,” adapted from a 2007 novel billed as the “original Friday Night Lights.” He’s producing two documentaries, as well, including one on former Longhorns teammate Gary Johnson’s life story. Without a combine invite, Hager wondered if his film dreams were more realistic than their football counterparts.

The Hager men implored Breckyn to take a step back. Bron knew Foles would understand.

Foles had transferred from Michigan State to Arizona and almost quit football after losing his love for it while with the Rams. Then Foles landed with the Chiefs, and soon after the Eagles. A Carson Wentz knee injury later, and "Saint Nick" was leading the franchise to its first-ever Super Bowl title.

In Kansas City and Philadelphia, Foles told Hager, he learned he need not confine his identity to football.

“In reality if you’re lying to yourself, you’re not going to be the best version of yourself,” said Foles, who noted last year he hopes to become a pastor after his playing career ends. “I played for two amazing coaches in Andy Reid and Doug Pederson, and one thing they both said was: Let your personality show. You’re going to be a part of a team bigger than yourself, so do whatever you can to help the team. But what makes a team great is all these different personalities.”

Hager could do that, Foles assured him. The quarterback, who signed a four-year deal with the Jaguars this offseason, reminded Hager that a colorful personality at Texas enabled rather than prevented his on-field production. Sure, the honesty led to school-orchestrated apologies in 2016 when Hager said he would aim to injure then-Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes and in 2018 when he quipped “OU still sucks” to the dismay of Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby.

(Hager says his comment about knocking Mahomes out of the game was intended as the “biggest compliment I can give a man,” because he saw the prolific passer as the barrier to a Texas win. “It’s the inside of me people don’t get.”)

But overall, Foles told Hager, that energy will fuel NFL teammates like it did his Texas teammates.

Hager agreed.

He recommitted to training ahead of the Longhorns' pro day, where he jumped a 39 1/2-inch vertical, a mark that only one of 24 linebackers at the combine eclipsed. Hager felt he exploded through bag drills with the Texans and made his case as an edge rusher in a private workout with Saints defensive coordinator Dennis Allen. He took to heart Cowboys scouts’ imperative at pro day to bulk up to 260 by draft day. (He was up from 242 at the March 27 event to 250 first week of April, he said.)

Now, the self-described multihyphenate eyes the draft with fire. The always-confident prospect dares teams not to miss out on “the next Tom Brady,” the “most explosive player in the draft with the quickest first step in Texas” who will beat “any tackle off the block any time.”

“Something you can’t measure: When I want something, I go get it and go all in,” Hager said, recalling the aftermath of a dislocated elbow in the Longhorns’ 42-41 loss to West Virginia on Nov. 3.

An MRI that Tuesday indicated Hager would miss six weeks, he said. Hager instead showed up to practice in his hospital gown, insisting he’d sign any legal paperwork relieving the university of injury liability. No way was a team captain missing next week’s game vs. Texas Tech.

He recorded three tackles, half a sack, a tackle for loss and a quarterback hurry in the 41-34 win at Lubbock. The budding actor even bandaged up his healthy elbow (albeit unconvincingly, he admits) in hopes the Red Raiders couldn’t discern which he’d actually dislocated.

It’s that drive to succeed – and knack for combining his passions – Foles said, that illustrates Hager’s value to an NFL roster.

“Any team that ends up with Breckyn is going to be excited about what he’ll bring to the table,” Foles said. “The energy, the explosion is in his gene pool.

“The fact that he’s understanding who he is as a person makes him even more dangerous on the football field.”

• 3 weeks later...
  • Machinator changed the title to Breckyn Hager thread of insanity and hair dominance - signs with the New York Giants

He’s not an NFL player.  Great longhorn yes! NFL’er , no. Best to move on to the working world or grad school.

Leg drive , no. Lower body power base,  no. Upfield burst , perhaps. Lateral quickness, no.  Easily moved outside , yes. 

Welcome to pharma sales. 

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

He’s not an NFL player.  Great longhorn yes! NFL’er , no. Best to move on to the working world or grad school.

Leg drive , no. Lower body power base,  no. Upfield burst , perhaps. Lateral quickness, no.  Easily moved outside , yes. 

Welcome to pharma sales. 

You might be surprised.  If that big slow cancer survivor LB from Boston College could have a long career with the Giants, then Hager may be golden.   Steve  DeOssie's boy was on their roster for several years too.  

• 2 years later...

FCB

Spoiler

When last we saw Breckyn Hager, he was smashing opponents on the football field for the Texas Longhorns. Come June 20, you’ll see Hager on the big screen as Merle Greathouse, a football star who opposes a Fort Worth orphanage’s team known as the Mighty Mites.

The Mites, a team of orphans, began playing without enough money for complete uniforms and grew into one of the most talented teams in the state.

The movie, based on a true story written by Jim Dent, has a cast that includes Luke Wilson, Robert Duval and Martin Sheen.

“People are going to love this movie, because it’s a great story about overcoming adversity and believing in what is possible,” Hager told Horns247.

Hager was cast as Merrill Greathouse, who was known at the time as the best football player in Texas. Greathouse went on to Oklahoma, where he ended up being roommates with OU teammate Darrell K Royal.

“I thought it was appropriate that a guy who played for the Longhorns in a stadium named for Darrell Royal would play DKR’s roommate,” Hager laughed.

Hager said the director of 12 Mighty Orphans, Ty Roberts, encouraged Hager to make the football scenes as authentic as possible.

“I was hitting these guys so hard, they started complaining,” Hager said.

Hager said he is also in another movie called “The Blazing World,” which is expected to be released in October.

“I actually found out about the plans to make 12 Mighty Orphans while I was training for the NFL,” Hager said. “And that (movies) ended up being my calling.”

Breckyn said he has formed a production company with his father, Brit, UT’s all-time leading tackler, and they are looking to put five more films into production.

Hager said he’s trying to keep up with Longhorns’ football.

“I support Steve Sarkisian,” Hager said. “I’m excited to see what these Longhorns can do.”

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

• Machinator changed the title to Breckyn Hager thread of insanity and hair dominance