CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

3 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

some ADs are going to have to play a game of Rich Rich Todd

it is kind of the opposite of Duck Duck Goose where you go around in circles and put your hand on the head of a coach and the next to last one playing gets Rich Rod and the loser gets Todd Graham

Saw a story that Rich Rod was in Oxford, Miss this week talking to them about the OC job.

16 minutes ago, G650 said:

He does, but would he trade Oregon for it?

Better talent base, but more competition and expectations. It's his home but honestly seems like a wash.

Honestly I think Um might be a dying program... many many other places have a lot more potential.  The ONLY thing UM has is a talent rich backyard and Southbeach...  literally nothing  else.  Yup I'm bias, but when I take off my Orange & Blue glasses, there is just not that much there once uncle Luke stopped the cashcokehooker bounties

Quick quiz, how many times has mighty Duh U won the ACC?

Edited by Loco

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Is Herman a threat to leave for the NFL? Why are Rhule and Campbell considered NFL candidates over him? 

You should enjoy reading how people will dance around your question. Because no one on this thread has the brass to give you their honest opinion. But of course you knew that before you posed the question.

11 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

You should enjoy reading how people will dance around your question. Because no one on this thread has the brass to give you their honest opinion. But of course you knew that before you posed the question.

I don't think you understand how NFL coaching hires work. If you're insinuating that those two coaches are better than Herman simply because they are getting NFL interest your position is misguided. 

Do you think Kingsbury is a better coach than Herman? Or Pat Fizgerald? Both these guys are going to be hot names in the NFL and both are average to shit head coaches in college football. 

Edited by texasstrong12

22 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's weird that people have such a high opinion of Holgorsen. He's 38-32 in the Big 12. WV is probably going to let him walk and get a coach with a higher upside at a much lower price. 

Holgo isn't OU material. 

Just for the record I do not have a high opinion of Holgorsen.   It was just a question nothing implied just curious what direction ou would go

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Loco said:

Honestly I think Um might be a dying program... many many other places have a lot more potential.  The ONLY thing UM has is a talent rich backyard and Southbeach...  literally nothing  else.  Yup I'm bias, but when I take off my Orange & Blue glasses, there is just not that much there once uncle Luke stopped the cashcokehooker bounties

Quick quiz, how many times has mighty Duh U won the ACC?

You are bias? Bias personified?

10 minutes ago, Whitman said:

He very well may leave, but you are saying that there is a possibility that Dana leaves WVU to go coach Temple?

If he and WVU can't get along and part ways and he still wants to be HC, why not? He's not going to be in high demand for a P5 job, do you think?

18 minutes ago, Whitman said:

He very well may leave, but you are saying that there is a possibility that Dana leaves WVU to go coach Temple?

I don't think he would because Temple is not stupid and desperate enough to pay him what it would take Vs what UH will pay him

but I would laugh if some booster of Temple got pissed about _iaz leaving and coughed up the cash and screwed Houston (again if Miami goes after _iaz which i don't think they will)

Edited by ButtFumble

2 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

If he and WVU can't get along and part ways and he still wants to be HC, why not? He's not going to be in high demand for a P5 job, do you think?

I would think he would be in high demand in these times of teams looking for offensive minded coaches. He's definitely one of the best offensive minds in college football and has done decent at West Virginia considering their move to the Big XII.

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I would think he would be in high demand in these times of teams looking for offensive minded coaches. He's definitely one of the best offensive minds in college football and has done decent at West Virginia considering their move to the Big XII.

I honestly don't know. I just didn't think the possibility of him going to Temple if he and WV parted ways was so far fetched if Diaz turned and went south.

18 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

If he and WVU can't get along and part ways and he still wants to be HC, why not?

Because it's Temple.  Again, he may leave (our current AD didn't hire him, Oliver Luck did), and it may be time for a change for him, but it won't be for Temple.  I could see UH or some mid-west G5 school more likely. 

7 minutes ago, Whitman said:

Because it's Temple.  Again, he may leave (our current AD didn't hire him, Oliver Luck did), and it may be time for a change for him, but it won't be for Temple.  I could see UH or some mid-west G5 school more likely. 

Fair enough, the geographical reason makes sense. He's seemed out of place in Morgantown. 

Just now, El Diablo said:

Fair enough, the geographical reason makes sense. He's seemed out of place in Morgantown. 

