CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Not sure that's a move Major should make..... or else watch your back Jack.

Seth Litrell at KState instead of Tech is a safer move for Seth. 

Not so sure Kirby gonna survive as AD unless former Utah State HC is an overachiever quickly at Tech.....

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

No more Purple Football Wizard?  That didn't go down like I thought it would.  I know he was trying to shoehorn his son in there....

I think it didn't go down like he thought it would, either. 

Such a strange, sad ending for a coaching legend if the rumors are true.  Sounds like he has wanted to step down but was trying to hold out until they said his son, who no one wanted and was not at all qualified, could replace him. 

It's hard to think in the long run kstate fans will have anything other than good feelings for Snyder, as they should, but his last chapter as coach is certainly ending with a fizzle. 

Edited by Bill Lumbergh

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

So does Harrell stay as HC at North Texas??

Cumbie get a N.Tx interview maybe?

Arky OC??

Arkansas OC Joe Craddock won't be a candidate for any jobs.  Too young, inexperienced, and coming off a terrible year at Arkansas.

Arkansas AHC/RB Jeff Traylor (former UT asisstant) wants a HC job in Texas badly, but UNT is too big of a job for him right now.  He tried to get in the mix at Texas State but they had a number of better candidate.  Traylor is interviewing with his alma mater Stephen F Austin in the next few days.

SBN gives the Wells hire an A

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/11/17/18099265/college-football-coaching-changes-2018-grades

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/11/30/18119073/matt-wells-texas-tech-head-coach

• Matt Wells hiring grade: A. The geographic fit isn’t perfect, but other than that? Wells was head coach or coordinator for Utah State’s three best seasons since the 1960s, and could’ve had even more than that if not for rotten injury luck during the middle of his time there. Per Steven Godfrey in the offseason, other coaches believed Wells would get it turned back around, and now the small program (No. 10 in the MWC in revenue) ranks No. 22 in 2018 S&P+. was head coach or c

Edited by texifornia

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'm waiting until after a few seasons  before I make a judgement.  I don't know why the fan base is so up in arms.  None of us actually interviewed any of the candidates

7 minutes ago, DeadArmadillo said:

I'm waiting until after a few seasons  before I make a judgement.  I don't know why the fan base is so up in arms.  None of us actually interviewed any of the candidates

"You're not an AD you have no idea what makes a great college coach."

Man, I didn't even know it was possible to take the "ur nawt a coarch" to the next level. 

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Gibbs did quite well by Tech standards as DC. Agreed that him dropping back down to G5 suggests that he might think he could snipe Major's job.

Briles is who Major has to watch out for

1. he is a Briles

2. the fans like him better than Major already

3. they just signed Briles to a 3 year deal to keep him from looking at Texas State and that is the same length Major has left

4. I am sure #3 was done without the real input of Major other than pretty much telling him.....while that was probably fine with Major to a degree I am sure it was "hey Major tilman is doing this" with no asking about it

5. The president of UH and tilman are both the type that will do stupid shit just to back up the other stupid shit they have already said they would do so if Major does not get to that 10 win "standard" at UH next year which will be pretty difficult to do and the offense is not the reason for it well Briles might be taking over

6. the way the contract is with Major the buyout includes the guaranteed money for other coaches that are not retained so in signing Briles to a 3 year deal that makes a buyout for Major that much more expensive for another program.....which fucks Major that much more

I think UH would probably retain Briles if Major left, but if for some reason Major was to get 8 or 9 wins next year (and probably not get a contract extension or get one with shitty pay and an even shittier buyout and the shittiest guaranteed money and only for a year or two) and Major was to get a job offer (from anywhere that is not UH) and Briles was not retained that is just that much more of a buyout for the school hiring Major......and if that school wanted Briles too well I am sure the Briles contract has a buyout in it to leave before 3 years as well

so the contract fucks Major two ways.....that much harder to leave without Briles and that much harder to leave with Briles

2 hours ago, TexasFan21 said:

Orlando makes 800k more at Texas than Wells made as HC. 

Aranda makes more than the entire Utah State coaching staff made last year. 

The current AD hired the head coach at Troy State. I'm sure he will be on the list. 

Andersen makes the most sense. Assuming he's done having breakdowns or whatever the fuck happened in Corvallis. 

5 minutes ago, pops said:

Orlando makes 800k more at Texas than Wells made as HC. 

Aranda makes more than the entire Utah State coaching staff made last year. 

The current AD hired the head coach at Troy State. I'm sure he will be on the list. 

Andersen makes the most sense. Assuming he's done having breakdowns or whatever the fuck happened in Corvallis.  

Neal Brown at Troy is one of the top two or three hottest names this cycle (with Satterfield from App State and Littrell at UNT). He's not leaving for a tougher G5 gig.

45 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

Briles is who Major has to watch out for

1. he is a Briles

2. the fans like him better than Major already

3. they just signed Briles to a 3 year deal to keep him from looking at Texas State and that is the same length Major has left

4. I am sure #3 was done without the real input of Major other than pretty much telling him.....while that was probably fine with Major to a degree I am sure it was "hey Major tilman is doing this" with no asking about it

5. The president of UH and tilman are both the type that will do stupid shit just to back up the other stupid shit they have already said they would do so if Major does not get to that 10 win "standard" at UH next year which will be pretty difficult to do and the offense is not the reason for it well Briles might be taking over

6. the way the contract is with Major the buyout includes the guaranteed money for other coaches that are not retained so in signing Briles to a 3 year deal that makes a buyout for Major that much more expensive for another program.....which fucks Major that much more

7.  UH is okay with rapiness

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Neal Brown at Troy is one of the top two or three hottest names this cycle (with Satterfield from App State and Littrell at UNT). He's not leaving for a tougher G5 gig.

the odd thing is he is not really being talked about for most positions

I said before I thought he would say no to Tech (no idea if he was even talked to) and equally Tech would be wise to not bring him because there is a rabid group of morons that would be waiting to pounce on him

but googling his name here is an interesting article about Brown and Louisville

http://www.thecardinalconnect.com/the-awkward-truth-of-neal-brown-and-louisville/

he has strong Kentucky ties and has apparently taken shots at Louisville before (and who hasn't rightfully) so there is another place that IMO brown would be smart to avoid and that has a ready made group of idiot fans that would pounce on him instantly.....not to mention Louisville is a shit fire right now across the board in all athletics areas

then with the retreading at UNC and Kansas that cuts down on the other decent jobs that are not a jump to another G5 that is a better G5

39 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'm not saying he will go, I just know he and Hartwell are boys. 

I agree, he will do better than Utah State. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Arkansas OC Joe Craddock won't be a candidate for any jobs.  Too young, inexperienced, and coming off a terrible year at Arkansas.

Arkansas AHC/RB Jeff Traylor (former UT asisstant) wants a HC job in Texas badly, but UNT is too big of a job for him right now.  He tried to get in the mix at Texas State but they had a number of better candidate.  Traylor is interviewing with his alma mater Stephen F Austin in the next few days.

Apparently Traylor just withdrew his name from consideration for SFA HC.