Yea, a little.  Some of the stuff you've see written on the internet is complete bullshit about him and his family and living arrangements and Morgantown.  Heck, one person was writing about his kids being back in Texas ,all the while his son was actually the QB at the high school here in Morgantown and is headed to Bowling Green next year, and Dana's dad is living with him at the house they built here.  Dana can be a bit of a surly bitch, and isn't exactly a corporate smoozer type with alumni.  That's fine if you are winning big, but not so much if you are mediocre, especially with what we had gotten used to the years before he arrived.  Another contract extension that they were working on is stalled right now, but that's just business these days most of the time.  

Dana is an excellent top notch WR coach, a very good OC, but still after 7 years just a mediocre to "ok" head coach.  Middle of the pack in the Big 12.  Can we get a better one here? Yea, if it is a young one that is just a stepping stone.  Hit or miss there though.  Also, nowadays, maybe 7-8 years is about it for a head coach no matter the level.       

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Not a great look for U of H : https://www.yahoo.com/sports/major-applewhites-job-limbo-reveals-administrative-clown-show-houston-233551453.html

My biggest take away is that Pete Thamel thinks Holgo to Houston is done. 

UH fans think that Petey T is a Tom Herman voice box and that UT and The Big 12 are scared that UH will rise up and control the Houston market again.....in other words they are total idiots

they think that Tom spoon fed Petey T information about coming to Texas so that the story would get written the right way and things would start out good for Tom

between this and tOSU Tom is apparently a powerful media mother fucker

Edited by ButtFumble

6 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

UH fans think that Petey T is a Tom Herman voice box and that UT and The Big 12 are scared that UH will rise up and control the Houston market again.....in other words they are total idiots

they think that Tom spoon fed Petey T information about coming to Texas so that the story would get written the right way and things would start out good for Tom

between this and tOSU Tom is apparently a powerful media mother fucker

Yeah that's some Oprah level stuff if true Coug High fan. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I hate Diaz but he didn't do too bad after getting away from Mack... His (no) defenses here were a product disconnection between the d-line coach, the lb coach and the secondary coach. Diaz was left powerless to fix the disfunction when Mack didn't step in and back the DC.

Those last Mack years were a trainwreck.  Offense was not any better.  Harsin nor Applre could target the recruits they wanted without fighting Mack which didn't ever go so well...  The benching of one of our more talented player had alot to do with punishing the offensive coordinators for not running the scheme Mack wanted the first two game. Starting game 3 we had the back to back "power" run up the middle, followed by the 3rd and 17 incomplete (or pick).

Now Mack to NC is interesting. I think he will do good there for awhile. That is if he can ever regain that spark. He wants to stick it to us Texas fans so bad and prove we were wrong, so he has the motivation...  it will be interesting to see how it affects recruitng. Both ours but especially aggy. Mack can recruit and still has a lot of friends in Texas HS.

2 hours ago, Horn80 said:

Don’t get the Manny Diaz hire.

20 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

I hate Diaz but he didn't do too bad after getting away from Mack... His (no) defenses here were a product disconnection between the d-line coach, the lb coach and the secondary coach. Diaz was left powerless to fix the disfunction when Mack didn't step in and back the DC.

Those last Mack years were a trainwreck.  Offense was not any better.  Harsin nor Applre could target the recruits they wanted without fighting Mack which didn't ever go so well...  The benching of one of our more talented player had alot to do with punishing the offensive coordinators for not running the scheme Mack wanted the first two game. Starting game 3 we had the back to back "power" run up the middle, followed by the 3rd and 17 incomplete (or pick).

Now Mack to NC is interesting. I think he will do good there for awhile. That is if he can ever regain that spark. He wants to stick it to us Texas fans so bad and prove we were wrong, so he has the motivation...  it will be interesting to see how it affects recruitng. Both ours but especially aggy. Mack can recruit and still has a lot of friends in Texas HS.

Agree with your take on Manny’s time with Mack.  I thought the DB coach had a big chip on his shoulder about being demoted as DC and undermined Manny.  Mack seemed complicit letting It happen and it all went to shit as we know.   Thought something was fucked up with Harsin not getting fair shake too and he had the good sense to get out as soon as practicable.  Not sure how Mack will do well at NC but possible.  But my bet is no.

Edited by Horn80